The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

I write fanfiction for NASCAR , Criminal Minds and CSI Miami.The nice thing about it is anyone can write for it (you don't have to be a published author or even a good writer to do so). As Catherine J stated, there are some good writers. Most are probably average and would never get a book or novel published. The fact that someone others than family or friends read it is great, even if it's not that great.

When I first saw the NASCAR fan fiction I was surprised that you were allowed to use the actual names of the drivers in the story because they are real people. I assume that they got legal advice when the website was put up. To my knowledge, none of the drivers have ever sued the website for the content that has been written on this website.

When I've written in this forum I've been respectful of the drivers that I've written about them. Nothing explicit or graphic about them. Sometimes I added events that had happened to them or things about the driver that was known and things that were true (hearing it coming out of their mouth for example) if this had something to do with the story or I put it into the story. In the preview I would mention this as well as saying that to my knowledge other things in the story didn't occur.

The fan fiction Criminal Minds and CSI Miami are written about the characters on the show, not the actors themselves. You also have fan fiction for TV shows, novels and other such things.

When I first started writing for fan fiction, I looked to see if they had any fanfiction royalty. They didn't. I would have been surprised if they did.

I wish you the best of luck William Kuhn and look forward to reading your're book.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kuhn View Post
I think to write fiction you must like to live intensely in the imagined life of your character, and that person may either be a living person or someone who is completely invented. MRS QUEEN has both.
My personal opinion is that an author that can spin a tale about a personage that is quite well known to the general public, has his work cut out for him much more than creating a fictional character. This book of yours sounds like a total winner to me. Its a whimsical "what if... " situation and HM's escape into the world of the unknown and being unknown.

Be sure to mail a copy when it is published to Buck House (or Windsor Castle for that matter). For some reason I think the person that would get the most joy out of this story would be HM herself. It makes me wonder just how often it has crossed her mind that she'd really like to chuck it all to the wind and just take off on a spree.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Commoner

Mrs Queen Takes the Train

Queen Elizabeth II boards a public train incognita in this new novel published by HarperCollins on October 16, 2012. Australian publication in November by Allen & Unwin.

You can find out more about it here:

Home - William Kuhn including an excerpt.

Some of the pictures in the books are here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6622691&type=3

With apologies for posting incorrectly in some other threads,

Bill

Do let me know what you think. Thanks. bk
Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Mrs. Queen Takes The Train

I really have to thank my lucky stars that we're retired and for the most part, my time is my own to do as I please with it.

After glancing at the clock on my computer last night and noticing it was just going on 10 PM, I figured "what the heck.... I'll read a little bit more.". Next thing I knew, I was closing Mrs. Queen Takes The Train and the world around me had changed into another morning. This book is definitely one that will grab your interests and keep you enthralled throughout the story. I just couldn't put it down until I finished it.

This story centers around HM Queen Elizabeth II taking the public transportation train from London's King's Cross to see Brittania moored in Leith, Scotland. Simple enough of a plot one would think but this book has more depth to it than your ordinary fiction. The more I read, the more I realized that discussions on the various aspects of this adventure would fit nicely into any one of the threads here on the British Royal Family and how the monarchy works. Its London 2012 and as in real life, this book reflects the pulse of the people be they a reflective Queen, a veteran of Iraq working in the Royal Household, a poet working his gap year in a cheese store or a woman more comfortable with horses than she is with humans.

I would definitely state that this book is a must read. I'm also enclosing a link to an article I'd posted on the board a while back ago and it was this image that I pictured HM as on her grand adventure. HM in a hoodie? You betcha!!

Thanks Bill so much for one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time!

Queen Elizabeth II Wears A Hoodie While Driving A Range Rover (PHOTO)
Old 09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Commoner

thank you

[Blushing] Thank you for posting about Mrs Queen as well as for giving it a sympathetic summary and endorsement Osipi. Bill K
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Gentry

These are a fun read....

http://rhysbowen.com/books/royal-spyness-series/
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II in fiction

Hi all
I just finished reading Jeffrey Archer's 'First Among Equals', and was delighted to see Queen was covered pretty well.The State Opening Of Parliament was mentioned in detail. I have two aspects for discussion..

1.But by the end the Queen discretely seeks 'some advice' from PM and Leaders of Her Parties and Speaker.Then in the final chapter, Prince Charles is shown as King Charles III.SO was she abdicating? was the consultation about that?

2.I was pretty unamused Archer viewed that prospect of Queen abdicating, given his depth in British politics. I dont think anyone doubts how serious the Queen is about going on till the end..So why did he imagine such a thing..and it hardly affects the plot..

And also in another Jeffrey Archer novel, I guess A Prisoner of Birth, in the end the protagonists's lawyer is able to save him by observing that the registration stamps were fake, on basis that the Queen's face appeared younger on the stamps, whereas by that date, stamps bearing older (aged) version of Queen's face were already issued.
I like such references of Queen in fiction.
Anyone else have come across such things in any novels? Would you like to share them?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Nobility

I love the idea of this thread and wish I had something to contribute. Thanks for starting it.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Aristocracy

I recently enjoyed Venus in Winter: A Novel of Bess of Hardwick by Gillian Bagwell Historical Fiction Roundup 6: Venus in Winter: A Novel of Bess of Hardwick by Gillian Bagwell | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Aristocracy

I have to admit... I am the author of 1 finished and 4 'works in progress' Harry Potter Fan Fictions... lol. The thing about my Fan Fics, is even for the HP world, four of them are quite 'out there' in terms of the main couples and very 'AU'. But I wouldn't trade any of them for the world. I haven't been able to update the WIP's in a while... because thanks to them, I've started hard work on several Original novels :)

One of which... is about a fictional Royal Prince

Fan Fiction is awesome in that you get to exercise your writing muscles, connect with others who share your interest in continuing and expanding stories that are over.

Though I've been hard at work (during NaNoWriMo as well) on my original fics, I still work or at least take notes and write snippets of chapters that will be updated when I can. I am a huge believer in not leaving people hanging... but sometimes you got to roll with the punches a bit and my original novels have had plot bunnies galore!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:44 PM

New book on British royal family tree?

New book on Prince William's modern family tree?

There is a new book out by Brewin Books, England, written by Shirley Thompson, entitled "Unlocking the Gates" which is presented as "fiction", but the central characters bear a remarkable resemblance to some of those who are leading figures in Prince William's modern day family. For example, could "Princess Maria" be the late Princess Diana? etc., etc., etc.

I recommend you read "Gates" and see what you think..... I am a royals watcher, and this is spot intriguing. I may be wrong, but this seems more than coincidental...... http://www.brewinbooks.comn
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Hi all

And also in another Jeffrey Archer novel, I guess A Prisoner of Birth, in the end the protagonists's lawyer is able to save him by observing that the registration stamps were fake, on basis that the Queen's face appeared younger on the stamps, whereas by that date, stamps bearing older (aged) version of Queen's face were already issued.
I like such references of Queen in fiction.
Anyone else have come across such things in any novels? Would you like to share them?
There's a book, "In the Wet", by Neville Shute, which you might enjoy. It was published in 1953, but some of the book is set in the future. I won't describe it at length, but the Queen and the DoE have prominent parts, and it will make you think.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Aristocracy

Recently read Eva Stachniak's Empress of the Night on Catherine the Great. Here's my review Empress of the Night: A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva Stachniak (Historical Fiction Review) | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 04-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Commoner

For middle grade books, the Royal Diaries series is a great read about the lives of young (real) Royal women. Alison Weir has written a bunch of both Non Fiction and Fiction books based on multiple royal families, and Juliet Grey has a series based on Marie Antoinette. In the terms of fantasy, there's the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin, the Fire & Thorns series by Rae Carson, and the Selection series by Kiera Cass.

Especially concerning fantasy, there's usually at least ONE royal character, so books with some influx of royalty aren't that hard to find!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Courtier

Princess Elizabeth's Spy

This is a very 'slight' book, nonetheless enjoyable, by Susan Elia MacNeal. Its conceit is that a brilliant American mathematician, Maggie Hope, formerly Churchill's secretary, is dispatched to Windsor Castle to serve as Princess Elizabeth's maths tutor. Of course, she is also supposed to snoop a bit, which she is quite good at, and has to protect the Princess from enemy kidnappers.

The descriptions of Windsor are interesting, and of course the depiction of the young Elizabeth is irresistible. I enjoyed it, but it was like eating cotton candy-sweet but insubstantial.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Aristocracy

Just finished Sharon Kay Penman's A King's Ransom - the best historical novel I've read so far this year.

A King’s Ransom by Sharon Kay Penman (Historical Fiction Review) | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Tags
britannia, diana's death and funeral, queen elizabeth ii, royal train