The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Aristocracy

I've read this.

You give an excellent review.

I particularly agree with your assessment that Mary, Queen of Scots was portrayed, not quite gladhandedly, but certainly with what sometimes felt like a nudge, nudge, wink, wink which I actually found jarring in an otherwise fairly professional treatment (well for Ronald who I suspect secretly writes high period fiction pieces for fun in her spare time).

All in all, a decent book.

Thanks for the review.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Aristocracy

Glad you enjoyed the review! There's lots of other book reviews on my site.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

"Margaret of York: The Diabolical Duchess" by Christine Weightman

Great new biography of Margaret of York looks at the real reasons why she opposed Henry VII and the Tudors

The Medieval Book Reviews 6: Margaret of York: The Diabolical Duchess by Christine Weightman | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

"Elizabeth the Queen: The Woman Behind the Throne"
by Sally Bedall Smith

Pages: 688
Published: 2 February 2012
Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
ISBN: 9780718158651
ISBN-10: 0718158652

Synopsis

An intimate portrait of Her Majesty the Queen

As we celebrate her Diamond Jubilee, this brand new biography of Queen Elizabeth II is the first all-round, up-close picture of one of the most fascinating, enigmatic and admired women in the world. With exclusive access to the Queen's personal letters, close friends and associates, this intimate biography is a treasure trove of fresh insights on her public persona and her private life.

Here we see Queen Elizabeth going about her daily duties, preparing for formal occasions, playing with her children at the Palace, crawling on her stomach to stalk deer, donning yellow Marigolds to wash up after Balmoral cookouts, and even changing a car wheel. Here we, at last, get to meet the leader, strategist, and diplomat; the daughter, wife, mother and grandmother - Elizabeth the Queen.

v cover
Cover image reproduced here as promotional material
For anyone in the NY/NJ/CT area, Sally Bedell Smith is speaking next week on QEII in Bedford, NY. I couldnt make the link work to the local paper, so here's the text. "Queen Elizabeth biographer to speak in Bedford. This year brought the celebration of the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's ascention to the throne, but does the public really know her? Biographer Sally Bedell Smith will visit St Matthew's Church in Bedford at 7:30 pm on Thursday Dec 6 to provide insights into one of the world's most interesting and enigmatic women......Her talk and Q and A session will begin with a reception at 7:30, followed by the program at 8:00. Refreshments will be served. St Matthew's is located at 382 Canitoe St (Rte 22). For more information call 914-234-9636".

This is my home town, so I will certainly be there! :-D
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Margaret of York is a highly interesting figure,I must look out for this biography over the weekend!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I think the reasons Margaret opposed the Tudors are pretty obvious: she viewed Henry VII as an usurper who killed her younger brother, Richard III.

Just bought the book and am really eager to read it. The Duchess of Burgundy was a very colourful figure - and one who caused Henry VII a lot of headache (and I am not one of Henry's biggest fans so that alone makes me like her beforehand). I just hope it's not the usual bad Yorks vs. saviour Tudors type of book!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

"Bringing Them Up Royal" by David Cohen (2012)

I have mixed feelings about this psychological study of royal parenting. There are interesting insights but also factual inaccuracies

Bringing Them Up Royal: How the Royals Raised Their Children From 1066 to the Present Day by David Cohen (Review) | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator

"Bringing Them Up Royal
How the Royals Raised Their Children from 1066 to the Present Day"

by David Cohen

Publisher: Biteback
ISBN: 9781849543699
ISBN-10: 1849543690

Published: October 2012
Hardback: 320 pages

Publisher's blurb
Everyone was amazed Princess Diana was a good mother. She was an exception as the British Royal Family has not been exactly renowned for their good parenting - at least since the time of Queen Victoria and Albert, who was always telling his son Bertie how disappointed he was in him; King George V was often telling his sons how disappointed he was in them - and the tension between Prince Charles and his father has been the subject of much speculation. A mix of popular history and soap opera with a Royal twist, Bringing Them up Royal reveals for the first time how British Kings and Queens brought up their children and is bound to arouse wide attention and controversy. Drawing on much fascinating new material and discovered documents and records - going back to the Tudors - David Cohen tells a compelling and at times shocking story providing many arresting psychoanalytical insights and twists.

Sunday Times (link)
Bringing up babies is a fraught business. But if this latest parenting “manual” is anything to go by, when it comes to rearing the royal family, life is spectacularly, gloriously dysfunctional. I mean, how do you raise a child whose father had their mother’s head lopped off (Elizabeth I)? Or deal with a mother who is so monumentally obsessed with her son’s lack of sexual prowess that she schemed to arrange for another man to lie with her daughter-in-law to get her pregnant (Caroline of Ansbach)? Or a father such as George III, who didn’t just beat up his sons, as did many previous monarchs, but tried to smash his heir’s head against the wall?

Amazon (link)
This book is not only about royal parenting - it is also simply about parenting. Good to read as a reflection on that - craft? art? - task, certainly. More of a task if your child is not only replacing you in the implicit way that every child replaces a parent, but also replacing you on the throne where you have sat, and ruled - inheriting not only your wealth but your crown, your robes, everything that means you in the world.

The surprise is that sometimes - by no means always but sometimes - the royals were quite good parents. Victoria and Albert certainly loved their many offspring, and given Victoria's own parenting, it's amazing that she managed to be quite human, if strict, with her own kids. They probably suffered most from their parents' devotion to each other - the opposite of children who suffer from divorced or estranged parents - those who are so ardent towards each other, they sometimes fail to notice the rest of the world. But they did notice, and develop ideas about how children should be raised. We are curious about each other, and it is endlessly fascinating to find out how other children fare in other families. We were all children once, at the mercy of our parents' and perhaps extended families' notions of how we should behave and be made to behave. Many of us are parents and even if we aren't, we probably have ideas about what kind of parents (ideal, unlike those around us) we would have made.

When 'family' is written large, as in the Mafia or Royalty, there is more information available. There is more at stake - death, life, fortunes, kingdoms. But really the power these people wield, the positions they hold, are only microscopes trained on the endlessly fascinating drama of family life. This book is a microscope - a powerful lens turned on the private, public, first, last, most important space we hold, however we rail against it or try to deny it - the family. It's a great, gossipy, information-crammed, conversational read. That's another advantage to looking at Mafia or royal families- it gives you an excuse for being nosy.

Amazon (link)
Most people will buy this book for what it reveals about the Windsors, but I was bowled over by the chapters on their ancestors. The section on the Stuarts was particularly informative and well researched. Bringing Them Up Royal takes you on an emotional roller-coaster of the majorly dysfunctional as well as the rather heart-warming and gives a new and very human dimension to what we thought we knew about our kings and queens.

A previous reviewer also picked up on the fact that David Cohen's book has something to tell us about parenting in general and I would echo that wholeheartedly. A very enjoyable book - do read.

v cover
reproduced for promotional purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cohen.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	287591  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I think the reasons Margaret opposed the Tudors are pretty obvious: she viewed Henry VII as an usurper who killed her younger brother, Richard III.
Absolutely agree with you Artemisia,let us know what yo make of this biography of Margaret of York,hope you enjoy!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Aristocracy

My review of Mary Boleyn: Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir

The Tudor Book Reviews 10: Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I just got a late Christmas present from a cousin in London - 'Queen Elizabeth II: A Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Album' .

Queen Elizabeth II: A Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Album Royal Collection Publications - Souvenir Album: Amazon.co.uk: Jane Roberts: Books
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth II: A Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Album

Queen Elizabeth II: A Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Album
Royal Collection Publications

Publisher: Royal Collection Trust
Published: 15 February 2012
Format: Hardback, 144 pages, over 300 colour illustrations
ISBN13: 9781905686407
ISBN 10: 1905686404

blurb
Few monarchs have achieved a sixty-year reign and the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II will be an historic event in every sense. This official souvenir charts every year of The Queens life, from babyhood to the present day, and will be both an invaluable companion to the history behind the Diamond Jubilee and a biography-in-pictures of the remarkable woman it celebrates. Over 300 colour illustrations, including personal documents and photographs, have been brought together to present a portrait of the life of Queen Elizabeth II and a magnificent souvenir of an almost unparalleled royal event.

blurb
The forthcoming international Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II will be a historic event in every sense. Marking the sixtieth anniversary of her accession to the throne, the Diamond Jubilee places Queen Elizabeth II in the company of very few other monarchs--among them Queen Victoria--to have achieved such a long reign. Published to commemorate the momentous event, this official souvenir album charts the Queen's life from childhood to the present and provides an invaluable companion to the history behind the Diamond Jubilee as well as a biography in photographs of the truly remarkable woman it celebrates. Making extensive use of materials drawn from the Royal Archives, the book features three hundred full-color illustrations--many never before seen--including personal documents and photographs portraying the formal and family life of Queen Elizabeth II both before and during her successful sixty-year reign. A magnificent souvenir of a rare event in royal history, this charming book also provides an intimate portrait of the life of Queen Elizabeth II.

British Weekly review
“The idea of producing a small illustrated souvenir on The Queen’s reign was a follow-on from the little illustrated books that we have been producing over the last six years,” says Queen Elizabeth II: A Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Album author Jane Roberts. “These have proved very popular both with our UK audience and with people around the world.”

This year marks the sixtieth anniversary of the ascension of Queen Elizabeth II to the British throne. Celebrations started the beginning of the year and will reach a crescendo this coming weekend. Queen Victoria is the only British queen to have reigned longer than Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth II: A Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Album commemorates the event with photos and documents haven’t been seen before. Many of the photos are from the Royal Archives. The book features 300 full color illustrations. The book is a wonderful souvenir album, a pictorial and written history for this event. It starts from when Elizabeth was a child to her life this year.

“A comparison of The Queen’s life in 2012, with that of the last monarch to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee, Queen Victoria in 1897, is inevitably revealing of many things,” says Roberts. “The Queen is still very active, both nationally and internationally. The support that The Duke of Edinburgh provides is key to so many aspects of her life.” Both queens have seen huge technological advances, with the Age of Steam in the Victorian Age and the Digital Age today.

Jane Roberts is the Royal Librarian at Windsor Castle and the author of several books, including Five Gold Rings, also published by Royal Collection Publications.

The majority of the research for Diamond Jubilee was picture research. “The computerized database of the Royal Collection is invaluable in finding relevant items, dating from both the present reign and from earlier centuries,” says Roberts. “I did no primary research for the book on documents. The book is not intended to say anything new, just to illustrate the key aspects of The Queen’s life, and reign. The illustrations are intentionally a mixture between items in the Royal Collection and Royal Archives, and photographs, especially press photography.” Roberts first chose key topics for each year, then found the best items to illustrate, then wrote the words to inform the reader on those topics.

v cover image (large)
reproduced for promotional purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond Jubilee Souvenir Album.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	287658  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Thanks Warren that's the one,it was a really nice surprise to get!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Administrator

The cover in large size

Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That is a stunning cover!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Majesty

I must say, Her Majesty makes is a stunning Queen, even for her age. I really like seeing her in the King George IV State Diadem.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am really amazed that after all the decades of wearing those very heavy earrings, HM's ears look quite perky. Mine would look like a basset hound's and be resting on my shoulders!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
That is a stunning cover!
It really is an amazing photo of Her Majesty!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

Bertie: A Life of Edward VII by Jane Ridley

An excellent new biography of King Edward VII

The Victorian Book Reviews 3: Bertie: A Life of Edward VII by Jane Ridley | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Aristocracy

"Blood Sisters: The Women Behind the Wars of the Roses" by Sarah Gristwood (2012)

"Blood Sisters: The Women Behind the Wars of the Roses" by Sarah Gristwood (2012)

A fascinating joint biography of the seven most prominent women of the Wars of the Roses

The Medieval Book Reviews 7: Blood Sisters: The Women Behind the Wars of the Roses by Sarah Gristwood | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Tags
biography, books, mary tudor, novels, queen, queen elizabeth i