The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
The Spanish "Institution" Royal Family is maybe the most traditional and "ancient-thinking" one in Europe.
If they were that traditional and ancient thinking would they not in 1975 have associated themselves closely with the Spanish nobility and the old court protocol, instead of making a conscious decision to remain remote from the nobility and maintain a relatively simple lifestyle? I can think of other royal families in Europe who seem to live much more traditional lifestyles, in fact most of them seem to when compared to Spain at least in terms of how they live, who they associate with, and the ceremonial that surrounds their lives.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Sorry, it was not my intention to exagerate. Compared with millions of other women both Sofia and Letizia are of course very well off. And in both cases one might say: you made your bed, now lie in it. Letizia knew she had to change her life, Sofia knew she was entering a convenience marriage.
But if you are lonely and humiliated in public then you are suffering.
If you have to suppress your true nature or feelings and constantly are forced to pretend then you are suffering.
If relatives write tell-it-all books about you or blame you for the suicide of your sister then you are suffering.
At least I would.
I understand, but i do not compare Sofia to Letizia's wedding. Letizia is married by love and even if she had to change her life, she had her husbands support and she is not humiliated.
If one day her wedding cruches, she is free to leave, as Pcs Diana did.
As regards the suicide, blame her is so disgusting and unfair.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I hear no discussion here of the political situation which brought back the Spanish monarchy under the guidance of General Francisco Franco. For us older people who were familiar at one time with this, Franco hatred was a world-wide cause celebre. Many books were written about the struggle, making the reputations of their authors. Are the roots of this current nightmare present in that bloody war? Could it have ever have come out completely right?
We are having a terrible struggle here in the US between Right and Left wings of the political establishment. This sorry story goes on an on, monarchy or not, but the connection of Franco to the political story of Spain makes it darker.
Mariel,I am sorry to say but for me I fail to understand how Letizia´s personal story relates to Franco? Maybe I am ignoring some facts,please tell us more of your ideas!
Also,I am afraid that in Spain there are still quite a lot of people who secretly still have respect for Franco-at least this is what my grandmother who lives in Madrid tells me-but who knows, an old lady might not always get the right kind of information or interpret the current situation differently than other people who are closer to politics.

Furthermore ,I agree with what Annie S. said: Being openly pro-abortion doesn´t say anything about wheter a woman had an abortion or not.
The majority of men is against abortion,interestingly 100% of them never had one!
. Helen Keller
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 AM
Aristocracy

Letizia debe dar explicaciones | Intereconomía | 982427
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand the point of giving explications, such revelations being a lot of painful memories from the past and it is a personal matter. Even if Letizia states that everything is false, there will be some who will doubt and some hypocrites will bring the question if a future Catholic monarch could have done an abortion. It is her past, a personal life, not present, it's not that kind of corruption scandal in which Inaki is implied.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Spanish princess Letizia "had abortion before marrying into royal family" according to embarrassing new book released days after embezzlement scandal | Mail Online
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Why is everyone so surprised because of the abortion. Letizia has declared herself pro-abortion in an interview clip before she went to Mexico. People/journalists knew about the abortion at the time of the wedding but it was unprintable at the time, because it would have prevented the wedding.

This is a very interesting point. Was the Spanish Press so kind, to be aware of such an important secret, worthing millions, and did not use it?
British tabloids in their position would not be sooo nice!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
This is a very interesting point. Was the Spanish Press so kind, to be aware of such an important secret, worthing millions, and did not use it?
British tabloids in their position would not be sooo nice!
Juan Carlos used to be untouchable at the time of the wedding. Only in the last years this codex has been eroded and only because of the Noos & Elephant hunting/Corinna scandal the barrier has become so low that such stuff can be printed. And for the publisher, an anti-monarchist, it was the right time to now damage Felipe's & Letizia's reputation, after the King has already demolished his own.

By the way, apparently the Royal House is working behind the scenes because none of the major 'serious' newspapers are commenting on it.

Letizia - and even more importantly Felipe - did not only try to decive the Kings and the Spanish public but also, and this was Felipe's biggest worry, the church: according to canon law, abortion qualifies as a reason for excommunication which means that even though Felipe could have blackmailed his parents into the marriage, the church would defo have said no. The timing of the alledged abortion gives reason for controversy too, Letizia went to the clinic 10 days after meeting Felipe for the first time.

What does this say about the attitude of a future Head of State, playing dirty tricks, combined with an incredible naivity to believe this story would never get out.

Furthermore the books gives details about the SRF (Juan Carlos above everything, showing the same not-bothered attitude towards every family member), points out at Letizia as control-freakish and rude towards her family, eg at the engagement party she became embarrassed with the grandfather who was drinking whine & dancing, asked her cousin to remove him. In general, she was putting an enormous pressure on her family to behave or to be perfect (maybe only transferring casareal's pressure on herself) what may have had a tragic impact on Erika.

El Universal - El Mundo - Extractos del libro ?Adiós, Princesa?
Google Translate
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I don't understand the point of giving explications, such revelations being a lot of painful memories from the past and it is a personal matter. Even if Letizia states that everything is false, there will be some who will doubt and some hypocrites will bring the question if a future Catholic monarch could have done an abortion. It is her past, a personal life, not present, it's not that kind of corruption scandal in which Inaki is implied.
This is very true,I am sure that no matter if she did or did not have an abortion (which was before she became Princess and therefore non of our business & should not be of importance for her future position).

I am convinced that Letizia did think deeply about the issue and certainly came to the conclusion that the most important for a child is to have a mother and father who love it and give all their time & devotion to them.A career woman who travels all the time will have difficulties to be a good mother unless she has a very supportive family or a husband who is accepting to work less to allow her career to thrive.

We should not be naive - having children is always a demanding job and if a woman thinks she can´t give all her love & care to the baby,she should better not have one. ( Of course:In that case preventing a pregnancy with pills or other means is best!)
That´s my opinion,IMO it is better to have an abortion than to give birth because you are afraid of what the church/your friends/family say and than you don´t have time for the baby,a child that will grow up without proper parents and certainly will have a lot of problems in his/her youth!
A lot of juvenile delinquency and drug abuse/addiction stems from neglecting parents.

Apart from that: We should not let this book divert our attention from the Urdangarin-case!!!
. Helen Keller
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Sounds like a world of hypocracy to me - Casareal, the Church (they dont excommunicate every catholic woman known to have an abortion - they pick and choose), Letitia's family, Letitia, Felipe, the government, the media - picking and choosing who they want to bring down. And all the facts getting blurred.

Yikes!

So - how is the economy coming along?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

there's a version EPUB to be downloaded in the web. :)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I am wondering why we are discussing this as if all that mr Rocasolano wrote is the truth? For all we know he/the publisher might have spiced the story up a few notches to sell more books/make more money, as is usually the case with these kinds of books. Thus far we only have Mr. Rocasolano's statements as 'evidence' and he has proven himself to be a less than reliable character. And in some cases I find him rather disgusting (Erica Ortiz' death for example).

Anyway, I do not expect this book will have a lot of impact as it is all gossip (even if it is true,we simply do not know). It is a short distraction of the real issue: the corruption case. That is much more explosive IMHO and may rock the foundations of the monarchy itself.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho View Post
there's a version EPUB to be downloaded in the web. :)

Could you post the link, rchainho?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Libro#002119.epub (122,21 MB) - uploaded.net
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

The timing of publishing this book is extremely interesting - it puts the king's and Urdangarin's scandals to the background ...
This man writing this book must be a very problematic person with big difficulties in his personal life.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The timing of publishing this book is extremely interesting - it puts the king's and Urdangarin's scandals to the background ...
On this messageboard perhaps....
The publisher is an anti-monarchist, seen from his point of view the timing is just perfect.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
This man writing this book must be a very problematic person with big difficulties in his personal life.
Thats true!!
But what should we deduct? That Letizia is being sacrified to save the others?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I am wondering why we are discussing this as if all that mr Rocasolano wrote is the truth? For all we know he/the publisher might have spiced the story up a few notches to sell more books/make more money, as is usually the case with these kinds of books. Thus far we only have Mr. Rocasolano's statements as 'evidence' and he has proven himself to be a less than reliable character. And in some cases I find him rather disgusting (Erica Ortiz' death for example).

Anyway, I do not expect this book will have a lot of impact as it is all gossip (even if it is true,we simply do not know). It is a short distraction of the real issue: the corruption case. That is much more explosive IMHO and may rock the foundations of the monarchy itself.
I fully agree with your statements,the book is using all these rumours and gossip to sell-I hope that it won´t be bought by many,as there are much better and truthful books about Letizia/ the Spanish RF out there...

Just like with all the Diana books-they only get succesful and important if people buy them...I also agree that the way Rosalio told his story and how he wrote about Letizia is very unkind,and sometimes disgustingly immoral...
He knew very well the mindset of the ultra-Catholic majority in Spain and how they would react to his so-called "revelations"

I hope that Letizia & Felipe don´t take that book too seriously & find a good way to cope with all that dirt that is being thrown at them. I would be absolutely furious if I were in their position,but they can´t do anything against that crappy book being published because we live in a democracy and have the freedom of speech.
However,this freedom sometimes gets abused for very doubtful reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Thats true!!
But what should we deduct? That Letizia is being sacrified to save the others?
Well-on TRF the matter is discussed a lot,but the newspapers in my country did not write anything about that crappy book,only about the Urdangarin scandal.
Which is also more important to be talked about...
. Helen Keller
Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
IHe knew very well the mindset of the ultra-Catholic majority in Spain and how they would react to his so-called "revelations"
Why do you say untra Catholic majority? My impression from visiting and studying there is that most people, especially those 40 and under, are like other Catholic Europeans who are basically cultural Catholics but use the church pretty much only for christenings, weddings and funerals. I would think your "ultra Catholic majority" are probably a minority by now.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Why do you say untra Catholic majority? My impression from visiting and studying there is that most people, especially those 40 and under, are like other Catholic Europeans who are basically cultural Catholics but use the church pretty much only for christenings, weddings and funerals. I would think your "ultra Catholic majority" are probably a minority by now.
According to recent polls, you´re very right.

Opinions and attitudes of the Spanish to the everyday dimension of religiosity and governance

- Non-practising believers (from all religions): 40%
- Atheists, agnostics and indeferents: 32%
- Practicant believers: 27%

Traductor de Google

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)

Tags
book, books, controversy, letizia, princess letizia