"Diana, Princess of Wales" by Mario Testino (2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiana

Gentry
City
Newfoundland
Country
Canada
Have you all heard of the new Diana book by photographer Mario Testino??????
It should be awesome. I'm very anxious to get it. It comes out next month. Here's the synopsis of it.

Synopsis
Inside Princess Diana's last portrait session. Just five months before her tragic death in August 1997, Diana Princess of Wales was photographed by Mario Testino for Vanity Fair. The book brings together the most beautiful images from this last portrait sitting, displaying Diana in a state of relaxation and intimacy unlike any other. The selection of about seventy photographs includes many unseen images which, alongside previously published images, fill in the untold story of the shoot? Also included is an interview with Mario Testino about his recollections of the sitting and as well as a contribution from Hamish Bowles, European editor-at-large of American Vogue. The book is edited by Patrick Kinmonth, long-term collaborator and friend of Testino's. It includes foreword by Meredith Etherington-Smith, who played a mayor role in arranging the sitting in 1997, and a testino interview conducted by Hamish Bowles, and contribution by Hamish Bowles. Chapters are arranged according to the various dresses worn by Diana. It includes an appendix with information detailing the dresses featured in the Work and identifying those on display at Kensington Palace. The book coincides with an exhibition at Kensington Palace, opening in November 2005.

here's the link on amazon uk (it don't show a picture of the book on the amazon.ca yet? not sure about the U.S. one)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/3822849308/ref=ord_cart_shr/202-5307276-2143024?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I hadn't heard of it till now. Thanks! This is one I'll definitely be buying rather than all the tell alls.:)

I hadn't heard of it either. I'm excited to see what new photos of Diana will be in there. It sounds like it will be great.

Cool..thank you for bringing this to our attention. Mario always captured her so beautifully....her Vogue cover in the white dress where she is sitting with her legs tucked up and her arms on her legs....

He really captures the human and fun loving side of Harry and William and Charles as well..

Wow, this should be a beautiful book. Thanks for the info.

Thank you Canadiana. I hadn't heard about this book. I can't wait to see it. I always thought that Testino along with Patrick Demarchelier, captured Diana at her best. I know Lord Snowdon photographed her quite a bit, but I never really felt that he captured the essence of Diana in his photographs. Testino's portraits brought her to life - you felt like you were getting a sense of the real Diana.

Sounds like the Christie's catalogue of the dress sale. Mario only photographed her that one time. It'll be interesting to see what kind of fillers they put in to call it a book.

i wanted that BOOKS!!!!!

Sara Boyce

new book for HRH Princess Diana of Wales

:eek: MUST HAVE!!

Wow the link to the book is great and I LOVE that close up colour photo, her eyes are just stunning . Wow of all the pix I've seen and I've seen and probably own millions that one just knocks me for 6. I swear I'd pay $100 for that book glad I don't have too but Wow Wow Wow!!!!

I have to get this book too. Thanx for letting us know about it canadiana.
I think it'll become a second favourite of mine, after the beautiful jayne fincher book.

It's interesting you say this--and I agree 100%! Diana said she, too, felt less comfortable with Lord Snowdon but used him for the Christie's catalog and other things because she was trying to make amends with the Royal Family. The photos of her by Lord Snowdon for the catolog showed a rather tense, older looking Diana IMO--contrasted with Demarchelier and Testino.
Squidgy said:
Thank you Canadiana. I hadn't heard about this book. I can't wait to see it. I always thought that Testino along with Patrick Demarchelier, captured Diana at her best. I know Lord Snowdon photographed her quite a bit, but I never really felt that he captured the essence of Diana in his photographs. Testino's portraits brought her to life - you felt like you were getting a sense of the real Diana.

does Mario get paid for it--or does all the money it makes go to charity??

Thanks for the link Sammy.:)

I have never seen that picture before. I love it! Diana had a beautiful profile and her hair looks gorgeous. Ohhh! I can't wait for this book!

I can't wait to get this book!!! No one can touch Diana in beauty and elegance!

I posted some photos from the book in Princess diana picture thread II
(the phoros send to me for mail GRA GUZZI)

Sammy said:
For the Kensington Palace exhibition to go along with the book.
(As well as another picture we hadn't seen before!)

http://www.hrp.org.uk/webcode/content.asp?ID=38

i went there at Kensington Palace its so fun and include late Diana,Princess of Wales's famous dress and HM Queen's dress, HM Queen's wedding dress after that they have shopping at Kensington Palace.

and i saw Diana's old home front i took pictures

Sara Boyce

Re:

Another book by someone who had a vague connection to Diana. When will we see the tales of complete strangers who brushed past her in a street publishing their stories, all claiming to have known the real Diana and raking in endless profits from books that have very little substance to them?

Just in case anyone missed Entertainment Tonight last night, the Vanity Fair magazine (on newsstands November 8) will feature some of the photos taken by Mario Testino. They showed some of the pics, and they are stunnning!! Makes me MORE anxious to get the book.

BeatrixFan said:
Another book by someone who had a vague connection to Diana. When will we see the tales of complete strangers who brushed past her in a street publishing their stories, all claiming to have known the real Diana and raking in endless profits from books that have very little substance to them?

Vague you can't be serious I think if you take that many pictures of someone it's hardly vague.

Canadiana said:
Vague you can't be serious I think if you take that many pictures of someone it's hardly vague.
Didn't they meet that only time at the photo session? Taking a few dozen photos in a few hours doesn't amount to getting to know a person. I can chat up with people at parties for hours, talking about absolutely nothing meaningful, and still have a great time. It was a false intimacy. Sending a note about how nice the photos came out is just good manners, not a confession.

Incas said:
Didn't they meet that only time at the photo session? Taking a few dozen photos in a few hours doesn't amount to getting to know a person. I can chat up with people at parties for hours, talking about absolutely nothing meaningful, and still have a great time. It was a false intimacy. Sending a note about how nice the photos came out is just good manners, not a confession.

Well maybe I'm wrong as I thought they knew each other this photo session??? If so I stand to be corrected.:rolleyes:

My sister and I were looking at this book on Saturday. It's breathtaking Regardless of what your personal thoughts and opinions of Diana are you cannot help but be struck by her mesmerising beauty.

I have this book and I highly recommend buying it! The pictures are gorgeous, very fresh takes on our beautiful princess. I always enjoyed the picture books about Diana from the early 80's and this is definitely an updated 'companion' to all of them. I miss Diana very much and miss seeing new pictures of her that haven't been seen before. This satisfied that longing.

did anyone purchase the picture book by mario testino? any good? lots of good pictures? i am thinking of buying it

xtan said:
did anyone purchase the picture book by mario testino? any good? lots of good pictures? i am thinking of buying it

I have it. Fabulous book! I would highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom