The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Royal Highness

I personally found the book to be informative, it didn't change the way I perceive the DRF, whilst I gr8ly admire the DRF, it is quite comforting to know that the royals are human. I personally find the "we are perfect" biographies to be quite unauthentic, and uninspiring.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 PM

I ordered the book last night (in English) hopefully it'll be a good read, I've read mived reports so i'll let you all know what I think of it when it arrives

God Save The Queen!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:29 PM

The book has arrived, signed by the Author, which was a nice touch

I haven't got round to reading it yet but I've scanned over it briefly, and haven't yet made up my mind what I think of it.

God Save The Queen!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
The book has arrived, signed by the Author, which was a nice touch

I haven't got round to reading it yet but I've scanned over it briefly, and haven't yet made up my mind what I think of it.
Well I have noe read the book, I have to say I wasn't overly impressed, I found it tabloid like and at times not very professionally written. The author gave too much personal opinion and it was to say the least limited in it's authority. 2 out of 10 would be a fair mark for a below average book.

God Save The Queen!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
Well I have noe read the book, I have to say I wasn't overly impressed, I found it tabloid like and at times not very professionally written. The author gave too much personal opinion and it was to say the least limited in it's authority. 2 out of 10 would be a fair mark for a below average book.

Wasn't Trine a journalist before she wrote the book?
The fact that she gave "too much of her own opinion" is not surprising, her own opinion is all she has to be quite honest.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post

The fact that she gave "too much of her own opinion" is not surprising, her own opinion is all she has to be quite honest.
I mean "too much of her own opinion" as in no facts all opinion, it was not like other royal biographes

God Save The Queen!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post

Not when the book is marketed as being a reliable source of truths. Non. The author continuously passed off her opinion as a credible reference. It is not.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I secretly want to buy the book in english by there is little chance of getting it in America.Plus based on this thread some are not too fond of the book and may be all lies.But still I cant help but be curious about it.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Nobility

I noticed the other day that 1015 Copenhagen K is now available in English on Kindle -- you can "rent" it for free or buy -- so I finally got to read it. Without getting into the veracity of the info in it, I'd say it's a mediocre "beach read" book at best -- no one is going to burn a lot of brain cells reading it. Some sections seem to jump from topic without any natural transition, almost as if passages are missing or something. The ebook is also unedited, so page headers and numbers pop up randomly in the middle of sentences.

As far as the content, I'd say if you believe the author, everything in the book makes sense, but if you don't (or if you poke holes in some assertions), it reads like a sketchy tabloid piece. I doubt many people would change their opinions of the DRF after reading it: If you like them, you'll probably think the book is packed with lies, and if you don't, this will validate your opinion.

I was disappointed that Villemann didn't elaborate on some of the things she mentions. For instance, she says that the queen experienced a huge disappointment early on in her marriage, but she never says what this was or how/if this contributed to her apparent lack of attention to her sons or her moodiness. And, without knowing what this disappointment supposedly was, it's hard to understand why, as Villeman notes, the queen is still so devoted to Prince Henrik.

Same thing on the incident Villeman says gave Alexandra enough leverage to divorce Joachim. After pages describing what a dutiful, solid fellow Joachim is, she drops in a reference to some incident, which she never describes, that supposedly was so bad it trumped everything else. Maybe people who follow tabloid reports about Joachim would have more insight on this, but after reading what a great guy he is, I was baffled about what this incident could be.

There were other passing references that I wish she'd elaborated on, too. For instance, she mentions bad blood between Margrethe and Benedikte, but says nothing about what this was or how they relate today. Same thing on several references to Anne-Marie and the Greek royal family. (I would have liked to have seen a lot more about Benedikte and Anne-Marie, especially in how they relate to the Danish court as adults.)

Overall, this is the impression I got from the book:
Margrethe -- a moody, frail artist, who ignored her kids and avoids conflict
Henrik -- charming, sensitive guy, except for beating his kids
Frederick -- sweet, conflicted, damaged guy with bad judgment
Joachim -- strong, disciplined, dutiful guy with skeletons in his closet
Ingrid -- regal, Machiavellian queen and devoted grandmother

Those aren't necessarily the same impressions I've had from reading other sources, but that's what I took from the book.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Courtier

I haven't read this book but I suspect the lack of details provide legal cover for the author. I don't know what the libel laws are like in Denmark but it seems intuitive to me that there's a difference between making vague references to something that may have happened and coming out and saying, "X, Y and Z happened at this time and place." Especially if the truth is actually that there was no incident and X, Y and Z didn't happen.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Nobility

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that, although if the assertions are truthful, they wouldn't be libelous. Villemann says that she leaves some details out to protect her sources, but I found it annoying that she insinuates certain things without providing explanations.

For example, she writes, "Some believe that shortly after the birth of Frederik, the Queen suffered an enormous disappointment in her marriage, and, in an attempt to survive, pushed everything aside in order to 'just make it through one day at a time without breaking down.'"

What was the disappointment? If it was so bad that required "an attempt to survive," what was it?

But, a few pages later she writes, "The Queen adores the Prince Consort. She is like a little girl around him." That certainly doesn't make her sound too disappointed!

In the part about the breakup of Joachim's marriage, she quotes an unnamed friend as saying, "An explosive and very damaging event occurred that gave Alexandra the key she needed to release herself from the royal chains. All the friends know what happened, but no one is telling. It is a secret. And it serves no purpose to reveal it. It would crush Joachim and be terrible for his children."

Then: "Were this lurid episode ever exposed it would create a tidal wave of salacious headlines, but as Joachim descends down the list of succession, it is questionable whether it would have any long-term impact on the monarchy's popularity and standing in Denmark. What happened is a private matter between Joachim and Alexandra. But it was bad enough to compel Joachim to surrender to his wife's demand for a divorce."

OK, if it's private and it serves no purpose to reveal it, why even mention it, much less play up how salacious and lurid and horrible it is? And, if the friends all know about it, how "private" is it really?

I'm not saying Joachim's "secrets" must be revealed, but implying there's something awful without saying what it is damages his reputation in itself. He can't even defend himself on something like that (although that's not the usual royal style anyway). But, if it's true and that explosive, say it. It can't be worse than what the readers might conjure up on their own.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

The writer of this book is so horrible, I don't think I would be able to contain my anger towards her if I met her.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
The writer of this book is so horrible, I don't think I would be able to contain my anger towards her if I met her.
Well, I don't know anything about the author, but if what she wrote is true, she ought to tell the whole story (or not). If it's not true, change the names and publish it as fiction.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

wow, why to write soemthing so bad about oachim without telling what it is at least to have him defendig himself! wow they way had been described this so bad thing it is so anoying , how she could, she leaveseverybody thinking the worst!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Came upon this book on my kindle? There is no other way to read it unless I buy it; do you think it's worth the money?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Nobility

No, not really. It's like a very long National Enquirer story that hasn't been edited. If you're into that kind of thing, whatever, but know going in it's like a trashy novel.