The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Royal Highness

My favorite book is the one that was endorsed by Diana's charity. It has wonderful pictures and memories of the Princess.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:19 AM
Courtier

Mine is a 800 pages book "Lovechild" or "Kærlighedsbarn"(this is the danish title).
It is about the danish princess Louise Augusta, daughter of the english princess Caroline Mathilde who was married to the mad king Christian 7.
Louise augusta was the lovechild of Caroline Mathilde and the royal doctor Struensee.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:22 AM
Courtier

some book I really really can recomend to everyone is "The House of Glücksborg" written by Bo Bramsen. Its about all the royal decendants of Christian 9. including the later queen Alexandra of Britain, Zarina Maria Fjodorovna of Russia, King Georgios 1 of Greece and so on...
Read it. The danish title is "Huset Glücksborg"
Old 09-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Gentry

I bought it in Epcot..Disney... it's called "Growing up royal, life in the shadow of the british throne".. is talks about Harry's , Willam's , Beatriz's , Eugene's, Anne's , Charle's and the courrent Queen Elizabeth's childhood and adolescence .. it's pretty good, very interesting
Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

Has anyone else read the "The Firm" by Penny Junor? I thought it was a pretty unbiased and factual potrait of the royals. For once she did not fall all over Prince Charles like she usually does.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Nobility

I have read books about royal but I would say that my most favorite royal book was a fiction entitled, "The Queen and I"..I forgot the name of the author but she's a British..The book was very hilarious and interesting to read.It was all about "what if" the British Royal Family will live a life like commoners.In the book,United Kingdom was made a Republic and the British Royal Family was force to be commoners and live a very simple life in the English sub-urbs.In the story, Charles and Diana are still a couple and forced to live in a very tiny house.The character of Prince Charles and Prince Philip was a funny one ..The book was tastefully furnished in a respectful manner and it showed the Queen's patience and grace amidst the crisis and she had a great sense of humor in the story..Although the book showed how awkward the royal family act if they do things which they do not usually do as a royal,overall, the book has a light and joyous tone and not offensive to the royal family..The story had a surprising twist and ending..

Old 09-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and I was written by Sue Townsend, also author of the Adrian Mole books. I'll just add that I also found it to be a very entertaining book, though I felt that some of the royals were missing.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
The Queen and I was written by Sue Townsend, also author of the Adrian Mole books. I'll just add that I also found it to be a very entertaining book, though I felt that some of the royals were missing.
Thanks for that reminder Norwegianne..Yes, i remember now, its Sue Townsend who wrote the book, Queen and I..Its an entertaining book but it will be more exciting if the author included other family members especially the most misunderstood Princess Michael of Kent..

Old 10-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Gentry

I liked the book titled: "Anastasia: The Riddle of Anna Anderson" By Peter Kurth (Little, Brown and Company: Boston, 1983). The book talks about the lady named "Anna Anderson" who claimed to be the long lost Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia. It is a great book that makes a person wonder if she could of been Anastasia. Of course, now we know that she was not Anastasia (DNA tests have been done since this woman's death).
Old 11-29-2005, 06:58 AM
Serene Highness

Farah Pahlavi: Memoires
Isabelle Bricard: Les dynasties régnantes
Randi Reisfeld: Prince William: The Boy Who Will Be King
HM Queen Noor: Leap of Faith
Brigitte Hamann: Queen Elisabeth
Brigitte Hamann: Sisi
Jay Mulvaney: Diana and Jackie : Maidens, Mothers, Myths
J. Randy Taraborrelli: Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier
Vincent Meylan: La Véritable Farah
Old 11-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilal
Farah Pahlavi: Memoirs
do you mean her book "an enduring love" or did she write another one?

I adored "an enduring love" so beautiful. I read it straight through.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma

Yes, "An enduring love" and Memoires are that-same book. I read also. Since at that time I bought more books from Farah Pahlavi. She is my favourite.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma

To Farah wrote in 1978 a book: My thousand and one days : an autobiography ...

Old 01-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Gentry

TSAR Peter Kurth
Queen Victoria's Decendants Marlene A. Eilers
Queen Victoria's Family: A century of Photographs Charlottte Zeepavt
Lines of Succession Michael MacLagan
Kings and Queens of England David Williamson
Old 01-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilal
HM Queen Noor: Leap of Faith
I just bought this book the other day. Yes, I know I'm a late comer, but better late than never.:)
Old 01-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Philip and Elizabeth
Old 01-02-2006, 06:35 AM
Nobility

"The Camera and the Tsars: A Romanov Family Album" by Charlotte Zeepvat - this is an excellent collection of photos that not only includes the immediate family of Tsar Nicholas II, but also portrays many of the lesser-known branches of the Romanov family.
"The Last Romantic: Queen Marie of Romania" and "An Uncommon Woman: The Empress Frederick" by Hannah Pakula - engrossing, well-written biographies of two amazing royal woman.
"Royal Sunset" by Gordon Brook-Shepherd - an interesting account of the royal families of Europe from the lead up to and the aftermath of the Great War.
"A Family of Kings" by Theo Aronson - well-written biographies of the illustrious royal descendants of King Christian IX. :)
Old 01-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Aristocracy

Two oldies, but goodies, that I thoroughly enjoyed were:

The Royal Encyclopedia (1991) Ronald Allison and Sarah Riddell, which provides loads of information on various past and present monarchs, royal families, palaces, and other interesting aspects of life of the Royal Family and life in the Palace (including protocols, responsibilities, etc.). There are over 1,000 different topics/entries.

Chronicles of the Royal Family (1991) by Chronicle Communications Ltd. This reference book provides interesting articles, information, and photos on monarchs from Alfred the Great to QEII (a great help for history projects, hehe). There is also an appendix on royal palaces and residences.

I'm eagerly waiting for the mailman to deliver two books on royal jewels which I'm sure will be added to my favourite list: The Queen's Jewels:The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II by Leslie Fields and Tiaras: A History of Splendour 1800-2000 by Geoffrey Munn. Thanks to the others for their reviews on these books in the sub-forum on books about royal jewels. I look forward to reading these.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse
I'm eagerly waiting for the mailman to deliver two books on royal jewels which I'm sure will be added to my favourite list: The Queen's Jewels:The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II by Leslie Fields and Tiaras: A History of Splendour 1800-2000 by Geoffrey Munn.
The Queen's Jewels.. Elizabeth II: a great reference work.
Tiaras: A History of Splendour: Gasp in amazement. :)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I find the Queens jewels somewhat disappointing, especially the quality of some pictures. The collections they portray are exquisite, especially the Italian one (I am annoyed that they didnt put Marie-Jose on the cover but a picture of Queen Elizabeth, which looks less glamourous).