The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think it has less to do with a catholic majority etc. For me it's about being prepared to decive your own family and the instititions that a heir to the throne should pay respect to. From the beginning the rushed engagement gave the impression that there is something to hide in Letizia's past and therefore she was presented as finacee straight away, before the press could start digging.

I couldn't care less about what the private citizen Letizia Ortiz has done in her past until it becomes hypocritical when representing the institutions that stand for something very different. And Felipito thinking in all honesty that anti-monarchy or other movements would back off from this farce in the long run.

I am no fan of Mette-Marit, but at least she came clear of her shortcomings with regard to her future position prior to her marriage. In comparison, Letizia Ortiz was sold as the best thing since sliced bread, and many Spaniards remained sceptical from the beginning. Letizia will polarize forever, not a good thing for Spain at all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-new-book.html

Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
... [snipped]
I am no fan of Mette-Marit, but at least she came clear of her shortcomings with regard to her future position prior to her marriage. In comparison, Letizia Ortiz was sold as the best thing since sliced bread, and many Spaniards remained sceptical from the beginning. Letizia will polarize forever, not a good thing for Spain at all. ...[snipped]
That was a shrewd move on part of the Norwegian royal family.

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've been reading this thread for a while and am wondering something. Why did the author choose to name the book "Adios Princesa". Am I reading my limited Spanish right in thinking the book title is "Goodbye Princess"?

Just the title to me suggests that he's out to discredit.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
That was a shrewd move on part of the Norwegian royal family.
Yes, it got everything out in the open right from the start.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

Letizia seems to be a victim of a witch hunt. Whether she did or didn't have an abortion is a private matter. It's really no one elses business except hers. This would only become an issue if she was out condemning those who have had abortions and it was proven that she'd had one.

I don't really think it's fair that she's been singled out or people want to investigate this matter. This has to do with the double standards and harsh judgment of women who don't live up to unrealistic standards.

Most people don't follow the religious faith they grew up with 100%. I'm sure that this is true of royalty in general whether they be male or female.. You don't see newspapers in their country because they don't live their religious faith 100% demanding that they be investigated or demanding that their private life being investigated.

You also don't see church leaders in their countries getting involved in their private life either even if they know that they haven't lived their faith 100%.
Chances are they don't want to touch this with a ten foot pole.

Over the centuries male royals have cheated on their spouses, fathered children out of wedlock and have done other things which are considered wrong by Church standards (doesn't matter what faith or religious background they come from. these things are universally considered by church officials to be morally wrong). The women involved with these men have always been demonized and judged or blamed for this happening over the centuries. This rarely happens to the men.

Also if this had been a case where an heir to the throne, a prince or someone high up in royalty got their girlfriend or partner pregnant and the girlfriend or partner had an abortion due to pressure from this individual or their family, I really wonder if someone would demand that they be investigated or investigate the matter. That would never happen. The woman involved would be demonized.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I am no fan of Mette-Marit, but at least she came clear of her shortcomings with regard to her future position prior to her marriage. In comparison, Letizia Ortiz was sold as the best thing since sliced bread, and many Spaniards remained sceptical from the beginning. Letizia will polarize forever, not a good thing for Spain at all.

'The world must know the truth about Princess Letizia': Defiance of cousin who claims she had an abortion in new book | Mail Online
How about MM's sex and drug tape the NRF wanted to buy (her ex boyfriend revealed later) ? The Norwegian press is nothing like the Spanish press, they don't do witch hunt. I'm sure if Felipe had married someone like MM, the Spanish press would have a lot more things to talk, to invent than whatever had been out on MM. For example, Jaime Penafiel already called MM a prostitute (no proof she was) openly. Do you naively think the Spanish press would just stop after the marriage when so many people can make a good living on the 'good' stories of their CPss ? What an easy job to invent an 'exclusive' story to pocket a few thousand euros !
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Do you naively think the Spanish press would just stop after the marriage when so many people can make a good living on the 'good' stories of their CPss ? What an easy job to invent an 'exclusive' story to pocket a few thousand euros !
Not more or less naive than to believe that a past can buried by trying to deceive the institutions you are supposed to represent.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Not more or less naive than to believe that a past can buried by trying to deceive the institutions you are supposed to represent.
By constitution, the Spanish king is not head of the Catholic church, not an absolute requirement to have a Catholic wedding. I'm sure everyone has been burying some of their private life, has something they don't want to talk about. We don't know how Felipe and Letizia's interpretation on how to present the Spanish monarchy, they might not 100% agree with his parents.

I'm not saying letizia's cousin was 100% lying, you probably shouldn't believe 100% what he had said, especially the details (he already got many things wrong). Her cousin's story was on Sept 2003, a couple of months before the engagement, I don't know if a no name lawyer can demand the hospital to clean a client's record ? If the abortion was true, the hospital must have given a valid reason that people can't challenge maybe except Letizia herself.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Nobility

When s.o. has an abortion, you wouldn't let your family know. And there is no way my family would know if I had an abortion or not!

If you are very close to your mother or sister, maybe you would let that person know - but I very much doubt any cousin would know about that very personal decision.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
When s.o. has an abortion, you wouldn't let your family know. And there is no way my family would know if I had an abortion or not!

If you are very close to your mother or sister, maybe you would let that person know - but I very much doubt any cousin would know about that very personal decision.
I agree, but sometimes a piece of personal information could drop out "accidentally" and then may be used in the worst way.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm astonished that Jaime Penafiel did not already spoke about the content of this book, it is a dream occasion for him. Is he in good health?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Aristocracy

I am so shocked! I cannot believe that a person betray her own relative! David Rocasolano is an evil.
The motive behind all this is to discredit Letizia in the eyes of the world.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sira View Post
I am so shocked! I cannot believe that a person betray her own relative! David Rocasolano is an evil.
The motive behind all this is to discredit Letizia in the eyes of the world.
Naah, I think the motive is money pure & simple.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Naah, I think the motive is money pure & simple.
Agree!!! Money and also some form of revenge!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
... [snipped] Do you naively think the Spanish press would just stop after the marriage when so many people can make a good living on the 'good' stories of their CPss ? What an easy job to invent an 'exclusive' story to pocket a few thousand euros !
It would be impossible to determine whether or not the Spanish press would have started a serious onslaught. If it did, it would have been a perfect opportunity for Crown Prince Felipe to stand by the woman he loves like Crown Prince Haakon did.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
By constitution, the Spanish king is not head of the Catholic church, not an absolute requirement to have a Catholic wedding. I'm sure everyone has been burying some of their private life, has something they don't want to talk about. We don't know how Felipe and Letizia's interpretation on how to present the Spanish monarchy, they might not 100% agree with his parents.

I'm not saying letizia's cousin was 100% lying, you probably shouldn't believe 100% what he had said, especially the details (he already got many things wrong). Her cousin's story was on Sept 2003, a couple of months before the engagement, I don't know if a no name lawyer can demand the hospital to clean a client's record ? If the abortion was true, the hospital must have given a valid reason that people can't challenge maybe except Letizia herself.
I certainly do not believe 100% David Rocasolano has to say but I believe that this whole L&F/SRF story contains a lot of hyprocracy & fakeness, contrary to the story that was sold to the public.

The public will always forgive any shortcomings when it comes along with honesty and authenticiy, but it's hard to forgive deception in order to make somebody look perfect and flawless. If you don't agree with something, then why not stand up for it, including your possibly controversial choice of wife, instead of faking consent with the conservative & catholic values, fooling the public. And now its all coming back, exploding right into the SRF's faces.

Looking behind the scenes of the SRF has been a traumatic experience for the Spanish public, which now includes every single adult member, maybe apart from Queen Sofia.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

If the abortion story is true why would anyone in their right mind have expected Letiza or the SRF to have released that information publically at the time of the engagement or any time since then? I cannot see it as a deception in any way, unless there is some bizarre Spanish rule that says ones medical information must be a matter of public record for all members of the SRF as well as elected officials.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
If the abortion story is true why would anyone in their right mind have expected Letiza or the SRF to have released that information publically at the time of the engagement or any time since then? I cannot see it as a deception in any way, unless there is some bizarre Spanish rule that says ones medical information must be a matter of public record for all members of the SRF as well as elected officials.
I think that if the abortion story is true, you should think not only twice before marrying into a catholic royal house with close links to the church, probably even violating canon law.

Is easy to see (Diana of Wales) that not much will remain private if forces are out against you. I do not say this is right, but it is reality. As a public figure, you can expect your past to be discussed publicly. Even though spanish mainstream media did not cover the book, its sold like hot cakes in Spain (at least via amazon) so Spaniards seem to be interested in who truly represents them and receives taxpayer's money.

http://www.voxxi.com/adios-princesa-...tizia-secrets/
Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Is easy to see (Diana of Wales) that not much will remain private if forces are out against you. I do not say this is right, but it is reality. As a public figure, you can expect your past to be discussed publicly.
True and I agree with your assessment. However, what is astonishing in this case, is IMHO the level of hate of the Letizias cousin as well as of her aunt. Pretty much must have gone wrong in the past to reach such a breakdown in communication. Plus it always takes two. A less ambitious and more family orientated Letizia might have prevented todays revelations simply by keeping a stronger family bond. Just my opinion of course.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think that if the abortion story is true, you should think not only twice before marrying into a catholic royal house with close links to the church, probably even violating canon law.

Is easy to see (Diana of Wales) that not much will remain private if forces are out against you. I do not say this is right, but it is reality. As a public figure, you can expect your past to be discussed publicly. Even though spanish mainstream media did not cover the book, its sold like hot cakes in Spain (at least via amazon) so Spaniards seem to be interested in who truly represents them and receives taxpayer's money.

‘Adios Princesa’—Princess Letizia's cousin reveals her dirty secrets
The public are always interested in scandal and gossip. Sex sells, not exactly a surprise. I am sure Letizia as a former journalist understands that all too well, as should other members of the SRF after the last couple of years. What I do not understand is your conviction that the public were deceived in any way. Surely the public did not expect that a 31 year old, previously married, well educated, career woman would be a virgin.

While the SRF may have official ties to the Church what makes you think that they are any more pious and devout that the Spanish public? A King has had a mistress. An Infanta has been divorced, as have other relatives in Spain.

Tags
book, books, controversy, letizia, princess letizia