The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,345
For the same reason why people bought the book The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown.

Let's be sensible about this, people are interested, or rather curious, what these exploitive authors have to say, and in this case it's Trine. Whether you believe the contents within this book 1015 Copenhagen or not, everyone has the right to decide what they believe to be true or not. Persuading someone to another's belief is not needed. Furthermore, Trine has the right to make a living, even if her book may be on the questionable motive side.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to buy a book filled with what is more than likely "a hint of truth and a lot of fluff" (Burberry Brit) about the Danish Royal Family?
Probably for the same reason that people subscribe/buy magazines on royalty. And a lot of things in this book is probably more accurate than the things written in certain magazines abroad. (Not that it takes much).

As someone who did buy the book, did read it (as far as I can tell, I'm the only person in this thread who have done so) and didn't think it was all that bad… (until the last, very bad, very speculative chapter, which is mostly from where all the quotes are coming from) I bought it so that I could have an opinion on it on this forum and elsewhere, without relying on second or third hand sources about it.

As a former history student, I've learned to go straight to the first hand source, if possible. In this case - a discussion about a book - the first source is the book itself. I did not buy this book to get the 411 on the DRF - as far as that goes, I can read various Danish magazines, blogs and newspapers, or this forum, because nothing new and outstanding information was provided in here.

In short, it is a book I bought to discuss - not as a reference work on the Danish royal family. If it had been written by someone who didn't have a background in gossip journalism, I'd've been more inclined to treat it as a reference book.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Cool WHY on .... Earth (or any planet for that matter)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to buy a book filled with what is more than likely "a hint of truth and a lot of fluff" (Burberry Brit) about the Danish Royal Family? Do we really want the Trine Villemanns in this world to profit from such as this. For every book sold Trine Villeman receives royalties. Just something to think about....

Cat

Well, Cat:

Since you ASKED, ...

The Authour of this book is reputed to have been quite well informed, and NOT at all Tabloidesque. Trouble is, people ARE bugged by books that let too muchy "Daylight in upon the Magic of Royalty" because ... to do so, and, to give the appearance of being too critical is ... well ... too taboo!
You know, people either think you should only be positive or ... (dare I say it?) keep one's mouth firmly shut.

I will read the book for ENTERTAINMENT's sake and with a jaundiced eye.

I have been e-mailing the authour and she appears to me to be most sound, and not at all "out for blood". She also appears to me to be "out for truth" and even Royal Families have their pecadillos and problems, you know?

-- Abbie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Well, Cat:

Since you ASKED, ...

The Authour of this book is reputed to have been quite well informed, and NOT at all Tabloidesque. Trouble is, people ARE bugged by books that let too muchy "Daylight in upon the Magic of Royalty" because ...
Reputed to be well informed? Sorry, by whom? Trine Willemann?

Not at all tabloidesque **cough* - if you say so

IMHO Trine Willemann comes across as very self-promoting - and not at all sound as a journalist; she is very fond of describing herself as someone people like to hit ('øretæveindbydende'); she is probably right.
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 01-16-2008, 05:22 PM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Cool UserDane ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Reputed to be well informed? Sorry, by whom? Trine Willemann?

Not at all tabloidesque **cough* - if you say so

IMHO Trine Willemann comes across as very self-promoting - and not at all sound as a journalist; she is very fond of describing herself as someone people like to hit ('øretæveindbydende'); she is probably right.
In describing herself that way, as someone people would like to hit, she could have been taking pre-emptive strikes and making fun of herself, too.
Sort of laugh first at yourself and then let the world follow, you know?

Also, I have heard where her book is rather accurate ... I can also well understand why it would also be scorned, and villified, for its candour

I am looking forward to reading it, in English, to be honest with you.

I can understand why CP Mary is upset with the book, as well. It might have been too honest for her comfort (?)

You appear to have gotten a kick out of my post. GLAD I could be of entertainment to you, and I mean that ... NICE to know people can see the lighter side of life.

-- Abbie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 01-16-2008, 06:02 PM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Also, I have heard where her book is rather accurate ... I can also well understand why it would also be scorned, and villified, for its candour
Abbie, I promise to be serious now
I have not read the book - only some of the really scorching reviews of it in other media in Denmark (from the few things I knew about Trine Villemann before this book, I know I would probably never pay money to buy a book by her ).
And that is not because all these media are afraid or anything of agreeing with any sort of critism of the royal family. Apparently it was just substandard in its workmanship - not least in handling the sources.
Who has described the book as accurate? [/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
I can understand why CP Mary is upset with the book, as well. It might have been too honest for her comfort (?)
Why would she feel that? In the greater picture she is the newest arrival to the family, and she has done splendidly in the few years she has been here. Of course she can feel sad for others in the family if they are critised but they all know that's part of the game as royals. Happens to all royal families and why should the Danish be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
You appear to have gotten a kick out of my post. GLAD I could be of entertainment to you, and I mean that ... NICE to know people can see the lighter side of life.
I try!

-- Abbiec
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to buy a book filled with what is more than likely "a hint of truth and a lot of fluff" (Burberry Brit) about the Danish Royal Family? Do we really want the Trine Villemanns in this world to profit from such as this. For every book sold Trine Villeman receives royalties. Just something to think about....

Cat
My life is much to short to read that book. Reading this thread is much more entertaning
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Cool HI there UserDane ...

Wow, Folks really are taking sides in this book issue, to the point where I would feel as though I were committing a crime were I to buy it and add it to my collection

I don't know ... I just like knowing that Royalty is a LEETLE more like the rest of us, and other families than one might think ...

As for the authour being villified in your Press?
Yes, I can imagine she might be ... Your Royals may well be popular enough for The Citizens of Denmark NOT to want to see them at all made out to be human, or to be criticised!

As for CP Mary possibly objecting to the book, on grounds of it being too accurate? Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you ... I was only surmising, guessing that "the truth hurts".

-- Abbie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Harmony's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tropical city somewhere near, Singapore
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Wow, Folks really are taking sides in this book !
As for CP Mary possibly objecting to the book, on grounds of it being too accurate? Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you ... I was only surmising, guessing that "the truth hurts".

-- Abbie
The possiblity that Mary objects to the book? Huh? I have heard Mette Marit did some objection to some of the things one author surpose to write on her biography and the book was cancelled but Mary I never hear her mentioned any objection . In fact from what I gathered that what was written about Mary was quite good compared to the things written about Frederik and Alexandra.

Excerpts from part of the Berlingske onterview Dec 2007. Credit Danish Royal Watchers
Quote:
Q: But it can’t be fun to wake up to different stories in the coloured press? Do you ever feel like talking back?

The Crown Princess: “Some days are more fun than others. But no, there’s no reason to talk back. If we had to comment on this article one day and that article the next day, we wouldn’t have time to do anything else.”

Q: Is it the same with a book like Ekstra Bladet’s1015 København K” which is entirely based on anonymous sources?
.........
.........
The Crown Princess: “Yes, you can only try to get a laugh out of it, and as Frederik says, we know the way it is in our real world, how much we love each other and the lovely family we have created. We just have to look each other in the eyes and say: ‘That is not true!’ Fortunately, you see that around the country, shops won’t sell the magazines if they cross the line and you see book shops who won’t sell that book in their shop. They make up their own minds about this.”
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:25 AM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Cool I appreciate what you "say", here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
The possiblity that Mary objects to the book? Huh? I have heard Mette Marit did some objection to some of the things one author surpose to write on her biography and the book was cancelled but Mary I never hear her mentioned any objection . In fact from what I gathered that what was written about Mary was quite good compared to the things written about Frederik and Alexandra.

Excerpts from part of the Berlingske onterview Dec 2007. Credit Danish Royal Watchers
I appreciate your statements about CP Mary ...

I think holding her own against any book written about her now-Royal life must be very hard, indeed! I think CP Mary might be covering up her pain, in stating that nothing written about her in the book is true, however.
I mean she can't very well come out and declare or admit: "Yes, our marriage really IS a sham, and I am dreadfully unhappy ...", can she?
You know, she has to put a brave face on things, and soldier on, as the former Queen Noor of Jordan wrote in her Auto-Bio, "Leap of Faith", she also had to do, during her first few years as an American Queen of an Arabic country.

When the going gets tough, the tough ... TOUGH it out! (Abbie's version of a time-worn saying -- )

Here's what I think is the most fascinating thing about Trine's book, as far as I know it to be: That the Danish Royal sons cannot marry Danes! What's UP with THAT crazy-sounding rule?
Why does Queen Margrethe insist on her Sons marrying "foreigners"?
Seems odd to me ...


-- Abbie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:37 AM
Harmony's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tropical city somewhere near, Singapore
Posts: 148
Anything that is untruth will cause some pain to any one but where the Royals and politicians are concerned they know what is like to to be in the limelight-stories created to sell and make money. So they know how to cope with gossips and lies and with this type of media and tend to ignore them. If they are to take every little bit of gossips seriously every day , they would not have time for anything as CPss Mary has mentioned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 AM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Wow, Folks really are taking sides in this book issue, to the point where I would feel as though I were committing a crime were I to buy it and add it to my collection

I don't know ... I just like knowing that Royalty is a LEETLE more like the rest of us, and other families than one might think ...

As for the authour being villified in your Press?
Yes, I can imagine she might be ... Your Royals may well be popular enough for The Citizens of Denmark NOT to want to see them at all made out to be human, or to be criticised!

As for CP Mary possibly objecting to the book, on grounds of it being too accurate? Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you ... I was only surmising, guessing that "the truth hurts".

-- Abbie
I dunno.... I think some 'folks' more wonder why other folks seem so eager to give credence to whatever bad stuff is published. Personally, I cannot see that Villeman has distinguised herself within her trade for other than gossip and by displaying decidedly 'fish-wifely' tendencies in her way of handling journalism. Now, if Thøger Seidenfaden, Georg Metz or Lisbeth Knudsen had published a critical book about the royal family, I would have rushed to the bookseller's to get my copy - knowing that whether I agreed with the necessity of or the conclusions in the book, the subject would be treated professionally.
And that is the heart of the matter - we need critical books - on everything, including royal families. But why can't they be written by competent authors? Why do we have to make do with 'authors' who think that hearsay consitutes a good basis for a book? Quality if you please !
If I want gossip with numerous (though funny in their own way ) references to anynomous sources, I just turn to the Internet - I don't pay for it.
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 01-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I dunno.... I think some 'folks' more wonder why other folks seem so eager to give credence to whatever bad stuff is published. Personally, I cannot see that Villeman has distinguised herself within her trade for other than gossip and by displaying decidedly 'fish-wifely' tendencies in her way of handling journalism. Now, if Thøger Seidenfaden, Georg Metz or Lisbeth Knudsen had published a critical book about the royal family, I would have rushed to the bookseller's to get my copy - knowing that whether I agreed with the necessity of or the conclusions in the book, the subject would be treated professionally.
And that is the heart of the matter - we need critical books - on everything, including royal families. But why can't they be written by competent authors? Why do we have to make do with 'authors' who think that hearsay consitutes a good basis for a book? Quality if you please !
If I want gossip with numerous (though funny in their own way ) references to anynomous sources, I just turn to the Internet - I don't pay for it.
UserDane - well said. I couldn't agree more .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Here's what I think is the most fascinating thing about Trine's book, as far as I know it to be: That the Danish Royal sons cannot marry Danes! What's UP with THAT crazy-sounding rule?
Why does Queen Margrethe insist on her Sons marrying "foreigners"?
Seems odd to me ...


-- Abbie
This is just one more of those undocumented postulates made by Trine and has no basis in reality. So when you call it a crazy-sounding rule - I totally agree with you. Knowing that Queen Magrethe is refered to as having an intellectual capacity above averege, I am sure her focus isn't on nationality - but on personality. Insisting on an "only by Trine Villeman invented rule" would be plain stupid - and this the queen surely is not.

It is true that danish successors to the throne has a strong history of marrying foreigners - but it isn't a rule written down anywhere. Anyway - for my part I really can't see what is wrong with marrying an australien, a swede or for that matter a pygmy - what matters is the personality and Mary has got what it takes.

If some few people outside Denmark wants to bye the book when it is publiced in english - they are welcomed to do so. But in my oppinion it is a wast of money.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Cool Hi there, Lilla :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
This is just one more of those undocumented postulates made by Trine and has no basis in reality. It isn't the nationality that matters - but the personality. It is true that danish successors to the throne has a history of marrying foreigners - but it isn't a rule written down anywhere. For my part I really can't see what is wrong with marrying an australien, a swede or for that matter a pygmy - what matters is the personality and Mary has got what it takes.
If some few people outside Denmark wants to bye the book when it is publiced in english - the are welcomed to do so. But in my oppinion it is a wast of money.
Mmmmm, alright. I appreciate and understand your stance, on this issue.
I reckon most Danes are behind their Royal Family 100 % then.

About members of that family NOT marrying folks of their own kind, fellow-Danes? Well, is certainly seems as though that is the case. It IS odd that all the Danish girlfriends of the two brothers, Joachim and Frederik, have been rejected as possible marriage choices, by someone ... if not their own Mother & Father. You'd have thought that one of them would have married his own kind, if you will, were there not such a "rule" in place? Look at Joachim, for instance: He married an Asian woman, from Hong kong then ... he went on to a Frenchwoman. 2 foreigners in a row? Seems odd.

NOTE: I am not against marrying outside one's own people! No, not at all! I am commenting on the fact, or rather what I observe that, members of the Danish Royal family do tend NOT to marry Danish People, which I think is a little strange. MOST Royalty do tend to marry their own citizens, or so I have found to be the case.

-- Abbie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
members of the Danish Royal family do tend NOT to marry Danish People, which I think is a little strange. MOST Royalty do tend to marry their own citizens, or so I have found to be the case.

-- Abbie
You are right - it can look strange. Perhaps the reason is - they don't have a choice - danish people simply know them to well. Non of us wants to get married to any of them. Therefor they have to look abroad in order to get a spouse. Of cause I am only joking..............

Actually I have alwayes wondered why for instance the BRF alwayes seems to marry their own. I like the freshness of someone comming ind from outside. This brings new ways of thinking witch only a mix of different nationalityes can provide. I find this healthy, not only for The DRF and the monarchy, but for the nation as a hole. Both Henrik, Alexandra and Mary (and hopefully Marie to) have brought this freshness - and I like it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
You are right - it can look strange. Perhaps the reason is - they don't have a choice - danish people simply know them to well. Non of us wants to get married to any of them. Therefor they have to look abroad in order to get a spouse. Of cause I am only joking..............

Actually I have alwayes wondered why for instance the BRF alwayes seems to marry their own. I like the freshness of someone comming ind from outside. This brings new ways of thinking witch only a mix of different nationalityes can provide. I find this healthy, not only for The DRF and the monarchy, but for the nation as a hole. Both Henrik, Alexandra and Mary (and hopefully Marie to) have brought this freshness - and I like it.
Yes, an INFUSION of New Blood does help to spruce up, if you will, any old and tired Regime, huh?
I see how and why THAT family might want to expand its horizons and let in others.

Why do The Brit Royals tend to marry their own Kin? For safety reasons, mainly. They tend to want to marry people from good backgrounds, figuring that they'd know what they are getting into, being around all those "Toffs", and Stiffs, ha!
No, I kid ...

I think there is a fair amount of prejudice, if you will, against marrying "outsiders" in The British Royal Family. They don't take well to Foreigners, still. Marrying an American, for a Royal, would NEVER be allowed still.
A shame and sad, but true.
I suppose, when push comes to shove, everyone naturally gravitates towards marrying there own Kin, and kind FIRST.

-- Abbie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
I think there is a fair amount of prejudice, if you will, against marrying "outsiders" in The British Royal Family. They don't take well to Foreigners, still. Marrying an American, for a Royal, would NEVER be allowed still.
A shame and sad, but true.


-- Abbie
Who knows - when Christian and Isabelle are grown ups. One of them might want to marry an American - what a charming thought. It would bring our two nations even closer then we are today.........
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM
HRH Abigail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 357
Cool Closer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Who knows - when Christian and Isabelle are grown ups. One of them migth wont to marry an American - what a charming thougt. It would bring our two nations even clouser then we are today.........
Yes, the rules could well be changed by then, eh?
It'd be GREAT to see Danes marrying more of us, in America!
One of my parents' GREAT friends, the Artist Kenneth Callahan, married his Danish nurse, Beth, FYI. Both Kenneth and Beth were great friends of my folks, in fact. Beth used to have me house-sit her Condo, in fact.

Moving along ...

America and Denmark have always been Buds, no?
I think so.
We've never been taught otherwise.
Have you?

Interesting that our President and your Queen have NOT visited each other all that much over the years ... We have never seen Denmark as a country with which we are obligated to do Diplomacy, and I am not meaning this in a bad way, at all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
America and Denmark have always been Buds, no?
I think so.
We've never been taught otherwise.
Have you?

Interesting that our President and your Queen have NOT visited each other all that much over the years ... We have never seen Denmark as a country with which we are obligated to do Diplomacy, and I am not meaning this in a bad way, at all.
In the world of diplomacy Denmark is only a small country - and as USA and Denmark alwayes have been buds - I don't find it strange that the different presidents of USA preferes to put their effort elsewhere. Bill Clinton did come to visit Denmark once and he held a public speach on one of the main squars in Copenhagen - and the squar simply got crowded up with applauding danes. After he ended his presedency he has come to Denmark a lot - I guss twice a year. Your present president actually once celebrated his birthday having a banquet hosted by the queen at Fredensborg.

But it usually is our primeminister who i visiting The USA.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]