"Meghan: A Hollywood Princess" by Andrew Morton (2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK time out and hold the phone! Morton is claiming that Meghan set a 17yr trap for Harry? Starting when she was 15!?!?!

A plot to rival the "birther" conspiracy theory!

I think Morton must have signed a book deal, then had to scramble to meet a deadline and just threw something together.

I agree with the majority that Meghan's career as an actress wasn't going to go much farther than suits especially at her age. Hollywood tends to live look over you after you hit a certain age... unless you're already established and proved your "worth".
I think after Suits Meghan would focus more on public speaking and charity work and causes.

I agree with the majority that Meghan's career as an actress wasn't going to go much farther than suits especially at her age. Hollywood tends to live look over you after you hit a certain age... unless you're already established and proved your "worth".
I think after Suits Meghan would focus more on public speaking and charity work and causes.

Not necessarily. I could totally see her being a reliable Lifetime Movie Network actress. She could also do endorsements--look at Lindsay Wagner hawking mattresses. She's pretty and looks good for her age. She could do infomercials, be a TV host, etc. Not every actress has to be a big Hollywood actress to be successful.

I have read similar views on Meghan's longevity as an actor in other places. :ermm: I think there is a misconstruction regarding acting as a career. In the US anyway. Success is not measured by whether you hit the (so-called) A-List, though it may for 'John Q Public'. That's all very nice if such happens but it is not necessarily a goal. Longevity as a character actor (sometimes morphing into Voice Over) is a valid career path (and usually far more interesting, in my view). Sometimes one gets involved in other aspects of the industry, like writing, or starting one's own production company, buying up scripts, etc., all of which starts to flesh out one's career path. (I see the same narrow lens used to judge Cressida Bonas' acting career: people tend to have a 'romanticized view of 'success', egged on by films such as 'La La Land').

Contrary to opinions expressed occasionally, the series 'Suits' surviving for 7 seasons (now going on to 8 seasons) is considered a very respectable run. It is a successful show. Meghan (as well as others in that show) would have had (as they will have) innumerable career opportunities to consider with such a solid series under her/their belt.

As in everything, it's all in what you make of one's choices and as far as I can tell Meghan was positioning herself for the long game (with her blog and fashion lines and charity work). Marrying Harry has been a drastic reversal of some carefully laid plans and considered initiatives. It's why I think Harry was a curve ball: Meghan was not looking to 'escape' into a marriage. This marriage does not 'save her' from a dull and dreary life prospect. It radically alters her plans and I am impressed that she has been willing to make the change. Suggests to me that there is something very 'real' happening between Harry and she.

Different perspective. :flowers:

You’ve hit the nail right on the head Lady Nimue, right on the head.

Even now, with marrying Harry, over the years Suits will continue to bring in an income for Meghan should it (and I predict it most likely will) go into syndication and that revenue is nothing to sneeze at. Depends on how long and how popular the show is in syndication.

For example, Through the magic of syndication revenue, Friends pulls in a whopping $1 billion each year for Warner Bros. Here's the kicker though: That translates into about a $20 million annual paycheck each for Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer, who each make 2% of that syndication income. $20 million. Each year. For doing nothing.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...-the-friends-cast-still-earns-today/77593556/

I don't think Meghan would ever really have to worry about being an out of work and poverty stricken actress. Ever. She's pretty secure by herself financially most likely.

Not necessarily. I could totally see her being a reliable Lifetime Movie Network actress. She could also do endorsements--look at Lindsay Wagner hawking mattresses. She's pretty and looks good for her age. She could do infomercials, be a TV host, etc. Not every actress has to be a big Hollywood actress to be successful.

Meghan was clearly creating something for her post Suits life. I think she could have likely got another show especially since she is close to the NBC who's who (and this was pre Harry). She is very close to Bonnie Hammer and in this business it is who you know. So to say her acting career would have ended is premature. We have seen that not be the case for many of actors of all levels. They find a way.

That said, I do think acting was never her #1 passion which is why giving it up wasn't that hard. I bet walking away from the Tig and all her other endeavors was much, much harder. But she loves Harry and wants to have this life. She going in with her eyes wide open and will be able to do the other work she loves to do.... just differently.

Suits hit 100 episode which means the network can syndicate it (and they will). It has a Japanese spin off. The show will continue to make her money though how does that work for her? I mean her personal wealth. How do they deal with that? Just goes into a trust and collect? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Meghan was clearly creating something for her post Suits life. I think she could have likely got another show especially since she is close to the NBC who's who (and this was pre Harry). She is very close to Bonnie Hammer and in this business it is who you know. So to say her acting career would have ended is premature. We have seen that not be the case for many of actors of all levels. They find a way.

Agreed. Whether it was another show or TV movies Meghan could find work post-Suits and frankly could've stayed on the show since Suits was renewed. Syndication, international distribution, and streaming rights royalties from Suits plus the Reitman's and Tig endorsements she gave up. Not exactly Duchess money but she would've been alright. Side note...I think Bonnie Hammer is getting a wedding invite.

OK time out and hold the phone! Morton is claiming that Meghan set a 17yr trap for Harry? Starting when she was 15!?!?!

I'd say Ninaki by way of Morton is more accurate. Evidently Meghan has been giving a master class in acting since she was a teenager. Seems to be a cross between The Talented Mr. Ripley and Catch Me if You Can. :whistling:

Back to the book before moderators step in. I thought this Toronto Star article had a pretty good take. Basically much ado about nothing. https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...le-in-book-make-society-look-bad-not-her.html

I think Bonnie Hammer is getting a wedding invite.

I have no doubt. Meghan wrote about her as one of the 10 women who changed her life.

https://www.glamour.com/story/meghan-markle-10-women-who-changed-my-life

Picture of them: Bonnie Hammer and Meghan Markle Photos Photos - UJA-Federation New York's Entertainment Division Signature Gala - Zimbio

They were close and Meghan spoke very highly of her. It is likely because of that relationship why NBC was so quick to accommodate all the chaos surrounding her relationship. It was mutually beneficial. It is also that relationship which I think Meghan would have has a post Suits career.

Morton along with USA Today is doing a live chat on Facebook about this book on April 18, one day after the release for sale. You can ask questions about the book during the chat. I would love to see questions about his "research" and why did he just do cut and paste from previous tabloid stories. Oh, the book is embargoed, meaning no reviews are allowed to be published. I've seen this with movies and studios block review because the end product is bad. I wonder if this is the same situation.

Another interview with Andrew Morton...

"When planning a visit to London “she didn’t ring Piers Morgan up because she thinks he is a witty bon viveur. She called him because he has 6m Twitter followers and can talk about her on Good Morning Britain.” This enterprising spirit would have appealed to Harry, he argues: “She isn’t some winsome, shy, self-effacing character. It is a ballsy thing to do, to sit in Soho House and wait for a blind date with the Queen’s grandson.”"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-script-following-the-royal-wedding-x863nsr79

Another interview with Andrew Morton...

"When planning a visit to London “she didn’t ring Piers Morgan up because she thinks he is a witty bon viveur. She called him because he has 6m Twitter followers and can talk about her on Good Morning Britain.” This enterprising spirit would have appealed to Harry, he argues: “She isn’t some winsome, shy, self-effacing character. It is a ballsy thing to do, to sit in Soho House and wait for a blind date with the Queen’s grandson.”"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-script-following-the-royal-wedding-x863nsr79
Does andrew Morton understand that no one is interested in his personal opinion why Meghan did certain things? Nor is that what a biography is supposed to be. And I don’t know how many people wouldn’t go to Soho House and meet with the Queen’s grandson if they were set up? I get not wanting to get serious because one might not want that life. But who wouldn’t meet him?:lol:

Isn't Andrew Morton doing exactly the same he claims Meghan did with Piers? Morton didn't write this book, because he thinks Meghan is a particularly interesting person. He wrote this book, because Meghan is a hot topic right now, is marrying Harry, and he can make money by writing this book. He's doing these interviews, not because he likes Meghan, but because now, right before the wedding, is the best time to publish a scandalous biography, and he wants his slice of that money and fame.
But Meghan networking is somehow shady, while for Abdrew Morton is perfectly normal.

Isn't Andrew Morton doing exactly the same he claims Meghan did with Piers? Morton didn't write this book, because he thinks Meghan is a particularly interesting person. He wrote this book, because Meghan is a hot topic right now, is marrying Harry, and he can make money by writing this book. He's doing these interviews, not because he likes Meghan, but because now, right before the wedding, is the best time to publish a scandalous biography, and he wants his slice of that money and fame.
But Meghan networking is somehow shady, while for Abdrew Morton is perfectly normal.

He's a writer. he writes books.. what else would he do?

Of course he would write it now it’s what he does for a living.

as far as I can see, Morton is networking to promote his books, which is his career. Meghan If I'm reading this right, was networking in order to get a date with Haryr?

as far as I can see, Morton is networking to promote his books, which is his career. Meghan If I'm reading this right, was networking in order to get a date with Haryr?

Even if it's true, why is this a big deal?

The show will continue to make her money though how does that work for her? I mean her personal wealth. How do they deal with that? Just goes into a trust and collect? Anyone know?

I'm curious about this too. Is there a thread it will be appropriate to discuss in?

Lots of clutching at straws by people it actually beggars belief. I’ve seen no evidence the Prince ever had romantic interests in women of colour or engaged in personal relationships with them. However I do know his previous romantic relationships have been with white women and mainly blondes. So why on earth would Meghan have thought she’d have stood a chance with a Prince of the British Realm whose family aren’t renowned for mixing in that way?

Last edited:
Well, no, Meghan wasn't networking Piers to get a date with Harry. She'd had a Twitter friendship with Piers over gun control issues and various other things and she met him once face to face, for a drink while she was in London.

Why Meghan would 'network' with a notorious ex editor of a London tabloid in order to use him as a conduit to Harry is beyond me, especially when we know what the Princes thought of London tabloid journos and their papers?

In fact Morton mentions she had a fashion sponsor to promote in that week, Ralph Lauren, who was both connected with Suits executives and with Wimbledon. So, IMO, Meghan was hoping to get a bit of publicity for herself, the show and label by speaking to Morgan, as well as refreshing a Twitter friendship of some months.

That's a very different kettle of fish to using Piers in some way to get in with Harry. Nor in fact does Morton suggest anything of the kind. (I've just received his book on my Kindle.)

Meghan had previously been asked on a US TV show Q and A segment 'Who do you prefer, William or Harry?' It was obvious she knew very very little about either of them before she answered 'Oh, Harry!' yet now there's a scenario that she carefully set a trap for him using Piers. Lol!

Last edited:
Ceasar's ghost Batman! Morton sincerely missed the boat in his comparing Meghan to Diana. Anyone that has paid attention to both women would see that Meghan is the AntiDiana.

Meghan is a confident woman who is comfortable in her own skin and after getting to know Meghan a bit since the news broke of the relationship, I don't see anything other than an accomplished woman in her own right.

I wouldn't wish a Diana 2.0 on any man. Ever.

Morton's book hasn't made the top 15 on the NY Times Best Sellers list:

https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/

There's competition with political scandal books in the US, but not going directly to your subject (Meghan) and relying on previously reported malicious gossip and statements from people with agendas can be a factor.

Having watched a few of Morton's interviews re: This book, he's all over the place. He has no stance or opinion, he talks completely different based on who is interviewing him. He clearly is out of depth with this book, he has no knowledge, he just put a quick book out before the wedding in order to benefit from the pre-wedding interest. He's also bigging up Meghan's ex-husband quite a lot, and I don't get why.

Perhaps he's hoping he will be the one that Trevor finally gives that interview to? You know, the one the British tabloids would love, where Trevor goes to town on Meghan's callousness, ambition, deceit etc etc.

I agree about Morton's book. I bought it on Kindle. A bundle of malicious guesswork and hurried paste and copy for the most part.

Morton's book still hasn't cracked the top 15 of the NY Times Best Sellers list. I think Morton was sitting on his laurels with the success of Diana's book and was hoping lightning would strike twice. The half sibs and Nikkai Priddy have been discredited in the court of public opinion and Morton needs a " reliable" source from his book to help sales.

Having watched a few of Morton's interviews re: This book, he's all over the place. He has no stance or opinion, he talks completely different based on who is interviewing him. He clearly is out of depth with this book, he has no knowledge, he just put a quick book out before the wedding in order to benefit from the pre-wedding interest. He's also bigging up Meghan's ex-husband quite a lot, and I don't get why.

I agree - his book reads like a quickie that was rushed to publication to cash in on Prince Harry's wedding. It is rather dull IMHO.

Perhaps he's hoping he will be the one that Trevor finally gives that interview to? You know, the one the British tabloids would love, where Trevor goes to town on Meghan's callousness, ambition, deceit etc etc.

I agree about Morton's book. I bought it on Kindle. A bundle of malicious guesswork and hurried paste and copy for the most part.

May I ask why you bought it? Was it just curiosity? I guess some people got swept up in the wedding circus and as it involved a big name from Diana biographical past, it was too much to resist. It is funny (sad, funny sad) how people are easily tempted to buy books like this and yet the real gems go totally unnoticed and lay forgotten!

Back
Top Bottom