Favourite and recommended royal books

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hilal said:
Farah Pahlavi: Memoirs

do you mean her book "an enduring love" or did she write another one?

I adored "an enduring love" so beautiful. I read it straight through.

pollyemma said:

Yes, "An enduring love" and Memoires are that-same book. I read also. Since at that time I bought more books from Farah Pahlavi. She is my favourite.

pollyemma said:

To Farah wrote in 1978 a book: My thousand and one days : an autobiography ...

TSAR Peter Kurth
Queen Victoria's Decendants Marlene A. Eilers
Queen Victoria's Family: A century of Photographs Charlottte Zeepavt
Lines of Succession Michael MacLagan
Kings and Queens of England David Williamson

"The Camera and the Tsars: A Romanov Family Album" by Charlotte Zeepvat - this is an excellent collection of photos that not only includes the immediate family of Tsar Nicholas II, but also portrays many of the lesser-known branches of the Romanov family.
"The Last Romantic: Queen Marie of Romania" and "An Uncommon Woman: The Empress Frederick" by Hannah Pakula - engrossing, well-written biographies of two amazing royal woman.
"Royal Sunset" by Gordon Brook-Shepherd - an interesting account of the royal families of Europe from the lead up to and the aftermath of the Great War.
"A Family of Kings" by Theo Aronson - well-written biographies of the illustrious royal descendants of King Christian IX. :)

Two oldies, but goodies, that I thoroughly enjoyed were:

The Royal Encyclopedia (1991) Ronald Allison and Sarah Riddell, which provides loads of information on various past and present monarchs, royal families, palaces, and other interesting aspects of life of the Royal Family and life in the Palace (including protocols, responsibilities, etc.). There are over 1,000 different topics/entries.

Chronicles of the Royal Family (1991) by Chronicle Communications Ltd. This reference book provides interesting articles, information, and photos on monarchs from Alfred the Great to QEII (a great help for history projects, hehe). There is also an appendix on royal palaces and residences.

I'm eagerly waiting for the mailman to deliver two books on royal jewels which I'm sure will be added to my favourite list: The Queen's Jewels:The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II by Leslie Fields and Tiaras: A History of Splendour 1800-2000 by Geoffrey Munn. Thanks to the others for their reviews on these books in the sub-forum on books about royal jewels. I look forward to reading these.

laduchesse said:
I'm eagerly waiting for the mailman to deliver two books on royal jewels which I'm sure will be added to my favourite list: The Queen's Jewels:The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II by Leslie Fields and Tiaras: A History of Splendour 1800-2000 by Geoffrey Munn.
The Queen's Jewels.. Elizabeth II: a great reference work.
Tiaras: A History of Splendour: Gasp in amazement. :)

Last edited:
I find the Queens jewels somewhat disappointing, especially the quality of some pictures. The collections they portray are exquisite, especially the Italian one (I am annoyed that they didnt put Marie-Jose on the cover but a picture of Queen Elizabeth, which looks less glamourous).

Sorry, I was ambiguous. I meant the Queen Elizabeth Jewels book by Leslie Field is a great reference work. I'll correct that.

The "Queen's Jewels" book by Vincent Meylan I agree is OK, but disappointing overall. I expected more, since he does some great stuff for Point de Vue. The version I have (English, hardcover) has Queen Marie José on the cover looking particularly glamorous and dripping with diamonds.

now that annoys me even more! Mine is hardcover and in english as well (and terribly expensive for a book I might add).

I'm half way finished reading Leap of Faith by Queen Noor and I have one thing to say: Wow! What a great book so far. If anyone here hasn't read it I highly recommend you pick it up.

Unfortunately, I'm not that well informed about Middle Eastern royalty specifically the royal family of Jordan, but now my intrest has sparked.:) Several months ago, I ran across a headline in the L.A. Times about King Abdullah dismissing his step-brother as heir to the throne. At the time, I really didn't pay that much attention to it. Can anyone be so kind as to tell me why His Majesty decided this? Does that now mean King Abdullah's son will now inherit the throne? Or will he hand it to another brother? How did Prince Hamzah take it? How did Queen Noor respond to this action? If at all. What do you think about the King's actions?

:)

Last edited:
Victoria's Daughters by Jerrold M. Packard, Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece by Hugo Vickers, and just about any royal book by Ingrid Seward, are my favorites.

The Romanovs: Autocrats of All the Russians by W. Bruce Lincoln is a fascinating, detailed account of the royals who ruled Russia from the middle ages up until the murder of Czar Nicholas II and his family.
The details of the facts surrounding each reign are incredible, very well-researched, and the style used by Lincoln will suck you in. I was riveted. This book is a true page turner. I read it for a class, but it did not feel like work at all. It was a total pleasure.

GlitteringTiaras said:
I'm half way finished reading Leap of Faith by Queen Noor and I have one thing to say: Wow! What a great book so far. If anyone here hasn't read it I highly recommend you pick it up.

Unfortunately, I'm not that well informed about Middle Eastern royalty specifically the royal family of Jordan, but now my intrest has sparked.:) Several months ago, I ran across a headline in the L.A. Times about King Abdullah dismissing his step-brother as heir to the throne. At the time, I really didn't pay that much attention to it. Can anyone be so kind as to tell me why His Majesty decided this? Does that now mean King Abdullah's son will now inherit the throne? Or will he hand it to another brother? How did Prince Hamzah take it? How did Queen Noor respond to this action? If at all. What do you think about the King's actions?

:)

I read the book around 6 montsh ago "GT" and like you, I think it wonderful. A beautiful account of a most impressive life thus far.

"MII"

KatieLouise said:
illustrious royal descendants of King Christian IX. :)

that is a fantastic book! i enjoyed it immensely. so informative.

Born to Rule : Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria by Julia Gelardi. Its a great book and you see how just about all of the European houses are all related. Just a bit confusing at first because you have to keep up with all of the names but definitely worth the read.

I just bought Elizabeth and Mary by Jane Dunn on audiobook. Is it any good?

glossypinky said:
I absolutely loved Diana:A Portrait.It had some really sweet and amazing photos of Diana.Diana:Her True Story was also good,but very sad.

I agree with you Glossy pinky. I am very happy to have these as a part of my collection. I also enjoyed reading A Royal Duty by Paul Burrell it was a behind the scenes look at the life he had and his relationship with the Princess Diana and The Queen throughout his years as a butler.

I have the book "Le Roi Baudouin - une vie qui nous parle" ( éditions F.I.A.T) with the preface written by Cardenal Suenens. I have the translation is portuguese. It's a diary of King Baudouin, and he explains how he met his wife, Queen Fabiola and also talks about many other things through his life.

It's a very good book, I highly recomended, for the ones who want to read about a great man, a great king, a Saint of out times, and someone who lived with his heart full of love for the Others.

I always enjoy reading books on Henry VIII and his queens. I can't remember how many times I have read books on this, its countell, like many people. I like the way different authors depict and describe as well as execute the story (tone, manner etc)

I liked to read four interesting books: first, "The Windsor story", of Charles J.V. Murphy and of J. Bryan III, a book really wonderful: "The secret diary of Anne Boleyn", of Robin Maxwell, it is a special book for me. For a royal romance, I recommended the story of "Michael and Natasha", he was really the last zar of Rusia, because Nicholas II abdicated to him, but he didnt want the throne and only he was zar one hour. He was killed before the royal family. His wife had two husband before him and she had a daughter, with one of her husbands, and she had a son with Michael. This book is of Rosemary and Donald Crawford. And a last book, "La corona hecha pedazos" of Horacio Bustamante, talk about the story of Michael Hines, the bastard son of George IV of England. He is my hero for me, his story is very sad. He didnt want to be King of England to the death of his father, for love. The writer of this book, Bustamante, is his descendant.

Speaking of Henry 8, one of my favorite authors is Alison Weir. I loved her book on Henry 8 and his wives. I just recently read The Children of Henry 8 and now I am going to read Queen Elizabeth 1 by her. I would suggest her to anyone who wants to read about the Royals.

But my all time favorite book is Grandmama of Europe by Theo Aronson. Its interesting and really funny. I have read it at least four times.

sara1981 said:
Im been collectors of Princess Diana since she died in 1997 but i got books at stores but i read about her life till her death,affairs,etc. and also Prince William too!

if you are interesting buy book from Majesty order where book been ordering like include Princess Diana,Prince William,HM Queen 2, HM Queen Mother and lots more in Royals but im been orders from Majesty and Amazon lots!

but im still more order from Majesty books and i would hope getting books from Amazon soon!

Sara Boyce
My favourite royal magazine and book is Majesty,The Quality Royal Magazine and HRH Prince Charles,A Ladybird for a Royal Occasion.

Last edited:
Hello
Actually I'm reading book written by Isabelle Bricard - "Les dynasties regnantes d'Europe" , its polish translation.
The book presents in a very interesting way the current royals family which are still reigning. There's a lot of details, unknown facts and what's the most important to understand family connections - there are family tree at the end of book. It' s a book worth of being read!

I enjoyed a book called "Elizabeth & Phillip" about the royal marriage. It gives a decent basic background of Prince Phillip and his family. Unfortunately I borrowed from a library about a year ago and cant remember the author. But I would recomend it.

To Farah wrote in 1978 a book: My thousand and one days : an autobiography ...

Do you know if "Memoires" in the continuation of this book or "My thousand and one days" is totally different to "Memoires"?

How many biographies about Farah do you know?

I know:

-"My thousand and one days"
-"La veritable Farah" by Vincent Meylan
-"Farah: La cruelle destinée" by Leon Zitrone
-"Memoires" by Farah Pahlavi

Regards and thanks!

I was OBSESSED with "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert Massie when I was a teenager.Then I read every book on them,no joke!
Also "A Princess Remembers" the last Maharani of Jaipur, Ayesha, is a great look into the last ages of the Maharajas and the whole system of purdah in India.

I´ve got too many favorite books!

"Ena y Bee, en defensa de una amistad"
by Ana de Sagrera

all books by my friend Ricardo Mateos Sainz de Medrano

all books by my friend Luciano Regolo

all books by my friend Dominique Paoli

all books by Charlotte Zeepvat

almost all memoirs of menbers of royalty,

etc, etc, etc

Back
Top Bottom