The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2009, 04:42 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Didn't Dominique Paoli write a biography of princess Clementine of Belgium? It was translated to Dutch so I was able to read it. Her other books probably were only written in French and were not translated into English?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Didn't Dominique Paoli write a biography of princess Clementine of Belgium? It was translated to Dutch so I was able to read it. Her other books probably were only written in French and were not translated into English?
Yes, she wrote a bio on princess Clementine.
As far as I know her books were not translated into English but Charlotte Zeepvat quoted one of her books for Charlotte´s article on prince Baudouin of Belgium (brother of king Albert I).
By coincidence I talked to Dominique on the telephone yesterday and she is preparing now a book divided in many parts about the royals during the second war. Princess Mafalda, the Wittelsbachs and the Hohenbergs.
She´s trying to find a copy of the memoirs by the prince Enrico d´Assia (Heinrich von Hesse Kassel) "Lampadario di Cristallo".
She was at the wedding of the duke of Vendome and she parked her car very far from the Cathedral and she got a carriage to go to the Cathedral and the crowd assumed she was a royal and applauded her...it was great FUN!!!!
She said the mayor of Senlis is a fervent royalist and pronnounced an emotional monarchist speech after the religious ceremony. Interesting.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Royal Highness

My favorite royal books are Mary Princess with Style, and the variety I have related to royal jewelry.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

So far my favorite is Queen Victoria's Descendents by Marlene Eilers.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Nobility

Check my page about books dedicated to royals and aristocracy:

Libros sobre la realeza y aristocracia - Cotilleos y Actualidad Personajes Famosos y del Corazón, Monarquia.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Nobility

my favorire royal books

i have a great many in fact....a few of which are
burkes royal families of the world-volume one europe and latin america
the lines of succession & heraldry of the royal families of europe (jiri louda and michael maclagan)
the last courts of europe (jeffrey finestone and robert massie)
debretts kings and queens of europe (david williamson)
the camera and the tsars, queen victoria's family (charlotte zeepvat)
grandmama of europe, the crowned descendants of queen victoria , a family of kings, the descendants of king christian IX of denmark (theo aronson).
alexandra-princess and queen (david duff)
well i could go on.....
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Courtier

I have the sames books like yours : Burkes royal families of the world
& The last courts of Europe.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Administrator

I just received Tiaras Past and Present and Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece by Hugo Vickers. Both great books. I also read Memories of Princess Alice, it was okay. I like the style in which she wrote the book but I would love more information especially about her relationship with Prince Henry,Duke of Gloucester.

Based on the some of the recommendations in the past couple of pages, I am going to check out the Leslie Field book and the The Royal Encyclopedia.

I would love to read books about other royal famillies especially the Belgian and Danish royal families, but are any of them in English?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Aristocracy

good Bios

Queen Victoria's letters are absolutely fascinating and really do provide one with an insight into her character! It is a tragedy that Princess Beatrice was allowed to censor and and in some cases destroy great sackfuls, but nevertheless the remaining papers are still worth the time for anyone interested in seeking an intimate insight into the development, character and opinions of the Grandmama of Europe!

I still find Robert K Massie's masterful duo bio of Nicholas and Alexandra astonishingly well written and beautifully crafted! A lifelong Passion which incorporates a glut of letters and diary entries is also a fascinating and enthralling addition to any aficionado of turn of the twentieth century royalty in private!

James Pope Hennessey's bio of Queen Mary, though written shortly after that illustrious Royal Magpie's passing and subsequently rather reverential in tone, is nevertheless one of the finest examples of a biography that provides a complete and thorough documentary of Queen Mary's life from cradle to grave and does not stint in its magisterial style and handling of a vast amount of primary sources spanning more than eighty five years years and providing equal attention to childhood, adolescence and Mary's life before her first engagement in a way that so many biographies fail to do! I can not recommend it enough!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness

Almost every book I read about Diana belongs to my top favorite royal books.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's hard for me to pick an absolute favorite...I have a whole wall of bookshelves in our library on the subject. I will say I was so happy to have discovered ebay and amazon....far more economical than retail. I frequently buy lots of multiple books. That's were some of my 'best ones' come from...those that are older and out of print!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Aristocracy

One of my favourites are the memoirs of the Duke of Windsor. I know this book may not be too correct, but I love autobiographies.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Aristocracy

I love the biography of Queen Mary by James Pope-Hennessey
Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Hines

Marian, I'm his descendant too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian View Post
I liked to read four interesting books: first, "The Windsor story", of Charles J.V. Murphy and of J. Bryan III, a book really wonderful: "The secret diary of Anne Boleyn", of Robin Maxwell, it is a special book for me. For a royal romance, I recommended the story of "Michael and Natasha", he was really the last zar of Rusia, because Nicholas II abdicated to him, but he didnt want the throne and only he was zar one hour. He was killed before the royal family. His wife had two husband before him and she had a daughter, with one of her husbands, and she had a son with Michael. This book is of Rosemary and Donald Crawford. And a last book, "La corona hecha pedazos" of Horacio Bustamante, talk about the story of Michael Hines, the bastard son of George IV of England. He is my hero for me, his story is very sad. He didnt want to be King of England to the death of his father, for love. The writer of this book, Bustamante, is his descendant.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 AM

I have read many books.But my Favourite royal books are Queen Victoria and Her Decendants by Charlotte Zeepvat.I like also The Queen's Jewel's by Leslie Field book.This is one of my all-time favorite books.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Royal Highness

My favourite reference books are Field's "The Queen's Jewels" & Munn's "Tiaras A History of Splendour" (thanks to this forum for recommending the latter). I particularly enjoyed "Palace" by Christian De Massey for his take on the Rainier & Grace years. Another old favourite is Antonia Fraser's "Mary Queen of Scots".
Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

So far I have read the royal diaries series when I was young
Czarina Alexandra biography,
Josephine de beauharnais biography ,
Hidden diary of Marie Antoinette by carolly erickson
Some Romanov books
"we two " is the title but author ?
Marie Antoinette:the journey
A biography of Madame royal Marie Therese
The first two books of the princess series,a memoir of a princess if the house of al saud
The Romanov prophesy by Steve berry .
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Gentry

I have been rereading Miranda Carter's "Nicholas, George, and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I" for about a year now and no matter how many times I read it it still sounds fresh and interesting. Political and royal history are woven together in a unique and engaging way that makes you want to learn more about these men and that time in history for the royals.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:10 PM

I need your book ideas

Hello,

I am brand new, and the name pretty much gives it away....I can be rather useless at most things.

I am out of books to read, and since I am brand new on this forum...I want to read something "Royal"

So does anyone want to shoot a Royal book title my way?

PS
It is strange that I am writing this from the Library, but I am just not in the mood to start roaming the stacks....I need some guidance gosh darnit
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

There are many types of Royal books, history, biographical, wedding books, etc. If you go in the history section of the library you will find some of these.

There are also romantic novels. A couple of years ago Harlequin Present had a series of books about a fictious royal family present day. The name of the royal family was the House of Karedes. There was about 8 books in the series. I've read them all.

Some royal novels are fictious and occur back in the 17th century. Some of these are hard for me to read because I don't like the way women were treated back then. However, this is the reality of what was and you can't sugar coat it because it is what it is. In these books you usually have a woman whose a strong character who overcomes a lot of things.

Well, hope this has helped you. Good Luck on your search.