The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I have the book somewhere, I read it years ago, but I found it quite interesting at the time. The book deals with Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse and by Rhine, née princess of the UK and 2nd daughter of Queen Victoria. It was written by David Duff and is available at amazon:

Amazon.com: Hessian Tapestry: Hesse Family and British Royalty (9780715378380): David Duff: Books

the site also has some reviews (not too positive about the writing style and some inaccuracies).

Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the replies.
I seem to remember that the Princess in question was placed under house arrest in the UK , following her separation from her German Prince husband, and her return to this country. This was during either the first or second world war.
It could therefore mean that I have got the name of the princess confused. It was along time ago since I saw and dipped into the book.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Gentry

I just finished the Red Prince: the Secret Lives of a Habsburg Archduke by Timothy Snyder. It is a very good account of the fascinating life of this great-great-grandson of Leopold II. Born in today Croatia, son of a Polish Habsburg father and an Italian Habsburg mother, raised to be a Polish prince he ends up candidate to an Ukrainian throne! Very well written and historically accurate. Another book from this famous author.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Nobility

title: "Yo, el baron thyssen"
editorial planeta of Spain

The authorized biography of Baron Thyssen

http://www.novedadesplaneta.es/septi...n-Thyssen.html

Yo, el barón Thyssen, de Heinrich Thyssen Bornemisza. Comprar Yo, el barón Thyssen en Fnac Libros
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2 View Post
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me some good advice? I'm looking for a book that would cover 18th and 19th century German nobility - particually just the ruling families. Something that gives me a bit of background on each one (pictures would be a bonus - though I know of course that photography wasn't much used before 1850 - but there were paintings)

I know that Burkes Peerage might be useful - but it's frightfully expensive. I have sourced some of the "Who's who's" from the 1870's which give some insight - but those really only cover the ruler of the territory and give very little on his family.

Any pointers appreciated - thanks :)
I am more interested in the Habsburg family than in the German royal families but I would recommend you to go to a library,they usually have a lot of good books and you can ask them for anything you are interested in.In my city there are also clubs/groups of students (Studentenverbindungen) who have very good material on history,most of them also have some older members who are very knowledgeable and who are happy if you ask them to tell you what they know about the past!
Some years ago a catalog-order company promoted books on royal genealogy (different royal families in Europe) with many pictures,a family tree and some information about the dinasty and certain exceptional members of each family.The books had a good value for money and I liked the family tree at the end of each book because it is of big help to keep the names apart (sometimes I get quite confused when several persons have the same surname or the family is really big!)
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Aristocracy

Hi! What are, for you, the best photo-ablums about German royalty (Saxony, Bayern, Prussia, Hanover...)?

Regards and thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator

'Royalty Before the Wars'
'Royalty Between the Wars'
'Royalty After the Wars'
- all by William Mead Lalor, Rosvall Royal Books
These three books are sub-headed "A Picture Album" and have detailed and expansive captions for the many (many!) photographs.

'The Grand Dukes of Oldenburg'
'Toscana/Tuscany - The Unknown Habsburgs'
- both by David McIntosh, Rosvall Royal Books
In a similar format to the William Mead Lalor books but concentrating on the Grand Ducal Family of Oldenburg and the [Habsburg] Grand Ducal Family of Tuscany.

All five books are in effect photo albums and are highly recommended.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Aristocracy

"The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins" by Marlene Eilers-Koenig (2012) [e-book]

I am not sure if it is all right to toot my own horn, but my article, The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins is available on Kindle ... all Amazons.

Amazon.com: The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins eBook: Marlene Eilers-Koenig: Kindle Store

A pdf of the article can be ordered from me as well

Royal Musings: The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins - Now on Kindle
Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Administrator

The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins [e-book]

The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins
Marlene Eilers-Koenig

published: 31 March 2012
format: Kindle Edition [e-book]
file size: 101 KB

description

"Prince Victor of Hohenlohe-Langenburg was a nephew of Queen Victoria. He fell in love with an English woman, Laura Seymour. Their marriage was morganatic, and Laura was created Countess Gleichen. They had four children, Feodora, a noted sculptress, Edward, one of the developers of British military intelligence, Valda, a singer, and Helena, a painter, who also had long term relationship with another woman. Valda was the only one to marry and she had one son, Roger Machell, an important British book editor and director of Hamish Hamilton. He edited Cecil Woodham Smith's biography of Queen Victoria.

The Gleichens: the Unknown Royal Cousins
is the story of a family, artists, favorites of Victoria and her family, and fringe royals, the first to enter and the first to leave. The British royals were fond of the Gleichens, a talented and artistic family largely unknown to the general public."

[no cover image available]