The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Royal Highness

A quick count totals 19 royalty books in my apartment.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Nobility

two New Books to Include...

Non-Fiction.
the Awful end of Prince William the Silent, by Lisa Jardine
the Habsburgs, by Andrew Wheatcroft (A thorough history of the Austrian Imperial Family)

Old 01-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator

I finished reading the Wheatcroft book earlier this year (sorry early 2008!) and he gives an interesting account focusing on the family's enduring sense of specialness and "dynasty".
The Habsburgs were quite a dynasty, just hanging on by a thread at times. It was only with Maria Theresia that the family became sprawling and complex to chart dynastically. The author has a very good eye for the detail of the panoply of kingship/emperorship with which the Habsburgs cloaked themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing and were early and avid users of imagery to perpetuate the family myths. "Brand Habsburg" would have been the marketing mantra; they saw themselves as a family apart with special purpose, and reinforced the fact by emphasising the Imperial ancestors as opposed to the focus on the King as an individual as for example Louis XIV.

Even Maria Theresia played a role in image marketing; her fecundity gave rise to Austria Felix - "Happy Austria" and a sense of well-being in family life that Queen Victoria later emulated to give us the middle class bourgeois Victorian era. Portraits of the Empress and her large family reinforced the idea of the stability of Habsburg rule and were used as subtle propaganda. In regards to women, interestingly enough the Habsburg possessions, or 'hereditary states of Austria' did not have Salic Law so M-T succeeded her father Emperor Karl VI as Queen of Hungary and Bohemia (she was actually crowned "King of Hungary") and took her title of Empress from her husband, the former Duke of Lorraine who was elected Holy Roman Emperor. Female members of the Habsburg family were more than marriage objects, they often ruled or administered various parts of the far-flung family possessions. Testament to the family's success as a dynasty is the fact they managed to rule their territories for over 600 years.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

On Christmas I recived The last days of Henry VIII by Hutchinson.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Aristocracy

I've bought a few books on 'Sisi' lately - one by Bridget Hamman and the other by Bertita Harding. I haven't counted my royal books yet! I hope to count them this week.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Gentry

I own biographies about Diana (Tina Brown), Elizabeth I and empress Alexandra (Carolly Erickson) , Grace Kelly (Joanna Spencer) and a book about english royal weddings (royal collections). I'm desperately looking for one about Queen Elizabeth but I can't find it in Italy
Old 01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

You can always order books via online bookstores such as Amazon if you are looking for bios about Queen Elizabeth II. Take a look at this topic which has a list of stores that may aid in your search for books about royalty and a specific royal in general.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

I have about 400 books about diana (collector) and some about Sarah ferguson and the rest are royal bios, as i like to read bios.

Amazon is heaven for bios. I use german, english and american amazon. Also in the UK you can find many books about royals, especially bios.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Nobility

None!
But if could read just one, I'd like "Lonely but no alone" by Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Nobility

i have just a few for the moment , but im looking for more and more
i have know :
- 1 about Diana
-1 about queen beatrix .
-2 about princess maxima .
-2 about queen sofia of spain .
Old 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Princess View Post
None!
But if could read just one, I'd like "Lonely but no alone" by Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands.
How nice, to read that someone in Brazil red the book of our late queen Wilhelmina, or didnt you read it?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Gentry

I OWN 22!!
6: Dynasties of European Royal families
2: habsburg dynasty
3: the Royal house of Windsor (Elizabeth, Margareth, Parents)
11: History of european Monarchies and war

try beat that! :)
Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-fan72 View Post
How nice, to read that someone in Brazil red the book of our late queen Wilhelmina, or didnt you read it?
I have not read yet. Unfortunately, I have no condition of buying one by internet, it's expensive for me because of the freight. And here (Brazil), I bet that no one has this book. But one day I hope I'll have.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Gentry

thank you for your suggestion Glittering Tiaras!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest008 View Post
I OWN 22!!
try beat that! :)
Priest008, there are many members of the Forums who could very easily "beat that". However, it's not a competition.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Royal Highness

I have collected quite a few biographies of Princess Grace & the Monaco Royal family over the years. I can only read in English so I've had to pass on a few (those without a sizeable amount of photos!) I just made a rough count, & including a few "coffee table " photography type books, I have about 40 - probably about half of these are full biographies
Old 01-10-2009, 05:17 PM

40 something and it is becoming a growing additction!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Gentry

Several hundred........my favorites are the Diana 'picture' books from the early '80s.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Way too many to count & they are spread out across two states . I have most of them with me here in Colorado, but I think I left a few back at my parent's home. Most of the books I own are about royalty or are about history.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm afraid to tell you that I just built a new room all built in shelving for the Royalty/Jewels/Gardens books. Royalty in the middle with Jewels on one side and Gardens on the other. It has a nice tranition with Royal Gardens and Royal Jewels. I acquire books at an alarming rate, though on ebay (I buy many Mixed Lots) and Amazon, not at retail in this economy.