The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post

- Abortion is legal during the first 14 weeks. This law was passed in 2010, however abortion was considered a medical procedure on a doctor's recommendation before then.
And anybody who lived in Spain before 2010 knows as well that the situation was pretty much the same than now. If a woman wanted to have an abortion, she only had to look for a doctor who signed the medical consent so she could be taken into the third supossed considered for legal abortion: the risk for the mother´s mental health or something like that.

I applauded the reform of the law back them because, in fact, with the free abortion during the 14 weeks they only regulated a situation already existing: anybody could have an abortion during the first 14 weeks. Now, after the changes in the law, things are done more cleanly and openly and, more important, there are no longer the "bussiness" that some used to do with this subject.

I think this is a little bit too political for the forums, but I felt the neccessity of explain how abortion processes worked/work in Spain

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How is the book going down in Spain?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
And anybody who lived in Spain before 2010 knows as well that the situation was pretty much the same than now. If a woman wanted to have an abortion, she only had to look for a doctor who signed the medical consent so she could be taken into the third supossed considered for legal abortion: the risk for the mother´s mental health or something like that.

I applauded the reform of the law back them because, in fact, with the free abortion during the 14 weeks they only regulated a situation already existing: anybody could have an abortion during the first 14 weeks. Now, after the changes in the law, things are done more cleanly and openly and, more important, there are no longer the "bussiness" that some used to do with this subject.

I think this is a little bit too political for the forums, but I felt the neccessity of explain how abortion processes worked/work in Spain
Totally agree Annie. An you're right. Unless you are a Spaniard few people can understand that there wasn't much of a realistic, pragmatic difference in abortion laws in Spain before and after 2010.

I'm sure mods are experienced enough to know the difference between using politics to belittle an opinion and giving a political framework to what's happening in Spain right now.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The book is simply not going. You can buy it in Amazon but that's about it. Most book stores don't have it.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The book is simply not going. You can buy it in Amazon but that's about it. Most book stores don't have it.
Good it sounds llike something that should only be used to light a fire with!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I am relieved & extremely happy to read that! Seems like the Spanish people know who to trust and don´t waste their money on such crappy books

Also,they don´t like to be fooled and distracted from the REAL problems that are so many now,not only the Urdangarin case & Juan Carlos affairs....the economic situation is much worse and needs to be improved as fast as possible.
I have heard that there are now so many young people with no jobs ( even those with good education!) and those who have a job often have to work for a very bad salary
. Helen Keller
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Well, in Amazon.es it´s on the first place on the lists of best sellers.
Amazon.es Los más vendidos: Los productos más populares en Libros

But if we consider that book stores aren´t selling it, maybe those are the only ones buying it...
And well, not many people buy books nowadays, you have to take in account the Internet downloads (someone put a link on this same thread), so I think there are many people reading the book right now.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I think she doesn´t have to make a public apologize, as long as she hasn´t done anything illegal. Why should she apologize for something that happened before she got married and so before being Spain´s representative?

I´ve always thought that MM public apologize was humilliating. I would never have accept to do it, and I think no woman should be forced to apologize for something that isn´t anybody´s bussiness but hers (I don´t think a man should, either, but somehow that a man wouldn´t have had to do what MM did...)
Well, there is at least one historical example where a man had to do penance ... the so called Walk to Canossa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back in 1077 Henry IV thought the Holy Roman Empire was worth it to kneel in front of Pope Gregory and beg for forgiveness.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Well, in Amazon.es it´s on the first place on the lists of best sellers.
Amazon.es Los más vendidos: Los productos más populares en Libros

But if we consider that book stores aren´t selling it, maybe those are the only ones buying it...
And well, not many people buy books nowadays, you have to take in account the Internet downloads (someone put a link on this same thread), so I think there are many people reading the book right now.

I really, really hope, that the book of this git will remain dusted in the shelfs.... I simply do not wish, that this snitch is becoming rich by betraying his own blood.
BYe Bine
Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
I really, really hope, that the book of this git will remain dusted in the shelfs....
The book is now sold out at Amazon and at the editor's website (Foca). I guess the opposite is the case, because most 'serious' Spanish papers or bookshops did not cover/distribute the book, people got even more interested in it. Those who are insterested are from the online-generation anyway, don't necessarily go into bookstores to buy a book they want to read.

I think the publisher didn't expect so many people wanting to buy, as Cunill's or Morton's book weren't top sellers, but then, David Rocasolano is family and not some 2nd or 3rd source author.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

If I understood well, at the time she did it (IF she did it) it was illegal. It is different to do something illegal, and different to do something against the Church, and for a future Queen the fîrst is much worst than the second, at least in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
If I understood well, at the time she did it (IF she did it) it was illegal. It is different to do something illegal, and different to do something against the Church, and for a future Queen the fîrst is much worst than the second, at least in my opinion.
There is no evidence that the supossed abortion was illegal. The fact that it was done before 2010 doesn´t mean it was illegal.
It´s what I tried to explain before: many, many women used to have abortions back then, just as they do nowadays. They only had to be taken in the third supossed to get a permission. And as I said, that wasn´t a very hard thing to achieve, since I know some cases...

Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

It's likely that for the church it was illegal/violated canon law. It would have caused huge problems at the time in 2003 and the man in question, archbishop Varela, is totally anti-abortion (same goes for Queen Sofia as mentioned in her own biography).

Knowing about an alledged abortion would have put the church into an almost impossible position, let alone the Kings, I mean Eva Sannum wasnt good enough because she posed in underwear etc, Isabel Sartorius had to go because of flawed family members, one can only imagine what divorce & abortion would have meant.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Speculate, speculate, speculate.

We don't know if the accusation is true
If the accusation is true, we don't know the reason for it
It's private anyway
We don't know if the king knew or not
Felipe wanted to marry her regardless of any history
Letizia's and Felipe have a happy marriage
Royal duties are being carried out as required
David R is making a lot of money out of the book
David R, if what he has written is true, has broken a confidence

Has anyone commenting read the book?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Speculate, speculate, speculate.

We don't know if the accusation is true
If the accusation is true, we don't know the reason for it
It's private anyway
We don't know if the king knew or not
Felipe wanted to marry her regardless of any history
Letizia's and Felipe have a happy marriage
Royal duties are being carried out as required
David R is making a lot of money out of the book
David R, if what he has written is true, has broken a confidence

Has anyone commenting read the book?
You are so right! It's no one's business but Letizia's, not really even Felipe's. Her 'cousin' just wanted to get the story out there? Why? There is no one who will benefit- not Spain, not the SRF, and certainly not Letizia's little girls. What a creep.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Serene Highness

Ths is exactly what the author of this book has wanted, to stir the pot and this is what has happened by the comments of this and other blogs and I imagine similiar comments elsewhere. Abortion is a issue that is emotional and it stirs the pot when discussed. Just the word does it without adding anything to it. That is all I will say about that.

IMO MM didn't owe anyone an apology for her past. Wasn't like she was hiding her past and then it was found out later (people knew her past). Neither does Letizia regardless of what she did or didn't do.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
You are so right! It's no one's business but Letizia's, not really even Felipe's. Her 'cousin' just wanted to get the story out there? Why? There is no one who will benefit- not Spain, not the SRF, and certainly not Letizia's little girls. What a creep.
Look, even if she did have a termination, it might have been perfectly legal. It could have been a health issue and seeing how her other pregnancies went [the ones made public since marriage] I wouldn't be at all surprised. It happens and on the official medical papers it still states abortion, believe me I know.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

My mother had a miscarriage back in the early 1950's. On the medical record it is often listed as spontaneous abortion which is a misnomer (word that doesn't fit). I was told by her doctor that this is a medical term for miscarriage but someone who doesn't know that would think otherwise.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
My mother had a miscarriage back in the early 1950's. On the medical record it is often listed as spontaneous abortion which is a misnomer (word that doesn't fit). I was told by her doctor that this is a medical term for miscarriage but someone who doesn't know that would think otherwise.
It was listed as "spontaneous abortion" when I miscarried in the early 70s too.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It was listed as "spontaneous abortion" when I miscarried in the early 70s too.
Likewise I miscarried in the 80s and had a nurse look at my file next hospital visit and say "you've had an abortion". I think it was because of the D&C required afterwards just to avoid risk of infection.

Tags
book, books, controversy, letizia, princess letizia