The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Nobility

Book recommandations - royalty

"On Royalty" by Jeremy Paxman, is a satirical and funny book on royalty. Having just read a few chapters yet, I look farward to read more. And when I have done that, I'll come back and write some more...

It is sort of a "recipe" book on how to become royal, dos and don'ts and real life examples.

Some of the chapters;
1. First, find a throne.
2. Next, produce an heir.
3. Learning to be regal.
4. Now find a consort.

I wonder if this book is curriculum at the princess school If not perhaps it should...

Amazon.co.uk: On Royalty: Jeremy Paxman: Books

Old 09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Gentry

Royals in childrens books

Apart from the princess diaries are there any other children's books with royals in them ? X

Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Commoner

What is the story about. I have not read it.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Courtier

Everytime I'm in the bookstore, I always look for royalty or fictional royalty books. I haven't seen this book. Was this book set in the modern-day royalty?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
Everytime I'm in the bookstore, I always look for royalty or fictional royalty books. I haven't seen this book. Was this book set in the modern-day royalty?
I found it in the Library in 2007. It is set in Modern-day Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colynsmomma View Post
What is the story about. I have not read it.
In a novel where ancient traditions conflict with reality and the pressures of modern life, a young European princess proves that simplicity, courage, and dignity win the day and forever alter her world.

In blue jeans and a pullover, Princess Christianna is a young woman of her times: born in Europe, educated in America, worried about the future of the world she lives in, responsible beyond her years. Christianna is the only daughter of the Reigning Prince of a European nation that takes its royalty seriously - and her father has ironclad plans for Christianna's life, a burden that is almost unbearable.

Now, after four years at Berkeley, life in her father's palace cannot distract Christianna from what she sees outside the kingdom - the suffering of children, the ravages of terrorism and disease. Determined to make a difference in the world, she persuades His Royal Highness, her father, to let her volunteer for the Red Cross in East Africa. And for Christianna, a journey of discovery, change, and awakening begins.

Under a searing East African sun, Christianna plunges into the dusty, bustling life of an international relief camp, finding a passion and a calling among the brave doctors and volunteers. Finally free from the scrutiny of her royal life, Christianna struggles to keep her identity a secret from her new friends and coworkers - even from Parker Williams, the young doctor from Doctors Without Borders who works alongside Christianna and shares her dedication to healing. But as violence approaches and invades the camp, and the pressures of her royal life beckon her home, Christianna's struggle for freedom takes an extraordinary turn. By a simple twist of fate, in one shocking moment, Christianna's life is changed forever - in ways she never could have foreseen.

From the splendor of a prince's palace to the chaos of war-torn nations, Danielle Steel takes us into fascinating new worlds. Filled with unforgettable images and a remarkable cast of characters, H.R.H. is a novel of the conflict between old and new worlds, responsibility versus freedom, and duty versus love.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

"The Princess and the President" - Valery Giscard d'Estaing, 2009

Former French president Valery Giscard d'Estaing has written a novel about a passionate affair between two characters based on him and Princess Diana. The extraordinary book has caused a sensation in France, with many believing that the 83-year-old really was one of Diana’s lovers.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

The same news in the french press. The "Figaro" is usualy a very serious source ...

Le Figaro - Politique : Les amours romanesques de la princesse et du président

I really hope it's a bad joke.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

"I kissed her hand and she gave me a questioning look, her slate-grey eyes widening as she tilted her head gently forward."
"I stood up and pushed back my chair to allow the Princess of Cardiff to sit down. She thanked me with one of those oblique looks that revealed all her charm.

Extracts: Valery Giscard d'Estaing's The Princess and the President - Telegraph

To be published next month, Giscard's "The Princess and the President" recounts the secret and passionate love of a French leader and a Welsh Princess.
President Jacques-Henri Lambertye and Princess Patricia of Cardiff meet at the closing dinner of a G7 summit at a time when the young British royal has been left miserable by her husband's adultery.

Valery Giscard d'Estaing novel hints at affair with Princess Diana - Telegraph
-----------------------------
An old mans fantasies!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
*Chokes on her coffee* Now that's just hilarious . I think "fantasy" is the key word for this story…

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/3492...-l-enquete.php

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana had 'passionate affair' with the former president of France | Mail Online

a gentleman does not tell, what a
Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I can't imagine that if Diana and the French president had been having an affair that some servant wouldn't have spilled the beans. If it had happened during Burrell or Ken Wharfe's times, we already would have known.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy

I read about this novel coming out. "La princesse et le president; President Jacques-Henri Lambertye and Princess Patricia of Cardiff..."
First of all it's a novel, it's fiction, so the author can write whatever he/she wants.
I agree that VGE and Diana as an item is highly improbable.

It is amazing to me that everybody assumes the author meant Diana. Too easy, too obvious!
I think we need to look further: How about Giscard and Princess Margaret? Think about it: In the days Giscard was president- 1974-1981, P. Margaret was just separated-divorced and yes, very unhappy.
Now THAT has potential doesn't it!

Just speculating! and smiling!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Just another person trying to make money off of Diana.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by altagrace View Post
I read about this novel coming out. "La princesse et le president; President Jacques-Henri Lambertye and Princess Patricia of Cardiff..."
First of all it's a novel, it's fiction, so the author can write whatever he/she wants.
I agree that VGE and Diana as an item is highly improbable.

It is amazing to me that everybody assumes the author meant Diana. Too easy, too obvious!
I think we need to look further: How about Giscard and Princess Margaret? Think about it: In the days Giscard was president- 1974-1981, P. Margaret was just separated-divorced and yes, very unhappy.
Now THAT has potential doesn't it!

Just speculating! and smiling!!
That would make a great story indeed!

I totally agree on the speculative part - there's absolutely no genuine proof we can rely on to affirm that these two people are without a doubt VGE and Diana.

However, I think the author had a wonderful time concocting this little fiction, slipping in details and allusions.
President Jacques-Henri Lambertye: composed name, just like VGE and we didn't have many president with long names.

Princess Patricia of Cardiff: Now, this one is quite obvious I believe. "Patricia" is a name with "a" and "i", just like in Diana. The fact he chose the title of "Princess" rather than Duchess or Countess and even more evidently, he took the city of Cardiff, capital of Wales… (of all places!)
Finally, she's being nicknamed 'Pat' on various occasions in the book… Wonder if it has anything to do with people calling Diana, 'Princess Di', especially in France.

Now I'm really trying to think "coincidence" here!

I guess VGE was bored of only existing in the mind of people like a President who did quite a few wrong things during his term and who's now at the Constitutional Council, deciding on issues that the average French doesn't even care about… He just wants his little fame shot.

Because it matters...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Nobility

pray tell it's not true!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Giscard says he invented the facts.

Le Figaro - Politique : Giscard sur Lady Di : «J'ai inventé les faits»

With Google Translator (quite a bad translation but you can decipher the essential info):
Google Traduction

Because it matters...
Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Giscard says he invented the facts
Well not a big surprise! I'm not sure it's particulary tastefull from a former head of state to first fantasize like this about a woman dead 12 years ago and second to play with the memory of Diana,a very sensitive point as we all know. The whole story is just gross.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I wish my French were better, TheTruth. The Google link isn't working for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Giscard says he invented the facts.

Le Figaro - Politique : Giscard sur Lady Di : «J'ai inventé les faits»

With Google Translator (quite a bad translation but you can decipher the essential info):
Google Traduction
Old 09-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is a cover of the new Paris Match, Princess Diana on it: Paris Match, 3149, Lady Di et Valéry Giscard d'Estaing
Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I wish my French were better, TheTruth. The Google link isn't working for me.
No worries Here's to catch up: "I invented princess love story": France's Giscard - Yahoo! News

I believe it's obvious he invented it - Diana was cured of going out with older men after her rather erratic relationship with Charles.
In 1984, during the first problems in the royal couple, VGE was already 58 *gasps!*

It's however very possible that the two shared long conversations and got along well. I would tend to look more into a genuine fatherly concern than any lovestory.

Because it matters...

Tags
britannia, diana's death and funeral, queen elizabeth ii, royal train