The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
Well, until the majority of the Danish population comes to the same conclusion that you as a Danish citizen or as a writer have come to, then I doubt seriously that an over 1000 year old monarchy is in any danger of needing life support or expiring anytime in the near future.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
...[snipped] ... the times are changing and the monarchy will have to change too - or face extinction!
Miss Villemann,
I do apoligse, but you start sounding like Senator Obama. Your views are a bit too extreme, to say the least.
The Danish Royal family, along with a number of other royal families, has been proving that the Constitutional Monarchy can be the viable form of government. Given the fast paced external environment, the presence of a monarchy inspires a sense of community and nationalism. You would agree with me that there are grey cardinals behind the monarchy ensuring the stability of this societal institution.
By the way, I do not think that the Japanese Imperial family and the Imperial Household Agency seek any advice from any journalists on how to operate or what should be changed.
__________________

__________________
"To watch the sun sink behind a flower clad hill.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
So you're actually telling us that you and only you made the Royals progress?

You seem pretty sure of yourself ...
I know the inner workings of the palace. It was for many years my business to be on top of these matters. I then had some timeout while I raised my family, but when I decided to write my book, I got back in touch with a lot of old sources within and outside the palace. There was a new Lord Chamberlain and a few longtime and very loyal staff had left, but basically nothing had changed. I have seen more changes at Amalienborg in the past eight months than I have seen in the past 20 years. Is it all because of my book? Of course not! A severe tightening of the royal finances, for instance, had begun before 1015 was released. The Queen, who is a patron of the Danish Cancer Society, had stopped smoking in public before 1015 came out, BUT I take full credit for the changes I listed in my reply to Lila. The palace today, for instance, has a very capable and professional press secretary in Mrs Lene Balleby. I happen to know Mrs Balleby from the time, when we both worked at the Egmont Publishing House in Copenhagen.I was a journalist at the weekly "Hjemmet" and she was an executive assistant to the management of Egmont. The PR of the Danish Royal Family has never been in better hands!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Most people here are commenting on your comments, and not upon the book itself. I stated clearly that I had not yet read the book, but the great majority of my comments were directed at comments of yours.
I suggest you read my book - especially the final chapter! It answers a lot of your questions. Yes, I do seriously believe that my 1000 year old monarchy needs life support. As for me promoting my book and my views here. Let me just remind you, that I did not start this thread. If you feel uneasy with thist thread, perhaps you should take it up with you fellow moderators?
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Miss Villemann,
I do apoligse, but you start sounding like Senator Obama. Your views are a bit too extreme, to say the least. The Danish Royal family, along with a number of other royal families, has been proving that the Constitutional Monarchy can be the viable form of government. Given the fast paced external environment, the presence of a monarchy inspires a sense of community and nationalism. You would agree with me that there are grey cardinals behind the monarchy that would ensure the stability of this societal institution.
By the way, I do not think that the Japanese Imperial family and the Imperial Household Agency seek any advice from any journalists on how to operate or what should be changed.
I have never stated that the imperial household seeks advice from journalists, nor that they ought to. I just said that it is my impression after having been to the imperial palace in Tokyo and met the imperial family that their household is completely removed from the rest of Japanese society, whereas the Danish Royal Household, mainly due to it's constututional role, is more integrated in Danish society. I agree with you about community and nationalism and our royal family works both with fairness and due balance. However, I see other royal households in Europe adapting to the times, we are all living in. Why is it so outrageous to ask the Danish Royal family to do the same?
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
No you did not start it, but you are certainly making full use of it.

In any case, I don't think that I will buy your book, as I tend to want to read things, like kimebear, that have at least some verifiable sources. And I certainly don't have any desire to read a book where the author is making claims of having effected changes simply because of what she wrote. I just can't believe that anything that you may have written was so earth shattering.

And by the way, I generally read the reviews, not only of the people who have read the book, but of other published authors before I buy. Why would you put any negative reviews on your website? That would be like shooting yourself in the foot, so I read the reviews of the people here who have read the book. The majority of which are not glowing. I don't know about others, but when a majority says that the book is not really worth it, I'm not likely to plunk down $30 or more.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
As a Dane I am sure you know the word "tossegod." I think that word pretty much describes the relationsship you and many other Danes have with the royal family.
Nice to knew that you consider me and my fellow countrymen to be "tossegode" which for all of you who doesn't understand danish is a word used to discount others meaning "So good in heart that it resembles stupidity".

Perhaps you to should act in accordance with the rules at this forum. Especially as you just have asked Empress to do so.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
"Tossegod" is not a derogatory word. On the contrary. Its a term of endearment! Who just called my book "tittle-tattle" without having read all of it? Lets debate the monarchy, shall we?
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I have never stated that the imperial household seeks advice from journalists, nor that they ought to. I just said that it is my impression after having been to the imperial palace in Tokyo and met the imperial family that their household is completely removed from the rest of Japanese society, whereas the Danish Royal Household, mainly due to it's constututional role, is more integrated in Danish society. I agree with you about community and nationalism and our royal family works both with fairness and due balance. However, I see other royal households in Europe adapting to the times, we are all living in. Why is it so outrageous to ask the Danish Royal family to do the same?
You are correct noting that the Danish Royal family is more integrated into the Danish society. At the same time, the role of monarchy is clearly defined in the Constitution. The Danish Royal family is not allowed to overstep certain boundaries. Members of the royal family seem to be hostages of preserving the mystique and pleasing the common people. It is a rather tough task. I am sure that members of the royal family do whatever they are required to do.
As for the Japanese Imperial family, I would like to re-phrase the sentence. "... I do not think that the Japanese Imperial family and the Imperial Household Agency would seek/listen to any advice from any journalists on how to operate or what should be changed” … Perhaps it is good that they are removed from the society at large.
__________________
"To watch the sun sink behind a flower clad hill.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Ahem, I believe we're here to discuss the book, not insult each other, each other's work, or make broad generalizations about the Danish people…

Furthermore, unless we're discussing the book - I believe the discussions on the Danish royal family belong in that forum. We do, as it has been mentioned earlier in this thread - have a topic for Frederik's candidacy for the IOC, and, provided people can behave, I'm sure there's plenty of other options as well.

Please get back to the book!


That being said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I suggest you read my book - especially the final chapter! It answers a lot of your questions.
But to me, as I believe I stated in my review quite early in this thread written after I'd read the book for the first time, the final chapter of the book was the chapter that was, to me, quite a lot out of touch with the rest of the book writing-wise.

Where I quite enjoyed the first parts of the book - an overview which was rather good, in my opinion, and it was excellent reading material for a long trip by train - I felt like the last chapter of the book belonged more on a blog, a message board or as an opinion piece in a newspaper.

Where the rest of the book seemed to be more about the history and the family, the last chapter seemed to be more about your fairly subjective opinions on the Danish monarchy. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, per se, but like all the interviews that came out about the book, it didn't really feel like it fit in the context of the previous parts.

All in all, I don't think it is as scandalous a book as royal posters would like to believe, and quite frankly not worth all the hype, but it was an interesting read for someone who hasn't followed the Danish tabloid press from birth. (Now, the Norwegian monarchy on the other hand )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
No you did not start it, but you are certainly making full use of it.

In any case, I don't think that I will buy your book, as I tend to want to read things, like kimebear, that have at least some verifiable sources. And I certainly don't have any desire to read a book where the author is making claims of having effected changes simply because of what she wrote. I just can't believe that anything that you may have written was so earth shattering.

And by the way, I generally read the reviews, not only of the people who have read the book, but of other published authors before I buy. Why would you put any negative reviews on your website? That would be like shooting yourself in the foot, so I read the reviews of the people here who have read the book. The majority of which are not glowing. I don't know about others, but when a majority says that the book is not really worth it, I'm not likely to plunk down $30 or more.
Is there a problem with me making "full use of it?" Because if there is, you should address it with your supervisor - not me! On my website it says: "Uncut - unless it's libellous." Every review we have received has been posted. If a negative one shows up, we will post it. Please point me to ALL of those reviews, you have had on this forum, that are SO negative apart from the newspaper reviews we all know about! I might have missed some! I am not afraid - as you might have gathered - of criticism and debate. I welcome it and even invite it, because the more we debate these issues the more chance there is of change. I respect people, who educate themselves. people, who are not fundamentalist in their belief system, but make up their own mind based on what they read. Prejudice is an ugly beast.
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
"Tossegod" is not a derogatory word. On the contrary.
By that sentence you have made your credebility - zero.

I stead of calling a person "tossegod" one might just as well use the word "idiot".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Who just called my book "tittle-tattle" without having read all of it? Lets debate the monarchy, shall we?
To be precise I used the frase "tittle-tattle" in conection to the word article - not book.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
Ahem, I believe we're here to discuss the book, not insult each other, each other's work, or make broad generalizations about the Danish people…

Furthermore, unless we're discussing the book - I believe the discussions on the Danish royal family belong in that forum. We do, as it has been mentioned earlier in this thread - have a topic for Frederik's candidacy for the IOC, and, provided people can behave, I'm sure there's plenty of other options as well.

Please get back to the book!


That being said:


But to me, as I believe I stated in my review quite early in this thread written after I'd read the book for the first time, the final chapter of the book was the chapter that was, to me, quite a lot out of touch with the rest of the book writing-wise.

Where I quite enjoyed the first parts of the book - an overview which was rather good, in my opinion, and it was excellent reading material for a long trip by train - I felt like the last chapter of the book belonged more on a blog, a message board or as an opinion piece in a newspaper.

Where the rest of the book seemed to be more about the history and the family, the last chapter seemed to be more about your fairly subjective opinions on the Danish monarchy. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, per se, but like all the interviews that came out about the book, it didn't really feel like it fit in the context of the previous parts.

All in all, I don't think it is as scandalous a book as royal posters would like to believe, and quite frankly not worth all the hype, but it was an interesting read for someone who hasn't followed the Danish tabloid press from birth. (Now, the Norwegian monarchy on the other hand )
And the final chapter was also the one I really had to fight for. My editor wanted more of the biographical stuff and I could have provided much more, but the whole "deal" for me was to channel the knowledge and information I had gathered over the years and with this book into an "editorial" - if you like - on the state of the Danish monarchy. That final chapter breaks completely with the style of the rest of book, I agree. But it does also explain, why I feel the monarchy so desperately needs to change, doesn't it?
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
By that sentence you have made your credebility - zero.

I stead of calling a person "tossegod" one might just as well use the word "idiot".



To be precice I used "tittle-tattle" in conection to the word article - not book.

You are SO wrong. Just checked with my Theasaurus. "Tossegod" is "troskyldig." It has NOTHING to do with "idiot."
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
You are SO wrong. Just checked with my Theasaurus. "Tossegod" is "troskyldig." It has NOTHING to do with "idiot."
I believe you should check out this website then ... softheaded: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I believe you should check out this website then ... softheaded: Definition, Synonyms and Much More from Answers.com
I have got the newest edition of "Politikens Thesaurus" right next to me. I don't know if you are Danish but a "tossegod" person is NOT an "idiot."
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
You are SO wrong. Just checked with my Theasaurus. "Tossegod" is "troskyldig." It has NOTHING to do with "idiot."
Well I woun't walk around in Denmark calling people either "Tossegode" or "troskyldige". If I did - I would pritty soon be without any friends.

"Troskyldige" though - will not be connectet to the word "idiot" but to the word "naive" which nobody want to be called either not even teenagers who often can seem naive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,345
Nobody cares what the words Tossegod or Troskyldig means! And enough of the insults as Norwegianne noted several posts above!!

Move on people and talk about the topic at hand!

GT
Royal Library Mod
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:53 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
And the final chapter was also the one I really had to fight for. My editor wanted more of the biographical stuff and I could have provided much more, but the whole "deal" for me was to channel the knowledge and information I had gathered over the years and with this book into an "editorial" - if you like - on the state of the Danish monarchy. That final chapter breaks completely with the style of the rest of book, I agree. But it does also explain, why I feel the monarchy so desperately needs to change, doesn't it?
If that was your intent from the get-go, then I feel the rest of the book should have been written (and edited more) as an editorial rather than merely the history.

There was another book on the Danish monarchy, Blot til Pynt, by Claus Bjørn (published in 2001, if I recall right), which, to me, felt like more what you might have intended with your book, if I read you right, here, (although feel free to disagree if I'm falling short of the mark) - the author's opinions coupled with the history/facts behind them and at the end a discussion of the future of the monarchy in Denmark?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
If that was your intent from the get-go, then I feel the rest of the book should have been written (and edited more) as an editorial rather than merely the history.

There was another book on the Danish monarchy, Blot til Pynt, by Claus Bjørn (published in 2001, if I recall right), which, to me, felt like more what you might have intended with your book, if I read you right, here, (although feel free to disagree if I'm falling short of the mark) - the author's opinions coupled with the history/facts behind them and at the end a discussion of the future of the monarchy in Denmark?
My editor knew I could deliver a good, honest account of what the royals are really like behind the palace walls without entering the royal bedrooms. I was willing to do that as long as I got "My Final Say," if you like. Probably - with hindsight - not the best solution. I have certainly learned my lesson and my next book on the Danish monarchy will be completely different.
__________________

__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]