German & Austrian Royalty and Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the replies.
I seem to remember that the Princess in question was placed under house arrest in the UK , following her separation from her German Prince husband, and her return to this country. This was during either the first or second world war.
It could therefore mean that I have got the name of the princess confused. It was along time ago since I saw and dipped into the book. :whistling:

I just finished the Red Prince: the Secret Lives of a Habsburg Archduke by Timothy Snyder. It is a very good account of the fascinating life of this great-great-grandson of Leopold II. Born in today Croatia, son of a Polish Habsburg father and an Italian Habsburg mother, raised to be a Polish prince he ends up candidate to an Ukrainian throne! Very well written and historically accurate. Another book from this famous author.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me some good advice? I'm looking for a book that would cover 18th and 19th century German nobility - particually just the ruling families. Something that gives me a bit of background on each one (pictures would be a bonus - though I know of course that photography wasn't much used before 1850 - but there were paintings)

I know that Burkes Peerage might be useful - but it's frightfully expensive. I have sourced some of the "Who's who's" from the 1870's which give some insight - but those really only cover the ruler of the territory and give very little on his family.

Any pointers appreciated - thanks :)

I am more interested in the Habsburg family than in the German royal families but I would recommend you to go to a library,they usually have a lot of good books and you can ask them for anything you are interested in.In my city there are also clubs/groups of students (Studentenverbindungen) who have very good material on history,most of them also have some older members who are very knowledgeable and who are happy if you ask them to tell you what they know about the past!
Some years ago a catalog-order company promoted books on royal genealogy (different royal families in Europe) with many pictures,a family tree and some information about the dinasty and certain exceptional members of each family.The books had a good value for money and I liked the family tree at the end of each book because it is of big help to keep the names apart (sometimes I get quite confused when several persons have the same surname or the family is really big!)

Hi! What are, for you, the best photo-ablums about German royalty (Saxony, Bayern, Prussia, Hanover...)?

Regards and thanks in advance!

:previous:
'Royalty Before the Wars'
'Royalty Between the Wars'
'Royalty After the Wars'
- all by William Mead Lalor, Rosvall Royal Books
These three books are sub-headed "A Picture Album" and have detailed and expansive captions for the many (many!) photographs.

'The Grand Dukes of Oldenburg'
'Toscana/Tuscany - The Unknown Habsburgs'
- both by David McIntosh, Rosvall Royal Books
In a similar format to the William Mead Lalor books but concentrating on the Grand Ducal Family of Oldenburg and the [Habsburg] Grand Ducal Family of Tuscany.

All five books are in effect photo albums and are highly recommended.

The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins [e-book]

The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins
Marlene Eilers-Koenig

published: 31 March 2012
format: Kindle Edition [e-book]
file size: 101 KB

description

"Prince Victor of Hohenlohe-Langenburg was a nephew of Queen Victoria. He fell in love with an English woman, Laura Seymour. Their marriage was morganatic, and Laura was created Countess Gleichen. They had four children, Feodora, a noted sculptress, Edward, one of the developers of British military intelligence, Valda, a singer, and Helena, a painter, who also had long term relationship with another woman. Valda was the only one to marry and she had one son, Roger Machell, an important British book editor and director of Hamish Hamilton. He edited Cecil Woodham Smith's biography of Queen Victoria.

The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins
is the story of a family, artists, favorites of Victoria and her family, and fringe royals, the first to enter and the first to leave. The British royals were fond of the Gleichens, a talented and artistic family largely unknown to the general public."

[no cover image available]

Last edited:
What books are there on Emperor Wilhelm I of Germany?

:previous:
I don't know if this will help you in your reading yet I have this book I bought about 5 years ago and am on the 2nd reading of it..It is called: "King, Kaiser, Tsar" by Catrine Clay. It is about the 3 boys here, Georgie, Willy and Nicky who were grandsons of Queen Victoria, 2 by birth and one by marriage. It is about how they started WW1 and only King George of England was the only one to survive of the three. It was and still is a very interesting book and shows to me how much they manipulated the world.

I found that in reading it, I had great sympathy for the Kaiser, he had a really horrible childhood and he learned to really distrust the English even though QV was his grandmother.

I hope this is a good book for you, when I read a book more then once I find that I see some events in a different light and learn something new that I hadn't learned before......guess it takes a long time for things to sink in for me...:lol:

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2928696.html

The above post by helenakauz contains information on "Die Wahl ist getroffen...". This book is about 4 Hessen Princesses that married into the Romanv Imperial Family.
The publisher is Justus von Liebig Verlag (ISBN 13978–3–87390– 356–2).

german and austrian royalty and nobility

I don't know If this Is the right place to put this.

I am looking for books or websites on Coats of Arms and Titles of the aristocracy of Germanic middle Europe, mainly for the 19th century onward.
Any help Is appreciated.

I think the Almanach de Gotha on line might have have what you are looking for.There are a number of medieval armorials and other books on line.I think Siebmacher's WappenBuch ia also online too.

I don't know If this Is the right place to put this.

I am looking for books or websites on Coats of Arms and Titles of the aristocracy of Germanic middle Europe, mainly for the 19th century onward.
Any help Is appreciated.

A good beginning is Hugo Gerhard Ströhl, Wappenrolle
Ottfried Neubecker, Heraldry is also good (and in English)
Carl Alexander von Volborth, Heraldik
and for the more dynastic approach:
Hugo Grote, Stammtafeln

My reply is a bit late since your question was asked back in 2009, but still...... I saw someone else reacting as wel so....

Gerard

Hi I’m new to this forum and am interested in European noble families. Could you please indicate where I can find info on particular German noble families? Namely uradel and their recent divorcees, marriages etc? Thank you

A Walk on Broken Glass: Elisabeth, Empress of Austria by Gloria Allen

The Last Empress: The Life and Times of Zita of Austria-Hungary, 1892-1989 by Gordon Brook-Shepherd

The House of Arenberg and the Habsburg monarchy William D Godsey,

The Arenbergs Bertrand Goujon

Back
Top Bottom