The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Violet (Keppel) Trefusis's lengthy affair with Vita Sackville -West is well known. Books have been written about it. Why should the Cynthia who had a friendship with Sonia (Keppel) Ashcombe and/or the Queen Mother be Cynthia Cadogan?

There were rumours floating about in the First World War period about the Asquith family, including the ridiculous tale that Margot Asquith had had an affair with Maud Allan, a gay dancer. There was a note in a diary about Cynthia Asquith's 'lesbian bower', (HH Asquith's daughter in law.) I don't think Sonia or Cynthia Asquith were lesbians but why shouldn't it be Cynthia A who was a friend of both Keppel sisters?

Anyway, I thought we were against mere rumours and wanted everything well sourced and footnoted.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Nobility

I'm reminded of what Georgina battiscombe had to say about Royal biography, namely that too many authors failed to treat their subjects with the same consideration as they would non- Royal ones. This most certainly has been the case of the PoW and the DssoCW - I don't approve of what happened, but humanity and good judgement has been so far in short supply when it comes to the telling of the tale - no wonder access to the Royal library is so strict. The stuff about he Windors dealings with the Nazis in WWII is another matter...

What I'm saying is that a little more openess would help as the current way of doing things only gives succour to critics and fuel to the conspiracy theorists
Which does not help anyone.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Queen Camilla: you've got your Keppel sisters mixed up - violet was the lesbian not Sonia. That's the first time I've heard anything about Cynthia and Sonia and frankly sounds far fetched
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Why should the Cynthia who had a friendship with Sonia (Keppel) Ashcombe and/or the Queen Mother be Cynthia Cadogan?

I don't think Sonia or Cynthia Asquith were lesbians but why shouldn't it be Cynthia A who was a friend of both Keppel sisters?

Anyway, I thought we were against mere rumours and wanted everything well sourced and footnoted.
An innocent post hoping Camilla's grandmother is included in a biography about Camilla is turned into lesbian rumors and affairs. All the books written about Camilla reduce Sonia to one sentence.

The discussion was about why the earlier years of Camilla's life deserve more than a few paragraphs.

Sonia Keppel was born May 24, 1900 to August 16, 1986
Elizabeth Bowes Lyon born August 4, 1900 to March 30, 2002

The two women were acquaintances/friends.
I want to know the details. When did they meet? How did they meet? etc.
Sonia's friendship with QEQM should be included in any biography of Camilla.

We know the details of Cynthia/QEQM; Ruth/QEQM but not Sonia/QEQM or Sonia/Cynthia.

Cynthia Hamilton was born August 16, 1897

In 1915, a Lady Cynthia Hamilton took ballet lessons at the Keppel home.
In her biography, Sonia says Cynthia is a friend of Violet.
CH is the only one that will fit the age bracket and by 1939, Cynthia Hamilton (Countess Spencer) is clearly a friend of Sonia.
Was it the same person?

According to Wikipedia Cynthia's niece is listed as Camilla's roommate.

This information appears to be inaccurate so it would be nice it we had accurate information about Camilla's life rather than all the rumors and innuendos.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness

Sorry Queen Camilla but I don't know why anything you have just written would be of interest in a book about Camilla.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-04-2016, 01:49 AM
Nobility

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...h-Camilla.html

For the interim, Penny Juror is taking a crack at a Camilla biography. The article is from some time ago but was still interesting

Also recall that Andrew Morton was taking a stab at one as well but I can't find the reference for that one
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
AnWhen did they meet? How did they meet? etc.
Sonia's friendship with QEQM should be included in any biography of Camilla.

We know the details of Cynthia/QEQM; Ruth/QEQM but not Sonia/QEQM or Sonia/Cynthia.

According to Wikipedia Cynthia's niece is listed as Camilla's roommate.

This information appears to be inaccurate so it would be nice it we had accurate information about Camilla's life rather than all the rumors and innuendos.
What is so interesting about this? Its very possible that some of Cam's relatives were friends of the queen mother's. So? Diana's grandmother was one of her best friends.. its harldy that interesting.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What is so interesting about this? Its very possible that some of Cam's relatives were friends of the queen mother's. So? Diana's grandmother was one of her best friends.. its harldy that interesting.
Perhaps not that interesting to a lot of people here but its very possible that there are people out there that are genuinely interested in every facet of Camilla's life. Kind of the way some people take apart and dissect every event, incident, story about and personality of Diana, Princess of Wales.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Serene Highness

I am interested in Camilla because little is known about her, but well its kind of a given that some of her family would know the QM. She's from that sort of circle, which is how she got to know Charles in the first place...
Old 07-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I want a book about Camilla not her family or ancestors. I admit the one book I have about her I skipped over all the crap about Alice Keppel.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Serene Highness

I think for now, there's not going to be a very "deep" book about Camilla, perhaps I should say a very frank one. But i'd like to know a bit more about her. I don't have a problem with learning about her ancestry, per se...