"Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch" by T. Sjöberg (2010) & other books of T.S.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whether or not he took their advice though would be another matter.

Please, in almost all of the RFs there are affairs like this. In Belgium, in the Dutch RF, Monaco... They all managa to survive without abdication. CG will also manage the survive.

I agree entirely and I seriously doubt the King will step down in favor of Victoria. I do have a question, is the author entirely credible and is it absolutely certain the allegations are true? At another forum, a Swedish journalist reports and knows the Royals stated the author is just a yellow press journalist and the book is absolute trash. I've read some reviews and it's pretty much trashed. Thanks.:flowers:

Do you have any data to support your statements.
No it is just my personal feeling about this.
I feel sorry for Carl Gustav's family. They maybe knew about the King's affair but it must be so horrible to see the whole world writing and talking about your husband's or father's affairs.

This is worse than affairs IMO. There's talk of organized crime being involved with setting up the sex parties and the intimidation of people who might have evidence of what had happened during parties and so on. This is very murky ground; and if there's hard evidence that the King willingly participated in any sort of illegal activity, he should abdicate.:ermm:

Please, in almost all of the RFs there are affairs like this. In Belgium, in the Dutch RF, Monaco... They all managa to survive without abdication. CG will also manage the survive.

They're talking this way in Sweden, then. Is this talk among people who would support the monarchy otherwise?

I have coworkers that say that to save the monarchy he might have to. There is also the japanese version of saving ones face, seppuku

It obviously all happened (whatever happened at all) at a time when a king could more or less rely on the people involved to be discreet about it. I wonder how many people actually talked to the journalists and how much is just rumour that is now printed. I doubt the king really was a "habitue" when it comes to certain parties - one should not forget that the Scandinavians always had much freer ideas about moral and fun and so it is not even proved that he considered the parties as bad as they are now presented. As for the Mafia-connections: even if they existed, I very much doubt the king was aware of that.

So I only believe a bit of the contents of the book that have been published and I doubt the king was that serious about it. As for queen Silvia: I'm convinced she has known right from the start what kind of man her Carl ist. Remember their first encounter when he looked the beautiful hostess up with a spyglass even though she stood right in front of him? They both laughed about it and it "clicked" but still... shows a bit of the humour of Carl Gustaf when it comes to women and I doubt she minds that much. Only the publicity is very embarrassing for the poor queen -and should not have happened, when you ask me.

Check this out at my citys waitinglist for this book in the librarysystem
OPAC 5.6 I pitty nr 40 who will not get hold of the book from the library until sometime around December 2012

I have coworkers that say that to save the monarchy he might have to. There is also the japanese version of saving ones face, seppuku

You are obviously quite delusional if you think that the King is going to kill himself over this (let alone kill himself in the that gruesome fashion).

Victoria has just married her gym teacher and is in no way ready to take over the throne, so I think you will be waiting for a while.

You are obviously quite delusional if you think that the King is going to kill himself over this (let alone kill himself in the that gruesome fashion).

Victoria has just married her gym teacher and is in no way ready to take over the throne, so I think you will be waiting for a while.
[FONT=&quot]
The narratives in the book are not a direct reason to abdicate. But if this book becomes a sort of Pandora's box or appears to be a tip of the iceberg, especially with regard to connections to mafia and embarrassing cover-ups, this affair might become a political one and subsequently a constitutional crisis. If so, abdication might be the only way to save the Swedish monarchy.

In the Netherlands we had the Lockheed affair; HRH Prince Bernhard accepted bribes from American airplane builders. There were strong voices in society and in parliament demanding the abdication of Queen Juliana because of her husband’s illegal actions. (Prince Bernhard had many affairs and probably also mixed with dubious people, but only his ILLEGAL actions: the taking of bribes, were the reason for the constitutional crisis, not his extramarital affairs, wild parties and children born out of wedlock)

The King will not abdicate because of the accusations of immoral behaviour, but if it becomes a political reality that the King has instigated illegal actions or bears responsibility for them, his position becomes very uncertain.
[/FONT]

There is no constitutional crisis, no maffia connection and there will be no abdication. Sweden has already moved on. There is a lot more attention to this book on this board then in all swedish newspapers combined.

[FONT=&quot]
The narratives in the book are not a direct reason to abdicate. But if this book becomes a sort of Pandora's box or appears to be a tip of the iceberg, especially with regard to connections to mafia and embarrassing cover-ups, this affair might become a political one and subsequently a constitutional crisis. If so, abdication might be the only way to save the Swedish monarchy.

In the Netherlands we had the Lockheed affair; HRH Prince Bernhard accepted bribes from American airplane builders. There were strong voices in society and in parliament demanding the abdication of Queen Juliana because of her husband’s illegal actions. (Prince Bernhard had many affairs and probably also mixed with dubious people, but only his ILLEGAL actions: the taking of bribes, were the reason for the constitutional crisis, not his extramarital affairs, wild parties and children born out of wedlock)

The King will not abdicate because of the accusations of immoral behaviour, but if it becomes a political reality that the King has instigated illegal actions or bears responsibility for them, his position becomes very uncertain.
[/FONT]

There is a HUGE difference between the King abdicating over dubious possibly illegal activities and the King committing suicide over this as advocated by the person I quoted

There is a HUGE difference between the King abdicating over dubious possibly illegal activities and the King committing suicide over this as advocated by the person I quoted

agree, I was responding to the last part of your reply

I can't believe some people think this doesn't matter, or that it should be brushed under the carpet. No point blaming the women, secret service or anyone else either. The King is well able to take care of himself and knew full well what he was doing.

Only the publicity is very embarrassing for the poor queen -and should not have happened, when you ask me.

Why? I feel sorry for the Queen too but it is a bit much to start saying that it shouldn't have been reported. Remember this is the King who it is claimed thought that Daniel was not good enough for Victoria. If these rumours are true then it really isn't the King's place to offer anyone advice about what's good enough. It's like people believe that because he is Royal that he can get away with it. If Daniel did this we would never hear the end of it, especially about how he wasn't good enough for Victoria initially anyway.

This book is being blown out of proportion.

Men cheat for a variety of reasons, but eventually all of them do. Sylvia appears to be ok with the King's extra-martial activities. That's all that matters.

Remember Madeline knew of Jonas's infidelity and still agreed to marry him. She only broke off the engagement when it became a media spectacle.

I am sure Victoria will discreetly look the other way when (and I firmly believe that its a matter of WHEN rather than IF) Daniel strays.

Its seems that the women are ok with their s/o's indiscretions until they become a public spectacle. I think it would be advisable for the public to leave it alone and let it be.

You have a very sad view of love and marriage if you believe it is all just a matter of when a man will cheat. Sexist too as women can be just as bad. I do agree with you though that if the Queen was ok with it then so be it. I don't agree with you that the public should leave it alone. The King is a public figure, and represents Sweden around the world. I think visiting brothels and the like are of interest to the people he represents. It's a bit much to start claiming that it is of no one's interest.

Did anyone ever think of how these stories would affect the King's family before they wrote the book. His wife? his children? Other family members? They are the ones that will be hurt by this the most. As I stated in other blogs, they probably knew bits and pieces about some of these things. If all of these things are true, then they have the full story. Most people would probably not want to know these things about their parents.

Did anyone ever think of how these stories would affect the King's family before they wrote the book. His wife? his children? Other family members? They are the ones that will be hurt by this the most. As I stated in other blogs, they probably knew bits and pieces about some of these things. If all of these things are true, then they have the full story. Most people would probably not want to know these things about their parents.

Well, the argument can be made that the King should have thought about how it would affect his family before he DID the things written about in the book (if he did).

Yes - if the King didn't do any of it, then I think most of us would agree that the book shouldn't have been written. Then it's just a bunch of lies. But if it's true, then the writers and publishers aren't the guilty ones here. They aren't the ones who hurt the family - that was the King himself.

The author didn't think about the family or the book's effect on them because he didn't care as it all comes down to MONEY. The public loves scandal, true or not, and will pay to lap it up and that means MONEY.

Royal smiles are professional actors smiles .. they have happy and sad days like everybody.
The french magazine Point de Vue of last week found a non-smiling picture of the King and the Queen for their front page and inside really nothing interesting .

Last edited:
:eek:

The author of the book was in German TV the day before yesterday. And exactly this question has been asked: While writing the book, didn´t you think about Queen Silvia and how much this would hurt her.... didn´t you think about NOT making it official, what you found out?
Guess, what his answer was? No. I felt sad for Queen Silvia, but in the end I am a journalist and it is important for my job to tell the truth. All those details only were known to a very small group of people and I wanted to tell everybody.

Well, he reached his goal, I would say..... now everybody knows :eek:

BYe Bine

In general I think that people have the right to know what kind of people are representing them. Apart from the cheating what I would consider private the King seems to be involved in dubious circles that do favours to each other what is not correct and is rightly being addressed publicly.

And regarding Queen Silvia - I dont doubt a second that she didnt know the full extent from day one. She will have put up with the King straying etc, I dont think anything in the book came as a surprise to her.

Together with Queen Sofia, Silvia is and has always been one of the "Best Actress" Oscar-winning Queens around.

People who do security for royals or for other VIP's protect that person's interest. They don't protect them against themselves. Perhaps in some cases they should, but they don't. They protect them against those who would harm them or threaten them.

I would imagine that there are cases were the security people don't agree with what they are doing, but unless it's a imminent threat to the person's life or a threat to national security, no security person is going to go to the wife, family, PM or parliment and tell them what's going on. If they did, they might as well kiss their career goodbye and everyone would close rank and they would be left defending themselves.

I think many of the individuals involved in these activities probably figured their stories would never appear in print or in a book. In a different time and era that would be true but isn't true anymore.

I have yet to read the whole thread, but I'm shocked and amused by the large contrast between the reaction between Joanes cheating on Madeleine (while dating) and the king cheating on the queen (while married). It just reeks of a double standard, a boyfriend cheats on princess, the worst thing in the world! But a king cheating? As long as he forgives him not a big deal. And the idea that just because past kings have done it makes it ok to still continue the practice is just beyond stupid. I can understand a married women with children willing to forgive the husband, but that doesn't give the husband a pass.

Well said Lilnana! I haven't commented on this book before, but like you I find the difference in the general reactions to the two cheating men rather strange.

I have yet to read the whole thread, but I'm shocked and amused by the large contrast between the reaction between Joanes cheating on Madeleine (while dating) and the king cheating on the queen (while married). It just reeks of a double standard, a boyfriend cheats on princess, the worst thing in the world! But a king cheating? As long as he forgives him not a big deal. And the idea that just because past kings have done it makes it ok to still continue the practice is just beyond stupid. I can understand a married women with children willing to forgive the husband, but that doesn't give the husband a pass.

This is a very good point, Lilana.

For the record, I don't forgive the King for cheating that is up to the Queen and the people of Sweden. If Madeline had choosen to say with a cheating Jonas (an alleged cheater since no proof has ever been provided) that too, would have been her choice as well. Who am I to tell someone what is and is not acceptable in their relationship? And this train of thought is applicable to friends, families, strangers and royals.

My point for the wronged spouse/significant other of a cheating spouse....if he/she did it once he might do it again...and now you know what you have...you can't say no one ever told you....he/she told you by their actions.

My disgust was the author who feels the need to share details of the Kings marriage and/or affairs. I believe that is a private affair (as it was for Tiger Woods, Sandra Bullock, etc.).

I also don't care for people who have affairs with married people (espeically if you know he is married) and than try to profit off of it. Yes, he is married and he made the vows but why participate in such a lie? What does that say about the both of you? Sleeping with a married person is just a step below of a married person sleeping with someone other than their spouse.

But that is just my personal opinion.

Back
Top Bottom