The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
It felt a bit superfluous to me, the constant pointing out they did with the age difference between them, but I think that's probably something that is different in live conversation than it comes out on page.

All in all, I do think it could have been edited more, and for some it may not be asking critical enough questions (or receiving answers to the ones that are asked, such as if there has been trouble in the marriages...) But it was a fun read, and so much better getting the tales from the 1st hand source, so to speak.
Jon Bloch Skipper is a historian and knows his royalty stuff. He is
also a good writer as he proved in his book on King Frederik.

This time -as an interviewer - he is a tad too deferential for my taste,
but that is probably how it works! The sisters are side-stepping
anything remotely controversial, like for instance the relationship
with other RFs. There isn't much to add to Norwegianne's post;
the constant mentioning of the age difference is tedious and so
is the recurring talk about their coloured wolly cardigans for school!

IMO the author has been careful to record and take down the
interaction and dynamics between the sisters. Another interesting
point is how esp. HM tells about her childhood aversion to any "fairy-
tale princessy stuff", and how their titles were perceived as a
natural part of their name (at school and other childhood venues).
It really shows that the sisters were very much aware of their station!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

New Book about Danish Royal Tæt på kongefamilien 2008 - køb bogen hos SAXO.com

Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

sorry, what is the name of the book that recently came out talking not so nice about the family?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

I don't know if this is the one you're talking about ashelen, "1015 København K" - Trine Villemann, but it is one of the recent books which has come out about the DRF. There are also the yearly Kongehuset books (in Danish), as well as the Billed Bladet 'Guld-Nummer' yearbooks too.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
I don't know if this is the one you're talking about ashelen, "1015 København K" - Trine Villemann, but it is one of the recent books which has come out about the DRF. There are also the yearly Kongehuset books (in Danish), as well as the Billed Bladet 'Guld-Nummer' yearbooks too.
yes thank you
Old 11-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know if any books have been written or are in the process of being written about Princess Marie? I have tried searching on Amazon, but have not been able to find anything.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

There is only one book at this time by John Lindskog entitled Marie Cavallier published several months ago. It's in Danish.

Discussion about the book is located here
Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Commoner

Are there any books out there in English that cover Christian IX and his descendants? I have "A Royal Family" on DVD, and I was just wondering if there was a book that the series was based on or that accompanied the series?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Administrator

The "A Royal Family" book is discussed in this thread.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Denmark: "Royal Travels – Behind the Scenes with the Monarchy" 2009

Billedbladet.dk has a report about Queen Margrethe and a possible abdiction. It says that there are no plans for an abdiction.

Google Übersetzer
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think abdiction really isn't a serious topic in Denmark.

Thanks for the pictures, Iceflower. The Queen looked very lovely.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

The reason behind all the current articles on Margrethe abdicating is a new book which has been published, 'Royal Travels – Behind the Scenes with the Monarchy’. It claims Margrethe will abdicate next April 16th - her 70th birthday.

The last line of the Copenhagen Post article below is "A spokesperson from the Royal Court denied the book's claims, saying neither the Queen nor Prince Henrik has any intention of moving from Denmark." So, I'm gunna believe that. I doubt Margrethe will be wanting to become the first monarch in Danish history to abdicate the throne.

Queen could abdicate next year
http://politiken.dk/newsinenglish/article812884.ece
Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

BB has an article with a title of

Court: the queen is on the throne
The article does confirm that P.Henrik will spend more time on his wine farm in France but it says that it doesnt mean that the queen will be with him
Article in english
Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

*Queen Margrethe will not abdicate, says Danish palace |Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Aristocracy

There just doesn't not seem to be a shred of truth to this. While it is interesting to talk about, it just doesn't seem that she believes in the concept of abdication. If that is true, then various life circumstances just don't matter - you are Queen for life. I don't see it happening.

Book claims Danish Queen to abdicate
Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Jyllandsposten's readers were surveyed about their attitudes toward whether or not it would be okay for Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik to retire:
jp.dk - Læserne: Lad regentparret rejse

According to the article, many readers thought that it would be perfectly fine if the monarch decided to retire. They said that even though it was a Danish tradition for the monarch to rule for life, they felt that the Dutch tradition of retirement was a good option. They stated that the Queen and Prince Henrik have done a great job, but that they deserve to have a relaxing retirement where they can travel and simply enjoy life.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

I don't disagree that they should be able to do that if they want. I just think that there is no way that the Queen will do it. Unless there is some illness with Prince Henrik that we don't know about. I just see that she views her birthright as 'for life' that it isn't something you have the right to give up.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Nobility

Buchwaldt/Rosvall - "Ingrid 1910-2000"

"A new Royal album from Rosvall Royal Books. Denmark's beloved Queen Ingrid would have celebrated het 100th birthday on March 28th 2010. A Princess of Sweden by birth and a descendant of Queen Victoria, she married the future King Frederik IX in 1953. This album has been put together with the help of her daughters, Queen Margarethe II and Princess Benedicte of Denmark with uniqie illustrations from their private albums. 96 pages, large format, 160 illustrations, in English and Danish".

http://www.hoogstraten.nl/theshop/product_info.php?products_id=426&osCsid=a5bd19bf6a901cd0d5d07c27f4060981

http://trondni.blogspot.com/2010/01/book-news-some-expected-books-in-2010.html
Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Nobility

New book about prince Henrik:
Enegænger - portræt af en prins,
By Stephanie Surrugue
Editorial Saxo
Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Henrik: A Portrait of a Loner - A biography.

A new and I believe interesting and illuminating biography of Prince Henrik is published today.
The book is written by Stephanie Surrugue, and is in the form of an interview and account from mainly Prince Henrik himself, but also those close to him.
The papers have for the past week written about the book and here is Billed Bladet's coverage.

Excerpts from two articles in Billed Bladet #35, 2010.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Both articles are about the contributions by Queen Margrethe and Frederik in the new book.

QMII tells about how they met.
That happened in 1965 at a dinner party in London. Here the 25 year old Margrethe met the dashing 32 years old Henri, who was a sought after bachelor.
They were seated at the same table but he didn't impress Princes Margrethe that much.

Then they met a year later, in April 1966 and here Henri invited Margrethe out to dinner and in the words of QMII: "Suddenly the house caught fire, as far as I was concerned".
Henri courted Margrethe to the best of his abillities and said: "I must meet you again".
QMII says: "That evening I realised that I was madly in love with him. - He invited me for luncg. I had never before had lunch with anyone in that way - I was out alone with a man! And yes, this was the first date of my life. I remember that He picked me up in his open green sportscar...
I couldn't eat lunch at all, I was completely beside myself, I'd never experienced anything like it....".

She admits freely that she was a very inexperienced young woman: "Even though I was 26 at the time, I was still a so much a yearling in many ways. Both in regards to those of my age, but certainly also in regards to young girls today. But he had humour and he was sweet and he looked quite gorgeous and that din't harm either".

She also says: "I must now confess that I have never understood, how I could appeal to him - that is in comparison to what he was so much used to".

It was with anger in his eyes and voice that Frederik contributed to the book and he said among many things this about his father:

"He has really been buillied. Public bullying is one of the worst things that can happen..... I didn't think much about it when I was small. In later years I think it was very unfair. You cannot do anything else sometimes but to apologize for the Danish ignorance. It's a pity for him and embarassing for Denmark".

It was very much Prince Henrik who was in charge of the upbringing after Margrethe became Queen: "Thanks to my father, I've learned not to be dazzled by the trends and attitudes we generally have in Northern Europe - what my father will call the Anglo-Saxon world. He encouraged us to dare stand apart".

Prince Henrik demanded his sons should learn French to perfection: "I may not have said that in public before, but it's no secret that the older I get the more concious I am that half of me is French. If I should put a figure on that, I'd say I'm 75 % Danish and 25 % French. But these 25 % turn into 75 % when I'm in France or French speaking parts of the world....".

"When I look back on the childhood it hasn't just been really good but also funny and full of imagination - my father is fantastic at telling stories and used his wild imagination on his two boys as well".

At the silveranniversary in 1992 frederik said the famous words: "Papa, they say that you chastise the one you love. We never doubted your love".

To that he sighs: "Yes, really... I must say that I was hugely surprised how much attention a single passage got. You chastise the one you love is a common form of speech. I had written the speech with Joachim - certainly not to expose our father. He had already been exposed to what was almost a regime of terror by the media".

ADDED:

More about the book based on various newspaper articles:

From the excerpts I've seen in the papers we get a portriat of a man who, even for his age and time he was born, is pretty conservative and probably oldfashioned as well. He is certainly a product of his background and culture! He clearly percieves himself as the patriarch of the family in the traditional interpretation of the word.
Like most people, he is a multi-facetted man.

Some of the topics have been about:
His failure to be fully accepted by the Danish tribe. Language is so important!
I know he has an excellent understanding of the subleties of Danish. You would not be able to appreciate entertainers like Ørkenens Sønner = Sons of the Desert, without fully comprehending the nuances of Danish culture and language.
His spoken Danish is lousy. - And he has recieved a lot of heat because of that. Mostly in the 70's and early 80's I'd say where immigrants were not that common in DK. That he has a heavy accent is one thing, that would be considered charming if it wasn't because his mastery of Danish grammar is poor, when he talks. After 40 years in DK he should have weeded out all but the odd mistake and slip of the tounge that natives also make. Especially as he is supposed to be good at languages.
He probably is, as long as he doesn't have to speak.
Both Mary and our Marie have overtaken him in that respect, which again is used against him.

He is fully aware of some of the nasty rumours there are about him. I've never seen them here or in other boards however. That he also should be a wife-beater is however completely new to me!
Of course such rumours have hurt him.

He told with some pride about the (first?) time he bought a prostitute in Vietnam as a very young man, probably a teenager.
Mind you at the time it would have been seen as a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Chasing the young daughters of other French families was not just something you did. It could also be time consuming and unfortunate. - So a prostitute was a quick and simple option.

It's hardly a secret that he has a firm view on upbringing, something Frederik has commented on. And you may remember him saying to Felix: "You do not speak to grandpapa with chewing gum in your mouth"!
He openly favour spanking children if need be.

And like so many fathers he delighted in telling ghost stories and frightning his sons. In one case about a red-eyed ghost lurking under the stairs at Marselisborg Slot.

Frederik has contributed to the book as well and you are in no doubt that he feel hurt and angry when his father is getting some heat. Very understandable, it would be a sorry son, who didn't.

Tags
jon bloch skipper, princess benedikte, queen anne marie, queen margrethe