"Adios Princesa" by David Rocasolano [Letizia's cousin] (2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...And being spanish is an advantage, the worldwide possible coverage is huge, spanish is spoken very widely.
I can formulate the question to the Spaniards: BEFORE october 2002, how many of you knew Letizia Ortiz, as an established jourmalist?
At least at a national scale?
Indeed Spanish is spoken very widely, but there is no TV Spanish speaking journalist who is as well known as the likes of Amanpour or Oprah.
I was not saying you were a hater, unfortunately the source of some of the international news you read likely was from someone like Jaime Penafiel since I read similar one from him as well.

If you watched news, you would have known her. Letizia started to become known after hosting the Euro program back in 2000, and won the AP's best journalist under 30 at that year. Before Oct 2002, she was not one of the most established journalists in Spain (she was too young for that), but she was definitely one of the young rising stars. If you watched TVE news, you would notice there were not many new faces the last few years. If she hadn't married Felipe, I'm pretty sure she would become one of the most established ones at 40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her achievements as a journalist do not have to be measured in terms of 'fame' or how well known she was to the public at large. For example, someone who has been very successful as a physicist, a heart surgeon or even a journalist and is recognised as such within the profession through awards and invitations to present at conferences,etc are not necessarily well known to the general public. In fact, this would be highly unlikely.

What we do know about Letizia is that she was sent to cover some of the most important international and domestic news stories and events in the early 2000s. In 2001, long before she met Felipe, she was sent to cover the biggest international news story since the end of the Cold War - 9/11 in the US. She was also sent to cover the war in Iraq and the Galician oil spill. She was sent there because she was highly capable and highly respected - no respectable news editor, whether for a newspaper or tv news, would send a mediocre journalist to cover these stories. She also won the 'best journalist under 30' award. All these achievements are there for all to see and are not based on rumours, gossip, or innuendo from questionable and biased sources. At the end of the day, these are very impressive achievements by any measure.

The SRF are quick to deny any info that is untrue about it's members, so why not this particular allegation about Letizia? She is going to be Queen of Spain someday. I cannot understand why they don't categorically deny something this serious.

Actually, that is not quite true - there are many examples where the Spanish Royal Family has chosen not to deny made-up stories even if they were blatantly false. For example, gossip columnists spread stories that Leonor was both deaf and dumb several years ago. There are other stories about the Asturias family staying at very expensive resorts during the summer holidays which also later proved to be untrue. In this time and age, Zarzuela's PR strategy belongs to the stone age and is IMO, pathetic, benefitting it seems, only certain members of the family when necessary. It should have been changed years ago but it hasn't and the men in charge can't seem to see its failings.

Some more tricycle pictures:
La Princesa Letizia montada en un triciclo y perseguida por su sobrina Carla: Fotos en Bekia
El Príncipe Felipe divierte a su sobrina Carla junto a Francisco Rocasolano: Fotos en Bekia
Los Príncipes Felipe y Letizia abrazados en la navidad de 2004: Fotos en Bekia

Spanish media is discussing the ugly interior of the house (I already remember those discussions when Leonor's official pictures where taken in the same rooms) and the adults riding Carla's bike.

Consola de estilo

The press said Letizia had wanted to sue her cousin, but her mom (Paloma Rocasolano) stopped her, she didn't want a family war.

I doubt that Paloma Rocasolano would have any say in whether the Princess of Asturias will take legal action against her cousin or not.

And on what basis would Letizia go to court? Libel and slander? Violating privacy? And then? What is there to gain? Discussing in court if there was an abortion or not? This whole issue would become a media frenzy without precedence and the impact would be much, much worse than it is now.

Casa Real has never gone to court on own initiative and they are well advised to keep it that way.

Is this book even a big story in Spain? Is the general public in Spain aware of the book and do they much care about what was written?
I never see it written about except on this message board.

The conservative bookstores are ignoring it but especially younger generations don't go into bookstores anymore. Same with the newspapers, almost no coverage but the younger generations are online and it was all over the internet/Spanish gossip sites.

As a consequence, the book is a hit on amazon, where it can be bought online, or with the publisher, where it can be downloaded. The book was on top of amazon rankings and is still in the top 10 after weeks, the most sold biography. I think the publisher was caught by surprise by the demand as they are going into 4th edition now, in the beginning it was completely sold out.

I dont think the majority of Spaniards care about the book, because they dont care about the monarchy.

Last edited:
I doubt that Paloma Rocasolano would have any say in whether the Princess of Asturias will take legal action against her cousin or not.
Paloma might not have a final say, but Letizia would definitely consider her mom's advice. The cousin had violated privacy, fake documents (if any), breached the trust between lawyer and client and etc. But most likely the SRF wouldn't go to the court, since that's exactly what the publisher wants.

You can buy the book at El Conte Ingres. Each edition was very small, it said in the media 5,000 copies each after initial 10,000 copies, thus about 30,000 copies sold, nothing like Sofia's previous biography that was sold for 400,000 copies. I think the publisher and the cousin definitely expected a lot more, thus the cousin is still making lots of noise on the internet.

Paloma might not have a final say, but Letizia would definitely consider her mom's advice. The cousin had violated privacy, fake documents (if any), breached the trust between lawyer and client and etc. But most likely the SRF wouldn't go to the court, since that's exactly what the publisher wants.

I don't think even Letizia would have a say in this matter. It's Juan Carlos alone who would decide. I don't think the publisher expected the SRF to go to court, it would be like Xmas & Easter on one day for him because all matters would be splashed out on a much bigger scale. SRF policy is not to sue, very predictable.

Years ago the publisher would have been shut down quietly but times have changed, any story can be spread over the net, trying to stop it is pointless and will even make more noise.

The cousin may be after the money but I think the publisher (or whoever is behind the book) is after damaging the SRF & institution, only used the cousin as a tool.

...What we do know about Letizia is that she was sent to cover some of the most important international and domestic news stories and events in the early 2000s...long before she met Felipe...
Very well said, she had a great career beforehand, which she gave up for her "new lifetime career"
Bye Bine

I wonder if he sold many copies at the Madrid book fair and didn't bump into the Queen on her recent visit!

What is the point of Rocasolano posting such intimate, relaxed family photos? It only serves to emphasize his treachery in betraying such a close family member, imo. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom