Miscellaneous and Trans-National Books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the Coronation Cookbook by Margurite Patton and once seved a sorbet from the Coronation of Edward VII at a dinner party which went down a treat

Pictorial books/books lavishly illustrated about Royalty

Hello!! What pictorial books/books lavishly illustrated about Royalty do you know?

I know:

-"Los Borbones: Imágenes para la historia de una familia" by Luis María Ansón

-"Queen's Jewels" by Vincent Meylan

-"La Reina Sofía. Imágenes para 70 años de vida" by Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano

-"The Greek Dynasty" by Prince Michael of Greece

-"The Royal Family of Thailand" by Reginald Davis

Regards!!

"Imperatrices: du trone au exil, Zita de Hasbourg et Farah Pahlavi"

Hello!! Have you read this book? What is your opinion about it?

PD: I have created a new topic because this book is about two Imperial Houses and I don't know where can I put it :( Excuse me if I have done a mistake creating a new topic.

Regards and thanks!!

Thailand Royal Family

What books about the Royal Family of Thailand do you know? I know only "The Royal Family of Thailand" by Reginald Davis.

Regards!

Do you know any book about royal coach/carriages? And about royal yachts?

Regards!

Royal Holidays

Has anyone got this book by Assouline ? What is the content like ?

I do.:flowers:

I bought it at, of all places, the Carolina Herrera boutique at South Coast Plaza a while ago. Royal Holidays is basically a fluff photo book with interesting commentary. Overall, I highly recommend it if you happen to see it at your local book shop.

Has anyone got this book by Assouline ? What is the content like ?
Yes I have bought this book & can recommend it because it has a slightly unusual focus. The Royals featured are Soraya, Empress of Iran, Astrid Queen of the Belguims,Isabelle Comtesse de Paris, Marie Queen of Romania,Christian IX King of Denmark, Elisabeth Empress of Austria, Wilhelm II Kaiser of Germany, Victoria Queen of Great Britain,Nicholas II Tsar of Russia & Grace Princess of Monaco. As usual with Assouline books there's plenty of lovely photos but there's a reasonable amount of text documenting the favourite holiday destinations of these Royals.

Review of princess book...

"The tale of Elena is a superb what-if that circles around the fractured fairy tale of royal life. Each chapter begins with a few lines of dialogue from mysterious persons that point fingers this way and that way in regards to who is out to get Elena. It is a clever little trap that Ms. Froetschel has laid to entice the reader to keep going to see what happens even when the reader’s body is begging for a few hours of rest. The printed words on the pages of this book have all the lure of a siren’s song, and I for one fell in love with them. Reading Royal Escape was like spending time with a dear old friend; I laughed, I cried, and I wanted to rough up quite a few fictitious jerks. If I have not made it clear; this story is wonderful."

Review: ROYAL ESCAPE by Susan Froetschel | The GenReview

Crowning Glory

Has anyone bought this book about American women marrying Princes ?

"Royal Polar Expedition"- Scandinavian Heirs trips to Svalbard & Greenland

The Royal House of Norway informs the edition of a new book, "Royal Polar Expedition", a book on the Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Crown Prince Haakon or Norway and Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden trips to Svalbard in 2008 and to Greenland in 2009.

Money from the book will go to charity.

Google Traductor

Very well thought-out idea. Especially books to be used for income benefit charities. This book is one I want to receive.This type of future events and activities for members of the Royal example will be.

New monarchist book

Hello fellow Royal Forum friends, I wanted to announce the publication of my new book which is called "From hell with Love."

This book is about how Republicanism has plagued Europe and destroyed the Royal houses which God instituted to govern over us in kingdoms. I won't say too much as I will ruin the book, if any one is interested in the book please contact me, the book is very cheap and I wish I could give it for free but publishing charges are not that cheap for authors, I am proud to be a member of Royal Forums and I hope that this book would show people how Republicanism is nothing more that the rule of Freemasonry.

I, Livia: The Counterfeit Criminal: The Story of a Much Maligned Woman by Mary Mudd

"Livia Augustus, as she was known for the majority of her life, was a Roman empress and the third wife of Emperor Augustus.
Popularized in Robert Graves’ popular 1934 novel “I, Claudius”, the book portrayed Livia as a scheming, malicious murderer. According to Mudd, not only was Livia innocent of the crimes she was accused of; she was an independent-thinking feminist far ahead of her time." - Full review

Susan publishes tale of 20-year
For Susan Clarke, researching her family tree – in particular the Gulliver name – has been a labour of love spanning more than 20 years and most recently culminating in the publication of a book, describing her endeavours to trace her ancestors.
Using resources such as the internet, records offices and libraries, she travelled through England and Wales and to locations including Ireland to carry out her research, even tracing as far back as before 1066 when the family was known as Golafre and even had a French village named after it – now known as La Goulafriere.
One interesting family link she found was with a woman called Isabella De Fortibus, a rich heiress who once owned the Isle of Wight but sold this to Edward I in the 1200s.
[...]
It was her daughter Sarah’s resemblance to Princess Diana which prompted her to attempt to research a possible family connection to the Spencers of Althorp. She eventually discovered that many years ago a man called William Knightley had married Dorothy Golafre and the Knightleys of Fawsley could also be found in the Spencer family tree.

A Fine Romance: 75 Years of Royal Weddings
By Steve Cooper (not listed in text as author); 200pgs

Amazon.co.uk listing:
More than just a celebration of the marriage of Prince William and Catherine Middleton, A Fine Romance is a sumptuous photographic record of European royal weddings over the last 75 years. These are the unforgettable alliances and love stories that have defined our understanding of modern European royalty. Part one of A Fine Romance is an extraordinarily comprehensive record of historical royal weddings, fairytale brides and handsome princes, from a glamorous and serene Grace Kelly to a blushing and shy Lady Diana Spencer. Part two is a richly illustrated romantic delight, bringing together a stunning collection of images from the marriage of Prince William and Catherine Middleton.
Not available from Amazon.co.uk yet (Sept. 2nd), but I saw it while at work today, had a quick flip through and bought it. My flip though was very deceiving.

While it has a timeline of royal weddings from 1937-2011 at the very beginning of the book, giving the expectation that those weddings will be covered in the book, many of those are actually not even mentioned. Those listed in the timeline but not covered are: Juliana and Bernhard, Ragnhild and Erling, Albert and Paola, Astrid and Johan, Birgitta and Johann Georg, Désirée and Niclas, Margaretha and John, Margriet and Pieter, Margrethe and Henrik, Benedikte and Richard, Harald and Sonja, Christina and Tord, Christina and Jorge, Caroline and Stefano, Astrid and Lorenz, Anne and Timothy, Elena and Jaime, Stéphanie and Daniel, Joachim and Alexandra, Cristina and Iñaki, Caroline and Ernst August, Constantijn and Laurentien, Märtha Louise and Ari, Laurent and Claire, Stéphanie and Adans, Friso and Mabel, Felipe and Letizia, Joachim and Marie. So out of 49 weddings, only 21 were covered - not quite half.

The pictures are also nothing new, and only "Part Two - William and Catherine" is actually written specifically for this book - all the information in "Part One - 75 Years of Royal Weddings" is quotations from newspaper sources of the day or quotes from the couple. Quite disappointing. And the editing could have been better in some places - apparently, the Duke of Windsor was actually 'Duke Edward of the United Kingdom', Arch-Duke is hypenated (and Lorenz had his title listed in French, when all the others were in English) and accents on letters can randomly appear on one letter, then another, then not at all.

IMO, it seems like the author wanted to write a book about William and Catherine's wedding - but decided he needed something 'extra' to give it an 'edge' over all the other wedding books which are currently on the market. His attempt to give his book an 'edge' was a fail IMO though. Save your money - check it out from your library if you really want a peek.

The Reluctant Empress by Brigitte Hamann - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I recommend this for anyone who is interested in Empress Elisabeth of Austria, I read an awful lot of books about "Sisi" as she is also called when I was a little girl,she is a truly amazing person,probably the best-known royal of Austria!She is used for PR a lot,in Vienna you see a lot of her images and there are also sweets named after her ("Sisi-Taler")...many people like to compare her to Diana because she was so ahead of her time,very beautiful and independent.There is also a collection of her poems that were published in german,they are well-written and sometimes witty too...(Sissi | Historisch ->here you can read a little bit of her poetry) I bought this one: "Sisis Verse", with a spoken version of her poems and a little booklet where you can read the text. (I don´t want to advertise anything,but I enjoyed this collection of peoms,you can also read it in your local library!) Sisis Verse - Das poetische Tagebuch der Kaiserin Elisabeth (CD) – jpc

I also enjoyed Jordan-Queen Noors autobiography and recommend Jehan Saddat´s "A Woman of Egypt" where you get to know a lot of things you don´t read in Western newspapers....but be warned,it´s a real page-turner that will keep you up all night just because you want to know how the story ends ;) Even though she´s not royal or First Lady, Shirin Ebadi "Iran Awakening" is an interesting read too...I think all of the books were translated in many languages,at least they are available in English &German

Did anyone read "A Year with the Queen" by Robert Hardman? I am thinking about getting a copy of this book so I would like to know if it´s worth reading? Any opinions are welcome :flowers:

Thoughts on the author Van der Kiste?

I have a rather large collection of royal books cluttering up my bookshelves (I shouldn't really use the term 'cluttering' since it suggests I would rather they weren't there which is absolutely not the case, but you get my meaning), but I have the largest collection of books by John Van der Kiste. I particularly love Northern Crowns and Queen Victoria's Children. I was just after some thoughts of his works in comparison to others? Perhaps you could offer some suggestions as to other authors I might like.

Thanks!:)

"La mesa esta servida Majestad" Jaime Penafiel (2010)

"La mesa esta servida Majestad" Jaime Penafiel (2010)

No negotiation, wedding or friendly gathering is complete without a culmination in the table of a good meal. Jaime Penafiel traces the history of our monarchy, in which the meetings of our Royal Family with political leaders around the world have always crowned around a table. But how do you prepare a reception for 100 guests? Did you know that in Buckingham Palace bartenders equipment is regulated by traffic lights? Or that the dishes must be prepared at a distance perfectly measured between diner and diner? And, behind the official photos, some of the most important details of our history have elapsed between courses. The author uses the events and gala celebrations for inside information and first-hand available, aderezándola with its distinctive black humor.
The book is accompanied by color images with menus that refers palace halls, official receptions, etc..
Very interesting for people who likes the history and meals in the royalties.

P.S. If anyones is interested to have this book, please pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If You're a Princess, Where's Your Crown?" Sarah Ward 2014

If You're a Princess, Where's Your Crown? is an introductory guide to royalty. Intended to be a quick look into royalty for newbies, it's also a nice book for those of us familiar with royalty. If You're a Princess delves into not just European royalty, but the African and Asian royals as well. It includes chapters on deposed royalty, tiaras, orders, titles, succession, heirs, palaces, and staff. Although not a full look into royalty, it is a good place to start.

It can currently be downloaded for any ebook format from Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/411291 (it should be available directly from Kindle and Nook very soon)

It can also be bought in paperback: https://www.createspace.com/4558396 (will be available on amazon very soon)

If You're a Princess was written me, a longtime Royal forums member. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post on this site and to teach us all about royalty.

De Amerikaanse prinses (The American Princess) by Annejet van der Zijl

I have purchased "De Amerikaanse prinses" about

Allene,
Countess Pavel Pavlovitch de Kotzebue
née Tew
formerly Mrs Theodore R. Hostetter,
formerly Mrs Morton Colton Nichols,
formerly Mrs Anson Wood Burchard,
formerly Princess Heinrich XXXIII Reuss zu Köstritz
(1872-1955).

de-amerikaanse-prinses.jpg

Allene was -by marriage- related to the Orange-Nassaus and to the Lippes: her fourth husband Prince Heinrich XXIII Reuss zu Köstritz was a grandson to Princess Sophie of the Netherlands. His two brothers-in-law were married to a Princess of Lippe (the House of Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands).

The line of succession in 1909, until the birth of Princess Juliana:

1 - Prince Heinrich XXXII Reuß zu Köstritz (1878-1935)
Married in 1920 with Princess Marie-Adelaïda zur Lippe-Biesterfeld (1895-1993)
No surviving issue.http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...y-annejet-van-der-zijl-40278.html#post1863490

2 - Prince Heinrich XXXIII Reuß zu Köstritz (1879–1942)
Married in 1913 with Princess Viktoria Margarete of Prussia (1890–1923)
Married in 1929 with Allene Tew (1872-1955)
One surviving issue: Princess Sophie Renate Reuß zu Köstritz (1884–1968), who would marry her cousin Prince Heinrich XXXIV Reuß zu Köstritz (1887–1956). Their son Prince Heinrich I Reuß zu Köstritz (1910-1982) would marry Woizlawa Feodora Duchess von Mecklenburg-Schwerin, born 1918, still alive and whoi was a witness at the wedding of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and Prince Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld.

3 - Prince Heinrich XXXV Reuß zu Köstritz (1887-1936)
Married in 1911 with Princess Marie von Sachsen-Altenburg (1888–1947)
Married in 1921 with Princess Marie Adelheid zur Lippe (1895–1993)

On itself Allene had relation to Prince Bernhard, she knew him from her Reuß zu Köstritz period. As Countess Pavel Pavlovitch de Kotzebue (her fifth spouse) she resided in a grand house in Paris and as she had motherly feelings for Prince Bernhard, she made him her protégé. For Prince Bernhard "Aunt Allene" was more than welcome. Thanks to him he, a simple stagiaire at IG Farben in Paris, could afford the lifestyle of a grand seigneur....

I am looking forward to read it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom