"1015 København K" by Trine Villemann (2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I see it:

The are more republicans on the left/leftish side of the political spectrum,
including academics of the idealistic kind!

Agewise most republicans are found in the age group from 18 to 50.

Genderwise, more men are republicans than women.

Viv

From where do you have this information?

From where do you have this information?

My post had an important disclaimer:
It said: "As I see it"!

It means that this is an opinion/conclusion made on the basis of
my observations;). It is subjective inasmuch as no scientific
method has been applied to reach it.

You are most welcome to disagree if your observations
are different, but there is no way you can discount mine as
they are real!

I don't know whether there is a scientifically sound indication of the
approx. number and "dispersion" of republicans in Denmark. Maybe I
should check with the universities!

There seem to have been a few outbreaks of completely unnecessary hostilities in this thread recently. I realise this is a controversial topic and a book that appears to be sensational rather than scholarly (and no, I haven't read it), but there's no reason for hostility and sarcasm toward members with different opinions.

Since the discussion is touching on the topic itself (the future of the Danish monarchy and the role of the current Crown Prince and Princess) as well as just the book, I can understand why people who haven't read the book are contributing to the thread. However, if you haven't read the book, it might be worth saying so in your posts in the hope of avoiding misunderstandings.

Thanks!

Elspeth

Royal Library moderator

You are most welcome to disagree if your observations
are different, but there is no way you can discount mine as
they are real!

I have no intension on disagreeing with you, when it comes to your observations. They are your observations and nobody in the world can change that. I have my observations and nobody can change them unles providing solid proof of the opposite:flowers:.

But when it comes to answering a question about who the republicans in Denmark are - I find this very difficult - as their is no statistical data to refere to (anyway non that I can find). My observations are, that there is only very few republicans - but I will never be capable of providing any proof of that. I would guess - just like you - that some are leftwing. But at the same time, I know several leftwing politicians, who would never support the idea of Denmark becomming a republic.

Last edited:
This book sound's like rubbish.
billie-jo

Have you read it?

Will you do so?

I don't like to disparage what or who I don't know .......

FYI: I have been in e-mail contact the authour and her husband. They really do appear to me to be reputable and NOT complete gossip-mongers.
I am going to give the book a fair chance.
I am looking forward to reading a more objective view of The Danish Royals than all the "Palace Spin".

This book sound's like rubbish.
billie-jo
The royal family would be well advised to read the book and take it to heart. The book may be sensationalism but the sentiment is still out there. Royal families are under more scrutiny and if they are concious about their role they will welcome any criticism that may help them be more secure in their behaviour and roles.

The royal family would be well advised to read the book and take it to heart. The book may be sensationalism but the sentiment is still out there. Royal families are under more scrutiny and if they are concious about their role they will welcome any criticism that may help them be more secure in their behaviour and roles.

Not to mention the fact the Queen Margrethe has come out and admitted that she wasn't the most ideal parent.

The Royals can be objective about themselves periodically, too.

And, (the former) Mary Donaldson's father can he heard telling the cameramen, in the 8-part special on her that is now up on YT, that she now "puts on airs" since she met Fred.
Trine Villeman also writes that Mary has lost alot of her sparkle and zing, since settling into The Royal Daily Routines.

I have a strong hunch that Trine's book will be more accurate than not, like it or not.

FYI: I have been in e-mail contact the authour and her husband. They really do appear to me to be reputable and NOT complete gossip-mongers.

I have a strong hunch that Trine's book will be more accurate than not, like it or not.
Nice to know that you're keeping an open mind about this book so that your opinion will be fair and objective! ;) :rolleyes:

Nice to know that you're keeping an open mind about this book so that your opinion will be fair and objective! ;) :rolleyes:

Hehe ... well, I am hoping my opinion will be fair to both parties: Trine & Hubby PLUS fair also to The Danish Royals.

I honestly rather like Trine and her husband, from what little I actually do know about them, Mandy.

You know, I think they really wanted to put out a book that wasn't a "puff piece", and totally kow-towing the The Danish Royal Family. I don't expect that this book will be fawning, either.

Objectivity, in covering even the sacrosanct Royals and their lifestyles really does have its merit.

And poor Trine has been so SAVAGED (Caps are meant here, sorry) by The Media, too.

I truly don't think she deserves this.

However, all the above-stated: I still will be reading this book with a highly critical eye and mind, Mandy.
I understand your (and others') wariness about it.
I truly do.

-- :flowers:

The problem I have with these type of books is they always quote a source close to the palace or close to the Royal Family be it a book about the British Royals or in this case the Danish Royals. Why do they not reveal the name of the source so that it can give some sort of credibility. For that matter the person close to the source of info could be the dirt collector, the postman,
the milkman.

Stellad

The problem I have with these type of books is they always quote a source close to the palace or close to the Royal Family be it a book about the British Royals or in this case the Danish Royals. Why do they not reveal the name of the source so that it can give some sort of credibility. For that matter the person close to the source of info could be the dirt collector, the postman,
the milkman.

Stellad

I quite agree with you.

However, Trine and her Husband are in a bit of a thicket here, if you will.

They truly talked to reputable folks, who just simply did NOT want to be named! And, soooo ... what can you do?
You must honour their wishes and not name them / your sources.

You are damned if you do, or sued by Royals IF you name names.

You are damned if you don't name names, by The General Public
And, I wouldn't necessarily totally discredit the Dustman (we call them "Garbage Men", here in America) for their observations.

That is, one can learn an awful lot about someone from rummaging thru' their trash.

NOTE: I am not encouraging this activity. I am only stating what I know to be true. "Kids, don't try this at home", as they say.

-- Abbie :flowers:

I think the size of the pinch of salt you apply tends to vary depending on the reputation the author has built up over time. If Sarah Bradford says she's talked to reliable sources who wish to remain anonymous, I'm inclined to believe what she says, unlike some of the other people who've written about Diana. If Trine already has the reputation of someone who doesn't abuse the "sources close to" tactic, then there's no particular reason to disbelieve what she says. On the other hand, if she doesn't have that reputation, that does leave the reader in a bit of a quandary.

Last edited:
I think the size of the pinch of salt you apply tends to vary depending on the reputation the author has built up over time. If Sarah Bradford says she's talked to reliable sources who wish to remain anonymous, I'm inclined to believe what she says, unlike some of the other people who've written about Diana. If Trine already has the reputation of someone who doesn't abuse the "sources close to" tactic, then there's no particular reason to disbelieve what she says. On the other hand, if she doesn't, that does leave the reader in a bit of a quandary.

I see ... I see ...

But, then again Elspeth: I truly have e-mailed Trine and her husband back and forth a few times. I get a fairly good vibe about them both. I think this woman is truly stuck between a proverbial rock and a hard place, insofar as I think she wants to NAME her sources but just cannot do so, for fear of her sources retaliating, in some way ... I am speculating, right now. Trine & her husband have never told me precisely why they could never name their sources, but, she did go on record to a few Australian TV stations and tell the folks there that she couldn't cite her sources, because they simply did NOT want to be named, which actually makes perfect sense to me.

-- Abbie

This thread is being reopened with some deletions. Please try to stay on the topic of the book, and away from posts containing nothing but speculation about the motive of the author for writing it. Also, discussions that stray into details of the way the Danish royal family behaves, without reference to the book, would be more suitable in the Danish forum.

Elspeth
Library moderator

Last edited:
When is this book going to be available in English in the US? Does anyone know?

I wouldn't be surprised if it never became available in the US. The Danish Royal Family is of extremely limited interest here. You could probably it order from Amazon.com in the future.

Last edited:
I am sure the husband and children of his former flame don't agree;)

Yeah, no kidding. I think that was an awful thing to say, especially since um...these people seem to have conveiniently forgotten that Mary is Christian and Isabella's MOTHER. Mary must feel terrible reading that kind of crap about herself. Honestly, I'm starting to feel bad for her. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if it ever became available in the US. The Danish Royal Family is of extremely limited interest here. You could probably it order from Amazon.com in the future.

Exactly, and you can include most of the world at that!

In the real world the Danish royal family, their ways and doings
are only of concern and interest to a) the inhabitants of Denmark
and her commonwealth*, b) the Danish speaking minority in
South Schleswig (the northernmost part of Germany), c) the Danish
ex-pat community, and to some extend d) our "siblings" in Norway
and Sweden. (I'm not too sure about Finland and Iceland). And of
course there's a number of hard-core Mary-fans in Australia!

It goes without saying that a critical view on the Danish RF and
their shortcomings , with a debate on the future of the Danish
monarchy is only of genuine interest and concern to a limited
number of people belonging to the same language group. In fact it
is so limited that there is absolutely no justifiable reason to publish a
book in English about it!

* For historical and cultural reasons, most Faroese feel congenial
with the Norwegians and would probably prefer the Norwegian RF
as their figureheads if they had a choice.

So why would anyone want to publish a book in English, the
object of which is to highlight and broadcast the shortcomings
of an internationally insignificant royal family?
(well, insignificant compared to the Windsors and the Spanish Bourbons).

Let me give you a clue:
If I were say, an American, Brazilian, Australian or Timbuktuese member
of The royal Forums having followed the often heated discussions about
"1015-K" , and now that the author is a member of TRF ..well, then
then I might be tempted to see for myself what the fuss is about.
Of course I would! And I would probably read it as a
good gossip, like most Danes read it as a gossip!

Viv

Last edited:
* For historical and cultural reasons, most Faroese feel congenial
with the Norwegians and would probably prefer the Norwegian RF
as their figureheads if they had a choice.

Actually I think most of the faroese would prefere no royal famely at all. I can't provide any proof of that as it is only a guess of mine. I think they would prefere to become an independant nation. But you are right, they have hitorical links to Norway just as they do to Denmark. Denmark just hasn't allwayes treated this nation with the respect they derserve. In fact we have treated them rater badly.

When it comes to the rest of your point about "1015 K" - mentioned in your post above - I agree.

Last edited:
When is this book going to be available in English in the US? Does anyone know?

According to the author's English-language website, it's available on 1 August and can be purchased via her website or direct from the publisher, but it won't be available at the online outlets like Amazon. Here's the website so you can see what she says:

1015COPENHAGENK.COM

Yes, my book is now available on my website. I look forward to discussing it with all of you. So many people have expressed an opinion without having read it. I hope we can have a constructive and civilized debate about the challenges facing the world's oldest monarchy.

For Australian members...

Trine has an interview on A Current Affair at 6.30pm today (Tuesday), channel 9, discussing her book and the Danish Monarchy.

OK, very short synopsis of what was broadcast:
Frederik doesn't want to be King and it's Mary's job to turn him into kingly material. So far she hasn't done so (apparently it's all up to her) and therefore "the future of the Monarchy is at stake". However, the Danes have high hopes that Mary can achieve this task and she needs to "connect" with the people by remembering she's Australian.

Well, Fred may not want to be King, but he has to be, hasn't he?? Toughen up, stop moaning and get the job done in due course. I'm sure he will.

Poor Mary

Frederik doesn't want to be King and it's Mary's job to turn him into kingly material.

Gosh, that's a lot to expect from a commoner who has had very little to do with royalty before she met Frederik. He's known from a very young age what his future would hold and with that knowledge should be better prepared for his future role as King and, it would be expected of him to prepare his own son and heir to take over when the time comes. Perhaps as the younger royals come along and mingle more and more with the 'ordinary' people they realise that life as a Royal isn't all that it's hyped up to be. (JMO) :flowers:

For Australian members...

Trine has an interview on A Current Affair at 6.30pm today (Tuesday), channel 9, discussing her book and the Danish Monarchy.

It would be very nice if some Australian member can made us a sumary of the interview!:flowers:

It would be very nice if some Australian member can made us a sumary of the interview!:flowers:

Warren did in this post Paty :flowers: And if any non-Australian member wishes to view the segment, here is a video of the Mary segment of ACA last night.

And an article talking about the segment (there is also the same ACA video at the top of the article)

Last edited:
Frederik doesn't want to be King and it's Mary's job to turn him into kingly material. So far she hasn't done so (apparently it's all up to her) and therefore "the future of the Monarchy is at stake". However, the Danes have high hopes that Mary can achieve this task and she needs to "connect" with the people by remembering she's Australian.

Wow a 5 minute clip and I'd say that about the only point you missed is that another divorce willl cause the monarchy to crumble.
Incredible.

I watched half of the interview and shut it off. It sounds to me as though this woman is almost hoping that the monarchy fails. What a very pessimistic attitude toward the future of her country. Fred is shy, big deal, it doesn't mean that he won't carry out the role of King very admirably. He doesn't have to be the life and soul of the party (such as are other European Royals no names mentioned) as long as he is true to his country and it's future. He may not want to be King but it really isn't something he has much control over. He is going to have to make the best of it.

Back
Top Bottom