The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2011, 01:22 AM

Agreed. Though I overall enjoyed Shawcross' work on The QM, I felt that the book was a fact machine. Fact, after fact, after fact. Wasn't transported into QM's mind as I wanted to be, but still, accuracy is enough to seal the deal for me.

The reason why I'm seeking these "official" biographies is solely for accuracy. I think I already own enough Andrew Morton, Sarah Bradford, etc. - type biographies.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 AM

So, with a little more research and a quick tip from Aliza, I was able to compile a list of all the official bio's I've found so far:

Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother: The Official Biography
by William Shawcross
King George VI: His Life and Reign
by John Wheeler-Bennett
King Edward VIII
by Philip Ziegler
The Life of His Royal Highness The Prince Concort (in 5 volumes)
by Theodore Martin
King George V, His Life and Reign
by Harold Nicolson
Queen Mary, 1867-1953
by James Pope-Hennessey

Now looking for Victoria, Edward VII, Alexandra (his wife) and Margaret (though probably a long-shot, since I haven't heard a word about the production of an official biography on her since she died), Wallis (another long-shot) and maybe even others that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Aristocracy

Just off the top of my head, the bio of Queen Alexandra is by Georgina Battiscombe. There is no official bio of Victoria, I'd recommend two: Victoria RI by Elizabeth Longford and the latest and most complete: Queen Victoria by Walter L. Arnstein. The official biography of Edward VII is by Sidney Lee but leaves much out; I'd recommend King Edward the Seventh by Philip Magnus. Diana Mosley wrote the best, IMHO, biography of Wallis Windsor, you're correct, there has been no official bio commissioned (yet?). I am also hunting about Princess Margaret; please let me know if you discover anything and I'll do the same if I find an official or at least an approved biography of the Princess. Right now the best I can offer is Theo Aronson's work, "Princess Margaret: A Biography". Hope this helps!

Other serious biographies worth checking out are Kenneth Rose's "George V", Sarah Bradford, "George VI" and the Michael Bloch edited letters between Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII - I'll check for the exact title. Happy reading!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Bertie if you can't recognize why Kitty didn't want to go through the hassle of publishing her book in a country that has happily built up walls of lies to protect the BRF then I am not going to try and convince you.
If you can't see that a publishing decision to not produce a book for a particular market because of the libel laws that apply in that market is an admission by the author and publisher as being libelous - that is wrong - then I won't convince you.

Quote:
Seeing as how much of what Kitty wrote has been written by other biographers writing about the family I am much more inclined to believe she was at least on the right path. Never said I believed everything she said, mostly the things she says that 3 or 4 other writers have also said probably rings of some truth.
She had some provable facts right of course but it was the hearsay stuff, and there is heaps of that, that has always been the stuff that is questionable - as any decent historian will be able to tell you.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well then clearly we do not have a problem because as I have said numerous times on here I DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT SHE WRITES!
I just finished the book and IMO, the things She says about the early years George V to Elizabeth II has the most truth to it. And I stand by my criticism of George for his Germaphobia. I've also read othe sources that mention similar things that Kitty mentions about Princess Margaret. It is late in the book ESPECIALLY with Fergie hearsay and the Charles and Di separation that things get more "gossipy", less credible and downright National Enquirer. But one thing from that period I've got to look into is the supposed records of Diana's phone calls to the Hoare's.
For now it is time to read "George, Nicholas, and Wilhelm".
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have the mixed impression about Kitty Kelly's book.The first part of the book(before the young Windsor generation) is written in better literary style,it seems more documented,while the other part is more bassed on gossip papers.
But generally I like the reading and I do think on the surface the facts presented in it are true.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I've got to look into is the supposed records of Diana's phone calls to the Hoare's.
That actually did happen.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
That actually did happen.
Unfortunately, when it is written in a book by Kitty Kelly people find it hard to believe. Kitty Kelly is such a sleazy liar and writes such trash that some of her books now have disclaimers and refer to them as as works of fiction.

Even the truth coming out of her mouth has become impossible to believe.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lenora, that's what I think as well. Early 19th century was probably true, I don't know why her writing style changed with the younger generation, especially when Diana showed up.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Because writing anything remotely connected with Diana is a goldmine of course!!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Lenora, that's what I think as well. Early 19th century was probably true, I don't know why her writing style changed with the younger generation, especially when Diana showed up.
Well, it's because it got that much more scandal ridden and the tabloids ended up being correct in many things. It was all drama with Diana and Fergie and the scandals sold copies in the millions.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

Can anyone suggest a good royal read of the BRF one that is interesting, enough to underline information?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Books on Princesss Margaret

Hi all,

Can you suggest some books on Princess Margaret? It's so hard finding anything on her it seems.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

The Queen Mother by Hugo Vickers

This book certainly has quite an extensive history of the Queen mother and her family leading up to the marriage of the future king George vi and the births of the future queen Elizabeth II and princess margaret. It's a big book and I'm only half way done.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Has anyone read The Memoirs of Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester (1981)?
I've just bought it and was wondering if anyone had any pre-read views?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I read it quite a while ago, perhaps in the early 90s. I did find it an interesting read. One thing I do remember is about her father telling her that if she married Prince Henry, she would be a servant to her country for her whole life.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Administrator

It's certainly worth a read, Surprisingly, Lady Alice was quite the adventurer in her twenties, and a very good artist.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks folks! Can't wait for it to arrive.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Administrator

[Gloucester] "The Forgotten Prince William" by Parker Healy (2012)

'The Forgotten Prince William: The House of Windsor's First Modern Prince'
by Parker Healy

Kindle edition
BN ID: 2940014479769
ASIN: B007ZHZW9A
Publisher: Parker Healy
Published: 1 May 2012
67 pages
Facebook: facebook.com/forgottenprincewilliam.
Twitter: twitter.com/forgottenroyals.

Blurb

Queen Elizabeth's Cousin and Royal Rebel Lived in America, studied at Stanford University, died at 30

A new e-book has been published detailing a British prince's coming of age. The Forgotten Prince William: The House of Windsor's First Modern Prince, introduces a new generation to Prince William of Gloucester, the largely unknown cousin of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles who died tragically at just thirty-years-old ten years before his cousin and namesake, today's Prince William, was born.

Born during the darkest days of the Second World War, Prince William was expected to live a life ruled by tradition but became a royal rebel determined to chart his own course. From becoming the first member of the royal family to attend university as a regular student and pursuing a normal career as a diplomat to dating women who could never become royal brides and escaping injury and death on several occasions during travels around the world, Prince William lived a full, adventurous and modern life that cut a path for future members of the House of Windsor.

While many members of the royal family have visited the United States, Prince William lived in America as a Stanford University graduate student. He traveled across the United States and experienced the reaction to one of the most tragic events in American history.

"Prince William of Gloucester is one of the most interesting, and unknown, members of the British royal family", said author Parker Healy. "He lived life on the edge, cared for his family and friends deeply, and pushed himself to experience the world beyond the palace gates."

Carefully researched and documented, and containing photographs of Prince William throughout his life, The Forgotten Prince William blows the cobwebs off of a long overlooked chapter in the history of the House of Windsor.

Amazon & Barnes & Noble
Britain's Prince William of Gloucester was born during the darkest days of the Second World War and died ten years before his cousin, today's well-known Prince William, was born. A young page in Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip’s wedding, in thirty short years William became the House of Windsor's first modern prince but has been largely forgotten. He tested the limits of royal convention in work and love by pursuing a career in business and diplomacy and dating women who could never be accepted as a royal bride. William also lived an adventurous life, escaping several near death experiences during travels around the world, witnessing one of the most tragic periods in American history, and becoming a competitive pilot before his life was cut short in a tragic accident.

Based on personal accounts by the family and friends who knew William best, extracts from his own reflections on his life and family, and photographs at different stages of his life, this book provides a unique glimpse into a prince’s coming of age and what growing up in the British royal family is really like.

v cover
reproduced for promotional purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Forgotten Prince William.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	285048  
Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Aristocracy

I didn't about Prince William. I must try to find this book. He seems to have been an intrepid, adventurous character!