The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

"A Royal Duty", by Paul Burrell

I´ve just start to read "A royal duty" and so far its good.
It has some nice pictures of the princess aswell where she looks so happy...

what do you think of it? Is it a betrayal or a loving portrait of a friend?

Old 11-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

I just got the book and I think it is interesting... I haven't gotten far enough to make any real judgements.. but so far I like it!

Old 11-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

i got book also!

Sara Boyce
Old 11-17-2003, 12:47 AM
Commoner

a real betrayal, Lady Di was so naive, she trusted this man.... she gave away to him all her secrets, she should have never done, was she never told a person does anything to get money, he got lots of money out of her trust in him , she is not here to defend herself , no1 in her family does it but her own 2 sons.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by shannen26@Nov 16th, 2003 - 11:47 pm
a real betrayal, Lady Di was so naive, she trusted this man.... she gave away to him all her secrets, she should have never done, was she never told a person does anything to get money, he got lots of money out of her trust in him , she is not here to defend herself , no1 in her family does it but her own 2 sons.
not my problems!

Diana wanted trusted him since she called him as 'rock' because she hired him til Diana's death in 1997 but Diana got rid of staff!

Sara Boyce
Old 11-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Cherry_Jubilee_Alibi

A slight improvement from other royal books I've read. I think that Burrell genuinely cares for Diana.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:33 PM
Nobility

I haven't read it, but I'm inclined to agree with Cherry_Jubilee.

I think he really does love and care about her, and (rightly or wrongly) feels he's standing up for her.

Have seen him on Larry King a couple of times, and he has seemed sincere...
Old 11-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think he cared and loved her deeply. He isnt telling it all and its nice to read a book by someone who actually knew Diana.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

one picture from the book
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rare_at_highgrove.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	27388  
Old 11-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana and the boys at the Bristol Zoo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled_grayscale_205.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	27389  
Old 11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

in the air
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	privateairplane.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	27390  
Old 11-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Nobility

They're nice photos. Thanks Yennie!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Aristocracy

I like the pictures too.. I haven't read the book yet.... but could someone tell me how much did it cost? in $ thank you.
In the new Royalty magazine comes with Diana I haven't read the article but It also talks about the book.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I cant remember how much the book costs, but you can check on amazon.com.
I think they have the price in us. dollars
Old 11-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you it's about $15.00 -$25.00 Amazon has it at $15.00
I guess is time to read. :P
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2003, 12:49 AM
Gentry

I have read the book and I have to say it was a nice of Paul to write in such glowing terms of Diana. After reading it I would have to say no it is not a betrayal but answers alot of questions, esp about the gossip surounding his trial.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Nobility

Burrell still hopes for royal meeting - 2 December 2003

Paul Burrell said he had not been in contact with the princes for six years

The former royal butler Paul Burrell has said he hopes to meet Princes William and Harry before Christmas.

Giving a public talk about his controversial book, A Royal Duty, in Wrexham, he said he would never have written about Princess Diana if he had received a single telephone call from either of her sons, and he wanted to explain himself to them.

The princes have been critical of the book and accuse Mr Burrell of betraying their mother.

But he said he did not understand why they felt like this, adding that he had let the reader "peep inside the doorway, but I haven't let you into the room".

Mr Burrell, who runs a flower shop in Holt, north Wales, gave his only UK public talk about his book at Wrexham Library on Monday evening.

The book includes intimate letters sent to Princess Diana while Mr Burrell was her butler.

He said that if you had witnessed history, you had a responsibility to write about it.

He added that he hoped to tell Princes William and Harry what he had left out of the bestseller when he met them.

Mr Burrell said he was dissapointed the princes did nothing to help him when he was wrongly accused of stealing some of Princess Diana's possessions.
Paul Burrell said Princess Diana is "smiling down on him"

He has not had any contact with them for six years and all his letters have been returned.

Mr Burrell insisted he had "personally thought" about every page he had written.

"I wrote it and thought of it as a loving tribute to the Princess and nothing else," he said.

"I haven't shared intimate secrets, they'll go with me to the grave."

Currently on a world book tour, he said it was important for him to give the talk in Wrexham, which he described as his "own backyard".

With his wife Maria and son Alexander sitting in the audience of 150 people, he talked about his life as footman to the Queen and later as Princess Diana's butler.

He said he does not know what the future holds but it is a "very interesting time".

He added that he had received "tremendous support" from the Princess's friends, and he believed that Diana was "smiling down" on him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	burrell203.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	29489  
Old 12-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Binny@Dec 2nd, 2003 - 10:30 pm
Burrell still hopes for royal meeting - 2 December 2003

Paul Burrell said he had not been in contact with the princes for six years

The former royal butler Paul Burrell has said he hopes to meet Princes William and Harry before Christmas.

Giving a public talk about his controversial book, A Royal Duty, in Wrexham, he said he would never have written about Princess Diana if he had received a single telephone call from either of her sons, and he wanted to explain himself to them.

The princes have been critical of the book and accuse Mr Burrell of betraying their mother.

But he said he did not understand why they felt like this, adding that he had let the reader "peep inside the doorway, but I haven't let you into the room".

Mr Burrell, who runs a flower shop in Holt, north Wales, gave his only UK public talk about his book at Wrexham Library on Monday evening.

The book includes intimate letters sent to Princess Diana while Mr Burrell was her butler.

He said that if you had witnessed history, you had a responsibility to write about it.

He added that he hoped to tell Princes William and Harry what he had left out of the bestseller when he met them.

Mr Burrell said he was dissapointed the princes did nothing to help him when he was wrongly accused of stealing some of Princess Diana's possessions.
Paul Burrell said Princess Diana is "smiling down on him"

He has not had any contact with them for six years and all his letters have been returned.

Mr Burrell insisted he had "personally thought" about every page he had written.

"I wrote it and thought of it as a loving tribute to the Princess and nothing else," he said.

"I haven't shared intimate secrets, they'll go with me to the grave."

Currently on a world book tour, he said it was important for him to give the talk in Wrexham, which he described as his "own backyard".

With his wife Maria and son Alexander sitting in the audience of 150 people, he talked about his life as footman to the Queen and later as Princess Diana's butler.

He said he does not know what the future holds but it is a "very interesting time".

He added that he had received "tremendous support" from the Princess's friends, and he believed that Diana was "smiling down" on him.
if William and Harry said SO!

both brothers dont wanted heard of new book about his death mother!

I think Paul Burrell wanted as little chat about Diana in the book but Wills would attack again like in 2000 when he told reporter three years ago about "Shadow Princess" if Wills would fires Burrell for book! like that! that fair and games! Wills knew it! because he dont wanted heard Paul's new book like that!

Sara Boyce
Old 12-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Courtier

It's just released overhere, so I will buy it, read it and give my comments later. From what I have heard from others who have read the English version, it's not that scandal book they had expected of it after the commotion.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Royal Highness

I think that even if he truly did care for her, he should not have betrayed her trust in this manner. Especially since it did hurt her sons the way that it did. That in itself is the ultimate betrayal. Diana loved and protected her sons more than anything, just like any mother. Personally, I think that he is a bit of a gold digger that does whatever possible to keep his name in the public eye and loves all of the attention that he has received. What a shame.