The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Gee, I liked having ole Malcolm here ... well, except when he called we all "Fascists", . That was a bit sticky .....
He made four posts. Starting with the accusation that we might as well be fascists and saying he would be silenced for his post. And ending with two Goodbye posts because the forum wasn't good enough for him and Trine. Really, what's to like? Seriously? Is this also endearing? LOL

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Nobility

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Just a tad...
Hahaha, yes
Well, what can I tell you?
Malcolm's very opinionated and has a very lively sense of humour, but really ... he's a warm fellow once you penetrate his surface. I have found him to be accomodating and good-hearted, albeit quite honest.
The fellow's just republican through & through, and thinks Royals are all "po'faced toffs", really
You gotta love Malcolm!
I wish he'd come here and contribute.
He likes http://www.royaldish.com though.
I went there and found it to be a bit haaaarsh, if you will.

Is it legal to put up links to other Royal Websites, here?
If it is not, let me know right away and I will take reference to this site, down.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Gee, I liked having ole Malcolm here ... well, except when he called we all "Fascists", . That was a bit sticky ..... [my bolding]
Well ... a rather strong word to describe us. Did Ms. Villemann and her husband expect us to blindly believe every word they uttered? When one claims "penning" a controversial book, he or she should expect both negavtive and positive opinions. Ms. Villemann happens to be a writer, who might know a lot about the Danish Royal family. However, she is not the only authority on the subject. In the end, it would be much better, if Mr. Brabant (if I am not mistaken) and Ms.Villemann abstain from participating in the discussion... in my personal opinion.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Nobility

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
That is a rather strong word to describe us. Did Ms Villemann and her husband expect us to blindly believe every word they uttered? She is just a writer, who might know a lot about the Danish Royal family. However, she is the only authority on the subject.
Oh, I agree that we are not fascists, too!

No, Trine doesn't expect people to blindly believe everything we read or hear.
She knows folks here aren't stupid.
But, I think she might (just a guess) have been a bit taken aback by how much she was challenged.

I really should not speak for her, though, should I?

-- Abbie
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Hahaha, yes
Well, what can I tell you?
Malcolm's very opinionated and has a very lively sense of humour, but really ... he's a warm fellow once you penetrate his surface. I have found him to be accomodating and good-hearted, albeit quite honest.
The fellow's just republican through & through, and thinks Royals are all "po'faced toffs", really
You gotta love Malcolm!
I wish he'd come here and contribute.
He likes http://www.theroyaldish.com though.
I went there and found it to be a bit haaaarsh, if you will.

Is it legal to put up links to other Royal Websites, here?
If it is not, let me know right away and I will take reference to this site, down.
Yes, it's legal to put up links to other royal websites, but for the sake of maintaining good relations we don't want to get into critical discussions of them. So if we can just leave the discussion of the Dish with the observation that you found it harsher than what goes on here and move on, it would be much appreciated.

If you want to know what's legal around here, by the way, the rules can be accessed from the blue band at the bottom of any forum page, as can a set of member FAQs, which can also be found in this thread in the Support and Feedback forum. Plus, there are links in the signatures of a lot of the mods and admins.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You gotta love Malcolm!
No, I don't believe you do..

Quote:
Lively sense of humour? I wouldn't know and I can assure you I have no interest in 'penetrating' his surface...I find generic stereotyping quite the juvenile thing to do.

And with all due respect to you, it's little wonder you would find him accommodating and good hearted as you've seemed quite taken by their presence.

Quote:
I think she might (just a guess) have been a bit taken aback by how much she was challenged.
Which would surprise me, if so, given her chosen line of work.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Yes, it's legal to put up links to other royal websites, but for the sake of maintaining good relations we don't want to get into critical discussions of them. So if we can just leave the discussion of the Dish with the observation that you found it harsher than what goes on here and move on, it would be much appreciated.

If you want to know what's legal around here, by the way, the rules can be accessed from the blue band at the bottom of any forum page, as can a set of member FAQs, which can also be found in this thread in the Support and Feedback forum. Plus, there are links in the signatures of a lot of the mods and admins.

Hope that helps.
Gotcha!

I was openly asking about rules here, because ... I am on a public computer, at the library right now, and I am timed. So, I don't always have all that much time to read thru' all the rules of wherever, whenever I might like to do so. If I owned my own computer, I could devote more time to sitting down and going through the rules here, as often as I might like to do so. I guess my point is that by asking if something's legal, I was hoping someone would just pipe up and say "yes" or "no" and then I'd know straightaway.

And, that's exactly what you have just done for that, so thanks!

Almost out of time -- a minute left.

Until tomorrow,

Abbie
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, even though I said I had nothing more to add to this discussion, after conversing with a few others, I do have this to add.

It is my opinion that the historical portion of the book was just a vehicle for the author to be able to add in the last little bit with all of her opinions and criticisms. I doubt seriously (and the author admitted as much when she posted regarding her conversation with her editor) that the book would have been published at all if it had not contained the historical side. Thus the author had to find some fairly checkable facts to lend at least a little credence to what she was writing. Again, my opinion, but it was only a vehicle for her to make innuendos and graceless remarks. Much like the sub -title of the book "Mary's dysfunctional in-laws" which make it seem as if the book has a lot to do with Mary, is in my opinion a way for the author to make more money selling the book.

And to add to that, all of the historical information has already been written and published by other, more respected, authors, with more standing and credibility in their field. So this author, has in my opinion, just parroted the work of others, simply to give way to making her own opinions known.

It would make it a bit easier, if the author would actually answer the questions that challenge her, but she seems to not want to do so, despite repeated requests from multiple members.

And now I really am done, as I don't think that there is anything more to say.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post

It is my opinion that the historical portion of the book was just a vehicle for the author to be able to add in the last little bit with all of her opinions and criticisms.
That is my impression, too, from the way Villemann participates in the discussions here: a lot of innuendos, hints of secret knowledge and the fact that she is the author of this book are used as background for very negative opinions of the DRF.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
That is my impression, too, from the way Villemann participates in the discussions here: a lot of innuendos, hints of secret knowledge and the fact that she is the author of this book are used as background for very negative opinions of the DRF.
From the "discussions" on this thread I absolutely concur. Moveover, she has used this thread as a means to establish an aura of "authority" that she neither has nor deserves in promoting her book, whilst treating any member who had dared to question any part of her book or posts, with utter contempt and distain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
It would make it a bit easier, if the author would actually answer the questions that challenge her, but she seems to not want to do so, despite repeated requests from multiple members.
Further, she attempts to use this implied secret inside information as weapon with which to silence her critics. We all deserve to be heard.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, since she's apparently on sabbatical from TRF again, this might be a good time to either restrict our observations to the book itself or wait till someone else has come along who's read it and has something they want to add to the conversation.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Nobility

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Well, since she's apparently on sabbatical from TRF again, this might be a good time to either restrict our observations to the book itself or wait till someone else has come along who's read it and has something they want to add to the conversation.
Yeah, you're right. Sorry for my part in veering this topic off course ... However, I really do think it's hard NOT to talk about Trine herself, though (in all fairness) when one discusses her book, as both are so controversial at this point in time.

I want to see her back here. I just got an e-mail from her hubby that I haven't read yet. I'll try to persuade both to continue coming here. I really like reading what both have to say even though they might stridently disagree with most folks in this thread.

--
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Courtier

The lesson from this discussion must be that if you intend to
write a debate book on a royal family you should never introduce
yourself as an "impertinent" or "brazen" journalist ( as TV does on
her Danish website and in the Danish media) if you want to be
taken seriously!

You should never use anonymous sources! If they are unavoidable
for some reason, they should be reduced to an absolute minimum
for the sake of the overall credibilty.

Nor should you present speculations and gossip as facts.

If you claim to be a royalist and that your book is written in the
best interest of the monarchy, then you should avoid alliances
with professed republicans like the plague! Excuse me for
repeating myself: " 1015-KÝbenhavn K" was published by the
publishing co. of the blatantly republican tabloid Ekstra-Bladet.
I cannot rid myself of the suspicion that TV is a republican
masquerading as a royalist!

If you want your book to be taken seriously, don't write in the
chatty, sensationalist style of a tabloid journalist, as is often the
case in "1015-K".

If you claim to be a royalist you should not put members of
the royal family in question in a bad light by exposing their
faults and flaws. It doesn't add up in the big picture; it
serves no purpose, unless of course you have a hidden agenda
and hope that the mud will eventually stick! I'm particularly referring
to TVs constant ridicule of CP Frederiks public speaking skills,
it has been heartless!

You (the author) should know the history of the monarchy as
well as the background of the RF traditions, customs and general
court procedures etc. For instance, if you criticize a
custom, you've got to know why it is there in the first place!
Ignorance on the part of the author detracts from the credibility.

As I have mentioned earlier, as a Danish royalist I don't mind a
debate on the Danish monarchy and its future role, and
how the DRF could revise their focus or optimize the royal
brand in new contexts and so forth. The Danish RF
has had so much tail wind for the past decades that there's
a risk of being lulled asleep. I for one think that the DRF is
resting too much on the laurels for their own good.
This is IMO, other Danish TRF members may perceive things differently.

Finally, I don't intend to be heartless to TV. There's the good old
golden rule that you should always treat others as you would like
to be treated yourself! However she is no innocent victim
as far as the debate about "1015-KÝbenhavn K" is concerned.

Just for the record: When writing about various subjects on her
blog, TV often displays a decent amount of common sense, presented
in decent journalistic Danish.

"1015-K" didn't quite make it!

From me to you, Trine Villemann: Know your stuff, know your
target group, know your focus and never, ever underestimate
the reader! All the best!

End of ramblings , good night!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

Well said both Viv and Jo. I've been following this thread since it started (and in fact this thread is what pushed me to finally join TRF instead of just lurking). I've restrained from saying something since I have not read the book. I won't comment on what may or may not be in the book, but I do agree with many of the posters about the alleged (since I haven't read the book I can't confirm this) use of anonymous sources. I just don't think they can be used in a book that is being touted as "historical". I'm not a fan of anonymous sources at all, having relied in the past on people who swear the sources are rock solid and then it turns out they are not.

I still have concerns about the author being on the forum, but it has made for a lively debate all around.

After reading reviews, I don't think I will be purchasing the book even though I'm sure there are some interesting points. And, alas, I don't think my local library has it.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it's always best to base opinions on having read a book yourself, but I know that people can't be expected to read everything. Maybe you could see if the library could get the book on interlibrary loan or something, especially since it gives an interesting overview of the modern history of the Danish monarchy, which might be unfamiliar to people in the USA.

Now, if we could all get away from trying to be mindreaders, it would be much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I wanted to give my brief opinion about the book. I ordered it and luckily received it just in time to have nothing else to due thanks to Hurricane Ike's wrath on our coast.

I am not a big fan of the Danish Royals but am very curious about them because of their connection to my favorite Greek Royals.

I didn't find it anything less or more than any biography I've read about Diana, Princess of Wales or other royals, for that matter. It's short. There aren't any pictures and of course, there's not enough about the Greek side.

For someone coming from very far outside of the Danish family, I was a bit confused and it took me some research to understand who all the "players" really were. We don't get a lot of information here about Denmark in general or their royal family. I personally would have preferred it to be longer with more details.

I was a bit skeptical about the sourcing (as were others, apparently), but I went back to other books like Andrew Morton's original Diana biography and found that there really wasn't much difference. I also didn't see anything I felt (as an American and an outsider) to be harmful to the monarchy and I was impressed that the reasons behind Alexandra and Joachim's split were not revealed. As a child of divorce, it would be horrible to find your parents intimate life spread between the pages of a book!

Overall, I don't regret purchasing it but I'm unsure if I would keep it in my library forever. At some point, it will probably end up on Ebay simply because I have limited room and want more Greek royal books (hint, hint Trine, there's no bio on Nikolaos).
Old 09-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg1fan View Post
I wanted to give my brief opinion about the book. I ordered it and luckily received it just in time to have nothing else to due thanks to Hurricane Ike's wrath on our coast.

I am not a big fan of the Danish Royals but am very curious about them because of their connection to my favorite Greek Royals.

I didn't find it anything less or more than any biography I've read about Diana, Princess of Wales or other royals, for that matter. It's short. There aren't any pictures and of course, there's not enough about the Greek side.

For someone coming from very far outside of the Danish family, I was a bit confused and it took me some research to understand who all the "players" really were. We don't get a lot of information here about Denmark in general or their royal family. I personally would have preferred it to be longer with more details.

I was a bit skeptical about the sourcing (as were others, apparently), but I went back to other books like Andrew Morton's original Diana biography and found that there really wasn't much difference. I also didn't see anything I felt (as an American and an outsider) to be harmful to the monarchy and I was impressed that the reasons behind Alexandra and Joachim's split were not revealed. As a child of divorce, it would be horrible to find your parents intimate life spread between the pages of a book!

Overall, I don't regret purchasing it but I'm unsure if I would keep it in my library forever. At some point, it will probably end up on Ebay simply because I have limited room and want more Greek royal books (hint, hint Trine, there's no bio on Nikolaos).
Thanks for your sober and balanced review. I really appreciate it. I am also starting to get some very nice mails from people, who have purchased my book via Majesty Magazine - it is the Book of the Month for October - so it looks like the prejudice is fading away. Maybe I should do one about Niko. It does puzzle me that he still has not popped the question to the lovely Tatiana. I wonder if it is a money issue?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 AM
Majesty

From one of my favorite blogs,and spot on:

Danish Royal Watchers: Danish monarchy: Politiken interviews Trine Villemann

Danish Royal Watchers: Trine Villemann's book worst of 2007 - book review

courtesy dearest Gigi & Lotte

It's not prejudice Trine,it's just very much of the same,it is all been said and done before.Pitty.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Nobility

After reading an excerpt from this book, it sounds like the "information" this author has found through "sources" are bogus and the "facts" are a completely fabricated. It may be the way it was written that makes it sound this way, none the less, the "facts" read as false to me.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Courtier

So many of us knew this to be true, despite Trine's best efforts to prove otherwise. Better luck with the next one Trine.