"A Royal Duty" by Paul Burrell (2003)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yennie

Heir Presumptive
City
Skåne
Country
Sweden
I´ve just start to read "A royal duty" and so far its good.
It has some nice pictures of the princess aswell where she looks so happy...

what do you think of it? Is it a betrayal or a loving portrait of a friend?

I just got the book and I think it is interesting... I haven't gotten far enough to make any real judgements.. but so far I like it!

i got book also!

Sara Boyce

a real betrayal, Lady Di was so naive, she trusted this man.... she gave away to him all her secrets, she should have never done, was she never told a person does anything to get money, he got lots of money out of her trust in him , she is not here to defend herself , no1 in her family does it but her own 2 sons.

Originally posted by shannen26@Nov 16th, 2003 - 11:47 pm
a real betrayal, Lady Di was so naive, she trusted this man.... she gave away to him all her secrets, she should have never done, was she never told a person does anything to get money, he got lots of money out of her trust in him , she is not here to defend herself , no1 in her family does it but her own 2 sons.
not my problems!

Diana wanted trusted him since she called him as 'rock' because she hired him til Diana's death in 1997 but Diana got rid of staff!

Sara Boyce

A slight improvement from other royal books I've read. I think that Burrell genuinely cares for Diana. :innocent:

I haven't read it, but I'm inclined to agree with Cherry_Jubilee.

I think he really does love and care about her, and (rightly or wrongly) feels he's standing up for her.

Have seen him on Larry King a couple of times, and he has seemed sincere...

I think he cared and loved her deeply. He isnt telling it all and its nice to read a book by someone who actually knew Diana.

one picture from the book

Attachments

• rare_at_highgrove.jpg
    rare_at_highgrove.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 508
Diana and the boys at the Bristol Zoo

Attachments

• untitled_grayscale_205.jpg
    untitled_grayscale_205.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 460
in the air

Attachments

• privateairplane.jpg
    privateairplane.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 523
I like the pictures too.. I haven't read the book yet.... but could someone tell me how much did it cost? in $ thank you.
In the new Royalty magazine comes with Diana I haven't read the article but It also talks about the book.

Attachments

• Diana4.jpg
    Diana4.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 960
I cant remember how much the book costs, but you can check on amazon.com.
I think they have the price in us. dollars

Thank you it's about $15.00 -$25.00 Amazon has it at $15.00
I guess is time to read. :p

Attachments

• Diana4.jpg
    Diana4.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 955
I have read the book and I have to say it was a nice of Paul to write in such glowing terms of Diana. After reading it I would have to say no it is not a betrayal but answers alot of questions, esp about the gossip surounding his trial.

Burrell still hopes for royal meeting - 2 December 2003

Paul Burrell said he had not been in contact with the princes for six years

The former royal butler Paul Burrell has said he hopes to meet Princes William and Harry before Christmas.

Giving a public talk about his controversial book, A Royal Duty, in Wrexham, he said he would never have written about Princess Diana if he had received a single telephone call from either of her sons, and he wanted to explain himself to them.

The princes have been critical of the book and accuse Mr Burrell of betraying their mother.

But he said he did not understand why they felt like this, adding that he had let the reader "peep inside the doorway, but I haven't let you into the room".

Mr Burrell, who runs a flower shop in Holt, north Wales, gave his only UK public talk about his book at Wrexham Library on Monday evening.

The book includes intimate letters sent to Princess Diana while Mr Burrell was her butler.

He said that if you had witnessed history, you had a responsibility to write about it.

He added that he hoped to tell Princes William and Harry what he had left out of the bestseller when he met them.

Mr Burrell said he was dissapointed the princes did nothing to help him when he was wrongly accused of stealing some of Princess Diana's possessions.
Paul Burrell said Princess Diana is "smiling down on him"

He has not had any contact with them for six years and all his letters have been returned.

Mr Burrell insisted he had "personally thought" about every page he had written.

"I wrote it and thought of it as a loving tribute to the Princess and nothing else," he said.

"I haven't shared intimate secrets, they'll go with me to the grave."

Currently on a world book tour, he said it was important for him to give the talk in Wrexham, which he described as his "own backyard".

With his wife Maria and son Alexander sitting in the audience of 150 people, he talked about his life as footman to the Queen and later as Princess Diana's butler.

He said he does not know what the future holds but it is a "very interesting time".

He added that he had received "tremendous support" from the Princess's friends, and he believed that Diana was "smiling down" on him.

Attachments

• burrell203.jpg
    burrell203.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 454
Originally posted by Binny@Dec 2nd, 2003 - 10:30 pm
Burrell still hopes for royal meeting - 2 December 2003

Paul Burrell said he had not been in contact with the princes for six years

The former royal butler Paul Burrell has said he hopes to meet Princes William and Harry before Christmas.

Giving a public talk about his controversial book, A Royal Duty, in Wrexham, he said he would never have written about Princess Diana if he had received a single telephone call from either of her sons, and he wanted to explain himself to them.

The princes have been critical of the book and accuse Mr Burrell of betraying their mother.

But he said he did not understand why they felt like this, adding that he had let the reader "peep inside the doorway, but I haven't let you into the room".

Mr Burrell, who runs a flower shop in Holt, north Wales, gave his only UK public talk about his book at Wrexham Library on Monday evening.

The book includes intimate letters sent to Princess Diana while Mr Burrell was her butler.

He said that if you had witnessed history, you had a responsibility to write about it.

He added that he hoped to tell Princes William and Harry what he had left out of the bestseller when he met them.

Mr Burrell said he was dissapointed the princes did nothing to help him when he was wrongly accused of stealing some of Princess Diana's possessions.
Paul Burrell said Princess Diana is "smiling down on him"

He has not had any contact with them for six years and all his letters have been returned.

Mr Burrell insisted he had "personally thought" about every page he had written.

"I wrote it and thought of it as a loving tribute to the Princess and nothing else," he said.

"I haven't shared intimate secrets, they'll go with me to the grave."

Currently on a world book tour, he said it was important for him to give the talk in Wrexham, which he described as his "own backyard".

With his wife Maria and son Alexander sitting in the audience of 150 people, he talked about his life as footman to the Queen and later as Princess Diana's butler.

He said he does not know what the future holds but it is a "very interesting time".

He added that he had received "tremendous support" from the Princess's friends, and he believed that Diana was "smiling down" on him.
if William and Harry said SO!

both brothers dont wanted heard of new book about his death mother!

I think Paul Burrell wanted as little chat about Diana in the book but Wills would attack again like in 2000 when he told reporter three years ago about "Shadow Princess" if Wills would fires Burrell for book! like that! that fair and games! Wills knew it! because he dont wanted heard Paul's new book like that!

Sara Boyce

It's just released overhere, so I will buy it, read it and give my comments later. From what I have heard from others who have read the English version, it's not that scandal book they had expected of it after the commotion.

I think that even if he truly did care for her, he should not have betrayed her trust in this manner. Especially since it did hurt her sons the way that it did. That in itself is the ultimate betrayal. Diana loved and protected her sons more than anything, just like any mother. Personally, I think that he is a bit of a gold digger that does whatever possible to keep his name in the public eye and loves all of the attention that he has received. What a shame.

Paul Burrell

The book is nice enough. Can't decide if it's a betrayal as Diana mentioned to many friends could they please let people know what things are really like.....My only wish is that he would stop hinting he knows more......it just keeps things and gossip going. Just say your peace, Paul, and be done with it. If you know "secrets," keep them to yourself and stop saying you know them or share them with the people who she might have wanted to know---like her sons; not the tabloids or authors.......

Well, he's going to have to do it sooner rather than later if he does it at all, because, as was discussed in another thread, there's a limit to the length of time when these Diana revelations will be of interest to enough people to make it worth his while.

I agree about the book; I was pleasantly surprised by it, but all this stuff about more secrets is a bit tiresome. He said before he published the present book that he wouldn't be betraying any secrets, and he proceeded to go ahead and write about his service with the Queen and the Waleses anyway. Whether it really counts as betrayal, given that Diana did want her side of things to be known and the Burrells were on her side, is somewhat more subjective.

Agree Totally

Elspeth, you are totally right. There is a limit so he'll have to move sooner rather than later. I personally would prefer he just enjoy his money from his book and the inheritance from Diana and keep his secrets secret. He was quoted as saying if he revealed ALL he knew, he would be a multi-millionaire. Well, that speaks to motivation......I don't know if he was trying to say "I am a great person because I turn down money" or if it's a threat or if he's setting the stage for his revelations. I used to like him; now I'm beginning to find him rather unsavory. The entertaining book was one thing; the path he's embarking on now is quite another! Mary Shawn

Elspeth said:
Well, he's going to have to do it sooner rather than later if he does it at all, because, as was discussed in another thread, there's a limit to the length of time when these Diana revelations will be of interest to enough people to make it worth his while.

I agree about the book; I was pleasantly surprised by it, but all this stuff about more secrets is a bit tiresome. He said before he published the present book that he wouldn't be betraying any secrets, and he proceeded to go ahead and write about his service with the Queen and the Waleses anyway. Whether it really counts as betrayal, given that Diana did want her side of things to be known and the Burrells were on her side, is somewhat more subjective.

Today in Argentina, Burrell it spoke for the TV.

I like the book, I've read it several monyhs ago, it's true, this book has given much money to Paul Burrell, but it's true he tell us many good and moving things about Diana too, so I think the book is a bit betrayal and a bit loving portrait.

Are all the proceeds going to Mr. Burrell? Is he contributing nothing to the Princess' memory? That is poor behavior on his part......total greed. The Princess had always said what she really minded was "people making money off of her" and he had to know that. So he writes a few books and does precisely that! Good friend.......

Well, I doubt he's going to contribute to that charity fund of hers, since he was pretty much kicked out of it. Whether he's contributing to other charities is a different matter.

A royal duty
by Paul Burrell

"Much has already been written about her life, both professionally and personally, but until now no one has told her story in the way that only one man can-Paul Burrell-whom she described as both "her rock" and "the only man I can trust."

Now comes the long awaited book, A ROYAL DUTY by Paul Burrell, the man in whom she confided on matters big and small. Paul, one of the Queen's personal footmen, met Diana during one of her first visits to Balmoral Castle. And while it may have been fate that brought them together, they shared a strong bond that endured to the end of her life. Burrell became Diana's confidant and his unique perspective casts new light on the Princess of Wales and the events that would shape her life and the lives of those around her.

At the time of her death there was much speculation about Diana's future plans including her thoughts about remarrying and the possibility of relocating to America. Paul, who was one of the last people to speak with her, hopes to set the record straight for the Princess he so admired and cherished. Drawing on private conversations, personal recollections, diaries and letters, Paul has written an extraordinary account of a unique time in the history of the Royal Family..."

Yennie´s comment: This one I have read. It´s a personal story, but not "intimate". Paul was the butler and Diana was his employer.
But its still probably one of the most revealing books out there.
I liked it!
It also has some never before seen photos taken by Paul Burrel, both of the princess and the princes!

Attachments

• aroyalduty2.JPG
    aroyalduty2.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
My sister and I both enjoyed the book. I liked it not so much for what it didn't or did say about Diana's secrets but for it's view of day to day royal life. I like knowing how the Queen takes her tea- sugar cubes and never regular loose sugar. Burrell gioes on and on-hinting that Diana was going to make a grand revelation shortly after the time she died. The SAME exact thing was said about Marilyn Monroe.

Back
Top Bottom