The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Commoner

Queen M and Countess A

Oh, I get it, the Queen and Prince Consort see the boys and it is understood that Alexandra and Martin are not welcome at the palace. Guess Queen M dislikes Countess A even more than Prince H.

Thanks for the info, Trine

Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Well, if you don't really care, then why are you on this thread? If you don't like my "voice of authority," as you call it, then what are you doing here? If you can't recommend my book, why do you bother engaging me at all? Something must have lit your fire, Lila!
I am here to give a different view on The DRF then the one you provide in your book and on this threat - plus to make it clear that you are not speaking on behalf of the Danish nation even if you seem to pretend to do so. Not being capable of recommending your book is part of that.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Fashionista100,
It has been most kind of you to share your views on the subject matter.
Given the very rigid views of Ms.Villemann on the marriage traditions of the Danish Royal family, I deem it expedient to abstain from further discussions of the matter in question.
Abstain, by all means, but these are not my "rigid views," these are FACTS. The Queen has spoken publicly of how her boys always knew, it would be better if they found a bride outside Denmark. It is not something I invented!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess may View Post
Mary Donaldson, being a middle-class commoner (no disrespect intended), from the other side of the world is unsuited to take on an age-old institution such as this to change it. There is too much intoxication from the pomp and ceremony and celebrity to get down to the business at hand. And that business is CP Fred. If he does not have that internal drive to keep growing as a Prince, he needs a gentle push from his wife. CP Mary’s job is twofold: to provide heirs to the throne, and to support her husband; to guide him when he needs it and to be his closest advisor. But she needs to throw herself into the inner workings of Denmark to do this. Something that an outsider might not be able to do.
IMO, the point of departure for a consort is that she/he is
expected to be a support rather than a management consultant!
I hasten to add that it does not rule out that the consort eventually
becomes a "modernizer". In CP Mary's case it could well happen
once she knows the royal ropes and inside out and -not to forget -
when she is in a position to do so, that is when she becomes
Queen consort! For now, she is still an apprentice,
a subordinate who has to align and adjust to the procedures,
customs, and traditions of the royal house.

Danish antropologist Anne Skjeldborg Jensen (an upcoming royalty
pundit)made a comment in a recent issue of "Eurowoman"*, a Danish
monthly. It went something like:
" Most of the new European crown princesses are well educated,
however they never get an opportunity to bring their education
into play. It is as if their personalities fade away once they are
swallowed up by the royal institutions, which are being governed
by men. They all become mothers fairly quickly and get involved
in suitable "soft" value causes and charities."

(* IIRC it was the June or July issue, in case any of my compatriots
are interested! It was a 4-page article on the new "commoner"
princesses)
Old 09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
I am here to give a different view on The DRF then the one you provide in your book and on this threat - plus to make it clear that you are not speaking on behalf of the Danish nation even if you seem to pretend to do so. Not being capable of recommending your book is part of that.
Here we go again: I am not pretending anything.This is a thread about a book I wrote on the DRF and I am allowed to express my views. I think most posters on this thread have got that by now. Time to change the record, wouldn't you say?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Commoner

It appears that the Queen M and Prince H were close to the Manleys. Then the divorce happened, the Manleys stayed in Schakenborg until Prince J married Marie, and they moved to Austria. I thought it strange that the Manleys did not move into Countess A's huge mansion in Copenhagen. Is Countess A chosing to distant herself from her parents when her dad did not walk her down the aisle to Martin?

Thanks for writing, Trine!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
I hasten to add that it does preclude that the consort eventually

" Many of the new European crown princesses are well educated,

princesses)
And Ms Jensen is absolutely right. These educated young women become like a dear caught in the royal headlights as soon as they have married their prince.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
This is a thread about a book I wrote on the DRF and I am allowed to express my views.
Of course you are allowed to express your views as long as you only express your views. And I am allowed to do exactly the same.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Things are becoming heated once again.

So I am asking -- YET AGAIN -- to please chill out and let your fellow members express their opinions and for the love of chocolate please refrain from making inane snarky remarks!! If you cannot have a civil debate and cannot behave like a mature adult DO NOT post in this topic! Otherwise this topic will be closed -- YET AGAIN -- permanently!

Thank you

GT
Royal Library Mod.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Aristocracy

I for one would hate to see this thread closed. I read the book and found it interesting. The author gave her opnions and not everyone will agree with them. I think we should move on! The most interesting thing I found in reading the book was the information about Alexandra. It is interesting how you can see pictures ....and see a perfect family ...and then the announcement of divorce. Was the public in Denmark surprised or were there rumblings about the marriage.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Here we go again: I am not pretending anything.This is a thread about a book I wrote on the DRF and I am allowed to express my views. I think most posters on this thread have got that by now. Time to change the record, wouldn't you say?
I don't think Lilla is having a problem with your expressing your own opinion. It's when you're talking about "The Danish people think..." that's bothering her. I wouldn't especially appreciate it if you'd written a similar book about the British royals and were on here saying "The British people think..." and coming up with something that didn't align in the least with what I think. There's a difference between "Many Danish people think..." or "Most of the Danes I've talked to/who answered a poll in the newspaper/who've left comments on my website think..." and "The Danish people think..."
Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
princesses)
Thanks Viv, I will try to get hold on that article .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I don't think Lilla is having a problem with your expressing your own opinion. It's when you're talking about "The Danish people think..." that's bothering her. I wouldn't especially appreciate it if you'd written a similar book about the British royals and were on here saying "The British people think..." and coming up with something that didn't align in the least with what I think. There's a difference between "Many Danish people think..." or "Most of the Danes I've talked to/who answered a poll in the newspaper/who've left comments on my website think..." and "The Danish people think..."
Thanks Elspeth, for clarifying what I have been trying to clarify myselfe. You are perfectly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by denice View Post
It is interesting how you can see pictures ....and see a perfect family ...and then the announcement of divorce. Was the public in Denmark surprised or were there rumblings about the marriage.
As far as I can remember there were no rumblings...at least not in the circles I move in. To me it came as a surprise.

My brother though - who is a carpenter - had been doing some work at Shackenborg and he wasn't surprised.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the information. Is Alexandra still held in high regard since she remarried. I know many people on this message board like her. But that was before she remarried.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Is Alexandra still held in high regard since she remarried.
IMO I think she is. I holde her in high regard. It is my understandig that the organisations - whom she chose to remain the patron for after remarrying - are very pleased with the continued connection. And when it comes to tabloid magazines, not a week passes by without Alexandra being a subject for one or two articles. IMO she has mannaged more then most princesses - to gain the respect of the intellektuel elite - simply by abandoning the traditional role she was put in as a princess and instead choosing the life she wanted (by the way read Vivs post 684). She has got my respect that is for certain.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv
I hasten to add that it does preclude that the consort eventually

" Many of the new European crown princesses are well educated,

princesses)
Quote:
And Ms Jensen is absolutely right. These educated young women become like a dear caught in the royal headlights as soon as they have married their prince.
Well a sensible question is how much education does a young Crown Princess need to assume her role? I would assume quite a bit but not the same type of education a businesswoman needs to succeed in today's economy.

My opinion of Alexandra's and Joachim's marriage changed when I found out she had been a portfolio manager. I work with portfolio managers and they tend to be very ambitious and short term results oriented. I can't see someone with a temperament to make a good portfolio manager really being happy playing a royal consort. Royalty by its definition has a much more long term focus and the results of one's efforts are much more fuzzy and hard to measure.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by enneagramj View Post
Hi, Trine, thanks for the quick reply. I guess that Queen M and P Hendrik don't see much of their grandchildren by P J much after the marriage if they don't ever see the boys alone. A bit sad, but then if they aren't kid magnets and dislike Countess Al, it naturally follows.

Does Queen M dislike Countess A as much as P Hendrik?

Take care,
I do not think P Henrik disliked Alexandra before the divorce. Actually I read an interview he gave at the time of Mary's and Frederick's engagement. He told the reporter that Mary could learn a lot from then Princess Alexandra who was doing an excellent job. Of course this came after the interview he gave a few months earlier blasting all the Crown Princes in Europe for cheapening the Monarchy by marrying commoners.....
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

Elspeth this post made me smile.........I live in the US and hear every day all day from TV and read in the newspapers............what the American people want and I talk to myself..........NO I DON"T but no one is listening to me......... Sorry for the interruption.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
IIRC it was the June or July issue, in case any of my compatriots are interested! It was a 4-page article on the new "commoner" princesses
re. my post no.684: Found it!
It's in the July issue of Eurowoman, p. 46-49.
"Are you princess material?" (Har du prinsessepotentiale?) by
Mia Hessner Sovinsky.

My quotation is not verbatim, but the essence is there.
In fact, Anne Skjeldborg goes even further!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The most interesting thing I found in reading the book was the information about Alexandra. It is interesting how you can see pictures ....and see a perfect family ...and then the announcement of divorce. Was the public in Denmark surprised or were there rumblings about the marriage.
There were rumblings! They surfaced shortly after the CPly wedding in May 2004. Not suprisingly they appeared in the republican Ekstra-Bladet, a tabloid, which - for a change (!) - turned out to be spot on about the actual state of affairs. It doesn't happen often, which is why other media, Billed-Bladet in particular dismissed the rumours.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Nobility

I have only read little pieces of the book, but how does Trine think of the new Princess Marie? She fits the bill perfectly, being foreign, upper middle-class and well educated. Any thoughts of that?? Is there any reason that she has been so very, very low key sofar, apart from the fact that she is the second wife??