The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Administrator

"On Duty With The Queen" - Dicke Arbiter (2014)

"On Duty With The Queen
My Time as a Buckingham Palace Press Secretary"

by Dickie Arbiter

Hardcover
Publisher: Blink Publishing
Publication date: 1 October 2014

Blink Books blurb
Dickie Arbiter was the Press Officer for Buckingham Palace for 12 years. Previously Court Correspondent for IRN, Dickie was a poacher turned gamekeeper before moving to work at the Palace in 1988. At the forefront of royal engagements Dickie was privileged to work alongside Princess Diana, Prince Charles, The Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen as well as some of the minor royals. His career spanned some of the most turbulent times for the monarchy, the divorce of the future King and the death of Princess Diana, to name just two.

His memoir will convey what life was like behind the scenes at Buckingham Palace and his personal and witty anecdotes bring detail to events and warmth to the royals that has never been seen before.

MailOnline
The book promises to share what life was like 'behind the scenes' during the time that Mr Arbiter worked at the Palace in 'the most turbulent period in the history of the modern British monarchy'. It was previously reported that Mr Arbiter, a respected royal pundit around the world, had turned down countless previous offers to write his memoirs.

Mr Arbiter worked at the palace between 1988 and 2000. He witnessed the breakdown of Prince Charles' marriage to Diana and the affair with Camilla Parker-Bowles. He was also working for the palace the day Diana was killed in a car crash in Paris.

A palace source told the paper: 'It is just a case of a man who he [the Prince of Wales] thought was a friend and who could be trusted cashing in on the misery of that time. It is disloyal.' Mr Arbiter has previously said the book 'is not a kiss-and-tell but an autobiography'. He said: ‘It’s a candid look behind some of the most salacious and sensational royal stories of those days from the perspective of someone who was not only there, but who also had experience of the monarchy.’

A Palace spokesman told the MailOnline: 'We wouldn’t comment on the contractual obligations of employees, past or present, of the Royal Household.'

Express
Prince Charles is said to be "furious" that a trusted aide has written a book which gives details about the breakdown of his marriage to Princess Diana.

The Queen's former press secretary Dickie Arbiter is promoting his memoirs, which are believed to contain explosive insights into the inner workings of the royal family. His book, On Duty with the Queen, is said to claim that Diana felt "humiliated" by Charles' affair with Camilla Parker-Bowles. It is also reported to describe the reaction of Prince Charles and the Queen to Diana's sudden death in a car accident in 1997.

Arbiter, who worked for the palace between 1988 and 2000, is the first former press secretary to write a book about his time with the royals.
He signed a confidentially agreement as part of his role - but has denied that the book breaks any obligations of secrecy. He is reportedly set to make £250,000 from the memoirs, despite previously criticising former royal butler Paul Burrell for cashing in on his royal connections.

v cover
Reproduced for promotional purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arbiter.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	292214  

Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Lets wait and see. This thread should be locked until the book is publsihed

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I'd prefer to leave it open. Uninformed speculation and rhetorical questions are easily enough removed. Mr Arbiter is currently playing his cards very close to his chest but there's sure to be a series of deliberate leaks in the lead-up to publication, and possibly some newspaper serialisation. A reassuring sign is that the publication date is not 31 August.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm actually looking forward to this book. We spend so much of our time hear speculating on what's going on with whatever royal family. He was actually there.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Aristocracy

This is such a betrayal of trust. None of us need to know what goes on behind closed doors of well-known people. Not just the royal family but any celebrity. He was trusted to be discrete and he is betraying that trust. That's pretty awful, in my book. However, I have a feeling this book will sell very well because that is the nature of our world these days. Pity.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Buckingham Palace has ordered a crack down on any future memoirs by Royal staff after a former press chief published his bombshell account of life with the monarchy.

Dickie Arbiter, who was a trusted aide to Prince Charles and Princess Diana for 12 years, has revealed intimate secrets of his time at the palace in an autobiography entitled “On Duty With The Queen: My Time As A Buckingham Palace Press Officer.”

Yesterday he faced a bitter public backlash after selling the rights to a national newspaper which detail the breakdown of three Royal marriages and affairs.

Billed as the “former press chief reveals all - and it’s even more toxic than you thought”, the first of several extracts “laid bare Diana’s despair”.

Leading figures in the Royal family have now warned staff and lawyers to tighten up any future employment contracts to prevent future embarrassment.

The Queen and Prince Charles are said to be “furious” at what they see as Arbiter’s betrayal of Royal secrets and officials have held a series of tense meetings to discuss the book.
Buckingham Palace orders crackdown on memoirs by Royal staff after former press chief's explosive book - Mirror Online
Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Courtier

Having read the daily mail's extract from teh book I can see nothingso far that is any worse than the books Diana and Charles themselves authorised to be released. At least in this book there is probably less likely to be a bias on one side or the other. IMO Charles is hypoctrical to say staff can not write about his marriage etc when he worked with Johnothon Dimbleby on a book about it himself.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Majesty

I just hope those mistakes of the past won't be repeated. We all know no family is perfect, including members of the royal family, but that old mess can't be repeated.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

"On Duty With The Queen" - Dicke Arbiter (2014)

I would have thought after all the books written by Diana's staff -Burrell, the chef, the bodyguard, private secretary after her death, there would have been such a clause in royal employment contracts. Royal tellalls have been going on since Marion Crawford.

Imagine how much money someone like Jamie Lowther- Pinkerton could get. Not that I think he ever would.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 AM
Courtier

It is the stuff of newspapers to beat up a headline only for a reader to find it was all a lot of fluff and hardly any substance. I think we need to wait until expressing outrage.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Nobility

The problem with all this 'kiss and tell books' is, that people very much concerned with the matter (i.g. Will & Harry) are still very much alive and they have to live through all this mess again and again.

Which - on top of all the 'normal' level of press scrutiny ads even more pressure.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Royal Highness

It is sad that loyalty seems to be a forgotten word in the British royal household. A true gentleman would prefer to bite his tongue off than reveal all about the people whom once put so much trust in him.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Unfortunately we live in an instant world. Instant gratification demands instant access to salacious gossip and the media at large are happy to pay their inside sources very large sums of money. For the same reason publishing houses are ready to offer large amounts of money, up front in the form of avances, to enable anyone who may have worked closely with anyone of note, from the Queen to Victoria Beckam, to write their "memoires". The BRF have always relied on "loyalty" and regardless of how many times their trust has been broken, they still seem to be very "old school" in their responses.

Unfortunately I believe that the BRF senior advisors have been unbelieveably remiss in not realising the necessity for every single person employed by them to have an iron clad, non-disclosure clause, in their employment contract. And so we have Dickie Arbiter, who is definitely no gentleman, publishing a trashy inside scoop. But really, what has his book got to offer that has not already be well and truely recycled?

It is naïve to believe that things are going to get any better and so they need to be on the offensive instead of playing inept defence. I do believe that when and if there is actionable behaviour, the BRF should sue. Irrespective of anything else, sue and keep doing it. Because that is the only way that they can be taken seriously. The days of "not dignifying them with a response" are well and truely over.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

The photos of Diana with the children in this article are absolutely precious.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is sad that loyalty seems to be a forgotten word in the British royal household. A true gentleman would prefer to bite his tongue off than reveal all about the people whom once put so much trust in him.

Its a pity when people like Dicky feel the need to cash in on their royal service!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Majesty

What really happened behind Palace doors in royalty's darkest hour: A prince too frightened to view Diana's condolence book. The Queen gripped with anxiety. An insider reveals torment over the princess's death-
What really happened behind Palace doors in royalty's darkest hour: A prince too frightened to view Diana's condolence book. The Queen gripped with anxiety. An insider reveals the torment over the princess's death | Daily Mail Online

That was one sad time. I was a young teenager at the time but I reme,ber crying over the wall to wall coverage on CNN, MSNBC and NBC. It was something I'll never forget.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 AM
Courtier

Why had none of them signed the books of condolence?

I thought Edward wasn't interested in viewing(signing) the book of condolence.

Why would Arbiter or anyone expect a member of the royal family to sign the book of condolence? Those related to the deceased do not sign the book of condolence.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 AM
Heir Apparent

You are right of course, but it made good copy for his book. Having already smacked an insensitve Army Officer on the nose with a metaphorical rolled up newspaper, he heads out to tackle the resident royals. The ignorant, insensitive and spineless Prince Edward, versus the heroic, compassionate stalwart, Dickie Arbiter.

Cue Barber's Adagio for Strings

Further, there he was guiding HM outside the gates to meet with her people and re-establish her place with them as she surveys the oceans of cellephane and dying flowers and gently, tenderly, telling her she had done what she needed to and it was all right to go back inside.

This man is a peice of work and I hope (useless I know) that anyone with half a brain interprets this book for what it is . . . A Royal Soap Opera whose heroic central character, Dickie Arbiter, a man oinfinate wisdom and mercy, is not a royal but rather a commoner who brings humanity back to the Royal Family.