The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, Danielle Steel got the title wrong if it was about the Liechtenstein family, as they are not Royal but Serene highnesses
In the book she is also the daughter of a Princess of Orleans, In the book that qualifies her to be also a HRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
I also read it and being a royalty freak, I enjoyed it tremendously. That is why I started a thread a while ago wanting to know if any of the Crown Princes or Princess ever talked about wanting to do something else. I would love to know everyone opinion on whether it could really happen. Glad you enjoyed the book. Are you from PA?
yes Im from Pennsylvania

Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

In an interview during the 80s, she said that she would have liked to have been a lorry/truck driver, because it would give a person time alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
I enjoyed the book immensley. While there were a few historical inaccuracies and using Liechtenstien was probably not a good choice as, from what I've read, they are one of the more liberal families it was basically very good. I think some of our Princess's would like to have a more "normal" life. One who springs to mind is the Princess Royal. I think that she would have made a full time career out of something like Save the Children or Riding for the Disabled had she not been tied by her birthright to her "princessy duties".

Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Lightbulb Fiction inspired by royalty (not fan fiction)

I know there is obviously Danielle Steel's HRH which I just saw has its own thread, and which I think is pretty good, But does anyone know of other works inspired by royal people?

I want to be careful to distinguish here between this kind of work and fan fiction. The kind of works I am hoping to find more of are fiction based on or loosely based on royalty but where the names and certain details are changed, to make it absolutely fictionalized, so that no actual reputations are infringed upon. "Fan fiction," generally, is a story about royalty where such details are named as they actually exist: i.e. fake stories about real people.

I'm looking for royalty-inspired fiction, not fake stories about real people.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, Danielle Steel got the title wrong if it was about the Liechtenstein family, as they are not Royal but Serene highnesses
Yeah, that was my initial thought too but then in the book, Steel qualifies the title with explanation of the girl's mother having been HRH. She does point out that Christiana is only HSH but that her mom was HRH, and I think the HRH title was used for the book because more people would understand it.
If it was titled HSH, non-royalty-buff people would be like, What the hell? But most people know what is HRH, so....

The fiction here was well-researched, actually. She got a lot of things right, even things I didn't expect her to get right.
I'm not a steel reader either, but had to read this one, haha.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Dumas is another good example.
His books are most entertaining, but he was basically taking a couple of facts, a couple of people and then would just create a story around them.

But from historical point of view, his books are nothing to trust. Which doesn't make them any less interesing, mind.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Courtier

My personal favorites of this type of fiction are Susan Howatch's books Penmarric, Cashelmara, and The Wheel of Fortune. In these she takes royal characters and events (Plantagenet era), sets them in the late 19th - early 20th centuries as ordinary family sagas. But the way she parallels history and the people is deeply fascinating. Penmarric (set in Cornwall) is a version of the Henry II - Eleanor of Aquitaine & family story. Cashlemara (set in Ireland) is based on Edward II. The Wheel of Fortune (set in Wales) mimics the story of Richard II, John of Gaunt, et al. They are really good reading on many levels.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot. Mia is definitely based on Jazmin and Genovia on Monaco. Mia even has Grimaldi as one of her last names.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

The Tudor series by Philippa Gregory? They aren't completely factual, but are a fun read.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot. Mia is definitely based on Jazmin and Genovia on Monaco. Mia even has Grimaldi as one of her last names.
I thought Mia's surname was Renaldi, or Rinaldi. That's a good example, btw.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I thought Mia's surname was Renaldi, or Rinaldi. That's a good example, btw.
In the books, her full name is Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo. In the movie, they changed/shorted her name to Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi. Maybe Disney didn't want to risk getting sued? The books are actually fairly accurate at depicting royal titles, inheritance, protocol, etc. The movie Disney-fied everything and made no sense at all, but probably made it more understandable to their intended audience.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Elizabeth Adler's "Property of a Lady" wove the missing Alexi and Anastasia with the Yussopovs. Fun read.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Nobility

"Desiree" by Selinko. It's still my favorite historical fiction based on real historical figures in the Napoleonic period.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

One of my favorites also! I love historical fiction!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
In the books, her full name is Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo. In the movie, they changed/shorted her name to Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi. Maybe Disney didn't want to risk getting sued? The books are actually fairly accurate at depicting royal titles, inheritance, protocol, etc. The movie Disney-fied everything and made no sense at all, but probably made it more understandable to their intended audience.
Yeah, I see what you mean. They had to mainstream it. How Pointless of them to worry about a lawsuit though. What did they think Prince Albert could do? Sue them for using his name, like the Grimaldi name is exclusive only to his family? It's not. Can anyone actually hold a trademark on a surname anyway?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
"Desiree" by Selinko. It's still my favorite historical fiction based on real historical figures in the Napoleonic period.
oh no! you preceded me!i was going to write it...
i recommend this book to everyone, it's a great lecture, wonderful!
Old 04-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Aristocracy

There are tons of historical novels by Jean Plaidy, Margaret Irwin and Anya Seton about kings and queens. Norah Lofts is another good author.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I've always wondered about the PD series. The book was first published in 2000, but Jazmin wasn't known to the majority of the public until 2006. Sure there were vague rumors circulating amongst royal watchers, but what are the chances of American author, Meg Cabot, knowing about the story of Jazmin, her Mom, and Albert?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Nobility

Danielle Steel's latest novel focuses on a modern-day princess. HRH centers around 22-year-old Christianna, Princess of Leichtenstein. She is the only daughter and second child of HRH Prince Hans and his late wife, a Bourbon princess. Christianna joins the Doctors Without Borders shortly after graduating from Berkley University in the States. Her brother, HSH Prince Frederick, whom she calls Freddie, is heir to Leichtenstein's grand ducal throne, due to salic law that bars all women from the succession. A car accident changes Christianna's life forever, and that of her American boyfriend, Parker.

The book ins't all that great---not enough detail. But the plot is a good one.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Moon Princess and Sun Princess?

As a child I read an old fairy tale about an Asian/Arab Prince who had seven wives who all had their own palaces and he visited each of them on a special day of the week. Each princess had her own colour in which her palace was decorated and in which she dressed, she had the suiting colouring and she came from a different culture. One from Japan, the other from Persia, one from Egypt, one from Turkey, one from China and one from India - can't remember where the seventh came from. Each received the prince in a different way according to her culure and they spent their time together due to her background. It was a wonderful book and I found it interesting that while each princess was special, all were ranked equally and respected and loved for their being different to the others.

I thought about that when I read what prince Frederick had said about meeting Mary in the interviews fro the new book about him:

"If you had to visualise it, it was like a summer landscape in moonlight. Still water in a pond - evocative - there is a surface, but also depth. Harmony and tranquility and lots of kindness and beauty. It's like describing a landscape bathed in moonlight. That's how I remember her from the first meeting".

So Mary is the moon princess: beautiful and serene. And Marie is the sun princess: vivid and sparkling.

What do you thinbk? Does that fit?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

I think it does - what a nice way to describe someone!

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb

Tags
britannia, diana's death and funeral, queen elizabeth ii, royal train