Books on Diana, Princess of Wales

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are 2 books, I think, show the reah history:
Bradford, Sarah (2006). Diana
Kelley, Kitty (1997). The Royals

I don't agree with Kitty Kelley's The Royals but Sarah Bradford's Diana was a great read I enjoyed it. Also Tina Brown's The Diana Chronicles was a decent read too.

I don't agree with Kitty Kelley's The Royals but Sarah Bradford's Diana was a great read I enjoyed it. Also Tina Brown's The Diana Chronicles was a decent read too.

sirhon, I thought a lot of Tina Brown's biography on Diana, Princess of Wales was taken from Sarah Bradford's book on Princess Diana. I have enjoyed other Bradford's biographies. I think she is a author who researches her material and makes a realistic biography of a person.:flowers:

Thanks a lot so far for your responses. I will read the bio's written bij Simmons, Bradford, and Tina Brown, ,Burrel. It is better that i read them all and in the end make my own opinion. I still have a holiday coming so that will be a good time for it.

What do you think about the early bio's by Ann Morrow and lady Colin Campbell? I have them but i never have read them because i found it hard to believe that they are reliable.

:books:

thanks again and regards from di-fan

sirhon, I thought a lot of Tina Brown's biography on Diana, Princess of Wales was taken from Sarah Bradford's book on Princess Diana. I have enjoyed other Bradford's biographies. I think she is a author who researches her material and makes a realistic biography of a person.:flowers:

Tina Brown used Sarah Bradford's biography as a source just like she used Andrew Morton's book, Patrick Jephson's and a multitute of other books as sources, she had an extensive bibliography. Brown referenced what she used from Sarah Bradford's biography so it's easy to see how little of it she actually used. If most of it was taken from it then that's plagarism and Sarah Bradford would have sued and she didn't!

Sarah Bradford is not a good biographer and she certainly doesn't research her material well, she relies too much of the type of gossipy information that is provided in tabloid stories. She also relies far too heavily on annoymous sources (see her references, lots of 'private information' 'private source') attributing information to a source is how one evaluates what is a well researched biography and what is a poorly researched one. Her's fall in the area of poorly researched, contrast the reference section in Sarah Bradford's biography to that in Tina Brown's, Brown's is superior and her named sources are far better. (No friend of a friend type sources) That's why Tina Brown's biography is good and Sarah Bradford's is not good. Also Brown puts Diana's life in the social and media perspective, it's a far deeper analysis than the shallow gossipy Bradford biography.

Moving away from Diana books but still looking at Sarah Bradford's royal biographies. Contrast her book on QEII, with that of Giles Brandeth's Philip and Elizabeth. Huge contrast, his research is thorough no relying on newspaper stories, gets people to speak 'on the record' including Prince Philip. The Brandeth biography is far superior.

Judging what is a good biography should go beyond the 'If the biographer promotes the view that I hold, it must be a good biography" Well, no it's not. A good biography is one with an extensive bibliography relevant to the person being profiled, and well referenced so one can judge the quality of the research and no annoymous sources! That's why the Bradford biography is only sightly better than the Kitty Kelley book. It's not terrible but it's not great either. Tina Brown's is better, I would rate hers as good to very good.

Best Diana Book to Get?

I would like to learn more about her, seeing as the first time i became interested in her was when she died and I was young and never really knew much despite I did get a book on her from my mom. So I would like to know the best book to buy is it the Andrew Morton book because I was wanting to get that one.

Also: when she died the book my mom got I believe had the picture of her in the little black dress (the one she wore the day of the Charles interview). And I was trying to find it again but I don't remember the title nor can I find a book with that cover. I think it was the Andrew Morton book but I dont' know. I do know it had some pictures in it and I think the lettering of the title was dark blue. Anyone have any idea.

unfortunately, ladydiana, they all pretty much say the same thing (i.e. just rehashing what we've already read) but i'd have to pick the diana chronicles. IMO, it was fairly balanced. she favored neither diana nor charles over one another.

I had that book actually at one time but I think I sold it to a bookstore when I got rid of alot of my books.

I posted this elsewhere I am want a good biography on Diana, and was wanting to get either Diana her true story or the Sarah Bradford book. Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Between those too I would choose the Sarah Bradford bok.

Sarah Bradford's biography about Diana is a very good read and probably as balanced an account of her life as is available.

The Morton Book, if you mean "Her True Story" is good if you want a picture of how Diana was feeling about her life at the time that the book was written. The unfortunate thing was that Diana cooperated with the author at a time when she was very "down", and so everything having to do with her life--with the exception of her boys--is very dark. I think that Diana was feeling very much like a victim in those days, and I don't think that the book does justice to her strengths or is the way that she'd have liked to be remembered.

I would like to learn more about her, seeing as the first time i became interested in her was when she died and I was young and never really knew much despite I did get a book on her from my mom.

I ordered Diana: Her True Story, and I think later I will get the Sarah Bradford one, I noticed she wrote America's Queen on Jackie Kennedy at one time I never finished it but what I read I enjoyed.

Fiction books?

Hi! I'm not sure if there's already a thread for this, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good fiction books about Princess Diana. I've read "The Little White Car" (after a friend's suggestion) but it didn't have enough substance for my liking. Are there any books that are more factual?

modify_inline.gif

Diana: The Portrait
What event was the photo on Page 211 taken at? What date?

The Daily Telegraph Diana Rememberd 1961-1997
Page 56-Diana in deep pink suit with white shoes( the far left pic)
What event was that taken at? What date?

Diana, The People's Princess- Her Life and Legacy
Page 145. 2nd pic, what specific event was that photo taken at? What date?

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana books

I have looked and do not see a thread that engages this aspect of the Royals - and I haven't been sure where to put this thread. So....

My particular interest is in Charles and Diana - and Camilla, etc. Really everyone. I am interested in having opinions on books and recommendations, warnings off, etc. I have done very little actual reading - except for the Morton Book which I think I may have read totally but am not sure.

I have a sense that there are many people here who have a sure sense/opinion on which books are worth buying, which are bogus, which are a must-read, which are close to being fictional, which are dead-on accurate/factual, etc.

What I was hoping is that this would be a thread for reviews on various books that concern the Royals - understanding that my interest tends to be in a certain direction. I'm really interested in honest conversation about various resources.

What follows is just a random list I got from an Amazon search - any titles I don't have here, that you feel are particularly relevant or interesting or informative, please list and review and evaluate. Many thanks. :flowers:

For example, Charles' Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World by Charles HRH The Prince Of Wales - reviews of this would be great.

But also (of course) - regarding Charles - The Palace Diaries: The True Story of Life at the Palace by Prince Charles Secretary by Sarah Goodall and Nicholas Monson (Sep 1, 2008)

Charles: Victim or Villain? - Penny Junor

Royal Service: My Twelve Years As Valet to Prince Charles by Stephen P. Barry (Nov 1986)

Prince Charles: The Sustainable Prince by Joan M. Veon (Dec 1, 1997)

Charles & Camilla: Portrait of a Love Affair by Gyles Daubeney Brandreth (Oct 23, 2007)

Camilla and Charles: The Love Story by Caroline Graham (Mar 1, 2005)

The Windsor Knot: Charles, Camilla and the Legacy of Diana by Christopher Wilson (Oct 1, 2003)

A Greater Love: Charles and Camilla - The Inside Story of Their Twenty-three-year Relationship by Christopher Wilson (Apr 6, 1995)

And Diana - Diana: Her True Story in Her Own Words by Andrew Morton (Oct 1, 1998)

The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown (May 20, 2008)

Diana, Self-Interest, and British National Identity - John A. Taylor

The Housekeeper's Diary: Charles and Diana Before the Breakup -
Wendy Berry

The Real Diana - Lady Colin Campbell

Diana: In Search of Herself by Sally Bedell Smith

The books by Hewitt - Princess in Love - Anna Pasternak

I read that Piers Morgan wrote a book on Diana - but it doesn't come up - anybody know what that person may have been referring to?

Diana in Search of Herself: Portrait of a Troubled Princess

This is a review i came across on Amazon. What this person is saying highly resonates with me. They are from Los Angeles and are speaking from experience. I find the text powerful - wonder what others think of this book. Negatives are important to hear.....

This Look Behind the Smile Reveals A Sad, Damaged Princess
This review is of the book: Diana in Search of Herself: Portrait of a Troubled Princess

I have just finished "Diana In Search of Herself" and suspect Sally Bedell Smith will catch all sorts of hell for it. I also think the story is largely true and this made it sadder still. I am a huge fan of Diana but always suspected her amazing face hid a lot of misery.

Smith's work is thorough and delivered with great effect and authority. I don't think I seriously considered how much pain there could have been - one gets side tracked by the beauty, the clothes and all the other trappings of her life. When she died, I did realize her walk down the aisle of St. Paul's in 1981 was the first choreographed step into a hall of mirrors from which she would never escape. This book takes us into that hall and it's not a pleasant place to be.

I saw myself at a younger age, repeatedly - grateful that I managed to live past 36 because I didn't get it right until about I was about 42. I think many women will identify even more strongly with Diana after reading this book. Baby boomer women born through the early 60's grew up in confusing times. Learning from Smith's book how deeply her pain, confusion and recognizable symptoms were, I can't imagine she could smile at all let alone on cue. It hurts to realize the avenues of treatment were all but forbidden to her - in fact or in her own fear of retribution.

There was a moment - after she died -when people were angry because they felt she had lost her chance at a happy future but this book makes that wishful thinking very unlikely. It is hard to accept but quite believable, that as her nest grew emptier and her choices in men grew worse she would have spun out of control sooner than later. Perhaps that trip through the tunnel was an awful fulfillment of the magic thinking, omens and portents Smith mentions Diana believing.

It was a sad and disturbing book - I imagine the author must have felt this as she became more embroiled in it. It has definitely changed some of my perceptions about Diana - although nothing can change how lovely she was for all those years. I am surprised she didn't drink like a fish or throw public fits.

The desire for constant approval and attention is exhausting and consuming. There is never enough until one can learn to be alone happily. I can empathize tremendously. Many of us who have gotten better in some way or another can pinpoint what stopped or helped us; I have a strong streak of pragmatism that she lacked. I don't, however, believe Diana would have had a miraculous epiphany and that is sadder still - she couldn't or wouldn't see deeply enough and no one would tell her nor would she have listened if they had. The real pity is that when one friend was honest, she dropped them and there were always others ready to jump into the space they left.

I can't say I enjoyed the book - but I don't think it was one meant to be enjoyed - it was well written and hard to put down - and the research was excellent. I think Smith did a hard job well and I think anyone who admired or loved the Princess of Wales at all should read it. Die hard Diana protectors and fans will surely hurl bricks at the author for what they may see as the maligning of their Princess. I don't think this part of the truth diminishes her at all.

I think enough people - the media in particular and her friends and family, grew rich and smug on her misery to be called more than just enablers - the book names names and we all come away knowing that she was encouraged in her behavior by anyone who wanted a photo, a story or a little of the glow that spilled onto them from her presence. She may have been her own worst enemy but no one who claimed to care for her did much to change this. Shame on them.

More than anything, I wish none of it were true. I know otherwise though because I have been there with many of my generation. It isn't pretty no matter how pretty you are. What is even less pretty is that rarely are borderlines or near borderlines fortunate enough to fall off the edge to safety - I was very lucky. I am so sorry she wasn't.

I urge people to read this insightful book about this misunderstood and lonely Princess and I hope they will see past what they may feel are perceived slights to Diana. What they will realize is that she was more like many of us than we ever imagined. It is a shame no one was able to really touch her and guide her back to a safe, happy place where she could enjoy herself as much as we all enjoyed her.

I recommend 'Diana, In Search of Herself'' highly - for the important truths we need to know to better understand both the life and death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Just jumping in here, I joined the forum to discuss this book. I consider it the authoritative book on Diana.
I do agree with the author's suggestion that Diana probably suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder.
I find the Panorama interview, where she questions Charles' fitness to be king, absolutely abhorrent; as well as the other disparaging statements Diana made about him, being that she had children with him.

She wanted out, but she didn't want to be blamed.

We Americans do not understand the monarchy and the fact that it is, basically, a life of duty and service. You will find very few pro-Charles supporters in the US, because of Diana's statements about him, most of which are appalling and not even truthful.

Personally, I know all I need to know of the late Diana --- may she rest in peace. No more Diana books for me.

Now I admit: I love reading books that celebrate Diana, and reading books written by people who knew her honoring her life, and recording history.
But books trying to rehash the events of that night, and trying to make what was a tragic accident into a conspiracy theory need to stop. Will they ever? Why not? They need to. Diana needs to rest in peace. William and Harry need/deserve peace.
As for Dodi's father:
I am deeply sorry for his loss. Cannot imagine the pain. But I wish he could move on, and that in no way means forgetting his son, or not feeling sad at his loss.

Someone who works for Homeland Security here in the U.S. and whom I know fairly well, holds some conspiracy theories regarding Diana's death. He is a very high official, but can definitely convey his views in a few terse words. Those of us who are interested in government abuses are always curious about the work of the CIA, M6 and other groups. I know several political scientists who also find reason to question how intelligence agencies work - perhaps not in Diana's specific case, but in general. The many, many loose ends of her story make for this kind of mystery.

And as a Francophile, I find it hard simply to blame French law enforcement, which is implicit in all the "it was just an accident, she died after nearly two hours of trying to get her to a hospital" theory.

And, as someone who has lost a young loved one in an tragic, unexpected automobile accident, "resting in peace" means "finding the truth," to me - I don't know how anyone would know how the family members in this case feel.

Don't like the books? Ignore them.

I have no questions about what happened after they left the hotel at all - simple accident leading to deaths - no conspiracies at that end.

My questions still relate to why they took the decisions to leave via the backdoor, or even leave at all rather than simply wave at the paparazzi at the frontdoor.

The theory of Diana's blood samples being switched has never been brought up before but from what I have heard/read his books seem to be a rehash of what was discussed in the inquest. Though I am slowly being tempted to order the pdf file of his books just to see what the big fuss is about. Though I promised myself I'd never buy a book that encourages the conspiracy theories. Has anyone who has seriously researched the inquest read this author's books? Are they reliable or is it just a rehash as it seems to me.

I'd LOVE to know HOW in the world he got these so called "withheld" documents. Who gave them to him. But I'd like to say one thing Diana's blood was tested twice I beleive. Once was post mortem and one was from the dry blood found on the carpet of the car years later. Why oh why do I remember them saying they made sure the blood was Diana's and not Dodi's through DNA testing maybe I'm wrong though. I think that one was detailed in the inquiry but not so much in the Inquest.

Ew that felt horrible saying all that dunno why but I still feel like she's alive cause we hear ALOT about her in the tabloids and such so to associate Diana and post mortem together sound odd and wrong to me.

Last edited:
Ew that felt horrible saying all that dunno why but I still feel like she's alive cause we hear ALOT about her in the tabloids and such so to associate Diana and post mortem together sound odd and wrong to me.

I know. This is the first time to my recollection that somone suggested Diana's blood samples were switched. I will wait to read the reviews of this new book.

The question of the blood samples was dealt with during the inquest. This is old news. Or am I thinking of Henri Paul's blood samples?

I know. This is the first time to my recollection that somone suggested Diana's blood samples were switched. I will wait to read the reviews of this new book.

Last edited:
If Diana, Princess of Wales' blood sample was switched could she have been pregnant?

Back
Top Bottom