Princely Family of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
mwhite3182 said:
There's a book by Jean-Paul Champagne, a commentator on popular press, that claims the Monaco royal family (among others) exploits French privacy laws as an extra source of income. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-stars-cashing-on-strict-privacy-laws-/2006/01/23/1305624.htm

Any thoughts on the subject?
I didn't read the whole article I had no need to. I could say many things however I will say this Jean-Paul Champagne wanted a piece of the action of all he wrote about and will make a few million with endorsements.

I agree . . .

LadyMacAlpine said:
I didn't read the whole article I had no need to. I could say many things however I will say this Jean-Paul Champagne wanted a piece of the action of all he wrote about and will make a few million with endorsements.
He's just as guilty as though he accuses of exploitation!

Princess Grace of Monaco's wedding dress

The Philadelphia museum of art has published a book to coincide with their exhibition of Princess Grace's wedding dress and prayer book. The book can be found on their website www.philamuseum.org
I have ordered this book but can't look at it yet as someone bought it for me for my birthday in a few weeks. I can't wait, it looks gorgeous!

Thanks for posting that link, angiep. I will definitely be ordering it.

Princess Caroline - books?

Hi - I've just joined the forum so I hope I'm not repeating anything that may have been discussed before, but I've been wondering for a long time why there hasn't been any official biography of Caroline. I thought something might have been published to mark her 50th birthday, but i haven't come across anything as yet. :cry: I can only find one title listed on Amazon about Caroline & I think its a children's book. I know that Royalty mag published a Caroline special a while ago but it's pretty poor pickings for someone of Caro's standing - particularly when you see who does have biographies written about them these days:bang:
Here's hoping one day..
Elly C

The one you find on amazon is indeed a children's book.
There was also one from the writer Betrand Stabley-Meyer or Meyer-Stabley.
I've seen the cover once on a website, but I've never found the book itself.

The one you find on amazon is indeed a children's book.
There was also one from the writer Betrand Stabley-Meyer or Meyer-Stabley.
I've seen the cover once on a website, but I've never found the book itself.

I have been wondering the same thing, about why there are not more biographies of P.Caroline. I own three, one in French, two in English (don't have the books with me, will have to check who the authors are). There was one that came out at about the time she got married to Philippe Junot, in English, but it seemed so full of inaccuracies I actually threw it away ! It's never resurfaced in my searches.

Her life is covered in some depth in several of the biographies of her parents, but obviously the authors borrow from each other, so you never read anything new. I haven't seen anything since her marriage to P.Ernst.

I always look when I am in used bookstores or any library. It is surprising what one can find : books I didn't even know existed.

I now make it a policy to buy any book about Monaco if I can find them discounted, otherwise experience has taught me I may never find them again...Besides it gives a goal when you are foraging in a used bookstore.

Thanks for the information. :flowers: I would really appreciate the details of the biographies you mention if you ever come across them. I have a biography of Caroline & Stephanie by Susan Crimp & Patricia Burstein written in 1998 but as you say there's often much reworking of the same information in many of the books published. I would have thought Caroline might have trusted someone to tell her story like Grace did with Gwen Robyns (is this author still alive?) Alternatively wouldn't it be wonderful to have some kind of photographic tribute?

Thanks for the information. :flowers: I would really appreciate the details of the biographies you mention if you ever come across them. I have a biography of Caroline & Stephanie by Susan Crimp & Patricia Burstein written in 1998 but as you say there's often much reworking of the same information in many of the books published. I would have thought Caroline might have trusted someone to tell her story like Grace did with Gwen Robyns (is this author still alive?) Alternatively wouldn't it be wonderful to have some kind of photographic tribute?

It sure would be. There are actually a few photographic tributes, but either they focus on Grace (with a little bit of her children), or on the Monaco family (with quite a bit on the children). There is a great one, in French, with beautiful pictures and fun captions. I'll get the title for you. It was discounted at a newspaper stand at a train station in France, I got it for the equivalent of $5 ! I was so amazed I asked the cashier if he was not making a mistake, and he pointed out it was discounted. I couldn't believe my good luck, but it also made me wonder if books on the Monaco royals are just not that popular in France ? I would have thought the opposite...

It sure would be. There are actually a few photographic tributes, but either they focus on Grace (with a little bit of her children), or on the Monaco family (with quite a bit on the children). There is a great one, in French, with beautiful pictures and fun captions. I'll get the title for you. It was discounted at a newspaper stand at a train station in France, I got it for the equivalent of $5 ! I was so amazed I asked the cashier if he was not making a mistake, and he pointed out it was discounted. I couldn't believe my good luck, but it also made me wonder if books on the Monaco royals are just not that popular in France ? I would have thought the opposite...

Yes I agree. I've made quite a few visits to branches of Fnac including the one in Monaco & its very slim pickings.

The princely family of Monaco - books?

I recommend the following books:

“Rainier, un prince de légende”
by Philippe Delorme
Editeur: Michel Lafon
Français
ISBN : 2-7499-0356-4
http://www.michel-lafon.fr/img/RAINIER_1142516433.JPG

“Albert II de Monaco: Les surprises du prince”
by Philippe Delorme
Editeur: Michel Lafon
22 février 2006
Français
ISBN: 978-2749905013
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xAre2CdtL._SS400_.jpg

I don't know if this has been mentioned in any thread but I've discovered 3 new books on Princess Grace while I was in Paris (and of course broke my piggy bank to acquire them) :

- Paperback : Movie Icons. Kelly. Taschen. Editor : Paul Duncan. text: Glenn Hopp; Photos : The Kobal Collection. 2007. Text mostly in English

- Grace Kelly, Princesse du Cinema. Preface de S.A.S le Prince Albert II de Monaco, Stanislas Choko editions. 2007 (beautiful pictures from her films), in French and English, but it's mostly pictures anyway.

- Les annees Grace Kelly, Princesse de Monaco, Skira Editore, Grimaldi Forum Monaco, by Frederic Mitterrand, 2007. Absolutely gorgeous pictures, memorabilia like letters, quite a bit on her life in Monaco. In French.

There's a further new title "Grace Kelly" by Stephane Bern - lovely pictures in black & white & colour with text in French approx 140 pages.
I also noticed on Amazon that a new biography on Grace by Donald Spoto is scheduled for 2009.:) Now if only we could have one on Caroline`

There's a further new title "Grace Kelly" by Stephane Bern - lovely pictures in black & white & colour with text in French approx 140 pages.
I also noticed on Amazon that a new biography on Grace by Donald Spoto is scheduled for 2009.:) Now if only we could have one on Caroline`

Just got back from Borders in Dallas:The first 2 books I mentioned exist in the American version. However, I haven't seen the third one. I wonder if it has been translated and published here.

Frederic Mitterand Princess Grace book

I recently read this book about Princess Grace published back in 2007. It's mostly pictures and only valuable for the pictures in my opinion, but for the pictures alone, it's a really worthwhile book. There were pictures I hadn't seen in there, my favorite being on p. 79 a picture of Grace in 1955 in a green and cream Cassini gown wearing green-blue eyeshadow. It's such a lovely image by Erwin Blumenfeld and I hope it's been posted somewhere on the forum, because you just have to see it! :flowers: Anyway, this book which is a VERY large extensive picture book also has great pictures of her actual clothes and then pictures of her wearing them. This is really a must have book- it's the best photo book on Grace I've ever seen. It was interesting seeing some pictures of her clothes too. Has anyone else read it? I looked for a thread on it but couldn't find any, and tried search to see if it's discussed in any thread, but couldn't find much.

I read this book, it's a very beautiful and interesting book of Grace, later Princess Grace of Monaco. I love her photos the most where she captured with Oleg Casini.
He created for Grace a few beautiful gowns. Lovely and perfect!

Yes, he did. It was interesting seeing the pictures of the gown that she wore when meeting Rainier for the first time. It wasn't a Cassini gown ( obviously), but it was really ugly. I suppose it was typical for the 1950s though, but still horrid.

Yes, I see you mean the taffeta dress with floral motif Grace wore for the occasion, an American creation, will be on view along with photographs of them strolling through the Palace grounds.
I read she wore it at last moment, as she had no the other one.

I don't know why, but Grace's photos from childhood are rare to meet.
I would like to see more photos from Grace's childhood. Photos from a child's age are the prettiest of all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I believe so and that her hair was also wet ( although put up) because the electricity at the hotel went out I think and she couldn't get a blow dryer plugged in. Not an auspicious first meeting woth Rainier, but it worked out okay, as they later married. I enjoyed especially all the photos of Grace's childhood in the book, as you don't see those often.

I suppose it's because there's never been a photo book about her published that is supposed to show her childhood. All the photo books focus on her movie star and Princess years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, he did. It was interesting seeing the pictures of the gown that she wore when meeting Rainier for the first time. It wasn't a Cassini gown ( obviously), but it was really ugly. I suppose it was typical for the 1950s though, but still horrid.
I disagree respectfully.I have seen the floral dress in Monaco and Paris and I think it is really beautiful.

I think all biographies of her say it was ugly, or not suited for the occasion since it wasn't ironed due to the lack of electricity. It's hard to tell the exact color of it from the black and white photos, but seeing it in this book gives you more of an idea of what it actually looked like, and I can't say I like it better, knowing what it looks like. But I'm glad the book included it because it was very interesting to see it.

The book " Monaco Cool"

I just the Monaco Cool, do anyone else read it? If so, what do you think of it.

I read it a few years ago - have just taken a glance to remind myself. It's quite a light hearted read with some witty impressions from the author of the Principality & several references to the Grimaldi family during the years of Grace. I wouldn't really recommend it for its Royal content though

"High Society: The Life of Grace Kelly" by Donald Spoto (2009)

Review of the latest Grace Kelly biography

High Society Donald Spoto

Has anyone read it yet?

Another review of the latest Grace biography - I find it striking that the Telegraph reviewer & the Sunday Times in the previous post reserve most of their comment / dissatisfaction because Spoto chooses not to dwell on the gossip surrounding the relationships Grace had during her Hollywood years. Why should this be a fault?:yuk: There are other aspects to good, informative biographical writing.
High Society

Back
Top Bottom