The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

All the book a I've read pertaining to Camilla are about Charles first. We hear a lot about her familial history but not enough about the stuff that really matters nor is there any speculation about what Camilla felt or thought about certain situations. More than anything I think that's because her friends and those she talks to about her feelings are talking to the public. And of course Camilla herself isn't going to tell a journalist all the juicy details. The answers to questions like: 1) How did you feel when those tapes were released 2) How did Charles propose 3) How do you feel about potentially becoming queen 4) How do your children and Charles children get a long...will never be answered, probably because Camilla lives with the insane notion that IRA nobody's business.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Nobility

I personally think that there is a lot interesting about Camilla outside her relationship with Charles. She is quite cultivated, her family and ancestry are fascinating, and that her life story is far from ordinary yet she has retained some ordinariness about her - that's not easy, I consider a very strong, dignified and grounded person and I want to know more about how this came to be.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The answers to questions like: 1) How did you feel when those tapes were released 2) How did Charles propose 3) How do you feel about potentially becoming queen 4) How do your children and Charles children get a long...will never be answered, probably because Camilla lives with the insane notion that IRA nobody's business.
This is just what I mean. This is just a very small part of her life. It is all about Charles.

What about the suicides in her family and how they affected her and family?

How about maybe the reason Camilla is afraid of flying is because a relative died in a plane crash?

What about dealing with her mother's osteoporosis?
What about dealing with her mother's osteoporosis while being trashed by the media?

How about dealing with her father's depression while being hounded by the media?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla wouldn't have been hounded by the media if she hadn't been Charles's mistress during his marriage.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Camilla wouldn't have been hounded by the media if she hadn't been Charles's mistress during his marriage.
so we are going there...

Charles would not have had gone to Camilla if Diana had been faithful.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
so we are going there...

This thread is to discuss books and the lack of them. Please stay on topic I don't want the moderators to close another thread. The question of who cheated first isn't relevant in the grand scheme of things - for all I know you could be right BUT this isn't the place to be rehashing that.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
so we are going there...

Can you please just ignore the obvious attempt to start another bash Camilla round.
You brought up some very good points I would love to address, I for one didn't know she was afraid to fly; I wonder if she still is after 10yrs of being a royal. Perhaps Penny can bring some of this up, unfortunately who Camilla is and what has happened in her long life won't sell unless they have juicy tidbits about the 80s and 90s.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Exactly...she would of been a minor footnote to history...just the wife of a British Officer...perhaps mention made of the fact she held Charles attention before her marriage to Andrew...past that none of the media attention etc.

And you can't have a book about Charles AND Camilla without addressing the issue. It's got nothing to do with bashing Camilla. It is what it is.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gerald Paget wrote Lineage and Ancestry of H.R.H. Prince Charles, Prince of Wales.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Can you please just ignore the obvious attempt to start another bash Camilla round..
A bit difficult when it keeps occurring.

Quote:
You brought up some very good points I would love to address, I for one didn't know she was afraid to fly; I wonder if she still is after 10yrs of being a royal. Perhaps Penny can bring some of this up, unfortunately who Camilla is and what has happened in her long life won't sell unless they have juicy tidbits about the 80s and 90s.
I think the real Camilla story is very interesting.

It might not sell to the people who want to believe the juicy tidbits but if anyone wanted to read about the real Camilla they would find the real story much more interesting than the 80s and 90s.

I find the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s much more interesting.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Royal Highness

1940's !!!!!! what when she was a baby is more interesting than an affair with the future king ! Oh well to each there own.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

A book that didn't address the Charles and Camilla relationship during both their marriages wouldn't sell, ('juicy titbits' or not) because (a) Camilla's relationship to the Prince of Wales before, during and after his first marriage is central to the view the British public have of Camilla. Therefore (b) no publisher in Britain would accept a full blown biography of Camilla without that being one of the book's central themes. It would be regarded as of little interest and no publisher, whether small or large, would accept a book for publication that would sell a relatively few copies.

It's not like Charles, where a writer could produce a fairly concise but interesting account in book form of his naval career, or Highgrove and his gardening, or his work with the Prince's Trust and helping to save neglected country houses. However, even POW biographers so far have felt compelled to address the question of his adultery with Camilla and the state of his marriage to Diana, even when they haven't been particularly eager to do so.

In Camilla's book there could be a chapter about Cubitt and other ancestors, a chapter on her country childhood, possibly one on her girlhood and meeting and romance with APB and with Charles, and then....?

99% of readers who bothered to buy the book would be flipping pages saying to themselves 'when do we get to the part where Charles and Camilla get together?' and 'what about the Di/Charles/Camilla triangle,'? etc.

I said in a previous post that we won't get a book on Camilla or one on Charles that has some cooperation from BP and addresses the issues of his first marriage and the full story of his relationship with Camilla, for years, (not one with letters, footnotes, full interviews with those in the know), probably for decades, perhaps not until Charles and Camilla are both dead. I stick to that view, mainly because the two participants alive today and the BRF and TPTB want to draw a veil over that portion of the Prince's life until it is, they hope, almost forgotten.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A bit difficult when it keeps occurring.

I think the real Camilla story is very interesting.

It might not sell to the people who want to believe the juicy tidbits but if anyone wanted to read about the real Camilla they would find the real story much more interesting than the 80s and 90s.

I find the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s much more interesting.
What family member committed suicide and where did you find that out? I have to go back and read the few books I have because I don't remember that being mentioned.
I know it's hard to ignore the attempts, I was just trying to keep an interesting discussion from being derailed.
A lot of times the stuff I read about Camilla is shallow stuff; its the same with Kate. One biography I read had absolutely nothing of note from 2007-2010; it just made me realize how little these two women will divulge about themselves.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Camilla could you tell me what was so interesting about Camilla in the '40's and 50's and where you found out about it. Only being a young child at that time makes me wonder what it could be

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
In Camilla's book there could be a chapter about Cubitt and other ancestors, a chapter on her country childhood, possibly one on her girlhood and meeting and romance with APB and with Charles, and then....?
This is where I strongly disagree. I think her life is extremely interesting and if a biography is thorough the events of her life and her family's would take several volumes.

Quote:
99% of readers who bothered to buy the book would be flipping pages saying to themselves 'when do we get to the part where Charles and Camilla get together?' and 'what about the Di/Charles/Camilla triangle,'? etc.
I agree that 90% will initially be looking for the 80s/90s but once they start reading a well written thorough book they would want more of the 40s, 50s, 60s.

The Camilla/APB relationship/family might take you back a few generations.
I know the family friendships predates 1912.

Then there is the Elizabeth/Sonia story.
When did these two women meet?
When QEQM attended the wedding of Camilla and APB was it really because she was only friends of APB and his family?

A few people might be interested in the Sonia/Cynthia story.

Quote:
What family member committed suicide and where did you find that out? I have to go back and read the few books I have because I don't remember that being mentioned.
A lot of times the stuff I read about Camilla is shallow stuff;
You are not going to find this in any of the books or the tabloid but if you research Camilla's family you will find it. Check out the London Times.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:31 AM
Nobility

@Queen Camilla: you've got your Keppel sisters mixed up - violet was the lesbian not Sonia. That's the first time I've heard anything about Cynthia and Sonia and frankly sounds far fetched
Old 07-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
@Queen Camilla: you've got your Keppel sisters mixed up - violet was the lesbian not Sonia. That's the first time I've heard anything about Cynthia and Sonia and frankly sounds far fetched
How did you come to this conclusion?

I was only hinting that they knew each other and might have been friends.

But actually it was Violet that was originally Cynthia's friend. If it is the same Cynthia which it is a strong possibility.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:52 AM
Serene Highness

Who is Cynthia?
And where are these interesting stories in the London times. It is a rather big source, I think that if you have access to some interesting stuff about Camilla in the London Times, it would help if you could give us some direction as to where to Look, the dates of the issues etc.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
A book that didn't address the Charles and Camilla relationship during both their marriages wouldn't sell, ('juicy titbits' or not) because (a) Camilla's relationship to the Prince of Wales before, during and after his first marriage is central to the view the British public have of Camilla. Therefore (b) no publisher in Britain would accept a full blown biography of Camilla without that being one of the book's central themes. It would be regarded as of little interest and no publisher, whether small or large, would accept a book for publication that would sell a relatively few copies.

It's not like Charles, where a writer could produce a fairly concise but interesting account in book form of his naval career, or Highgrove and his gardening, or his work with the Prince's Trust and helping to save neglected country houses. However, even POW biographers so far have felt compelled to address the question of his adultery with Camilla and the state of his marriage to Diana, even when they haven't been particularly eager to do so.

I said in a previous post that we won't get a book on Camilla or one on Charles that has some cooperation from BP and addresses the issues of his first marriage and the full story of his relationship with Camilla, for years, (not one with letters, footnotes, full interviews with those in the know), probably for decades, perhaps not until Charles and Camilla are both dead. I stick to that view, mainly because the two participants alive today and the BRF and TPTB want to draw a veil over that portion of the Prince's life until it is, they hope, almost forgotten.
The libel laws in the UK may be strict, but not so in other parts of the English speaking world, namely the USA. If such a 'warts and all' or for that matter 'kiss and tell' bio was to be published in the lifetime of C and Cm it could well be published in the USA where the onus is on the aggrieved part to prove libel and the defendant. And in this digital world getting a copy would be very easy.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, such a book could be published in the US (or in other parts of the English speaking world.) However, much of Charles's correspondence with his parents, lawyers, other relatives on the matter of his relationship with Camilla (letters, documents etc) and indeed any memos etc connected with the Royal Household on the matter, would be tucked away in the archives at Windsor. (That portion that hasn't been burned that is, like King Edward VII's and Queen Alexandra's letters about sensitive family matters and the Queen Mother's letters to Diana and presumably from her, that were destroyed by Princess Margaret.) IMHO any sensitive correspondence or documentation of Camilla's from that time period and afterwards is probably there at Windsor too.

The Royal Librarians at Windsor showed huge reluctance years ago to show the entire correspondence they held between Queen Victoria and ghillie John Brown to a prospective author. If they were reluctant about a 140 years ago friendship, I hardly think they are going to release anything from the late 20th century without Camilla and Charles's say-so in their lifetimes. Permission has been refused to study in the Royal Library at Windsor at times.