The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you very much norwegianne for your review on this book.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Courtier

I thank you for your review, also, Norwegianne,

I am reflecting on how the intimate details of my large and extended family would appear to an outsider. Of course, we're far from being celebrities and no one would be interested in our little lives, but your review truly gives me pause. Families quarrel and grumble about each other all of the time, but that doesn't mean that there's no genuine love and respect between everyone.

Just as an aside: I think that your indignation at CP Haakon's name being spelt incorrectly is justified. A name is a name is a name, and it's what identifies us. I know that I sometimes get the spelling of Scandinavian royals wrong but that's due to my linguistic ignorance (how admirable I think it that so many of you read and write English so very well) but I think that a professional wordsmith shouldn't fall into the same, sloppy trap.

Overall, I thought yours a very good and accessible review and I remain grateful that you took the trouble to read the book so carefully and report on it in such detail, given that you were on a train trip

Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks norwegianne for the great info about the book. It does sound interesting to read as long as one is careful in their approach, I think.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Courtier

Thanks a lot Norwigianne for your assesment of the book and not least the very thorough summary you have made above.

As far as I can understand, the main part of the book portrayes the DRF on the basis of circumstances already known to the public (in Denmark) via different more or less serious sources - it is only the last chaper that can be decribed as controversial and rather undocumentet.

I still woun't read the book myselfe, but I have enjoyed reading your posts.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Nobility

I as well would like to have the opportunity to thank norwegianne for taking the time to share her review of this latest book.

Very enjoyable .
Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Is this book translated into English? If not, too bad :(
I would like to read it. I am very interested in the Danish Royal Family, so I usually like to read all the news about them.
Thanks for your reviews!
Old 10-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Norwegianne, thanks for your review of the book. I thought it was going to be a much worser book & thought of not buying it, but if it does which I hope be translated into english, ill definitely grab myself a copy.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Thanks a lot Norwigianne for your assesment of the book and not least the very thorough summary you have made above.

As far as I can understand, the main part of the book portrayes the DRF on the basis of circumstances already known to the public (in Denmark) via different more or less serious sources - it is only the last chaper that can be decribed as controversial and rather undocumentet.
You're welcome.

As far as I can gather, yes. In the main part she uses heavily of the official biographies, along with the anonymous sources - while in the last chapter, it is more Trine Villemann's opinion of how/what the royal family should do. I don't think it is necessarily a bad chapter, she has her points - but it is jarring in the context of the rest of the book, in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 AM

I am befuddled most of all by the following quote:

"What you have to remember is when Frederik grew up he didn't really have a family of his own, so what happened was when he met a new girlfriend he was almost adopted into that girlfriend's family." Trine Villemann (SOURCE)

What does Villemann mean precisely, by saying that Fred "didn't have a family of his own"? What a bizarre thing to say! He grew up with two healthy alive parents, a brother, a flock of cousins from all directions from his two aunt's families, aunts, uncles, his beloved grandmother...... no family? What on earth does this author mean by such a statement?

If you take out Frederik's name, you would imagine she is speaking of an orphaned guy. But Fred is not an orphan. What is she playing at?

This author has an official website: villemann.com (only in Danish)
Old 10-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
If you take out Frederik's name, you would imagine she is speaking of an orphaned guy. But Fred is not an orphan. What is she playing at?This author has an official website: villemann.com (only in Danish)
Thanks for the link. I just had a peep. It seems it isn't sufficient for her to make a mockery of the DRF. Her webside opens with a patronizing statement about all danes mixed with self-asserting declaration upon her own wonderfull personality.

As she seems to dislike Denmark, danes and the DRF so much, it is only understandable that she is living abroad. I do pitty the people of Athens though,that they have to have her living among them
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

she not very nice in my opinion and she need's too
stop.

billie-jo
Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Aristocracy

She is just trying to make some money.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope that this book is never read by any of the main players I would hate to see, even in the tiniest way , a repeat of the public invasion of the Wales situation. Frederick and Mary seem happy the Queen did the best given her position all is not perfect anywhere but I think they all do a great job.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:46 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Amber Petty was on the Hamish and Andy Show (I think that's what it's called) on the radio around half an hour ago discussing the book. She says that it's all just rubbish and that M&F have never been happier. Amber also said that Villemann is just looking for a quick buck with this book
Old 10-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

and Amber is looking for a quick buck with appearing on such a show maybe.... ?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Courtier

Well, she's a working woman who does a lot of journalistic type work so far as I know. I don't think it remarkable that she, a known friend of the Princess, is asked to comment. I hold no brief for Amber at all, but I think that it's appropriate that she be asked for her views. From last I heard, she had a radio program of her own, though I could be mistaken,
Old 10-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Amber Petty was on the Hamish and Andy Show (I think that's what it's called) on the radio around half an hour ago discussing the book. She says that it's all just rubbish and that M&F have never been happier. Amber also said that Villemann is just looking for a quick buck with this book
Well done Amber. As the book seems to have made some impact in Australia, it is nice to know, that their is a native australian who is a lot more informed about reality then this Mrs Slander Villeman.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

How could it make any sort of impact when the book isn't even translated into English? The hoopla surrounding the book in Australia is based on heresay. By the way, is Amber fluent in Danish? If not, how would she know what the book has to say? Did she read it from the beginning to end? Or is she basing her thoughts on what others told her? I believe it's the latter. Furthermore, I understand that she would denounce the book because she is close with Mary, but the fact that she calls it "rubbish" without reading it is really... odd (for lack of a better word.)

I firmly believe that members who trash 1015 Kobenhaven, without reading it, have a very weak argument in the first place.

Read the book first, then decide. Don't take others thoughts and opinions about it... read the book.

As a supporter of the DRF I would read it despite the controversy. I would like to know what Trine has to say that's all.

By the way, it seems that Lotte from Australia is having it out with the author, Trine, on her blog. Read it here.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
How could it make any sort of impact when the book isn't even translated into English? The hoopla surrounding the book in Australia is based on heresay. By the way, is Amber fluent in Danish? If not, how would she know what the book has to say? Did she read it from the beginning to end? Or is she basing her thoughts on what others told her? I believe it's the latter. Furthermore, I understand that she would denounce the book because she is close with Mary, but the fact that she calls it "rubbish" without reading it is really... odd (for lack of a better word.)

Very good points about Amber and her skills in Danish! If you ask me it's kind of a bad move for anyone close with Fred or Mary or the Danish RF for that matter to make any comment about the book. It's only adding fuel to the flame! I can certainly see that these are not good comments when you look deeper. I personally think its better to not contribute to the whole debate if one is close with any member of the Danish RF, the press is crafty and they will look for hidden clues in Amber's comments.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810 View Post
Very good points about Amber and her skills in Danish! If you ask me it's kind of a bad move for anyone close with Fred or Mary or the Danish RF for that matter to make any comment about the book. It's only adding fuel to the flame! I can certainly see that these are not good comments when you look deeper. I personally think its better to not contribute to the whole debate if one is close with any member of the Danish RF, the press is crafty and they will look for hidden clues in Amber's comments.
I think the same. After hearing Amber's words some people may think "Why is she saying this? Why did they feel the need to ask Amber to defend them?"
In this kind of situations, close friends or siblings should keep quiet. I would love to read this book. Not because I want to read bad things about Frederik and Mary (they are my favorite royal couple!) but because I like to read everything about Mary. I've bought two books, written in english, about Mary and I would buy this one too.