The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Is this book available in English, fanletizia?

Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Sounds interesting, Fanletizia, thanks for the tip.

Like Elspeth, I wonder if the book is available in English.

Has anyone read the book Juan Carlos: Steering Spain from Dictatorship to Democracy?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Commoner

I read:
  • La Chata: la Infanta Isabel de Borbón y la Corona de España. Rubio, María José, La esfera de los libros, Madrid 2003
  • De Alfonso la dulcísima esposa: María de las Mercedes, la reina enamorada. Queralt, María Pilar. Editorial Lumen. Barcelona 2003
  • La Reina Mercedes. Sagrera, Ana de; La esfera de los Libros
  • Amadeo y María Victoria (I thihnk that it was writed by Ana de Sagrera, Im sorry).
They are very interesting
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

So, did anybody buy/read John van der Kiste's 'A House Divided'? About the Spanish monarchy from Isabel II to Juan-Carlos? I have bought it and started reading the beginning but it seems to be leaning havily on Theo Aronsons 'Royal Vendetta'. And it is a typical van der Kiste: not that much in-depth things and only the basic information. I believe he didn't even leave the library in London for it! Perhaps that is why he has Queen Victoria as one of his main sources in the early part of the book (while there should be -many- more interesting sourceds around).
Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Infantas of Portugal, Queens of Spain

A Esfera dos Livros

Marsilio Cassotti - Infantas de Portugal, Rainhas de Espanha, Lisboa, Esfera dos Livros, 2007.

The book studies the eleven Infantas of Portugal who had been Queens of the Spanish kingdoms, between 1165 and 1816.

Here is an interview with the author, Marsilio Cassotti:
DN Online: "De Portugal, bons casamentos..."

While studying the history of Castile, the author realised that many of the Spanish queens were from Portugal; it was the nationality that reached the throne the most: eleven Portuguese princesses had been queens in the Spanish kingdoms.

We are talking of women like Dona Urraca (daughter of Afonso Henriques, who in spite of the good relationship with her husband, had to get separated, under orders of the Pope), Infanta Maria (who helped her husband to win the battle of Salado), Infanta Beatriz (who was in the origin of the battle of Aljubarrota), infanta Joana (who had to marry a supposedly homosexual prince), two strong characters who shared the same name (Isabel) and were famous for raising their own children (Isabel the Catholic and Felipe II), ending up with Infanta Maria Isabel de Bragança, who ordered the foundation of the Prado Museum and died due to a commanded caesarian, ordered by her own husband.

The author confesses that the history of Portugal is a gold mine of personages and situations. The queens, especially the medieval ones, are fascinating and these women had a personality that no one can even imagine.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

O Primeiro de Janeiro

"During 700 years, several events had taken place in Portugal and Spain, due to the narrow relation established by these princesses" - says Marsilio Cassotti. It's the case, among others, of the creation of the monasteries of Lorvão and Arouca, the establishment of the border with Castile (the eldest one, in the whole the Europe) or the foundation of the Prado Museum, currently one of most important museums in the world.

In the origin of everything, there were these women, who had always had "great importance, from the strategical point of view", since they contributed with their marriages to the consolidation of the Spanish monarchy and of the kingdom of Portugal.

Urraca, Teresa, Mafalda, Constança, Maria, Beatriz, Isabel of Portugal and Empress Isabel, Joana, Bárbara and Isabel de Bragança are now remembered in a book that enriches the Iberian history, since "these Portuguese Infantas were Queens of great value for Spain", as they contributed to enrich the Spanish culture as we know it. From musicians (as Domenico Scarlatti) to painters (as Domingos Sequeira), the Portuguese Princesses took many of these masters in their "luggage", thus enriching the Spanish culture.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Gentry

Are there any good english books about the current spanish royal family?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
So, did anybody buy/read John van der Kiste's 'A House Divided'? About the Spanish monarchy from Isabel II to Juan-Carlos? I have bought it and started reading the beginning but it seems to be leaning havily on Theo Aronsons 'Royal Vendetta'. And it is a typical van der Kiste: not that much in-depth things and only the basic information. I believe he didn't even leave the library in London for it! Perhaps that is why he has Queen Victoria as one of his main sources in the early part of the book (while there should be -many- more interesting sourceds around).
You've just touched on the reason for why I avoid buying this book, despite the interesting topic that I do want to learn more about. I have a few of van der Kiste's books, and they're too much basic information, and not really all that interesting to read because of it.

I suppose the alternative, though, is learning Spanish...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I think there's one about Felipe called "Listo para reinar" (Ready to reign)

Does somebody know a little bit more about it?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_* View Post
I think there's one about Felipe called "Listo para reinar" (Ready to reign)

Does somebody know a little bit more about it?
Felipe de Borbón Listo para reinar

Concha CALLEJA - Felipe de Borbón: Listo para Reinar, Espejo de Tinta, 2004.
Price: 19.00 €

The book is conceived as a route through the Prince of Asturias' daily activities, in order to understand how does a king of the 21st century understands the Monarchy and conceives his idea of Spain.
The author had the opportunity to accompany a series of trips the Prince made abroad and shares her impressions about his work, as an embassador of Spain, trying to analyse the present (2004) in a future perspective.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

2 books that i have bought in January about the infantas and another one that is all year in photos.

http://i3.uploadem.com/09092007/book1.jpg
http://i3.uploadem.com/09092007/book2.jpg
Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu View Post
Hey , I was at Borders today (school's about to start... ) and was of course (typical of me) I was in the history section and found a really intresting book called "Juan Carlos" published in 2005 by Paul Pentacle. As you could tell by the title it's about his life as a child (during Franco's dictatorship) to the early 1990's. I havent started reading it yet but I've glanced at the pictures inside...there are really cute pictures that I haven't seen before, such as King Juan Carlos (at the age of 4, and there was a little note next to it saying that after the photo was taken (he had to take the big shoes off) Juan Carlos "learnt that Bourbons never cry but only in bed"). There were several more pictures, including...giving Infanta Elena away on her wedding day...young JC and Maria-Gabriella of Savoy (footnote beside it said "the vavacious daughter of the last exiled King Umberto of Savoy")...young JC in an army aircraft...young JC coming from Lisborn to Spain...engagemnt announcement of JC and Sofia (apparantly the footnote beside that picture said it was a "surprise" [could someone message me to the reason why it was a total surprise? I'd really like to know]...young JC and 8-9 year old [doesn't mention how old Fellipe is but he looked very young] Fellipe looking at each other and many others...

I have that book too... but i just bought to see the photos
Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 AM

I read Juan Carlos: A People's King by Paul Preston.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

that book just wants us to believe some things. i know it.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM

rchainho, what things do you disagree with/dispute? I'm curious!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

well, i read that book a long time ago. But some of the biography of the king isn't that correct. some facts about his life, family and friends. Some sentences were just to make a good image of the king.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho View Post
well, i read that book a long time ago. But some of the biography of the king isn't that correct. some facts about his life, family and friends. Some sentences were just to make a good image of the king.
I see what you mean. It was authorized, I think, by the Spanish Institute or maybe the Spanish Royal House. In any case, by some "think tank" which Dr Preston works for, right?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

An excellent reading of this book can be found here:
[e-Cultura.pt] Destaques
Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Nobility

Title: "Luis Alfonso de Borbón. Un príncipe a la espera”
Author: José Apezarena
Plaza y Janés

Título: "Luis Alfonso de Borbón, un rey sin trono"
Author: David Botello