The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I read this book, it's a very beautiful and interesting book of Grace, later Princess Grace of Monaco. I love her photos the most where she captured with Oleg Casini.
He created for Grace a few beautiful gowns. Lovely and perfect!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Nobility

Yes, he did. It was interesting seeing the pictures of the gown that she wore when meeting Rainier for the first time. It wasn't a Cassini gown ( obviously), but it was really ugly. I suppose it was typical for the 1950s though, but still horrid.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I see you mean the taffeta dress with floral motif Grace wore for the occasion, an American creation, will be on view along with photographs of them strolling through the Palace grounds.
I read she wore it at last moment, as she had no the other one.

I don't know why, but Grace's photos from childhood are rare to meet.
I would like to see more photos from Grace's childhood. Photos from a child's age are the prettiest of all.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Nobility

Yes, I believe so and that her hair was also wet ( although put up) because the electricity at the hotel went out I think and she couldn't get a blow dryer plugged in. Not an auspicious first meeting woth Rainier, but it worked out okay, as they later married. I enjoyed especially all the photos of Grace's childhood in the book, as you don't see those often.

I suppose it's because there's never been a photo book about her published that is supposed to show her childhood. All the photo books focus on her movie star and Princess years.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
Yes, he did. It was interesting seeing the pictures of the gown that she wore when meeting Rainier for the first time. It wasn't a Cassini gown ( obviously), but it was really ugly. I suppose it was typical for the 1950s though, but still horrid.
I disagree respectfully.I have seen the floral dress in Monaco and Paris and I think it is really beautiful.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Nobility

I think all biographies of her say it was ugly, or not suited for the occasion since it wasn't ironed due to the lack of electricity. It's hard to tell the exact color of it from the black and white photos, but seeing it in this book gives you more of an idea of what it actually looked like, and I can't say I like it better, knowing what it looks like. But I'm glad the book included it because it was very interesting to see it.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Cool The book " Monaco Cool"

I just the Monaco Cool, do anyone else read it? If so, what do you think of it.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Royal Highness

I read it a few years ago - have just taken a glance to remind myself. It's quite a light hearted read with some witty impressions from the author of the Principality & several references to the Grimaldi family during the years of Grace. I wouldn't really recommend it for its Royal content though
Old 06-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Royal Highness

"High Society: The Life of Grace Kelly" by Donald Spoto (2009)

Review of the latest Grace Kelly biography

High Society Donald Spoto

Has anyone read it yet?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

Another review of the latest Grace biography - I find it striking that the Telegraph reviewer & the Sunday Times in the previous post reserve most of their comment / dissatisfaction because Spoto chooses not to dwell on the gossip surrounding the relationships Grace had during her Hollywood years. Why should this be a fault? There are other aspects to good, informative biographical writing.
High Society
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Nobility

Albert II new book

Title: Albert II de Monaco: L' Autre Prince
Author: Christiane Stahl
Editions du Rocher, France
They are conversations with Prince Albert II

New book published in Monaco reveals real Prince - The Riviera Times Online

L'autre prince lève le voile sur la personnalité «intime» d'Albert II - Monaco - Monaco - Côte d'Azur - l'actualité en direct avec Nice-Matin - nicematin.com
Old 04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness

I recently purchased the title "Hommage to Grace Kellly (see link below) & can highly recommend it if you are looking for a comprehensive photographic tribute to Grace both as an actress & Princess of Monaco. Although the brief text is in French, the photos are numerous ( over 500 pages!) & include a few that I don't think have appeared in any other books on Grace, it's a lovely book to own & not that expensive.
Another newly published title that is attractively presented & again contains many lovely photos is " A Touch of Grace".
Both books don't contain new information about Grace as they are not meant to be regarded as biographies, but they are very pleasing coffee table books.

Hommage to Grace Kelly
A Touch of Grace
Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

Did anybody else read "The Royal House of Monaco by John Glatt. Published in 1998? The author seems to have done extensive research on the Grimaldi family after Princess Grace's death. I was wondering what another person thinks about the revelations on Prince Rainer, Princess Caroline, Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

It's a few years since I read this but I remember thinking at the time that there would have been some attempt by the family to prevent publication if the claims were unsubstantiated. As you say, the author cites quite an impressive amount of references. Which revelations were you particularly interested in?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Royal Highness

About the in-depth information on Grace's children. These items listed stand out to me.

Princess Caroline's 2nd husband's possible mafia connection that led to his death and vandalizing his grave. Vandals never caught. Caroline's relationship with her sister, Princess Stephanie. Princess Caroline because blames her sister for her mother's death. Princess Caroline's role in stopping her father from marrying Princess Ira. Princess Caroline's hair lost was because of her relationship with Prince Ernst and the stress from it.

Prince Albert's and his father's tempestuous relationship concerning Albert's ability to rule. His studer when young and how sports made him more confident as a person.
Prince Albert was going to make public is daughter Jasmine Grace and then denied her because of his father.

Princess Stephanie's life in America and alleged drug problem.

But the best was the conclusion. Where the author compares Princess Grace to a rose that is at her memorial garden. I think it is beautiful written.

I thought it was a well research book and probably banned in Monaco when it was published in 1998.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I thought it was a well research book and probably banned in Monaco when it was published in 1998.
I'm not sure if it was banned in Monaco - I seem to remember seeing it in the English bookshop, Scruples, ( mind you that has closed now) but I have just looked at my copy & noticed there were exclusive interviews granted to Glatt by some pretty prominent figures such as Albert himself. It seems unlikely these would have been allowed to be used in this book without the whole publication being scrutinised. But yes, looking at the list you give, there's some strong claims here...although quite a few have surfaced from time to time in the media.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 PM

The Charlotte Casiraghi Fan Club

A set of fictionalized fan interviews are used to illustrate obsession with Charlotte Casiraghi, the very sensationalized daughter of Princess Caroline of Monaco. These interviews are followed by an essay which highlights how the media feeds into, and even creates, such obsessions. The book is filled with information and analysis of the truth and fiction that color Miss Casiraghi's image.

Due out August 2010

Will be available in print as well as e-book on Kindle through Amazon

In print: $6.10
On Kindle: $2.99
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Courtier

This reminds me of a conundrum & oxymoron all rolled into one. Seriously, it does...
Old 07-24-2010, 02:40 AM

^I don't know why that is, but the fan club book is available already in digital format on Amazon kindle. More traditional format will come soon. Anyway, Kindle books are much more economical so..... I have the B&N Nook instead of it, but I presume it's pretty much the same. I don't think you can get this book on the Nook.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
The Charlotte Casiraghi Fan Club
These interviews are followed by an essay which highlights how the media feeds into, and even creates, such obsessions. The book is filled with information and analysis of the truth and fiction that color Miss Casiraghi's image.

I know us Casiraghi fans can not get enough of them, but does anyone else think the fictional image is upsetting. I could see Ms Casiraghi suing just like her mother did with the German tabloid.

Did this author need a well know name to sell is theme on media frenzy obsessions?

I don't think Charlotte will be happy with this. Is it going to come out on her birthday in Aug?