The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

"Frederik - Crown Prince of Denmark" by Gitte Redder & Karin Palshøj (2008)

16-05-2008 Fredensborg Crown Prince Frederik.
Pictures were made to a book in connection with his 40th Birthday on the 26th of May. (sport/hond/dier)

PPE Agency

I love the idea of showing different facets of the Crown Prince: Frederik as Crown Prince, father, sportsman.

I love the one of Isabella and Christian being impressed by the bubbles!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

The pictures are great, he looks very handsome with some gray in his hair.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Courtier

I really like these photos. They show the Crown Prince in his many roles. Yes they are posed but aren't all formal pictures posed to some extent? And i agree with most of the posts, the ones with the family are just lovely.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Courtier

The wonderful DRW have some information about the book released for Frederik's birthday, including how he proposed to Mary.
Danish Royal Watchers: Frederik book: meeting Mary and how I proposed
Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Courtier

A few extra details from one of today's Melbourne newspapers:

How he wooed his princess | Herald Sun
Old 05-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjane View Post
I really like these photos. They show the Crown Prince in his many roles. Yes they are posed but aren't all formal pictures posed to some extent? And i agree with most of the posts, the ones with the family are just lovely.
My husband who is a photographer himself just said that they are well done, artistically of value but for him they are too cold, too much distance between the persons portrayed and the viewer. And I wonder what photographer Madeleine would have made of the occasions, for her pics always seem to dance with joy!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
My husband who is a photographer himself just said that they are well done, artistically of value but for him they are too cold, too much distance between the persons portrayed and the viewer.
I agree with your husband, Jo. Steen is a good photographer, but tone of his photographs are not always the best... hence his message. To me some of these images portray a man as being "above it all" "not relatable". For me there is no harmony, if that makes any sense. I would like to see someone shoot Frederik in a more warm manner... not so posey. I would love to see the couple photographed by either Patrick Demarchelier, Sølve Sundsbø, Jürgen Teller, Craig McDean, Inez & Vinoodh, Peter Lindbergh, or dare I say Bruce Weber. There are many others, but I believe it's time to ease back on the Steen photos for a while.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
The pics do seem impersonal. However, I like the excerpts from "How he wooed his princess".

I find it very disappointing that this book has only been released in the Danish language especially with the crown princess being of Australian origin. I'm certain that her native "countrypeople" want to know as much about Frederik as they possible can not to mention the rest of the English speaking royal followers around the world. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping it won't take many years for an English version to released on my side of the globe.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I've just finished reading the book, and I liked it. It could have been expanded some in some of the parts, but I liked it, and it has increased my view of Frederik, and filled up some of the holes that I've been having, in terms of various items regarding him. I'll probably never be his biggest fan, but, as he does in person, he comes off as quite likable and willing to answer and talk about both positive and negative things attributed to himself.

The book is easy to read, although pretty hefty in size, and a very enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

All in all, it's a good add to my royal book collection
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Royal Highness

norwegianne,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book. Even though its not available in the US, I thought I would at least try and find something that was. What a shame that the only book I can find about any Prince of Denmark is Hamlet. Murder most foul!
Old 06-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Aristocracy

Smile Prince Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kerry View Post
I find it very disappointing that this book has only been released in the Danish language especially with the crown princess being of Australian origin. I'm certain that her native "countrypeople" want to know as much about Frederik as they possible can not to mention the rest of the English speaking royal followers around the world. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping it won't take many years for an English version to released on my side of the globe.
I agree, Kerry. We'd certainly love to read it here! I did see some of the pics in the Woman's Day and thought that they were lovely.

I will probably buy Mary: Princess of Style while I'm waiting.

Best,
Lisa
bookaddiction
Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Heir Apparent

The book got a decent review at Berlingske: Fra Pingo til powerbrand - Anmeldelser
where the reviewer points out: "The two authors have gone at it from a journalistic angle, and the book is liberatingly free of anonymous sources and homemade analysis."

A review of the book in Jyllandsposten, mentioned that there were too much glossy-magazine antics at play, and that the authors hadn't been asking critical enough questions.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Royal Highness

Sometimes in order to get an "authorized" book published you have to not ask the right questions. There is a difference between a journalist and an author. Ha!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Nobility

I love that one of Frederick caressing Mary's face. It's so sweet!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Courtier

Best places to buy Danish language books

Hiya Everyone,

Does anyone know the best place to buy the book online that ships to the US?

Also, when shall the price be lower than 299DK?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Emeralds and Opals
Old 08-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Commoner

I heard about this book and it sounds really good. I've seen some of the photography in this and I have to applaud them.

Is there any chance this will be translated to English? Probably not because its more aimed at a Danish audience.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Aristocracy

I've heard that it's going to be available in Australia soon? Does anyone know?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I was flipping through the portrait book when I came across this passage, which I think is pretty illuminating.

Pages 34-35.
This is by Hans Herluf Pedersen, who is 2008 was head of the security detail of PET.

- The Crown Prince is a very independant person and he doesn't come running to me if there is something that doesn't quite work as it should. Then He'll talk with the teamleader or the bodyguard. He handles it himself. In a decent way. The Crown Prince is very disciplined and wouldn't dream of being nasty. When you see what people do in order to get close to him I would sometimes run amok, if I was in his place. But in that respect he's a very fine person. When you know the Crown Prince you can of course tell from his body language that he's boiling inside. But he never takes it out on his associates and bodyguards.

As an ordinary bodyguard, Hans Herluf Pedersen began his career in the Police Intelligence Service (PET) by looking out for a very young Crown Prince and during the almost twenty years, where Hans Herluf Pderesen has been responsible for Frederik's safety, an unusually trustworthy relationship between the bodyguard and the Crown Prince has developed. A friendship. Hans Herluf Pedersen laughs while he tells about the year the Crown Prince studied in Århus in the mid 1980's, where Frederik, quite naturally, tried to manifest a bit of independence in relation to the bodyguards by among other things giving them the slip. One day Frederik went for a ride on his own. At least the bodyguards didn't quite keep up with the Crown Prince when turning a corner and he drove away from them.
He probably figured that my colleague and I would race after him, but I thought, we can't be bothered and drove home to the guardroom at Marselisborg. It didn't take long before Frederik phoned: "Where are you (informal you)"? I replied: "Oh, we drove home and are sitting in the guardroom having a cosy time. You just come home whenever you feel like it".
Frederik wasn't quite used to that.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's a funny story about Frederik and his bodyguards. I think all princes go through the same thing at a young age until they finally accept the "shadows" following them day and night.
It must be difficult to realize you'll never have true privacy or independance.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Very insightful of Joachim........but then he is very articulate. It is a shame that they are still very cool to each other, where in the past they were almost joined at the hip when Alex was the Princess

I sometimes forget that Joachim was with Fred that night at the Slipp Inn so he also got to meet Mary at the same time. And he was also with Fred when they visited Australia at a latter time