The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

Jayne Finchner's books are always a good bet--filled with great photos and amusing anecdotes.

Frankly, I thought the "Closely Guarded Secret" book disappointing. And anything with James Hewitt's name on it is just bad news.

A recent read is the third book by Lady Colin Campbell. IMO, it is nothing but a rehash of past books and accounts portrayed in other books. I tried to read it and was bored. Simmone Simon's book is also garbage. She put in it much of what she'd written in her first book and much of it is speculation as she comments on things as if she were still speaking with the Princess, and therefore, "in the know," when it is clear Diana had crossed her off her list before the events Simmone claims to know all about.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Gentry

Yes, several Tim Graham's, one even autographed by him! The Trevor Hall/David Levenson books are also a "good bet". I prefer the coffee table - picture books. You can draw your own conclusion as to the type of person Diana was. While I own quite a few of the biography type books, I tend to take them with a grain of salt. After all, you're getting someone else's perspective and they will always slant the story in such a way as to make themselves look better.

I actually have emailed David Levenson thru his website www.davidlevenson.com, he is a very nice man. I asked him if he had considered putting out a book of his photos on Diana, at that time he said he had no plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mother
Sammy, I am an avid Royal book collector too. Some of my absolute favorites are Tim Graham's. He has put out a lot of books, and he used to put our one every year. I was just wondering if by chance you have any of his, they are really a joy.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Serene Highness

I love Tim Graham's books, too! And I agree; my favorite Diana books are the larger coffee table size with loads of photos and a few comments. And, yes, I too have bought quite a few accounts of Diana by a multitude of authors but one does have to take them with a bit of salt--and, of late, most are just rehashes of previous tomes. That's really neat you received a response from David Levenson; I'm a fan of his, as well!:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Yes, several Tim Graham's, one even autographed by him! The Trevor Hall/David Levenson books are also a "good bet". I prefer the coffee table - picture books. You can draw your own conclusion as to the type of person Diana was. While I own quite a few of the biography type books, I tend to take them with a grain of salt. After all, you're getting someone else's perspective and they will always slant the story in such a way as to make themselves look better.

I actually have emailed David Levenson thru his website www.davidlevenson.com, he is a very nice man. I asked him if he had considered putting out a book of his photos on Diana, at that time he said he had no plans.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't like things by Lady Colin Campbell or Kitty Kelley (get the National Inquirer rather than waste your money on Kitty Kelley!). And Penny Junor is so partisan.

I enjoy the picture books too, especially Tim Graham and Jayne Fincher. The biographical books have left me rather puzzled. Who was the true Diana? I don't know, but maybe we're all like that, having good and bad sides, and how we are portrayed depends on the person doing the writing.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Administrator

I enjoy the Diana picture books (especially Diana: Portaits) and the memorial books after her death.

Truthfully, I don't read the recent books (and articles) of her...I find that everyone (in my opinion) has an angle..and with all the info (good and bad) that is out there.....its hard to define who the real Diana was. Either she was the most manipulative woman since Catherine De Medici or a victim led to the slaughter.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Gentry

MaryShawn,
I was stunned that it came from him and not an assistant! I also have emailed Tim Graham, his wife Eileen answered, and Susan Maxwell-Skinner who is Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I love Tim Graham's books, too! And I agree; my favorite Diana books are the larger coffee table size with loads of photos and a few comments. And, yes, I too have bought quite a few accounts of Diana by a multitude of authors but one does have to take them with a bit of salt--and, of late, most are just rehashes of previous tomes. That's really neat you received a response from David Levenson; I'm a fan of his, as well!:)
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 PM

have anyone out there got a copy of the book entitled: Dicing with Di?" It is very rare. It conatins a lot of unseen photo sof teh late princess.It would be graet if the photos from the book can be shared and viewed here by all.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:43 AM

Hi! has anyone out there got a copy of the book entitled: Dicing with Di?" It is very rare. It conatins a lot of unseen photos of the late princess.It would be great if the photos from the book can be shared and viewed here by all.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

I heard you may find that book on amazon.com because they usually have a wide selection of books or try ebay?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Aristocracy

Some of my favourite books about Diana are:
1)Diana: Her True Story In Her Own Words by Andrew Morton
2)Diana: In Pursuit of Love by Andrew Morton
3)A Royal Duty by Paul Burrell
4)Diana: The Portrait by Rosalind Coward
5)William and Harry by Ingrid Seward
6)Diana: Death of a Goddess by David Cohen
7)Diana Princess of Wales Kensingotn Palace MarioTestino
Old 07-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Aristocracy

I do wish the book that ends all the "tell all" books would come out. I heard that "Diana: The Last Word" by Simone Simmons was supposed to be the "last" one. I do agree with a lot of you that this rumour about James Hewitt being Harry's father should stop. Red hair is a Spencer trait and I also heard thatHarry William and Charles have a common trait their fingers. They all ahve "sausage fingers." Harry looks a lot like Diana's brother Charles and I just wish that Harry could be given a rest from this.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Serene Highness

Harry has same eye expressions as Charles, they also have the exact same smirky smile. Don't think for a minute that DNA testing is not done on children that close to the throne these days. I don't think Charles would be so publicly adoring to Harry if he wasn't his.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

And now another book, this one with photos.....utterly tasteless IMHO.

Italian magazine publishes 'last Diana photo'
13/07/2006 - 14:14:41

The “last photo” of Diana, Princess of Wales, taken moments after the car crash which killed her was published today in an Italian magazine.

It shows the Princess being given oxygen in the Mercedes at the crash site in Paris.

The black and white picture appeared in Chi magazine, accompanying an article about a new book by French crime writer Jean-Michel Caradec’h.

Caradec’h examines the Princess’s tragic death in 1997 in his work Lady Diana: The Criminal Investigation.

The book, which is due out this month, will include photos of Diana taken shortly after the accident.

The image appeared in Chi under the headline: “World Exclusive: The Last Photo”.

The article also included autopsy diagrams charting the injuries the Princess suffered.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
does anyone have a good bio on Diana?
Maybe we all can come up with our own Bio of her, after all most bios are based in second hand tales, stories and legends of people long gone. The Royal Forum is a good place to gather bits and pieces of these interesting group of people and form an opinion about them, even when we might never meet them. We are all intrigued by them, by their relations and most of all, by their connection to our own history. So, here is my post # 1000, an attempt to do a very small bio on Diana Princess of Wales. I guess, she was my favorite celebrity after all, so my very short bio on her might have the tone of an obituary bio. Please allow me because maybe many other people here could relate to what she meant as a person and a public figure. So, here it goes...

I remember the night she died. Like so many people around the globe I was glued to the TV waiting for hours on the news. And past midnight in the USA we got the somber report she was gone. I only read bit and pieces about her life in the magazines but the week before her funeral we got to know the person behind the title.
I remember the Royal Family on TV, getting out to meet the people in a sea of flowers outside a palace, and the grief on their faces like if they all lost a dear member of their own family.
I remember thinking how these strangers, were so kind to her memory, showing more grief than her own family, and thinking how it is possible that one person could move so many people as if they were her own flesh and blood?
I remember I set the VCR the night before to record the Funeral Ceremony that was broadcast live in the early morning hours. One of those 8 hour tapes. I let it run and started watching it later in the day and it was like being there with her, and with the millions of people that attended the funeral thanks to the TV broadcast. And I was very sad, like she had in her life some goal we could all relate to, a quest to find meaning to her life. And her death put a stop to it, to her quest.

We just wanted a happy ending to a fairy tale story and forgot that life happens to people. Jonh Lennon said "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". And when we all saw it happening to her, like tragedies that anyone can relate to, it was too much pain to bear.

Good or bad, saint or sinner, she had it all and we could relate to it ourselves. Maybe that's why so many people mourned her death that week, her well documented life had aspects that any stranger in any country could identify with.

Maybe the above was not a bio but just a passing comment, and now that I got that off my chest, time for me to move on too and continue posting,
Old 07-27-2006, 05:06 AM
Commoner

New book about her weddingdress

I ordered this new book about the making of Diana's weddingdress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11470939.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	257023   Click image for larger version

Name:	11473990.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	257024  
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjamdevriend
I ordered this new book about the making of Diana's weddingdress.
Where did you ordered this book?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 AM
Commoner

New book about her weddingdress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atene
Where did you ordered this book?
I ordered it in an English bookshop in The Hague, but you can also order it here: http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com...sbn=006121437X
Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Gentry

I just received mine. Got it from Amazon.com. Nice book, similiar to the book by Catherine Walker. I was disappointed that there weren't any new pictures of Diana.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

Another One Cashing In On Diana

i think this is truly sad.

Elizabeth Emanuel Home

{go to the A Dress For Diana link at the above website; the original link posted by Duchess doesn't work any more - Elspeth}

Another one cashing in on the Princess.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Commoner

I dont know if this is the right place for this post, but I figure as part of her life etc... anyway I was wondering if there was the kind of digging (research) done into Diana's relationships before her engagement to Charles? I was just thinking along the lines that one of Kate Middleton's ex-boyfriends has been chased down and named