The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy

Here are my favourite examples of Tudor historical fiction

Holiday Weekend Historical Fiction Roundup: Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Aristocracy

And here are my favourite French royal historical novels:

Royal Historical Fiction Roundup 2: The French Court in the 18th and 19th centuries | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

My favourite historical novels are the ones in the series "Les Rois Maudits" (the Accursed Kings) by Maurice Druon.

The series include:
- Le Roi De Fer (the Iron King)
- La Reine Étranglée (the Strangled Queen)
- Les Poisons de la Couronne (the Crown Poisons)
- La Loi des Mâles (the Royal Succession)
- La Louve de France (the She-Wolf of France)
- Le Lis et le Lion (the Lily and the Lion)

My favourite book is La Louve de France (the She-Wolf of France), possibly because of my fascination with Isabella of France and admiration of Edward III. Les Poisons de la Couronne (the Crown Poisons) is magnificent too, as are the rest of the books in the series.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Aristocracy

My favorite of all time is Sharon Kay Penman's "The Sunne in Splendor" covering the lives of Edward IV and Richard III. You'll never believe Shakespeare's history again -not that any on this board ever would She is a meticulous researcher and makes the time period and the characters really come alive. She's currently working on another novel in her cycle on the early Plantagenets, now covering the last days of Richard the Lion-Hearted. If you "like" her Facebook page, she keeps her "friends" up to date on what she is writing and the research involved.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I've read all SKP's novels, including her latest on Richard I, called "Lionheart." The sequel to that is "A King's Ransom," focusing on his return from the Holy Land and capture, to be published at a later date. Unfortunately, that's going to be her last book on the Plantagenet saga. I hope she focuses her attention on another royal dynasty, because I really love her work.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

An excellent novel about the rise and fall of Anne Boleyn, from Thomas Cromwell's perspective

Historical Fiction Roundup 5: Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Royal Highness

I've just purchased Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel but haven't started it yet. Have you read that book? I'm anxious to start, and then Bring Up the Bodies is the next on my list.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Commoner

Do you think any of you might be interested in this?

Hi, my name is Bill Kuhn and I've written a novel called MRS QUEEN TAKES THE TRAIN.

It's about the current Queen of England, who is beginning to feel her age and a little melancholy sometimes. She is given a chance opportunity to leave the palace unrecognized one day when a girl from the Mews loans her a hoodie to keep the rain off. The Queen is surprised when, wearing the hoodie, the guards don't acknowledge her. She decides to slip off to visit one of her "happy places," the royal yacht Britannia moored in Scotland. She boards a public train incognita at Kings Cross. A ragtag group of courtiers discover her missing and decide to go after her before MI5 and the tabloids find out. Romance and mischief ensue.

My previous works are non-fiction, mainly on the Victorian monarchy, including one on two courtiers who worked for Queen Victoria, Henry and Mary Ponsonby.

If there were any interest, I might post an excerpt from it.

It's published in October in the USA by HarperCollins and in November by Allen & Unwin in Australia.

If you've got this far, thank you for reading!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Aristocracy

Hi Bill,

Welcome.

Sounds interesting but I think I might feel "wrong" reading a fictionalized account of HMtQ, She's ... you know ... the QUEEN. It would feel disrespectful to me, I think.

That said, good luck to you.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Commoner

Thanks Catherine J. I know what you mean. The book is pretty respectful though, as I've always been an admirer of HMQ and have tried to be fair in my previous books on Queen Victoria. But I understand the book might not be for everyone.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

I think it sounds pretty interesting. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading "Gin O'Clock" which is pretty hilarious.
Best of luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Commoner

Thank you Duchess Mary. I think the Gin O'Clock tweeter, who makes an appearance in my book, is pretty funny but MRS QUEEN does not.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kuhn View Post
Hi, my name is Bill Kuhn and I've written a novel called MRS QUEEN TAKES THE TRAIN.

It's about the current Queen of England, who is beginning to feel her age and a little melancholy sometimes. She is given a chance opportunity to leave the palace unrecognized one day when a girl from the Mews loans her a hoodie to keep the rain off. The Queen is surprised when, wearing the hoodie, the guards don't acknowledge her. She decides to slip off to visit one of her "happy places," the royal yacht Britannia moored in Scotland. She boards a public train incognita at Kings Cross. A ragtag group of courtiers discover her missing and decide to go after her before MI5 and the tabloids find out. Romance and mischief ensue.

My previous works are non-fiction, mainly on the Victorian monarchy, including one on two courtiers who worked for Queen Victoria, Henry and Mary Ponsonby.

If there were any interest, I might post an excerpt from it.

It's published in October in the USA by HarperCollins and in November by Allen & Unwin in Australia.

If you've got this far, thank you for reading!
I'd like to read an excerpt
Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Commoner

excerpt

Hi CSW in Columbus,

An excerpt is here:

Excerpt - William Kuhn

Let me know what you think. I hope you like it.

Bill
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Serene Highness

I liked it. Very interesting. I enjoyed reading the excerpt. Unless a royal actually came out and objected to someone writing about them in a fiction novel, I see nothing wrong with it as long as respectful of the person. Of course that's my opinion which may or may not be the same as others.

I've wroten short stories for fanfiction criminal minds and fanfiction nascar about royalty. None of these individuals are real people (the characters I made up, most of the countries are ficitious and the countries that I used in story lines currently don't have royalty). I've always put a disclaimer stating that these particular events to my knowledge didn't occur.

Interesting enough you don't see a lot of novels written about royalty but there are lot of historical books or family history books about them.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Commoner

Thank you nascarlucy! What is fan fiction? An online blogger has written a review of the book and and I thought she used fan fiction in a critical way. However, I am happy to have all responses to what I write, both pro and con.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kuhn View Post
Thank you nascarlucy! What is fan fiction? An online blogger has written a review of the book and and I thought she used fan fiction in a critical way. However, I am happy to have all responses to what I write, both pro and con.
Fan fiction is fiction written by the fans of a particular author or series. Generally it uses the characters and world of the original work. For instance, someone might write a story where Harry Potter has an adventure, using all of J.K. Rowling's original materials (characters, settings, rules, etc.) but with a new plot.

Some writers, notably Anne Rice, have disallowed fan fiction, feeling it cheapens the original work.

A few, very few, writers of fan fiction have gone on to publish books by a mainstream publisher - books with their own characters and settings, etc. To my knowledge no fan fiction itself has ever been properly published.

Some writers, Rowling as an example, claim to love fan fiction and read it regularly.

Fan fiction is, generally speaking, written by non professional writers and is, generally speaking, not very good. There are exceptions, of course and I have read some very compelling fan fiction as part of my professional life (I am a writer by trade).

Fan fiction has a HUGE internet presence with many readers and writers and all sorts of categories and its own interesting nomenclature. It has fans and detractors. You might not find anything approaching literature in it, but you can likely be entertained and humoured, if nothing else :)
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Commoner

Well, I did not set out to write fan fiction in MRS QUEEN though I am a huge fan of Alan Bennett's UNCOMMON READER. Did any of you like that?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Nobility

I enjoyed reading the excerpt. You have obviously done a lot of research to weave into the story.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Commoner

Thank you kathl29! Some of the pictures in MRS QUEEN TAKES THE TRAIN, including some rare-ish ones of QE2, are here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6622691&type=3

Tags
britannia, diana's death and funeral, queen elizabeth ii, royal train