The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #601  
Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by enneagramj View Post
It may also have to do with the fact that many Danish princes in the 20th century who married Danes lost their titles and styles. By marrying foreigners, Danish royals did not have to open that can of worms.
As a matter of fact: the first Danish princes to lose their princely
titles in the 20th century married foreigners; I'm thinking of Princes
Aage, Erik and Viggo (the "Valdemars"). If I remember correctly
(..sorry, right now I'm too comfortable to run upstairs and check
the proper source ) Prince Aage was styled "Prince Aage,
count of Rosenborg),the others were relegated to "counts" even though
Viggo and his wife were popularly known as "prince and princess Viggo".

Maybe someone can corroborate?
Sorry for going off topic, btw!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #602  
Old 09-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 208
I too was surprised about Alexandra. I really didn't know much about her at all. I had only seen pictirues of her and thought she was lovely. Very "princessy". I was surprised when they announced the divorce. I only became interested in the Danish royals when Mary came on the scene.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old 09-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
The question is - were they just girlfriends - just the same way as I had boyfriends whom I dumped after us being together for years?



That is speculating. Anyway I have no idea what the usual Margrethe-context is - the frasing in itselfe lead to the word speculation.

But all in all, what I think Viv is, this discussion of ours is about nothing but speculations. I prefere facts.

I accept that there are things going on that neither I nor you or Villemann knows anything about and when one person interpret/speculate one thing - another person just as easily can come up with the opposite. Speculating or interpreting will never provide the truths - only speculations.

The posts om this thread is a very good example of that, the last of youres, the previous of mine and this included

But yes, knowing I am speculating, I am convinced Frederik would have ended up marrying Mary - also if she was born Danish.
I disagree . CP Frederik would never have married Mary if the DRF had not had that silly family tradition. He wanted to marry Katja in 1995, but the Queen would not give her consent, because Katja was Danish.
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old 09-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
but the Queen would not give her consent, because Katja was Danish.
You know this as a definate fact? I mean you are 150% (stuff 110) certain, and can provide the evidence to support it, that the reason Frederik didn't marry her was because Margrethe stipulated that he had to marry a foreigner. Not advised, stipulated.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
You know this as a definate fact? I mean you are 150% (stuff 110) certain, and can provide the evidence to support it, that the reason Frederik didn't marry her was because Margrethe stipulated that he had to marry a foreigner. Not advised, stipulated.
Yes, I know it for a fact. The Queen said no. Will I provide my sources on this? No, I will not, but has it been denied by any of the partiers invlved back then? No, It hasn't!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Of course you won't (can't) provide the evidence...

Did I really think you would/could? Of course not, but there's always hope that some day you shall...
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 AM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
That is speculating. Anyway I have no idea what the usual Margrethe-context is - the frasing in itselfe lead to the word speculation. .... But all in all, what I think Viv is, this discussion of ours is about nothing but speculations. I prefere facts. .
To read something in context is a tool of text analysis. I will PM you on this!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #608  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Of course you won't (can't) provide the evidence...

Did I really think you would/could? Of course not, but there's always hope that some day you shall...
Have you actually read my book?
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
I have indeed read your book, and before it was released in english too...

A Danish girlfriend of mine was kind enough, in her 'free' time, to translate the content (she is a secreterial translator by profession).
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #610  
Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
You know this as a definate fact? I mean you are 150% (stuff 110) certain, and can provide the evidence to support it, that the reason Frederik didn't marry her was because Margrethe stipulated that he had to marry a foreigner. Not advised, stipulated.
I am inclined to believe Villemann, and I'll try to explain why:
Something unusual happened when the relationship ended:
The lawyer of Katjas family issued a statement, that "the relationship
with CP Frederik has been terminated". This had never happened before Katja,
nor did it happen after! My reaction at the time was that it was
overkill! Why go public about the break-up of a relationship, which
never was an official relationship? In hindsight, there must have been
a good reason for issuing such a statement, and this is where
Villemanns assertion fits in!

This is no proof, I know ! Unfortunately you can never get
to all the facts where royalty is concerned. That's part of the
trade if you like, the royal mystery; that's why speculations cannot
be entirely avoided when you're interested in royalty. While you
should never present speculations as facts, there's always the
grey-zone area called probability.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #611  
Old 09-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Of course, but it's when probability or assumptions are presented as steadfast fact, that we, the consumer, have a right to question the credibility of both the discussed subject and journalist. I understand that there are occasions when evidence, for reasons of confidentiality is unable to be granted. But where has evidence been given thus far? I've seen little, to no show of it.

Certainly I wasn't in Denmark at the time, and profess not to know the reaction or ambience of the situation when it arose. But my opinion rely's on facts and not estimations of 'truth', which until proven otherwise, remain just that.

Still, I appreciate your post Viv...
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Yes, I know it for a fact. The Queen said no.
It could well be that the queen said no. But there are several explanations for her reaction. One should not forget that when it came to the marriages of Margrethe and her sisters, the succession had been changed only a short time before - any Danish husband could well have outshone his wife and become in the public eye the "real" king of Denmark, especially as it was a quite new idea for the Danes to get a queen regnant. So, yes, it was better for the princesses to marry foreigners.

And in 1995 the whole Royal world watched the War of the Waleses and the role of the media involved (Dimbleby/Panorama) - surely Margarethe must have realised that Diana had such a strong position in the UK because she was an "English rose" from one of the best families and that she would have much less support from the media and thus much less destructive power if she had been a foreigner. So it makes sense that Margrethe advised her sons to look for their wifes elsewhere and seeing the outcome of the Fergie and Diana-divorces and that of Alexandra, I guess she was proven right by history.

What I wanted to say: the fact that Margrethe might have been against marrying Danes is not necessarily based in a negative view of the Danes - she is not necessarily condescending if she thinks that way, it's rather Royal pragmatism.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #613  
Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
The English though still favor an English bride for their future King. Look at who William is dating.

Actually the last true foreign Princess of Wales was Alexandra of Denmark who always retained her first love for her home country of Denmark. Mary was a German princess who had been raised as an Englishwoman and Prince Philip had been raised as an Englishman.

I don't know if other countries have these unspoken rules about who their Crown Prince should marry but England and Denmark seem to have the belief that the heir to the English throne should marry an Englishwoman and the heir to the Danish throne should marry a non-Dane.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #614  
Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
How much does the book go into the personality of Federik IX? Margrethe seemed to adore her father but I always thought he had great similarities to George VI both good qualities and bad.

Even before the advent of tabloid journalism, there was a story about the Prime Minister having a talk with Queen Ingrid about the King's drinking. It appeared as if the throne was a bit too much for him sometimes.

He also had the misfortune of having Christian X as a father. Christian X seemed like the most unmanageable and intimidating King ever and Queen Alexandrine seemed to have her hands full with him.

Christian X was still alive when Margrethe was a child so I wonder how much this family dynamic when Margrethe was born is covered in the book. It had to have had an impact on the way the family was raised later.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #615  
Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
My reaction at the time was that it was
overkill! Why go public about the break-up of a relationship, which
never was an official relationship? In hindsight, there must have been
a good reason for issuing such a statement, and this is where
Villemanns assertion fits in!
I had the same reaction - overkill. But I do think the reason for the statement was to - once and for all - make the media know that the relationship had ended and consequently there was no more reason for the media to speculate. Futhermore the message could be - if the media keept on speculating they were at risk of being sued by Katjas family.

So, this is another way of interpreting the event and Villemanns assertion does not fit in to this interpretation.

Fact is nobody knows why Katjas family chose this course of action except those involvede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
No, I will not, but has it been denied by any of the partiers invlved back then? No, It hasn't!
That is IMO an empty argument.

If TRF should walk around denying every speculation made by the media - they wouldn't have time for anything else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #616  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
If TRF should walk around denying every speculation made by the media
Pandering to the intrusiveness of the media would set a dangerous precedent. We think they're bad now...imagine what they'd be like if the RF openly clarified everything that went on in their lives. They'd be done for, not because of what they'd have to say but because they'd become the easy target.

The fact they don't really give much away is the best thing they can do. A dignified silence whether there's anything to say or not is certainly the best medicine. And the journo's hate it...even better...
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #617  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
The fact they don't really give much away is the best thing they can do. A dignified silence whether there's anything to say or not is certainly the best medicine. And the journo's hate it...even better...
That is true, silence is golden...........and the RF probably feel if they comment on all gossip, then it gives the gossip more publicity, which is defeating their purpose
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #618  
Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
that silly family tradition.
If it was in fact a tradition - you are right - then it would be silly.

But it is not a tradition. The reasons for marrying people not born in Denmark are - as many posters on this thread has written - multiple and quit understandable. I for one have no problems with Danish Princesses comming from abroad and as I have stated before if the love of Frederik life - CP Mary - had been danish she would still have become his wife. Their is no doubt in my mind!!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #619  
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,834
Well, sometimes you want to help love a bit, and steer it to another direction. It is widely said by Dutch reporters that Queen Beatrix preferred a foreign daughter-in-law too. At least it couldn't have been your neighbour, she has little friends, family etc. in the country that may talk and it makes a common daughter-in-law somehow less common. Now if the PoO would have married a Dutch barones the same thing would have been accomplished too of course, but he did not. It is a rather logical way of thinking and I can imagine that it might have come up in the head of the Queen of Denmark too. Royalty needs to be on some distanse to survive, and since they are all marrying commoners now, a foreigner at least provides some form of distance/ exotisism.

All this love talk is all fine, but the head of state has two roles in this: she is a mother and a head of state. If she does not think a girlfriend is up to the job she should do what she can to protect the institution, even if it means that it is not what her maternal instincts would say. I believe Queen Margrethe II, Queen Beatrix, King Albert II, King Juan-Carlos etc. have all done this in the past, and thank goodness that they did!
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #620  
Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, sometimes you want to help love a bit, and steer it to another direction. It is widely said by Dutch reporters that Queen Beatrix preferred a foreign daughter-in-law too.
Thanks Marengo, I was wondering about the Netherlands and about to ask! The difference between NL/DK is that this principle, as I believe it is does not apply to the younger sons of the monarch!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]