Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Historical Fiction and Novels with Royal Characters

post copied to another thread.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Freddy & Fredericka by Mark Helprin

Has anyone read this book -- it's a satire of sorts on the fictitious Freddy and Fredericka, Prince and Princess of Wales.

Might I say a parachute drop into New Jersey is a key moment in this book...

Very interesting. Comments, reviews?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
I have the book, picked it up in an airport, but I haven't had a chance to read it really. I think I got through the first chapter.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I've read about this book and I would like to read it so I'll be interested in any reviews from various members.
I just finished a book, Gone with the Windsors, by Laura Graham. It's a fictional account of a woman who was a friend of Wallis Simpson and she recounts the courtship and the crisis of the marriage of Wallis and the Prince of Wales. It refers the history at the time plus features many European Royals and it's fairly accurate. I enjoyed it.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Nobility

Gone with the wind - question about royalty

I am reading Gone with the Wind for the first time. I have seen the movie so many times I could not count. My question is the author says that England will not help the south. She says that Victoria is Dutch???? I know that Victoria was German, but am I missing something? I guess that the author just made a big mistake, but it seems that someone would have corrected it!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Gentry

Gwtw

Don't know about the Dutch part...if you can give me the page # of the book I can look it up and see if I can figure it out (I am a huge GWTW fan.)

The South continually hoped that England would join the Civil War and aid the Confederate side, largely due to England's dependence on the South for cotton. Although Victoria and her government declined to become officially involved, they did covertly sell supplies to the South to continue the war and aid the Confederate cause. These supplies were brought in by blockade runners (like Rhett Butler) who would then make a handsome profit after adding their fee to the supplies they brought in. The North knew this and towards the end of the war (and one of the reasons the Civil War finally ended) was that the Northern Navy was able to cut off the blockade runners, thereby starving the South of new supplies, ordnance and material.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Nobility

It is on page 239 at the bottom of the page . It says " England never bets on the underdog. That's why she's England. Besides, the fat Dutch woman who is sitting on the throne is a God fearing soul and she doesn't approve of slavery. " When I read this I thought something was wrong.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Gentry

OK - I will check it out!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Gentry

Smile Victoria as Dutch

OK - this is the best I could find:

Württemberg Royal Family

In all ways they are inter-connected. Victoria wasn't technically German as she was born in the UK but Albert certainly was. There youngest son was named "Leopold" (Belgian King who I think was also Albert's uncle) so - maybe that it it. You raise a good point. I don't think that MM made a mistake calling her a "Dutch woman" as it was in her heritage, at least partly. That's my conclusion!

If you have never read the book you are in for a treat - in many, many ways different from the movie. I would not recommend either of the sequels authorized by the Mitchell estate - "Scarlett" or "Rhett Butler's People." Both poorly done.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Thanks for all of your help! I just could not understand why she would call her "Dutch". I would have never thought anything about it if she had said "German". I understand what you mean about how different the book is from the movie.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

GWTW is one of my very favorite books--I re-read it twice a year and wrote my thesis on it's contribution to the feminist movement. It is an amazing piece of craftmanship, in my humble opinion.
Like Judith14011 I would not suggest reading any of those sequels--they did not follow the same vein created by Mitchell at all. If you did read them you would feel as I felt--that that was time spent that you can NEVER EVER get back. Wasted time.
As for the movie--it was good, nice costumes, etc...but I've never been a huge fan of movies based on books--something always gets lost because of the time frame, but the movie is good--the book is just much better.

BTW, Margaret Mitchell wrote another book, much much shorter, called "Lost Laysen" about a romance set in the South Pacific. You may want to read it as well.

Enjoy!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Aristocracy

I've read GWTW many times and never noticed that! That is very interesting.
I absolutely adore it - and I'm an Aussie with no links to America!

Janet, I'd love to learn more about your thesis. Maybe you could write a short article along similar themes and put it on your website?

Regards,
attaininggrace
bookaddiction
Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Aristocracy

The german word for german is "deutsch" the pronunciation is quite similar to "dutch" and I have often noticed that people seem to have problems keeping the two apart.
As far as I remember I found GWTW quite well researched for such a romance novel, so I sincerely doubt that Ms. Mitchell indeed thought that Victoria had ancestors from the Netherlands instead of Germany.
My guess would be that she intended to use the german word by means of stressing it and it was misunderstood or wrongly printed.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Gentry

Leopold I of Belgium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a bit of background on perhaps why Rhett Butler refers to Queen Victoria as "Dutch."

Also, Queen Victoria was very revered in the Southern states, Bonnie Blue Butler's real name is "Eugenie Victoria" after the Empress and The Queen.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith14011 View Post
There youngest son was named "Leopold" (Belgian King who I think was also Albert's uncle).
Belgian king Leopold was the brother of Queen Victoria's mother (hence, Victoria's uncle) and also the widower of Princess Charlotte, daughter of George IV.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Nobility

Fiction Novels with royals

"H.R.H."
by Danielle Steel

I was in the library one day last week, and saw this Book H.R.H. by Danielle Steel. Now usually dont read danielle steel novels, but being a royalty fan i pick it up. I read it and it was good. Its a tale of a fictional liechtenstein royal family. it has some real life similarities. for people that have read could anyone tell me could the ending (which I will not reveal, due to people who have not yet read it) really happen??
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Serene Highness

I also read it and being a royalty freak, I enjoyed it tremendously. That is why I started a thread a while ago wanting to know if any of the Crown Princes or Princess ever talked about wanting to do something else. I would love to know everyone opinion on whether it could really happen. Glad you enjoyed the book. Are you from PA?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

I also read the 'H.R.H.'. Generally I'm not a fan of Danielle Steel's novels (aside from 'Jewels' which I saw as a miniseries Jewels (1992) (TV) ). I think I was crying for the majority of the book. The ending is pretty predictable but I think the story in general could really happen (just maybe not to that level of conflict). Just as everyday people dream about what it would be like to be royalty, I'm sure royalty dreams about what it would be like to be an everyday person (like P. Martha-Louis of Norway said she did in a Hello Magazine interview not to long ago).
Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 AM
Serene Highness

I enjoyed the book immensley. While there were a few historical inaccuracies and using Liechtenstien was probably not a good choice as, from what I've read, they are one of the more liberal families it was basically very good. I think some of our Princess's would like to have a more "normal" life. One who springs to mind is the Princess Royal. I think that she would have made a full time career out of something like Save the Children or Riding for the Disabled had she not been tied by her birthright to her "princessy duties".
Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, Danielle Steel got the title wrong if it was about the Liechtenstein family, as they are not Royal but Serene highnesses

Tags
britannia, diana's death and funeral, queen elizabeth ii, royal train