My Days with Princess Grace of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Breffney...it will go into my basket as well!;)

Princess Grace...how I miss that gorgeous lady.:sad:

Thanks Breffney...it will go into my basket as well!;)

Princess Grace...how I miss that gorgeous lady.:sad:

My pleasure, Moonmaiden23. ! :flowers: Oh, me too. I thought of her immediately upon hearing that Gabriella and Jacques were born. How I wish that she had seen them, seen all of her grandchildren.

I had posted about this in the Princely Family of Monaco book thread - shouldn't this thread be combined?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Interesting. So has anyone read it yet?
Breffney perhaps? Any reviews?

Interesting. So has anyone read it yet?
Breffney perhaps? Any reviews?

Good timing. ! :flowers: I am more than three quarters way through the book. It is very, very interesting. Joan Dale gives a fascinating insight into the lives of the Grimaldi clan.

Within about a year of meeting Grace & Rainier, the Dales were frequent guests / visitors at the palace. As time went on this included both formal and informal gatherings.

They and their children really were treated like part of the family. They accompanied the family on their annual skiing holidays (a month's duration), frequently sat at their table at official functions (which angered quite a few people), often watched movies at the palace with the family, attended pool parties, had many, many late nights just chatting, playing cards and drinking champagne, were frequent guests at Rocagel and so on.

Joan Dale obviously kept great diaries as many events and menus are described in wonderful detail.

The book includes many letters which the couples wrote to each other during the course of their lives.

There are also some great family snapshots.

Grace comes across as loving, caring, kind, considerate and a tireless worker.

PS: Joan devotes a good bit of the book to "The Crisis" that was depicted in the film, "Grace of Monaco". I can see now why the Grimaldi family was so against the film. There was never a suggestion that Grace used her charm or wiles to save Monaco from a French take-over. The only reference to Grace's part in this whole affair was that she was a help and comfort to Rainier, she helped him to stay calm, urged caution as Rainier could be very hot-headed, was a shoulder for him to lean on and so forth.

Last edited:
Good to see that Your Days with Princess Grace have been fascinating so far, Breffney! :flowers: Keep reading...
The book is on my March list. I had no idea that these two families were that close. I wonder if the other biographers mention them - Robert Lacey certainly doesn't say a word about the Dales. ;)

Good to see that Your Days with Princess Grace have been fascinating so far, Breffney! :flowers: Keep reading...
The book is on my March list. I had no idea that these two families were that close. I wonder if the other biographers mention them - Robert Lacey certainly doesn't say a word about the Dales. ;)

You are so right, NoorMeansLight, about Robert Lacey's book. I always considered it my "go to book" for anything about Grace.

It is so strange that he didn't mention the Dales. It's not as if they were just "private family friends". They had a high profile in Monaco, what with Martin Dale being Rainier's economic advisor and privy counsellor for a few years.
Going by the book it would appear that almost every place Rainier and Grace were, Joan and Martin weren't far behind (when they lived in Monaco)

If I hadn't seen the different snap shots, especially those taken at Rocagel (where only the closest of friends were invited) then I would have wondered if Joan had exaggerated the relationship.

It appears that they were very close up to the end. Joan was with Grace & Rainier on their last holiday (a Scandinavian cruise) which took place only a few weeks before Grace was killed.

I found this a very interesting account of Grace and Rainier by someone who had many opportunities to observe them closely. The book comes into its own for the reminisces of shared family occasions - it would appear the Dales spent a great deal of "down time" with the Princely family, attending family parties, cinema showings and several holidays together. Joan tells us that she was informally invited to be Grace's lady in waiting, but because of her husband's position as an advisor to Rainier, thought it would be harmful to take the position. The Dales appear to have been present at all important engagements in Monaco's social calendar as well as assisting with entertaining visiting dignitaries - I now find myself looking at pictures to spot Joan Dale who apparently bore some resemblance to Grace in both her physique and colouring. The account provides a warm picture of the Grimaldi's as a close family and although there is frequent reference to the political tensions with France during the De Gaulle Presidency, the emphasis is on the close friendship the two families shared. I found the observations about Rainier particularly interesting - probably because there are very few accounts of Rainier the family man. The book is well illustrated with pictures from Joan Dales' private collection - always good to come across new photos. The detailed account of what would turn out to be their final holiday together, just months before Grace's untimely death, is moving to read. I can thoroughly recommend investing in this title if you want a fresh perspective which doesn't resort to accounts of Grace's love life.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

so going to be reading this :)

Back
Top Bottom