The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Aristocracy

Do you know any book about the Imperial Palaces of Austria?

Regards!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Nobility

Title: "Alfonso prinz zu hohenlohe, Unglaublich, aber wahr"
von Alfonso Prinz zu Hohenlohe, Carl Schmidt-Polex (Autor)

http://www.amazon.de/Unglaublich-abe...0500179&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...7L._SS500_.jpg

Title: "Gloria: Die Fürstin - Im Gespräch mit Peter Seewald"
von Gloria Fürstin von Thurn und Taxis von Diana Taschenbuch

Gloria: Die Fürstin - Im Gespräch mit Peter Seewald: Amazon.de: Gloria Fürstin von Thurn und Taxis: Bücher

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...hL._SS500_.jpg

Die Fürstin und der Kardinal: Ein Gespräch über Glauben und Tradition: Amazon.de: Joachim Meisner, Gloria von Thurn und Taxis, Johannes Marten: Bücher

Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Nobility

There is a new book dedicated to the Habsburg family.

Title: "Habsburg: Eine europäische Familie im 21. Jahrhundert"

http://diepresse.com/images/uploads/a/d/7/502487/Unbenannt-2_Kopie20090817154556.jpg

http://diepresse.com/schaufenster/salon/502487/index.do
Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Nobility

Books - Revolution, Monarchist Movements

Can anyone recommend books (English preferred, but I will try to struggle through some German) on the Revolution in the various German states, the lives of the royals after the revolution, and post-revolution monarchist movements in Germany and Austria? Thank you.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Nobility

For Espejor, I recommend you the following book:

Title: The Palaces of Prague
by Zdenek Hojda (Author), Lubomir Porizka (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Palaces-Prague-Zdenek-Hojda/dp/1860640052/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255053711&sr=8-15
Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Commoner

"The Coburg Conspiracy: Royal Plots and Manoeuvres" by Richard Sotnik 2010

The Coburg Conspiracy: Royal Plots and Manoeuvres by Richard Sotnick tells the story about the forebears of England's royal family -- the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family. The cast of characters revealed in the book were like those characters in a modern Soap. It tells about the Coburg's Duchess Luise, Prince Albert's mother who was exiled for life and forebidden to see her children again; cold unfaithful husbands, as well as scheming stepmothers and even a James Hewitt of that time. Duchess Luise can be likened to Princess Diana of her age.

The book was written with great research into a legacy of dysfunction and treachery that may still persist today. It's a history and detective story-in-one.
If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM

This is the first time I've heard about this book and the author. Is it really based on facts from the author's research?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Administrator

The book will be released on 24 May 2010.

"The Coburg Conspiracy: Victoria and Albert - Royal Plots and Manoeuvres"

-> homepage
-> book cover
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by callista View Post
This is the first time I've heard about this book and the author. Is it really based on facts from the author's research?

At one time, Richard Sotnick spoke at Hatchards. The author taught himself German in order to study firsthand some of the family documents that were mostly written in original German. The book is a good read especially for the detective in us. It's like trying to piece together clues. So, it's a great book especially for those not yet very familiar with the Coburg family.
If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMountbatten View Post
At one time, Richard Sotnick spoke at Hatchards. The author taught himself German in order to study firsthand some of the family documents that were mostly written in original German. The book is a good read especially for the detective in us. It's like trying to piece together clues. So, it's a great book especially for those not yet very familiar with the Coburg family.
That's great! I checked the hyperlink from your signature and saw that I can download the first chapter of the book. I've just downloaded it and get back to you when I finish reading it. Based on the first few paragraphs, I think it's an easy read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The book will be released on 24 May 2010.

"The Coburg Conspiracy: Victoria and Albert - Royal Plots and Manoeuvres"

-> homepage
-> book cover
Thanks for the links Warren:)
Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Commoner

[QUOTE=callista;1079897]That's great! I checked the hyperlink from your signature and saw that I can download the first chapter of the book. I've just downloaded it and get back to you when I finish reading it. Based on the first few paragraphs, I think it's an easy read. QUOTE]

You're welcome callista. So how's the first chapter?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 AM

It's an easy read. I find it very helpful especially for the non-historian and those not very familiar with how the Coburgs rose to power in the 19th century. Thanks for sharing the author's blogsite. :)
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Commoner

You're welcome callista. It really is an easy to read book given the difficulty of tracing royal genealogy.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Did anyone know this book?

Title: The Red Prince: The Secret Lives of A Habsburg Archduke
Author: Timothy Snyder
Publication: 2008

It's about Archduke Wilhelm von Habsburg (1896-1948) son of Charles Stephen of Austria and Maria Theresia of Austria-Tuscany.

Is it worth to buy or no?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Nobility

Título: Skandal im Jagdschloss Grunewald: Männlichkeit und Ehre im deutschen Kaiserreich
Autor: Wolfgang Wippermann
Verlag: Primus Verlag; Auflage: 1., Auflage (August 2010)
Sprache: Deutsch
ISBN-10: 3896788108
ISBN-13: 978-3896788108
http://www.amazon.de/Skandal-Jagdschloss-Grunewald-M%C3%A4nnlichkeit-Kaiserreich/dp/3896788108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285063689&sr=8-1

"Trata entre otras cosas sobre la orgía que salpicó al último káiser Guillermo II"
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Nobility

Magnik: check this place for customer reviews of the book you have interest
Amazon.com: The Red Prince: The Secret Lives of a Habsburg Archduke (9780465018970): Timothy Snyder: Gateway
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Nobility

Title: Beauty, Power, Vanity. Photographs from the Prince Ernst August of Hanover Collection
Author: Bodo von Dewitz
editorial: Steidl & Partners, London
http://www.steidlville.com/books/379-Beauty-Power-Vanity-Photographs-from-the-Prince-Ernst-August-of-Hanover-Collection.html
Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Recommend a good book

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me some good advice? I'm looking for a book that would cover 18th and 19th century German nobility - particually just the ruling families. Something that gives me a bit of background on each one (pictures would be a bonus - though I know of course that photography wasn't much used before 1850 - but there were paintings)

I know that Burkes Peerage might be useful - but it's frightfully expensive. I have sourced some of the "Who's who's" from the 1870's which give some insight - but those really only cover the ruler of the territory and give very little on his family.

Any pointers appreciated - thanks :)
Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Aristocracy

"Hessian Tapestry" by David Duff

I remember seeing a book by this title in my local library a few years ago. Now I have more time to read it , the book has been removed from the shelves.
It was, I remember about Princess Louise of Hess Damstart, a Granddaughter ? of Queen Victoria.
Can anyone with more knowledge of European Royalty provide me with any information about this Princess ?
I do not want to use Wiki as I do not always find the information provided reliable.
Many thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Courtier

There wasn't any Luise von Hessen und Rhine that was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria...

Although,every one of her Hessen granddaughters had name Louise(Luise) as one of their names...