How many Royal books do you own?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMTLove23

Nobility
City
bethlehem
Country
United States
whether its a fictional or a biography. how many royalty books do you own.

I own 16.

5 about Diana.

6 about fictional royalty.

5 about other royal families.

and Im about to get the Princess Masako book. prisoner of the throne, i think theats the title.

Too many to count...:D

Most of mine are nonfiction, but I grew up reading the Jean Plaidy historical novels set in the Tudor era and the Georgette Heyer Regency Romances.

I have every book I can get hold of about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
I also have about 5 about King Charles II. About 8 Queen Victoria, 4 about Princess Diana and many many more.
I am a member of www.librarything and I can recommend it to everyone who wants to keep their books in order, it does the statistics for you, keeps a tally of your favourite subjects and you can view your whole library on line. You can have up to 100 free and then for a small fee you can have as many as you want. I have listed about 300 of mine up to now but some members have about 5,000 books in their library.
I love it.

Elspeth, one of my favourite books is "Bath Tangle" those regency fiction books are really entertaining and good reading. Like "Pride and Prejudice" some of them you can read over and over again.

Far too many to count. I am both a Royalty and a history buff...I especially love reading about the Royal histories of England, France and Russia.

I have only recently discovered and become enchanted with the current Belgian Royal Family. I own one biography of Queen Fabiola and about five of the late King Baudouin, all of them ordered from France and Belgium and written in French.

When I was a child my late father would chastise me for not "expanding my horizons" and reading about different things, but hey. You like what you like!

These books take up about two thirds of my library.

Last edited:
Too many to count...:D

Most of mine are nonfiction, but I grew up reading the Jean Plaidy historical novels set in the Tudor era and the Georgette Heyer Regency Romances.

I own at least 25 Georgette Heyer novels. Of the books I own, Devil's Cub has to be one of my favs!

Like Elspeth, I have too many to count... both popular and scholarly.

I think I have around 200 of them, haven't read them all though.

Haven't counted my Royal Books but there are a lot. I have read most of them but a lot of them are also Photo-Albums with not so much to read.

A lot about the British Royal Family from Q Victoria on, one written by Prince Nicholas of Greece, father of Marina of Kent, One written by GD Marie's second husband about her life as a Greek princess (daughter of Q Olga) and a GD of Russia after marrying her first husband who was killed during the Bolshevik revolution, and a lot about Nicholas and Alexandra, Biography by Queen Noor and biography by the Shahbanou Farah...

Too many, too many ...
Lots of books about Diana -- some big coffee table books about royal jewelry and Versailles. I haunt the mark-down tables in the book stores hoping to find some royalty books ---
I am now reading a biography of Catherine de Medici --- very interesting ---

I don't have that many because I have got a lot from the library and my fiance actually has a lot! I think that I have read more of his royal books than he has!

Like you, Elspeth, I read Jean Plaidy and Georgette Heyer during my teenage years. Jean Plaidy's novels for children actually introduced me to English history, I think. Some of my favourites include Imperial Dancer, a book about Edward VII's mistresses by Aronson and Desiree, a novel about Napoleon's first love. I have also bought a lot of Royal Romance mags lately.

I've just read a biography of Edward VIII which I reviewed on my blog. I'd love comments!

Attaining Grace
bookaddiction

whether its a fictional or a biography. how many royalty books do you own.

I own 16.

5 about Diana.

6 about fictional royalty.

5 about other royal families.

and Im about to get the Princess Masako book. prisoner of the throne, i think theats the title.

17 now! I just bought the book about Mary, crown princess of denmark.

I see you're well on the way to the "too many to count" status that some of the rest of us have reached! Hope you enjoy the book, and don't forget to post your impressions of it in the thread about it.

I'm slowly building my collection ;) It's large enough for my guests to comment: So, you're interested in the royals? ;)

I'm also largely relying on the library to find a lot of the literature.

My biggest problem is that I'm in student dorms, and will have to move out when I graduate next year - and so building a too big collection now, will only be a pain when I have to move...

Living in the USA, I don't find much of interest about royals in the libraries so I'm pretty much reduced to buying books I want to read (at least, that's my excuse). You can sometimes get some good bargains on eBay or second-hand at Amazon. The other advantage to having the books on hand is that they're around if you need to look something up. But you're right - it's a pain when you have to move. Last time we moved (it was a cross-country move), the guy from the moving company came to assess our stuff to see how long it would take to pack and what sort of boxes they'd need, and he went a bit green around the gills when he saw all the books!

I own quite a few...both biography and fiction.

-the whole series by Simone Bertière on the French Queens, from Anne of Brittany to Marie-Antoinette.

-Victoria, by Evelyn Anthony. Queen Victoria's story from her coronation to her husband's death.

-Regards from the Dead Princess, about Ottoman Princess Selma, written by her daughter.

-L'Allée du roi (The King's Alley), by Françoise Chandernagor, about Madame de Maintenon.

Hmm...I'll have to think on this one.

The Royal Diaries
Mary, Queen of Scots
Anastasia, the Last Grand Duchess
Marie Antoinette
Catherine the Great
Victoria, May Blossom of Brittania

Pakula, Hannah. The Empress Frederick: An Uncommon Woman
Erikson, Carolly. Alexandra: The Last Tsarina
Hibbert, Christopher. Queen Victoria: A Personal History
Kurth, Peter. TSAR: The Lost World of Nicholas & Alexandra
Brewster, Hugh. Anastasia's Album
Alexander, Robert. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter
Fraiser, Antonia. Marie Antoinette: The Journey
Packard, Jerrold M. Victoria's Daughters
King, Greg and Wilson, Penny. Fate of the Romanovs
Vickers, Hugo. Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
Van der Kiste, John. Dearest Vicky, Darling Fritz
Romanova, Aleksandra. The Last Diary of Tsartisa Aleksandra
The Quest For Anastasia
Finding Grace in Monaco
Zeepvat, Charlotte. Queen Victoria's Family: A Century in Photographs.
Bergamini, John. The Tragic Dynasty
Lines of Succession
Alexander, Robert. The Kitchen Boy
Reader's Digest, Elizabeth: Fifty Glorious Years
Whitney, Catherine. The Women of Windsor
Weir, Alison. The Wives of Henry VIII
Lacey, Robert. The Queen Mother's Century
And one political book about Juan Carlos I of Spain, another Queen Victoria biography, and I'm planning on buying The Romanov Bride soon.

Last edited:
I've got 8 so far... (including 3 e-copies, downloaded for free)

Two on Marie-Antoinette
Two on the Grimaldis (Prince Rainier and Princess Grace)
Two on Empress Maria Theresia
One on Maria Carolina, Queen of Naples and Sicily
One on Emperor Franz Josef of Austria

I've just started my collection. Does anyone know of a good book on the Bourbon-Parma family circa 18th century? I'm particularly interested on Maria Amalia, Duchess of Parma (1746-1804). I think there's a book on her in Italian but it's so hard to locate, let alone get a copy of..... I would also like a book or a related book on her daughter, Caroline of Parma, who married into the Royal Family of Saxony.

I never thought to count! I know my royalty books are in two different places - half on my book shelves (limited space) and half in boxes in storage. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe half(?) of my books are about the Romanovs. When I first began to get into the subject of royalty, I was interested in the last Russian Royal Family, what happened to them, their fortune, where there any survivors, etc. From there I branched out into Queen Victoria and her descendants, and of course the Jewelry! I've also inherited some of my mother's books on royalty when she was downsizing her collection.

A quick count totals 19 royalty books in my apartment.

two New Books to Include...

Non-Fiction.
the Awful end of Prince William the Silent, by Lisa Jardine
the Habsburgs, by Andrew Wheatcroft (A thorough history of the Austrian Imperial Family)

I finished reading the Wheatcroft book earlier this year (sorry early 2008!) and he gives an interesting account focusing on the family's enduring sense of specialness and "dynasty".
The Habsburgs were quite a dynasty, just hanging on by a thread at times. It was only with Maria Theresia that the family became sprawling and complex to chart dynastically. The author has a very good eye for the detail of the panoply of kingship/emperorship with which the Habsburgs cloaked themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing and were early and avid users of imagery to perpetuate the family myths. "Brand Habsburg" would have been the marketing mantra; they saw themselves as a family apart with special purpose, and reinforced the fact by emphasising the Imperial ancestors as opposed to the focus on the King as an individual as for example Louis XIV.

Even Maria Theresia played a role in image marketing; her fecundity gave rise to Austria Felix - "Happy Austria" and a sense of well-being in family life that Queen Victoria later emulated to give us the middle class bourgeois Victorian era. Portraits of the Empress and her large family reinforced the idea of the stability of Habsburg rule and were used as subtle propaganda. In regards to women, interestingly enough the Habsburg possessions, or 'hereditary states of Austria' did not have Salic Law so M-T succeeded her father Emperor Karl VI as Queen of Hungary and Bohemia (she was actually crowned "King of Hungary") and took her title of Empress from her husband, the former Duke of Lorraine who was elected Holy Roman Emperor. Female members of the Habsburg family were more than marriage objects, they often ruled or administered various parts of the far-flung family possessions. Testament to the family's success as a dynasty is the fact they managed to rule their territories for over 600 years.

On Christmas I recived The last days of Henry VIII by Hutchinson.

I've bought a few books on 'Sisi' lately - one by Bridget Hamman and the other by Bertita Harding. I haven't counted my royal books yet! I hope to count them this week.

I own biographies about Diana (Tina Brown), Elizabeth I and empress Alexandra (Carolly Erickson) , Grace Kelly (Joanna Spencer) and a book about english royal weddings (royal collections). I'm desperately looking for one about Queen Elizabeth but I can't find it in Italy

I have about 400 books about diana (collector) and some about Sarah ferguson and the rest are royal bios, as i like to read bios.

Amazon is heaven for bios. I use german, english and american amazon. Also in the UK you can find many books about royals, especially bios.

:rolleyes::clap:

None! :sad:
But if could read just one, I'd like "Lonely but no alone" by Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands.

i have just a few for the moment , but im looking for more and more
i have know :
- 1 about Diana
-1 about queen beatrix .
-2 about princess maxima .
-2 about queen sofia of spain .

Back
Top Bottom