"The Queen's Diamonds" by Hugh Roberts (2012) [Elizabeth II]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
'The Queen's Diamonds'
by Hugh Roberts

Publisher: Royal Collection Enterprises Ltd
Publication Date: 15 July 2012
ISBN-13: 9781905686384
Hardback

Description

Amazon
The splendor and sparkle of the diamond is unmatched by that of any other gem in the world. As status symbols or emblems ofendless love, diamonds have been worn, collected, and presented as lavish gifts since the earliest days of antiquity. Today, steady sales—and borrowed baubles on the arms of starlets—indicate that diamonds remain among the most sought-after gemstones. But few, if any, private collections surpass that of Queen Elizabeth II.

The Queen’s Diamonds takes readers on a tour of the magnificent royal inheritance of diamonds from Queen Adelaide in the 1830s to the present day. The book features more than seventy awe-inspiring pieces of jewelry from one of the finest collections in the world. With three hundred full-color photographs—many newly commissioned for the book—the dazzling display ranges from the flawless pink diamond presented to Princess Elizabeth, as she was then known, for her wedding in 1947 to nineteenth-century diamond diadems to the Cartier “Halo” tiara worn most recently by The Duchess of Cambridge at her wedding in April 2011. As informative as it is stunningly beautiful, the book includes information on many items of international importance and great historic significance.

Published on the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen’s Diamonds offers the first authorized account of this iconic and unparalleled collection of diamond jewelry. The photos superbly encapsulate the breathtaking beauty of the subjects, and the descriptions are packed with fascinating details.

Van Hoogstraten Online
This book provides the first authorised account of the history of some of the finest diamond jewellery in the world. Published on the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, it tells the story of the magnificent royal inheritance of diamonds from the time of Queen Adelaide in the 1830s to the present day. Illustrated with a wealth of archive material as well as extensive new photography of the jewels, this important publication includes stones of international importance as well as items of great historic significance, and wile a standard work reference on diamond jewellery for many years to come. Hugh Roberts was Director of the Royal Collection from 1996 to 2010. Hardback with slipcase, in English, 315:250 mm, 320 pages, more than 300 colour illustrations.

Telegraph: Crowning glory - the Queen's Jewels
...The majority of the personal jewellery in the Queen's collection dates from the 19th or early 20th centuries. Most of the jewels are set with old brilliants and rose cuts; modern brilliants are found only on pieces made or remodelled after about 1920. The settings of the jewellery are of silver, white or yellow gold, or platinum, in various combinations – platinum being especially favoured towards the end of the 19th century. With few exceptions, the workmanship is English.

In design terms the Queen's collection represents the median of fashion of the era in which it was made, neither especially avant-garde nor unduly conservative. But when any jewellery is worn by royalty, it almost inevitably attracts wide attention and is capable of popularising a particular type of jewel or way of wearing it. Such was the case with Queen Victoria, whose preference for the tiara – instead of a wreath with detachable sprays, or a jewelled comb – established the pattern for head ornaments, and with Queen Alexandra, whose penchant for dog-collar necklaces and long strings of pearls, and her habit of 'layering' jewellery, set fashions that lasted decades.

One of the unique aspects of the collection lies in the rich archival background, which includes inventories, bills, diaries and other documents held in the Royal Archives and elsewhere. These records enable pieces to be followed from owner to owner, while also allowing detailed study of the transformation that many pieces have undergone as fashions and tastes have changed. The recycling of stones is a particular feature of the collection: for a variety of reasons, new jewellery was made, more often than not, using diamonds removed from out-of-date or unfashionable pieces – often into brooches and, to a lesser extent, necklaces and tiaras.

Mail Online: The Queen's bling-bling of a Jubilee!

The Press Association: New book features Queen's jewels

AAJ News: Queen's ultimate diamond collection revealed for the first time

v Cover
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• The Queen's Diamonds.jpg
    The Queen's Diamonds.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,448
The Queen's Diamonds

Heavenly book! The pictures are spectacular. Now we need Sir Hugh to write one about The Queens' other jewelry...sapphires, rubies and so on. It does make one wonder, though, what is hidden away in all those collections. After all there were many jewels given by the Indian princes to Queen Victoria, Queen Aleandra, and Queen Mary. Since they are considered personal property, one can only guess.

"The Queen's Diamonds" is a splendid book! I received mine as a birthday gift.

Oh, I truly love the Kokoshnik...such a wall of diamonds on the head. Popsicle sticks or no...LOL

:previous:
I'm buying that book right now.
Have heard so many wonderful reviews, plus I'm a sucker for good quality pictures of jewellery.

Artemisia said:
:previous:
I'm buying that book right now.
Have heard so many wonderful reviews, plus I'm a sucker for good quality pictures of jewellery.

You'll love it! I bought it as a part of my fortieth birthday present to myself - the other part being a month in Australia !

Ordered it on Amazon yesterday; it should be here in about 3-5 days. Can't wait!
By the way, Happy Belated Birthday, ldmemail! :)

Artemisia said:
Ordered it on Amazon yesterday; it should be here in about 3-5 days. Can't wait!
By the way, Happy Belated Birthday, ldmemail! :)

Thank you very much Artemisia! :)

I love the book - amazing photographs, one could almost reach into the page and lift the item on display! Ahhhh..........if only!

Indeed, if only... ;)
I have recently purchased Leslie Field's "Queen's Jewels: The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II" and absolutely love it.
If this one is anything like the Field's I'm definitely loving it - and they say it's actually better than the "Queen's Jewels", although its main focus is on diamonds.

i have both -different but fabulous in their own right. The Queens Diamonds photography will blow you away!

Artemisia said:
Indeed, if only... ;)
I have recently purchased Leslie Field's "Queen's Jewels: The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II" and absolutely love it.
If this one is anything like the Field's I'm definitely loving it - and they say it's actually better than the "Queen's Jewels", although its main focus is on diamonds.

I have both - I prefer Hugh Roberts' book for it's historical value.

Now we need Sir Hugh to write one about The Queens' other jewelry...sapphires, rubies and so on.

Cynthia, indeed, indeed! A book like that with close ups of rubies and sapphires and emeralds...I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Indeed, if only... ;)

I've just ordered that book!

I also have both books and they are just breathtaking. The Queen's Diamonds is just an absolute delight. :)

I've just ordered that book!
Trust me, you won't be disappointed. :)
I haven't put down the book every since it arrived; the photographs are simply breathtaking!

Trust me, you won't be disappointed. :)
I haven't put down the book every since it arrived; the photographs are simply breathtaking!

I'm really looking forward to it :flowers:

I loved seeing the comments from several people about giving the book to themselves for a birthday because that is what I did as well. I can't say enough about the pictures. I was also interested to learn how some of the pieces can be adapted. Case in point: I always thought that if I owned Queen Alexandria's wedding necklace from her husband, I would have it adapted so that the 3 pendant pearls could be taken off to give the necklace more versatility. Well, guess what - they do come off. Another thing that is helpful, we now know for sure that some pieces no longer exist and what they were broken up to make.

This one is well worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom