The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #501  
Old 08-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabant View Post
Let me identify myself.
I am Trine Villemann’s husband, Malcolm Brabant, and I am writing to stand up for my wife in the face of the unjustified vitriol being directed towards her.
I am also the editor of the English edition of 1015 Copenhagen K, and I adapted Trine’s translation from the original Danish.
I have been a journalist for more than 30 years.
And for the past 20 years I have been a foreign correspondent for the BBC.
I have been on assignment in more than 70 countries.
During that time I have won a couple of major reporting awards.
The reason I am telling you this is to vouch for and underline Trine’s journalistic credentials, not to brag about my own achievements.
Trine has been impeccable in sourcing the material for 1015 Copenhagen K.
I know the identity of her sources and, like her, I will take their names to the grave in order to protect them.
What I will say is that I was astonished at how close Trine got to the Danish Royal Family and at the scores of different sources she had.
Her sources are as good, if not better, than Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein’s anonymous “Deep Throat” from the Watergate scandal.
They certainly would pass the scrutiny of the editorial boards of the New York Times and the Washington Post.
I stand whole-heartedly and proudly beside my wife in this endeavour.
She is a fantastic, scrupulous, courageous journalist.
But that is not what you want to hear, and no doubt, I will be prevented from posting again.
The tenor of this forum is clearly from George Bush’s Texas.
It is - “You are either with us, or you are against us.”
No sane person needs to be reminded of the result of such attitudes.
Good of you to post, though I hardly think Villemann is in need of someone coming to her defence. She is, I'm sure, quite capable of deffending herself and has proved that right up till now.

As her husband, one would expect you stand proudly with your wife. Any worthy husband would, I'd have thought. However, if you feel compelled to now launch a 'counteracting tag team' against the opinions of others within the thread, who have as much of a right to disclose their opinions as your wife, then you shall most likely find the short end of the stick rather quickly.

Also, what your background experience has to do with supporting your wife (as is your clear and apparent reason for posting) I'm not sure. It seems quite void in many ways.
__________________

__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 08-17-2008, 05:09 AM
crisscross1's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Actually, CP Frederik, IMO, is not shy. He is the most charming, outgoing chap you can imagine, when you have him one-on-one and even in a small, private crowd. His problems start, when he has to perform. When he has to be a royal, cut the ribbon, make the speech, answer the questions etc. etc.
Do you have any reliable sources who can help you understand what the meaning of shy is? You obviously have little time or patience for people who don't shine in the midst of a crowd. Shy people hate being the centre of attention, they hate having extraverts point them out. In a small group Fred would seem like a charming man, but in a crowd, such as an opening ceremony, a state gathering, a wedding, christening etc, etc, he would want the earth to open up and swallow him. People who don't try to see life from a shy persons point of view really tick me off. Take some time out to appreciate what it feels like and then perhaps, you would have a little more patience for the Fred's of this world.
__________________

__________________
Everyone is born right-handed, only the gifted overcome it!!
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 08-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: athens, Greece
Posts: 5
Hello Australian,


(You wrote……Nice to meet you Brabant, but the problem i have with the book is that we do not know who these sources are. We, as intelligent human beings will simply not just believe without credible sources. A simple, "a friend said" or "sources close to the prince" cannot suffice. We can also not just accept that it is credible sources just because her husband says so. Are we meant to just take you and your wife's word for it?
Also, anyone who writes a book such as this should expect to be questioned etc, it shouldnt have come as a surprise that your wife is being questioned.)

Your question is perfectly understandable, and of course, I am not surprised that Trine is being grilled over her sources.
She has repeatedly stated that she would have preferred to have attributed her book to named sources.
But it was simply impossible.
The people she talked to, repeatedly and at considerable length, insisted upon anonymity.
They did not want to lose their royal connections or – in some cases - jobs.
Trine was required to use terms such as “friend” or “sources close to the prince” because to have been more specific would have been to assist detection.
This turned out to be an essential layer of protection for Trine’s sources, because after the Danish edition was published, Amalienborg started a “witch-hunt” to try to smoke them out.
Are you meant to take my word for it?
The reason I have spoke out now is that some of the moderators on this forum have questioned Trine’s integrity and have inferred that she is a low-calibre journalist.
I intend to continue as a BBC foreign correspondent.
I stand by my wife’s book.
I would not jeopardize my reputation and main source of income or undermine a long and relatively high profile career by putting my name to a project that was untrustworthy.
It is your choice whether you believe me.
Best wishes,
Malcolm Brabant
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: athens, Greece
Posts: 5
Madame Royale and Crisscross1,
My wife is more than capable of defending herself and fighting her corner.
And so this will probably be the last time you hear from me.
I have worked alongside Trine on scores of foreign assignments – many of them having an investigative nature.
She is one of the most observant and intelligent journalists I have ever encountered.
She has an unerring instinct and ability for uncovering the truth.
She happens to believe that following the cartoons crisis, this is one of the most important times in the modern history of the Danish monarchy.
Real friends are capable of asking tough questions.
And that is what 1015 is doing.
Goodbye.
Malcolm Brabant
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabant View Post

Your question is perfectly understandable, and of course, I am not surprised that Trine is being grilled over her sources.
She has repeatedly stated that she would have preferred to have attributed her book to named sources.
But it was simply impossible.
The people she talked to, repeatedly and at considerable length, insisted upon anonymity.
I haven't read the book and I don't possess it so can anyone tell me if there are a few stated sources in the book or is the book totally deprived of them?
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,166
I have been sitting back watching this thread as I had to resist the immediate impulse to "go for the jugular" rather than nut this out logically.

Essentially Trine wrote a book that is, by her own words, extremely critical (in parts) of the Danish Royal Family and Mary and Frederik in particular. She was also quoted as saying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
"Even if I have enough material to end the monarchy, I'm not after doing it," says the author - Metroxpress - Ny bog blotter kongehuset
Pretty inflammatory stuff.

Not surprisingly there are more than a few critical posts about said book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Also, anyone who writes a book such as this should expect to be questioned etc, it shouldnt have come as a surprise that your wife is being questioned.
She then joins TRF and vociferously participates in a thread named "1015 Kobenhavn K", the title of said book, to rebut those criticisms. But my problem is that Trine wrote the book, and when asked for corroboration of her sources she can only cite herself!

After many, sometimes acrimonious, posts, her husband, Brabant has felt the need to defend his wife's reputation and so also posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Nice to meet you Brabant, but the problem i have with the book is that we do not know who these sources are. We, as intelligent human beings will simply not just believe without credible sources. A simple, "a friend said" or "sources close to the prince" cannot suffice. We can also not just accept that it is credible sources just because her husband says so. Are we meant to just take you and your wife's word for it?
As Australian has so succinctly put it . . . there you have it. A very circular problem.

When we have read, critqued, lauded or lambasted previous books on Royalty we have done it remotely, impersonally. That privilige is not afforded us by this particular book and this particular thread.

By it's very nature, it is an advertisement for the book in question, and those that disagree with the veracity of the book or question the authors posts are attacked, sometimes on a very personal level.

It is said that there is no such thing as "Bad Publicity" and I tend to agree. We here on TRF are the poorer for it.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabant View Post
Madame Royale and Crisscross1,
My wife is more than capable of defending herself and fighting her corner.
And so this will probably be the last time you hear from me.
I have worked alongside Trine on scores of foreign assignments – many of them having an investigative nature.
She is one of the most observant and intelligent journalists I have ever encountered.
She has an unerring instinct and ability for uncovering the truth.
She happens to believe that following the cartoons crisis, this is one of the most important times in the modern history of the Danish monarchy.
Real friends are capable of asking tough questions.
And that is what 1015 is doing.
Goodbye.
Malcolm Brabant
Yes they do! Though the success depents how this is done. The danish royal family isn't perfect and especially CP Frederik has some issues with wich he has to work. Again as a shy person myself I'm very well able to regocnise one if I see one. Frederiks body language just screams shy, shy shy!!!!!

Nonetheless shy people aren't complete idiots. Shy people are very well able to defent themself if this is necessary. Beeing shy has nothing to do with beeing stupid, unable to socialise with other people or beeing weak. Shy people are very often very good comunicators in a small familiar surounding (like Frederik) but a desaster in a huge crowd (like Frederik). As a shy person once sayed it so well: whenever I have to join a new project, no one wants me and whenever I have to leave a project, no one wants me to leave.

Shy people are born shy and will die shy there is no way out. It's just the way how their brain works. I agree with Trine that his parents haven't helped Frederik to cope with this fact, in contrary they made things worse then they were allready. And the danish media have helped to make things worse too. Though his parents and also the media aren' the reason for his problems, they simple made things worse without trying to help him. A shy person definitly doesn't need other people to tell him how awkward and unworthy he is. A shy person needs help to cope with shyness better in public. Bullying publicly such a person endlessly to get help isn't the solution, especially if this person is as subborn and proud as the danish CP. I would expect a journalist who has done proper research to know this and to address this in a proper way.

Nonetheless to me it's remarkable how well Frderik is still able to cope with his fate and his personal problem. I think he has done a lot to build up strength and self confidence to cope with his fate and his problems. Probably his way to build up this confidnce (becoming a action man) isn't what some people may have expected or wanted. Though in my opinion he has done it in his way and was quite successful. Maybe the IOC candacy can be the last reason to finally take up the last fight against his main problem. Trines book won't be of any help to solve Frederks main problem at least not in my opinion judging by her coments at this board and in her interviews, sadly it could have been.

< ed by Warren >
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabant View Post
She happens to believe that following the cartoons crisis, this is one of the most important times in the modern history of the Danish monarchy.
Take a break - her book is no way near the course of events happening after Jyllandsposten published thouse drawings. Thinking it is - is simply being compleatly out of touch with reality.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Actually, CP Frederik, IMO, is not shy. He is the most charming, outgoing chap you can imagine, when you have him one-on-one and even in a small, private crowd. His problems start, when he has to perform. When he has to be a royal, cut the ribbon, make the speech, answer the questions etc. etc.
If it is so, then this will probably change the moment he is king and there isn't mum around who wants explanations occasionally.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I have YEARS of reporting on the royals behind me. Why does that not count, when it obviously counts for the journalists at N.Y.Times? I tried to avoids anonymous sources too, and IF you had read my book, you would know they are not all anonymous. I had an "editorial board " as well, because I had an editor - one of the best in the business - who was constantly on my case about documentation.
My problem with your work in general, which I have because of how I read your postings here, is that while I'm convinced that you are a well-connected journalist who can probably back up her "anonymous" sources if challenged, I find you're too opinionated to be taken without a sack of salt.

As a fellow journalist/author I know perfectly well that it's the author who selects the means of research, it's interviewer who sets the tone of an interview, it's the choice of questions which influence the answers, it's the author's perception which interprets the result of the research and decides on which statements to publish and which to leave out of the overall picture. So as it seems you were looking for support for your own theseses on the Danish RF you selected according to your aim. Simple as that.

You haven't given at least me the idea that you were trying to be neutral but that you were writing your own "Villemann Manifesto" and not an account who tries to be fair and unbiased. But that's what i think is what the Danish RF deserves: to be treated in all fairness and as unbiased as possible. While you are using your power of publication to try to convince other people that what the Danes have is bad and that "they deserve a better monarchy". Thus the comparison with the "Manifesto for the Communist Party" where Marx and Engels tried to convince the masses that what they had was bad and change was needed. And we all know how this ended when Royalty was concerned...
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #511  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Take a break - her book is no way near the course of events happening after Jyllandsposten published thouse drawings. Thinking it is - is simply being compleatly out of touch with reality.
Ok, English is not your first language: Let me, therefore, explain in simlpler terms: FOLLOWING the cartoons crisis,IMO (IN MY OPINION) the monarchy is more crucial that ever, because ,IMO (IN MY OPINION) it needs to work out how to protect Danish values without antagonizing Denmark's growing number of muslims. As a national rallying point the Danish Royal House IMO (IN MY OPINION) is facing it's biggest challenge in decades trying to make those two ends meet.
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #512  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
She then joins TRF and starts a thread named "1015 Kobenhavn K",

For the record, I did NOT start this thread!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #513  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:38 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,166
Oh well said Jo! I am in total agreement with your analogies.

My apologies Trine. There are so many of your posts I missed that.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #514  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,423
This thread was started by moderator dazzling in October 2007.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #515  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
My problem with your work in general, which I have because of how I read your postings here, is that while I'm convinced that you are a well-connected journalist who can probably back up her "anonymous" sources if challenged, I find you're too opinionated to be taken without a sack of salt.

As a fellow journalist/author I know perfectly well that it's the author who selects the means of research, it's interviewer who sets the tone of an interview, it's the choice of questions which influence the answers, it's the author's perception which interprets the result of the research and decides on which statements to publish and which to leave out of the overall picture. So as it seems you were looking for support for your own theseses on the Danish RF you selected according to your aim. Simple as that.

You haven't given at least me the idea that you were trying to be neutral but that you were writing your own "Villemann Manifesto" and not an account who tries to be fair and unbiased. But that's what i think is what the Danish RF deserves: to be treated in all fairness and as unbiased as possible. While you are using your power of publication to try to convince other people that what the Danes have is bad and that "they deserve a better monarchy". Thus the comparison with the "Manifesto for the Communist Party" where Marx and Engels tried to convince the masses that what they had was bad and change was needed. And we all know how this ended when Royalty was concerned...
I have tried to be very fair and unbiased in my book - which I think you would see, if you had actually read it! Some authors choose to let their work stand alone. I choose to back up my work with how I interpret the information, I have gathered. I am trying to use my work to improve an institution, I believe needs improving.
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #516  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
This thread was started by moderator dazzling in October 2007.
Thanks Warren, I have already corrected my misconception as pointed out by Villemann.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #517  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Ok, English is not your first language: Let me, therefore, explain in simlpler terms: FOLLOWING the cartoons crisis,IMO (IN MY OPINION) the monarchy is more crucial that ever, because ,IMO (IN MY OPINION) it needs to work out how to protect Danish values without antagonizing Denmark's growing number of muslims. As a national rallying point the Danish Royal House IMO (IN MY OPINION) is facing it's biggest challenge in decades trying to make those two ends meet.
You are intitled to express you oppinion, just like I am - but being condescending isn't the best way to communicate if one wishes to convince others.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #518  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
This thread was started by moderator dazzling in October 2007.
Thanks for setting the record straight!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #519  
Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I have tried to be very fair and unbiased in my book - which I think you would see, if you had actually read it! Some authors choose to let their work stand alone. I choose to back up my work with how I interpret the information, I have gathered. I am trying to use my work to improve an institution, I believe needs improving.
Just wanted to ask (don't take it personally, it's not an attack), do you believe you can be pretty unbiased when you do an interpretation of information you gather?
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #520  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , Italy
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
opinions vary, you see in my opinion Mary's statement showed that she was terribly upset about the book, and her facial expressions during her Pre Christmas photo shoot showed the same! imho she would have sued if she could have, it is VERY VERY important to her to keep up apearances. Don't be mistaken, I admire her and the change she has gone through, but I am entitled t my opinion. Empress, your atitude to Trinnie is on the personal level, beleive me the book isn't personally malicious, but the tone of your comments are!

The reason why Mary can be upset because she is afraid to come out the truth.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth carl philip charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games olympics ottoman poland pom pregnancy president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]