Princely Family of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whilst I agree that it is great to be able to read many of these titles for free, it isn't always a rip off to buy the book. If you take the example of Grace by Phyllida Hart-Davis, the book contains many lovely photos which you are not going to get by reading the text on line. Similarly, some of the antiquarian books about Monaco contain lithographs and early photos of the principality. As a bibliophile, I feel there is a pleasure to be gained from a book which online can't provide. Horses for courses I guess.

If you want to read a really excellent book about Grace, check out Steven Englund. He actually knew the princess and he began to write his book with her consent before her death, but in fact it was only published a little bit after her death.

If you want to read a really excellent book about Grace, check out Steven Englund. He actually knew the princess and he began to write his book with her consent before her death, but in fact it was only published a little bit after her death.

Yes I agree- definitely one of the best Grace biographies.

Whilst I agree that it is great to be able to read many of these titles for free, it isn't always a rip off to buy the book. If you take the example of Grace by Phyllida Hart-Davis, the book contains many lovely photos which you are not going to get by reading the text on line. Similarly, some of the antiquarian books about Monaco contain lithographs and early photos of the principality. As a bibliophile, I feel there is a pleasure to be gained from a book which online can't provide. Horses for courses I guess.

It's true, in some cases it can be worth it for a collector's item.

Jeffrey Robinson has updated his biography "Rainier & Grace" with a publication date and a new title to coincide with the Grace film.

Amazon

Obviously this has been in the planning for sometime, and before all the controversy about the film emerged so Mr. Robinson, who is a personal friend of the Grimaldi family, must be more than a little embarrassed about the situation. In a recent interview for The Lady magazine, he commented " The writer got Grace totally wrong ...don't tell me this is a biopic when the writer didn't have a clue who he was writing about."

This is a good book.

As for the film, it's undeniable that it took several liberties. As a work of fiction, the film was quite entertaining. If the film, even though it's from the Weinstein company:whistling:, encourages the person who has never read a book about Monaco to pick up a book and learn the truth, I'm happy. I think sometimes these sensational films, even if not highly marked for historical accuracy, can serve a noble purpose in piquing the interest in a person just enough to go forth and learn more! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Albert at 60.
https://livre.fnac.com/a11245325/Isabelle-Rivere-Albert-II-de-Monaco-l-homme-et-le-prince

Google translate:
Of all the sovereigns of the twenty-first century, Albert II of Monaco is undoubtedly the one we feel closest to, the one whose history seems most familiar to us.
In our mind the story of his singular path has been engraved. That of a child born of the love between a prince and a star, a man touched by glory and tragedy, head of state, environmental advocate on a global scale, Olympic competitor, husband and father of family.
But do we really know him?
The Prince confided to two journalists during exceptional interviews, in which he talks candidly about his official and personal life.
At his side, his wife, Princess Charlene, and her sisters, the Princess of Hanover and Princess Stephanie, tell here, for the first time, the man they love.

Princely Monaco XXI is an ebook by Anonymous Author. It's about the House of Grimaldi in the 21st century.

Grace of Monaco: Princess in Dior is a new book based on the current exhibition in Normandy of the long association that Grace had with the fashion house of Dior. There are some previously unseen photos of Grace including one of her dancing at the ball to celebrate Caroline’s first wedding, with a clear view of an unidentified tiara never to be seen worn by her again, plus some gowns and various outfits which haven’t been photographed before. It is a lovely coffee table book with some interesting articles from a range of contributors.
Further details below
https://www.rizzoliusa.com/book/9780847865925/

I read it. The one and only chapter I liked was the one about Monaco's history.
The rest I found soo boring.

I do not believe some of what I've read about Princess Grace. I have read two bios, one was by Donald Spoto, and the Donald Spoto one was not as bad as the other one. So, I don't plan to read any more bios of Princess Grace.

I do not believe some of what I've read about Princess Grace. I have read two bios, one was by Donald Spoto, and the Donald Spoto one was not as bad as the other one. So, I don't plan to read any more bios of Princess Grace.

What is so terrible about Princess Grace?

Two recent, fictionalised accounts for fans of Grace are
‘Meet Me in Monaco’ by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb which is a novel set around the wedding of Grace & Rainier, and ‘Girl in White Gloves’ by Kerri Maher, a biographical novel.
I have read the former and enjoyed it for what it is, an imaginary version of what it was like in Monaco in the lead up to the wedding. I have just begun reading the latter title and, although it is a work of fiction, it is well researched and doesn’t appear to be sensationalised. Both titles are available for preview on the Amazon website.

Agree with the blurb that there should be a biography of Princess Caroline, but as has been noted elsewhere before, who would dare given the reputation she has gained, over the years, for taking legal action. It would be wonderful if someone gained her confidence like Gwen Robyns did with Grace.

I'd like to read this, even though I suspect that there will not be a comprehensive and serious biography of the woman who was Europe's most beautiful princess until she passes on.:sad:

I read that on Kindle Unlimited. I get notices about all royal biographies on amazon and I read that one in a day or two.

I hate doing a double post. But I couldn’t edit for some reason. Maybe there’s a time limit for editing. I need to ask if anyone else read the marvelous French biography of Albert II. If you’re able to read French it’s REALLY REALLY GOOD. The interviews! Stephanie ! Her protectiveness of her brother really touched me. “Do not mess with my brother.” There was also the nanny Maureen, how much Caroline and Albert attached to her, and Chris Le Vine, who talked about the 50 (states) before 50 tour. The whole thing really opened my eyes to how generous a heart Albert he has. He is nonstop, he is always in motion. His energy is incredible. So much energy! I hope the publisher translates to more languages and then more people can see him well-rounded.

I hate doing a double post. But I couldn’t edit for some reason. Maybe there’s a time limit for editing. I need to ask if anyone else read the marvelous French biography of Albert II. If you’re able to read French it’s REALLY REALLY GOOD. The interviews! Stephanie ! Her protectiveness of her brother really touched me. “Do not mess with my brother.” There was also the nanny Maureen, how much Caroline and Albert attached to her, and Chris Le Vine, who talked about the 50 (states) before 50 tour. The whole thing really opened my eyes to how generous a heart Albert he has. He is nonstop, he is always in motion. His energy is incredible. So much energy! I hope the publisher translates to more languages and then more people can see him well-rounded.

Interesting news. And good for Alberts reputation. So far I have the impression that everywhere he is being put down. People think him to be a bad guy because of his illigitimate children, being a womanizer etc.
We don't know him, of course, but his image on social media and in forums is just bad. I am sure he has not deserved it.

He was probably naive, not protecting himself when he fathered those children in his younger years. When you are famous, royal and rich there might always be women who want to use that status. And he was not really aware of this.

I would like to read this book, but my French is not sufficiently good for reading it. If it was in English, I would like to read it. What is the titel, who is the author? Maybe you can give some information about this.

Somehow I cannot find your answer about the authors of the book about Albert. But thanks very much . I found it on amazon. Unfortunately it is only in French. Maybe they will issue an English oder German version in the future.

In the writeup about one biography of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier, Publishersweekly uses the word demythologized. I had not considered that the married life of Princess Grace would be considered a myth.
The "happily ever after" marriage of Grace Kelly to Prince Rainier III of Monaco is explored and demythologized in ONCE UPON A TIME: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier by J. Randy Taraborrelli.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-446-53164-1

In the writeup about one biography of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier, Publishersweekly uses the word demythologized. I had not considered that the married life of Princess Grace would be considered a myth.
The "happily ever after" marriage of Grace Kelly to Prince Rainier III of Monaco is explored and demythologized in ONCE UPON A TIME: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier by J. Randy Taraborrelli.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-446-53164-1

Thanks very much for the info. I just ordered the book for my kindle for just 5.99 Euro, looking forward to reading it.

I think the term is simply referring to the idea that their marriage was a ‘happily ever after’ scenario, when clearly like any long lasting marriage they had their ups and downs. This biography has been published for a little while now. I have a copy and it’s definitely one of the better ones in terms of research, but I think the point was reached sometime ago when a cluster of biographies were published within a few years of each other, that there is really nothing new to add.

Right as the princess is trying to recover her health and equilibrium. She is recommitting to her responsibilities and her duties, I doubt if a tell all book would be helpful or welcome.

I wouldn't blame Albert if he tries to suppress it, and something tells me that Charlene wouldn't either.:cool:

I’m afraid that’s the price of a life lived in the public eye and Charlene is no exception. There are many royals and celebrities who have had unauthorised accounts published at a stressful time in their lives. I don’t mean to sound uncaring, but I am surprised there hasn’t already been a book.

Back
Top Bottom