"1015 København K" by Trine Villemann (2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow Norwegianne, if you could do us the favor of discussing the books after you read it, I know that I would appreciate it greatly. I am unsure if and when this book would be available for purchase in the U.S. or in English, and sadly admit that my curiosity is piqued... only because it has stirred up such a fuss. I'd like to know what the contents are - and not how the media presents them as you would.

I read a translation of a review of the book : It was said to be a big load of crap. All anonoumeous sources:rolleyes: and POLITIKEN (some danish newspaper) is doubting whether this Ms. Helleman hasn't made these details and stories up ... Hmm ?

If I'm going to be debating the contents of it, I want to know what the contents are - and not what the media presents them as.

Spot on!

Added to that what the media picks and chooses which content to dispute. Same argument made by those who discredit the author without reading this controversial book.

If anything the Danish media is helping Trine's book garner interest instead of squashing it.

I am a supporter of the DRF, and a person who is interested in reading 1015 Kobenhaven just to see what the uproar is all about.

Danish Royal Watches website has another translation of the book review made by Politiken.DK :

Danish Royal Watchers: Danish monarchy & Politiken interview with Trine Villemann

Thanks for this,Linda.

If I were Alexandra I would seriously consider suing the author if this report is correct. To suggest, as does Villemann, that Alexandra saw Joachim simply as a meal ticket for her and her parents is actionable, in my opinion. If the translation is accurate, it's also somewhat racist in its implications, I believe.

As for her call to the Queen to abdicate, one wonders why? Is age a deterrence to duty? Is the Queen showing signs of dementia? Is she otherwise unwell? Is she so unpopular that it would be in the best interests of the state?

Queen Elizabeth is sometimes beseiged by similar calls for her abdication, too. Such a bloody cheek, I call it. Irrespective of her age, she performs her monarchical duties with dedication and application. I have never heard that the Queen of Denmark does otherwise.

I would like to read this book as from the very little which I've seen translated, this author appears to have read the woeful English muck-raking tabloids and merely transposed the names of the BRF to those of the DRF.

I was thinking along the same lines as Polly. According to the portion I read at the DRW site. In one breath the author talks about how unprepared Frederik is to be king. And how he does not really want to be king. But yet the author says she thinks it's time for the Queen to hand things over to Fred. And that this should happen no later then 2012. According to the author she says Fred does not know what to do with his future role but yet she wants him to start his reign. A bit contradicting is it not?

Well, I have only limited access to this entire matter so I shall be cautious not to comment too much. But I am curious to hear from those of you that are planning on reading the book.

Oh and does anyone know about Mary breaking down in tears on the dance floor? That was mentioned on the DRW site but I was a little confused about the whole thing. When did that happen and what is the story there? Or is there a story there?

I know, it's a rather odd argument people trying to make?

As for its truth of the book,I don't see why keeping the sources unnamed automatically means it is all fabrications. Anybody who did contribute to this book, whether they were a current staff member or ex, are hardly going to wish to be named. The would definitely lose their job and probably be the recipient of some sort of legal action.

After all, I've never seen anybody question the truth of the Jean Sasson "Princess" series; could that be because they fit in with people's prejudices about the Saudis? Quite probably......

I think that this last point of yours is well made, Little Star. However, I read a book some years ago which, I think, was called "Princess" but I don't remember that Sasson was the author. This book was written by a female member of the family and because of this I was inclined to believe what it said, particularly as, at the end of the book, she was living back in Saudi Arabia. Truthfully, I found it very shocking, even taking into account the difference in cultures, religion and government.

As for the propriety or otherwise of using un-named sources, I think that it's incumbent on those who are offering salacious or disparaging 'inside information' about others to stand by their comments. It should not be possible to attack and diminish anyone's reputation, be it prince or pauper, without even an iota of evidence, an established source, and/or confirmation from impartial witnesses. To me, they're basic requirements of fair play and decency.

I have no difficulty with the DRF's being held to account where and when it's reasonable and justified and to my mind, this especially means when the well-being of the state is in question, which, of course, could take many forms. I do draw the line, nevertheless, at personal abuse and character-assassination, without indisputable evidence.

As someone whose Head of State is a Queen, I am very aware of how easy it is to attack, usually anonymously, everything about our monarch, including her family: easy targets all.

:eek: Are some people really planning to storm the palace and rescue Mary?

If this book is translated into English, I'd read it. Like others have said, there's probably a hint of truth and a lot of fluff.

If anything, this book makes me wonder how well Mary is really coping. Even money and possessions and trips get old after a while. I'm sure her children are great source of comfort to her, but it must be really hard being the Crown Princess of Denmark, especially since she wasn't born into a royal life. But I do think Mary was chosen so to speak, so I hope she can deal with it.

I mentioned earlier that I had bought the book – and would read it on my train ride. Said, and done. What are my impressions? (Please note – I read the book once, and these are just stream of consciousness thoughts put together immediately after reading the book, on the train. If I read it again, I assume I might consider some things differently. )

After having read it, I find that I don’t fully agree with the reviews I’ve read. Undoubtedly there are more verifiable facts in there other than the year of Margrethe’s ascension, and whatever the rest was. Villemann does not just use the anonymous sources for her book, but also the things the royals have said themselves in authorized biographies and interviews. But at the same time, the whole book should also be taken with pinch of salt because of all the anonymous sources.

Especially events where I doubt there were many present – such as Ingrid’s conversation with Margrethe on Henrik (Oh, Daisy, you’ll think about it – won’t you?) – I find reason to take with an extra pinch of salt, even if a servant might have overheard.

Something I found jarring – but that undoubtedly won’t matter to anyone but me – was her tendency to refer to Crown Prince Haakon as Håkon. It is indeed true that his name is pronounced with an Å – but it is written with a double a. It’s the same sort of miniscule errors that I find in Hello profiles, that make me wonder how much else hasn’t been caught as errors.

On the positive side – for me as a Norwegian – I think this book has to be one of the few times in Danish media where Mette-Marit and Haakon are compared to Mary and Frederik – and actually come out on top. Nothing bad about Frederik and Mary, but given Mette-Marit’s past, it is interesting to note that Villemann thinks she is finally getting ahead in her role as a Crown Princess.

And while Haakon and Mette-Marit’s oldest daughter, quite verifiably, is called Ingrid – she was not named for Queen Ingrid of Denmark, but Mette-Marit’s grandmother as well as a former Norwegian queen.

But back to the Danish royals. Margrethe’s role as a mother is heavily touched upon, and given the many other discussions on the subject, I’m inclined to think that at least some of Villemann’s assertations might be correct – i.e. Margrethe herself mentioning that she is not much for smaller children, and she prefers to be able to talk to them, as well as Henrik and Frederik’s various interviews on the topic of the childhood of the princes. I think Henrik’s role as a father falls somewhere between Villemann’s pictures, and what he, himself has mentioned earlier.

Villemann mentions that Joachim seems to have weathered the way they were raised in a different way than Frederik – and while she does comment that the lack of parental presence in their lives can be worked into their current lives. She mentions Frederik’s perceived laziness and reluctantness to be king, to use her words, but also points out that Joachim received the same upbringing, and he works royal duties in addition to running his own farm.

It is indeed true that Joachim is one of the “heroes” in this book. While the trips to the discos he engaged in before and while the process of the separation and divorce from Alexandra was a fact, are mentioned – they are not critiqued as heavily as Frederik’s similar trips on town while being out on official missions abroad. Villemann seems to admire Joachim’s abilities in regards to improving his public image.

The divorce is touched upon – but I found it unclear whether the alleged secret that everybody in the circle of friends know about actually was Joachim’s or Alexandra’s secret – but it is of little consequence in the long run – the divorce happened, and one of them is remarried and the other one is also heading that way.

I also found it interesting to note the so-called coldness between Margrethe and Benedikte – Benedikte taking after her mother and being the “most royal” in the royal family (Ingrid was called the most royal in the Swedish royal family) – while Margrethe being more creative. It is difficult to know what is the case and what isn’t – Margrethe herself notes them having problems as kids – but that it was resolved as adults. Of course, spats are normal in every family.

It is interesting that something I perceive as would have been problematic if anyone else had tried it – Ingrid manipulating the politicians around the time of the new constitution – isn’t critiqued as much in the book as I think it would’ve been if someone other than Queen Ingrid had tried it today.

Ingrid is also noted for being an amazing grandmother, who gathered her grandchildren around her on Gråsten, and ensured that they would be friends and connected to each other as adults. It is also noted that she allegedly didn’t care much for the Miller family when Marie-Chantal married her grandson – and how they flaunted their wealth. (Marie-Chantal is, allegedly, not very popular in the circle of cousins, either).

Villemann also touches base on the trouble between King Frederik and his younger brother, Knud, and how this touches onto the families even today. One of Knud’s children (it doesn’t say who) talks about it. I think an important thing here today in regards to the old fight and the family trees growing apart – how many of us keep in touch with our cousins and second cousins after the parent generation passes away? From personal experience, I would say that you mostly keep in touch with the ones who you either like a lot, or live close to. It isn’t mandatory to keep in touch with everyone who shares DNA with you.

As for Mary – Villemann seems to have a philosophical approach to her. She is here – and she gives Frederik what he wants – a family. It is mentioned that up until that point, Frederik relates to his girlfriends as a family while he has them, and were friendly with their fathers/brothers, and when the relationship ends he is still friendly with them. I don’t think there is anything really bad written about Mary in the book (for those who wondered) except for her Danish, on the other hand, Prince Henrik’s level of Danish is somewhat put to its right in there.

It is mentioned that Frederik is fantastic in audiences with one or two people, or smaller groups – but become a bit more uncertain and fumbling when he stands in front of an audience, while Mary is the opposite. Villemann thinks that Mary might have a perception as to how a princess should appear, either from before the marriage, or from the “princess school” she was put through, and that shines through on occasions.

Until the last chapter, I see it as a relatively enjoyable read and an excellent way to spend an hour or two on the train if one has nothing else to do.

In the last chapter, however, Trine Villemann seems to have gone through the
“What’s your opinion of Frederik and Mary” here on TRF – as well as the thread about the amount of work Frederik and Mary does – and the book turns more to her personal opinion.

It isn’t because she’s critiquing the royal family in that chapter – just so we’re getting that out of the way – but more how she turns a book that has been mainly a “biographical” account of unknown sources, articles, and royal accounts in connection with biographies et. al. up until that point, to something more reminiscent of a poster on a message board – or a blog. It simply lacks the relative objectivity of the previous chapters. Villemann begins to mix in her personal opinions, which have been relatively absent in the previous chapters.

I am not a fan of that in this context. It feels messy. She could have settled for doing the reporting from the actual sources – Ekstrabladet on the amount of work Frederik and Mary does – and so on, instead of dragging her opinion on the fact that she thinks there are too many people in the Danish succession into the mix – and how to resolve it - by cutting out Elisabeth, Benedikte, Nikolai & Felix. Into the mix she throws some claims that Benedikte should be allowed to live full-time in Germany with her husband, Elisabeth should be allowed to live in southern Europe if she wants to, and Nikolai & Felix should be allowed to live wherever they want.

I’ve done some research – and I can’t find anywhere that says these four people have to live in Denmark. Lex Regia says that they have to ask the monarch for permission when going abroad – but not that they can’t do it, which is what I get from Villemann’s statements. As a Norwegian I do get cutting down on the royal family, but two of these people will disappear from the list from natural causes in not too long (although one does not wish them ill). It seems rather pointless to cut them at this point. It also seems a bit pointless to try to regulate the DRF in who can be in line to the throne and who cannot. History has shown that the DRF by way of the monarch mandating the marriages, have been perfectly able to control itself in that regard.

I also fail to see what the public needs with a complete accounting of the royal bookkeeping – as long as we get the general overview over how much they get, and how much goes where – I really don’t care what Joachim personal’s portion goes to.

I would recommend this book – simply to get a more alternative perspective. It isn’t very sugary, but I wouldn’t say it is overly speculative either. I seem to use the word “relatively” a lot in this post, but I think it is a word that fits it. It is relatively enjoyable book – much like reading a bit more critical version of Billedbladet, but not as critical as Ekstrabladet, to put it in a comparison to the two outlets of royal news in Denmark.

Thank you very much norwegianne for your review on this book.

I thank you for your review, also, Norwegianne,

I am reflecting on how the intimate details of my large and extended family would appear to an outsider. Of course, we're far from being celebrities and no one would be interested in our little lives, but your review truly gives me pause. Families quarrel and grumble about each other all of the time, but that doesn't mean that there's no genuine love and respect between everyone.

Just as an aside: I think that your indignation at CP Haakon's name being spelt incorrectly is justified. A name is a name is a name, and it's what identifies us. I know that I sometimes get the spelling of Scandinavian royals wrong but that's due to my linguistic ignorance (how admirable I think it that so many of you read and write English so very well) but I think that a professional wordsmith shouldn't fall into the same, sloppy trap.

Overall, I thought yours a very good and accessible review and I remain grateful that you took the trouble to read the book so carefully and report on it in such detail, given that you were on a train trip

Thanks norwegianne for the great info about the book. It does sound interesting to read as long as one is careful in their approach, I think.

Thanks a lot Norwigianne for your assesment of the book and not least the very thorough summary you have made above.

As far as I can understand, the main part of the book portrayes the DRF on the basis of circumstances already known to the public (in Denmark) via different more or less serious sources - it is only the last chaper that can be decribed as controversial and rather undocumentet.

I still woun't read the book myselfe, but I have enjoyed reading your posts.

I as well would like to have the opportunity to thank norwegianne for taking the time to share her review of this latest book.

Very enjoyable .

Is this book translated into English? If not, too bad :(
I would like to read it. I am very interested in the Danish Royal Family, so I usually like to read all the news about them.
Thanks for your reviews!

Norwegianne, thanks for your review of the book. I thought it was going to be a much worser book & thought of not buying it, but if it does which I hope be translated into english, ill definitely grab myself a copy.

Thanks a lot Norwigianne for your assesment of the book and not least the very thorough summary you have made above.

As far as I can understand, the main part of the book portrayes the DRF on the basis of circumstances already known to the public (in Denmark) via different more or less serious sources - it is only the last chaper that can be decribed as controversial and rather undocumentet.

You're welcome.

As far as I can gather, yes. In the main part she uses heavily of the official biographies, along with the anonymous sources - while in the last chapter, it is more Trine Villemann's opinion of how/what the royal family should do. I don't think it is necessarily a bad chapter, she has her points - but it is jarring in the context of the rest of the book, in my opinion.

I am befuddled most of all by the following quote:

"What you have to remember is when Frederik grew up he didn't really have a family of his own, so what happened was when he met a new girlfriend he was almost adopted into that girlfriend's family." Trine Villemann (SOURCE)

What does Villemann mean precisely, by saying that Fred "didn't have a family of his own"? What a bizarre thing to say! He grew up with two healthy alive parents, a brother, a flock of cousins from all directions from his two aunt's families, aunts, uncles, his beloved grandmother...... no family? What on earth does this author mean by such a statement?

If you take out Frederik's name, you would imagine she is speaking of an orphaned guy. But Fred is not an orphan. What is she playing at?

This author has an official website: villemann.com (only in Danish)

If you take out Frederik's name, you would imagine she is speaking of an orphaned guy. But Fred is not an orphan. What is she playing at?This author has an official website: villemann.com (only in Danish)

Thanks for the link. I just had a peep. It seems it isn't sufficient for her to make a mockery of the DRF. Her webside opens with a patronizing statement about all danes mixed with self-asserting declaration upon her own wonderfull personality.

As she seems to dislike Denmark, danes and the DRF so much, it is only understandable that she is living abroad. I do pitty the people of Athens though,that they have to have her living among them:eek:

she not very nice in my opinion and she need's too
stop.

billie-jo

I really hope that this book is never read by any of the main players I would hate to see, even in the tiniest way , a repeat of the public invasion of the Wales situation. Frederick and Mary seem happy the Queen did the best given her position all is not perfect anywhere but I think they all do a great job.

Amber Petty was on the Hamish and Andy Show (I think that's what it's called) on the radio around half an hour ago discussing the book. She says that it's all just rubbish and that M&F have never been happier. Amber also said that Villemann is just looking for a quick buck with this book

and Amber is looking for a quick buck with appearing on such a show maybe.... ?

Well, she's a working woman who does a lot of journalistic type work so far as I know. I don't think it remarkable that she, a known friend of the Princess, is asked to comment. I hold no brief for Amber at all, but I think that it's appropriate that she be asked for her views. From last I heard, she had a radio program of her own, though I could be mistaken,

Amber Petty was on the Hamish and Andy Show (I think that's what it's called) on the radio around half an hour ago discussing the book. She says that it's all just rubbish and that M&F have never been happier. Amber also said that Villemann is just looking for a quick buck with this book

Well done Amber. As the book seems to have made some impact in Australia, it is nice to know, that their is a native australian who is a lot more informed about reality then this Mrs Slander Villeman.

How could it make any sort of impact when the book isn't even translated into English? The hoopla surrounding the book in Australia is based on heresay. By the way, is Amber fluent in Danish? If not, how would she know what the book has to say? Did she read it from the beginning to end? Or is she basing her thoughts on what others told her? I believe it's the latter. Furthermore, I understand that she would denounce the book because she is close with Mary, but the fact that she calls it "rubbish" without reading it is really... odd (for lack of a better word.)

I firmly believe that members who trash 1015 Kobenhaven, without reading it, have a very weak argument in the first place.

Read the book first, then decide. Don't take others thoughts and opinions about it... read the book.

As a supporter of the DRF I would read it despite the controversy. I would like to know what Trine has to say that's all.

By the way, it seems that Lotte from Australia is having it out with the author, Trine, on her blog. :deadhorse: Read it here.

:rolleyes:

How could it make any sort of impact when the book isn't even translated into English? The hoopla surrounding the book in Australia is based on heresay. By the way, is Amber fluent in Danish? If not, how would she know what the book has to say? Did she read it from the beginning to end? Or is she basing her thoughts on what others told her? I believe it's the latter. Furthermore, I understand that she would denounce the book because she is close with Mary, but the fact that she calls it "rubbish" without reading it is really... odd (for lack of a better word.)

Very good points about Amber and her skills in Danish! If you ask me it's kind of a bad move for anyone close with Fred or Mary or the Danish RF for that matter to make any comment about the book. It's only adding fuel to the flame! I can certainly see that these are not good comments when you look deeper. I personally think its better to not contribute to the whole debate if one is close with any member of the Danish RF, the press is crafty and they will look for hidden clues in Amber's comments.

Very good points about Amber and her skills in Danish! If you ask me it's kind of a bad move for anyone close with Fred or Mary or the Danish RF for that matter to make any comment about the book. It's only adding fuel to the flame! I can certainly see that these are not good comments when you look deeper. I personally think its better to not contribute to the whole debate if one is close with any member of the Danish RF, the press is crafty and they will look for hidden clues in Amber's comments.

I think the same. After hearing Amber's words some people may think "Why is she saying this? Why did they feel the need to ask Amber to defend them?"
In this kind of situations, close friends or siblings should keep quiet. I would love to read this book. Not because I want to read bad things about Frederik and Mary (they are my favorite royal couple!) but because I like to read everything about Mary. I've bought two books, written in english, about Mary and I would buy this one too.

Back
Top Bottom