The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

Paul Burrell

The book is nice enough. Can't decide if it's a betrayal as Diana mentioned to many friends could they please let people know what things are really like.....My only wish is that he would stop hinting he knows more......it just keeps things and gossip going. Just say your peace, Paul, and be done with it. If you know "secrets," keep them to yourself and stop saying you know them or share them with the people who she might have wanted to know---like her sons; not the tabloids or authors.......

Old 09-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, he's going to have to do it sooner rather than later if he does it at all, because, as was discussed in another thread, there's a limit to the length of time when these Diana revelations will be of interest to enough people to make it worth his while.

I agree about the book; I was pleasantly surprised by it, but all this stuff about more secrets is a bit tiresome. He said before he published the present book that he wouldn't be betraying any secrets, and he proceeded to go ahead and write about his service with the Queen and the Waleses anyway. Whether it really counts as betrayal, given that Diana did want her side of things to be known and the Burrells were on her side, is somewhat more subjective.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

Agree Totally

Elspeth, you are totally right. There is a limit so he'll have to move sooner rather than later. I personally would prefer he just enjoy his money from his book and the inheritance from Diana and keep his secrets secret. He was quoted as saying if he revealed ALL he knew, he would be a multi-millionaire. Well, that speaks to motivation......I don't know if he was trying to say "I am a great person because I turn down money" or if it's a threat or if he's setting the stage for his revelations. I used to like him; now I'm beginning to find him rather unsavory. The entertaining book was one thing; the path he's embarking on now is quite another! Mary Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, he's going to have to do it sooner rather than later if he does it at all, because, as was discussed in another thread, there's a limit to the length of time when these Diana revelations will be of interest to enough people to make it worth his while.

I agree about the book; I was pleasantly surprised by it, but all this stuff about more secrets is a bit tiresome. He said before he published the present book that he wouldn't be betraying any secrets, and he proceeded to go ahead and write about his service with the Queen and the Waleses anyway. Whether it really counts as betrayal, given that Diana did want her side of things to be known and the Burrells were on her side, is somewhat more subjective.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Today in Argentina, Burrell it spoke for the TV.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

what did he say, Corazon?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:28 AM
Commoner

I like the book, I've read it several monyhs ago, it's true, this book has given much money to Paul Burrell, but it's true he tell us many good and moving things about Diana too, so I think the book is a bit betrayal and a bit loving portrait.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:43 AM
Serene Highness

Are all the proceeds going to Mr. Burrell? Is he contributing nothing to the Princess' memory? That is poor behavior on his part......total greed. The Princess had always said what she really minded was "people making money off of her" and he had to know that. So he writes a few books and does precisely that! Good friend.......
Old 10-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I doubt he's going to contribute to that charity fund of hers, since he was pretty much kicked out of it. Whether he's contributing to other charities is a different matter.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

A royal duty
by Paul Burrell

"Much has already been written about her life, both professionally and personally, but until now no one has told her story in the way that only one man can-Paul Burrell-whom she described as both "her rock" and "the only man I can trust."

Now comes the long awaited book, A ROYAL DUTY by Paul Burrell, the man in whom she confided on matters big and small. Paul, one of the Queen's personal footmen, met Diana during one of her first visits to Balmoral Castle. And while it may have been fate that brought them together, they shared a strong bond that endured to the end of her life. Burrell became Diana's confidant and his unique perspective casts new light on the Princess of Wales and the events that would shape her life and the lives of those around her.

At the time of her death there was much speculation about Diana's future plans including her thoughts about remarrying and the possibility of relocating to America. Paul, who was one of the last people to speak with her, hopes to set the record straight for the Princess he so admired and cherished. Drawing on private conversations, personal recollections, diaries and letters, Paul has written an extraordinary account of a unique time in the history of the Royal Family..."

Yennie´s comment: This one I have read. It´s a personal story, but not "intimate". Paul was the butler and Diana was his employer.
But its still probably one of the most revealing books out there.
I liked it!
It also has some never before seen photos taken by Paul Burrel, both of the princess and the princes!
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Aristocracy

My sister and I both enjoyed the book. I liked it not so much for what it didn't or did say about Diana's secrets but for it's view of day to day royal life. I like knowing how the Queen takes her tea- sugar cubes and never regular loose sugar. Burrell gioes on and on-hinting that Diana was going to make a grand revelation shortly after the time she died. The SAME exact thing was said about Marilyn Monroe.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Aristocracy

I did enjoy reading the book but I am not sure if it was a betrayal becasue I heard on a show that Paul wrote the book to pay back for the things the Royal Family took from him in the Old Bailey case. But when I read the book I feel he really enjoyed knowing the Princess and I liked the private life of the Queen and how he became "her rock." I did enjoy reading the book I read it in 3 days because I just enjoyed it and it felt like I was actually in the story while I was reading it. It all felt very real to me.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Royal Highness

Just curious:
- Anyone here will buy the new book?
- Anyone here would like to look at it?