Favourite and recommended royal books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sara1981

Heir Apparent
City
North Little Rock
Country
United States
Im been collectors of Princess Diana since she died in 1997 but i got books at stores but i read about her life till her death,affairs,etc. and also Prince William too!

if you are interesting buy book from Majesty order where book been ordering like include Princess Diana,Prince William,HM Queen 2, HM Queen Mother and lots more in Royals but im been orders from Majesty and Amazon lots!

but im still more order from Majesty books and i would hope getting books from Amazon soon!

Sara Boyce

Amazon also have some interesting books,videos about The Royals include:Queen Elizabeth II,Queen Mum,Princess Diana,Prince William and a lot...

King Hussain of jordan has interesting book "mehnati ka malek" in english "My Job as a king" I read some pages of it and it is exciting.
also I would like to read queen Noor book "leap of faith" I read about it, but haven't read it yet.

I really enjoyed "Leap of Faith" and "Palace" by Christian De Massey. One of my favorite royal books was "Once Upon a Time" and of course I've read my share of Diana books... but I think QEII is more interesting "Lilibet" was really good.

I bought some books by mail direct from the Royal Collection shop, and they were a lot cheaper than the same books at Amazon.

My favored Royal Book is the one I.... will buy next month!It is the one that is reffered to The Royal Estate of Tatoi 1800-1967(Publ.Kapon -Athens).All the ithers I've red I just ....adored

Does anybody else have any books about royals that they would like to reccommend to the rest of us?

Any book that made you even more interested in the royals?

My favourite royal book is a biography written by Tor Bomann-Larsen called "Kongstanken - Haakon & Maud 1". It is the first of two books, and I found them very helpful to clarify the somewhat confusing family relations between Europe's royal family.

I haven't read the second one yet (it's still not available at the library:(). It stired up a debate in Norway about wether it was King Haakon or Queen Maud's doctor who was the biological father of King Olav. It's the same author, but the title is "Folket - Haakon & Maud 2" and I think it's mainly about their life as king and queen of Norway.

I think that the book I've read is credible, because the author is one of few authors that have been alowed to work with documents from the royal archives throghout Europe, and all the sources he's used are refered to.

I haven't found an English (or other language) edition of this book, but it's written in Norwegian, so other Scandinavians can understand the book. But I recomend it for those who find the European royal family tree very confusing:D

There are still Kings: The Ten Royal Families of Europe. That was a good book. Also I saw one on Royal Jewelry that was quite nice to look at.

I absolutely loved Diana:A Portrait.It had some really sweet and amazing photos of Diana.Diana:Her True Story was also good,but very sad.

'Little Mother of Russia' by Corynne Hall. An extremely interesting bio on Tsarina Maria Feodorovna (nee Pss Dagmar of Denmark).

Dennism said:
There are still Kings: The Ten Royal Families of Europe. That was a good book.
I have also read this book. It's a good one. It's one of the few ones that I have found that profile monarchies other than the British one. However, it's really dated. According to the book, Olav is still King of Norway, Baudouin is still King of Belgium, Franz-Josef is still reigning Prince of Liechtenstein and Jean is still the Grand Duke of Luxembourg. :) There are many great pictures I have never seen to look through though.

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K Massie is a really good book on the demise of the Romanov Dynasty I highly recommend it.

and he also wrote a book on Peter the Great which is also very good

Gabriella said:
I have also read this book. It's a good one. It's one of the few ones that I have found that profile monarchies other than the British one. However, it's really dated. According to the book, Olav is still King of Norway, Baudouin is still King of Belgium, Franz-Josef is still reigning Prince of Liechtenstein and Jean is still the Grand Duke of Luxembourg. :) There are many great pictures I have never seen to look through though.

Well, it´s old. Yes. I suppose you could say that it´s dated but for its time, it was fairly up-to-date. :)

My personal favorite so far has been:

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece by Hugh Vickers. Although the writing style at times could be dry, the life of Princess Alice (who was mother of The Duke of Edinburgh, sister to both Britains First Sea Lord Earl Mountbatten of Burmer and Queen Louise of Sweden and neace of Empress Alexandra of Russia) is well worth the read. Alice's biography is a humanitarian read which Hugh Vickers has brought to life a princess who is rearly mentioned apart from her name in a paragraph about her famous son, Prince Philip. I recomend the book to anyone interested in Prince Philip, the Battenbergs, Dukes of Hesse, Greek Royal Family or Earl Mountbatten. :)

I think I can recommend the book "A Royal Family". It's the book based the television series by the same name. I found it useful in trying to keep track on how exactly the royals are related to one another. Of course the television series can also be bought on DVD in English, but I find that it is always nice to sit down with a book now and again.

There are also other books that have been very useful, but they're mainly Scandinavian in languages.

I cant beleive I forgot to mention in my last post, Queen Noor's book - i really enjoyed that book, so much so three of my friends who have no interest in royalty borrowed it after me.

The Hapsburgs: Embodying Empire by Andrew Wheatcroft is a wonderful book. It chronicles the whole history of the Austrian Imperial Family from the 1300s to the First World War and contributes some useful insight into the intrigues and issues of the times. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's looking for a good read.

Also, there's a book called The Fourth Crusade and The Sack of Constantinople by Jonathan Phillips which is magnificent. It's not exactly specifically royal in nature but it's very insightful when it comes to the culture clash between Western and Eastern Europe. It also speaks of the Byzantine Imperial Family, the Dukes of Flanders, the Doges of Venice, the Popes, and the Kings of Bulgaria and Europe, which is wonderful.

My are "Diana: A Portrait" and "Diana: Her True Story". And also "There are Still Kings"

My favorite book is the one that was endorsed by Diana's charity. It has wonderful pictures and memories of the Princess.

Mine is a 800 pages book "Lovechild" or "Kærlighedsbarn"(this is the danish title).
It is about the danish princess Louise Augusta, daughter of the english princess Caroline Mathilde who was married to the mad king Christian 7.
Louise augusta was the lovechild of Caroline Mathilde and the royal doctor Struensee.

some book I really really can recomend to everyone is "The House of Glücksborg" written by Bo Bramsen. Its about all the royal decendants of Christian 9. including the later queen Alexandra of Britain, Zarina Maria Fjodorovna of Russia, King Georgios 1 of Greece and so on...
Read it. The danish title is "Huset Glücksborg"

I bought it in Epcot..Disney... it's called "Growing up royal, life in the shadow of the british throne".. is talks about Harry's , Willam's , Beatriz's , Eugene's, Anne's , Charle's and the courrent Queen Elizabeth's childhood and adolescence .. it's pretty good, very interesting

Has anyone else read the "The Firm" by Penny Junor? I thought it was a pretty unbiased and factual potrait of the royals. For once she did not fall all over Prince Charles like she usually does.

I have read books about royal but I would say that my most favorite royal book was a fiction entitled, "The Queen and I"..I forgot the name of the author but she's a British..The book was very hilarious and interesting to read.It was all about "what if" the British Royal Family will live a life like commoners.In the book,United Kingdom was made a Republic and the British Royal Family was force to be commoners and live a very simple life in the English sub-urbs.In the story, Charles and Diana are still a couple and forced to live in a very tiny house.The character of Prince Charles and Prince Philip was a funny one :D ..The book was tastefully furnished in a respectful manner and it showed the Queen's patience and grace amidst the crisis and she had a great sense of humor in the story..Although the book showed how awkward the royal family act if they do things which they do not usually do as a royal,overall, the book has a light and joyous tone and not offensive to the royal family..The story had a surprising twist and ending..

The Queen and I was written by Sue Townsend, also author of the Adrian Mole books. I'll just add that I also found it to be a very entertaining book, though I felt that some of the royals were missing.

norwegianne said:
The Queen and I was written by Sue Townsend, also author of the Adrian Mole books. I'll just add that I also found it to be a very entertaining book, though I felt that some of the royals were missing.
Thanks for that reminder Norwegianne..Yes, i remember now, its Sue Townsend who wrote the book, Queen and I..Its an entertaining book but it will be more exciting :D if the author included other family members especially the most misunderstood Princess Michael of Kent..

I liked the book titled: "Anastasia: The Riddle of Anna Anderson" By Peter Kurth (Little, Brown and Company: Boston, 1983). The book talks about the lady named "Anna Anderson" who claimed to be the long lost Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia. It is a great book that makes a person wonder if she could of been Anastasia. Of course, now we know that she was not Anastasia (DNA tests have been done since this woman's death).

Farah Pahlavi: Memoires
Isabelle Bricard: Les dynasties régnantes
Randi Reisfeld: Prince William: The Boy Who Will Be King
HM Queen Noor: Leap of Faith
Brigitte Hamann: Queen Elisabeth
Brigitte Hamann: Sisi
Jay Mulvaney: Diana and Jackie : Maidens, Mothers, Myths
J. Randy Taraborrelli: Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier
Vincent Meylan: La Véritable Farah

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom